20 of the most unique foods in the world

We know food differs all around the world, but some dishes are a bit out of the left field. We've always thought those kinds of brow-raising dishes were things like Casu Marzu from Italy, which is a type of cheese infested with live maggots, or A-ping from Cambodia, which translates to deep-fried tarantulas (yes, tarantulas as in the spiders). But according to the internet, one of the '20 most unique foods in the world' is Vegemite on toast.

Yes, you read that correctly. Someone has put together a list of the 20 most unique foods from around the world and posted it on Reddit, and everyone is agreeing that these 20 foods are certainly unique. Now to say that I'm feeling a little bit attacked that our favourite Aussie spread was listed is an understatement! And to give you a good idea of what other unique foods our beloved Vegemite is up against, let me give you the run down…

1. Casu Marzu
Casu Marzu, as I said in the introduction, is a type of cheese infested with live maggots. It apparently has a soft texture with a spicy taste and bitter undertone. Its country of origin is said to be Italy.

shutterstock_1547856944.jpg
Casu Marzu. Image source: Shutterstock.

2. Century Egg
Century Eggs are made by preserving an egg for many weeks or months in a mixture of clay, salt, wood ash, and quicklime. During this process, the outer egg white turns dark brown or black and becomes gelatinous, while the inner egg yolk becomes dark green. They’re said to be extremely rich in a salty-like flavour and are considered a delicacy. Its country of origin is China, but Century Eggs can also be found in Hong Kong and Taiwan.

3. Shirako
Shirako, to put it plainly, is fish semen. I’m not too sure why this one is considered ‘unique’ seeing as fish eggs are quite widely accepted. Apparently, it tastes salty and slightly fishy (go figure). Its country of origin is Japan.

4. Tiet Canh
Tiet Canh is a raw blood pudding that is often served with cooked meat. It has a dedicated fanbase that describes it as simultaneously buttery and sour, with a gelatinous texture. Critics, however, describe a metallic taste. According to tasteatlas.com the dish has caused controversy due to the danger of ingesting meat bacteria, but it has not been officially banned. Its country of origin is Vietnam.

5. Vegemite on toast
Yes, folks! That’s right. Our beloved Vegemite has landed on this list. It is explained as a yeast spread that requires an “acquired taste” to eat. Apparently, it tastes salty 😉 and its country of origin is none other than Australia.

shutterstock_273233843.jpg
Vegemite on toast. Image source: Shutterstock.

I’m not going to go into as much detail with the other 15 dishes, because my goodness we will be here all day! But I do want to list the rest of the dishes and see what you all think of them!

6. Bosintang. A stew made with dog meat. Its country of origin is South Korea.
7. Fruit Bat Soup. It’s in the name folks! This is a boiled broth with fruit bats in it. Its country of origin is Palau.
8. Ubre Asada. Grilled cow udder. Its country of origin is Argentina.
9. Maguro no Medama. Cooked tuna eyeballs. Its country of origin is Japan.
10. Hákari. Fermented pungent shark meat. Its country of origin is Iceland.
11. Virgin Boy Eggs. Eggs cooked in the urine of prepubescent boys. Its country of origin is China.
12. Surströmming. Canned fermented herring. Its country of origin is Sweden.

shutterstock_1235702830.jpg
Surströmming. Image source: Shutterstock.

13. Akutaq. Reindeer fat, fish and berries ice cream. Its country of origin is the USA.
14. Rocky mountain oysters. Deep-fried bull testicles. Its country of origin is the USA.
15. Muktuk. Frozen whale skin and blubber. Its country of origin is the USA.
16. Balut. Cooked duck embryo. Its country of origin is the Philippines.
17. Beondegi. Silkworm pupae insects. Its country of origin is South Korea.
18. Crappit heid. Stuffed and boiled fish head. Its country of origin is Scotland.
19. Pinikpikan. Chicken beaten to death. Its country of origin is the Philippines.
20. A-Ping. Fried tarantulas. Its country of origin is Cambodia.

shutterstock_484664578.jpg
Balut. Image source: Shutterstock.

Now folks, as I said at the start of the article we know food is different all over the world and we aren’t here to bring any country down about its food choices! However, we are a bit taken aback to read that Vegemite is considered as unique as the rest of these dishes? What do you think folks? Is our beloved yeast spread really that strange?

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci and BJM
Sponsored
I would had never put vegemite in with this lot. What makes vegemite different to the other yeast spread, I know it is not sweet like some but compared to the other foods, it is not that different.

Why is Vegemite on toast on the list but not Marmite, or Promite or Bonox. Vegemite and Marmite are surprisingly similar in taste and definitely something you have to be born to to enjoy, but I wouldn't have put it in the top 20. Have you seen what other countries enjoy?:):ROFLMAO::rolleyes:

I have seen overseas visitors try vegemite for the first time and literally spit it out and rate it as one of the most revolting things they've ever tried. Aussie kids are raised on Vegemite and acquire the taste from a very young age. I'm in my 70s and still love my vegemite toast.

Reactions: Ricci