SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Vella Gonzaga

Vella Gonzaga

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 23, 2021
1960s hairstyles

Remember the hairstyles of the 1960s? I can’t help but smile when I think about those fabulous 1960s hairdos. Back then, people embraced a more playful approach, infusing their looks with vibrant colours and a touch of flair. Thursday nights meant one thing: off to the hairdressers! And come Saturday morning, it was all about that trusty comb up to make it last the entire weekend. Who else spent each night putting rollers in their hair, determined to wake up with perfect curls or waves? Oh, the lengths Aussies went to for that sleek look! Did you proudly rock a hairstyle just like this back in the day?

348260921_1310412279871826_2521886483124148314_n.jpg
Credits: Facebook/Australia Remember When

Just had to reply to this one. As a 17yr old my girlfriends and I would meet up at my home on a Saturday, wash our hair rinse it with Magic Silver White made up in a glass milk bottle and then sit out in the backyard in the sun waiting for our hair to dry. My darling old Mum ( now passed) would look out and laugh and say “wait till you are older you will be dying your hair to hide the grey”. We’d scoff and reply “No not us”. Guess what I do now. But gee we were ready doe Saturday night dances.

Just had to reply to this one. As a 17yr old my girlfriends and I would meet up at my home on a Saturday, wash our hair rinse it with Magic Silver White made up in a glass milk bottle and then sit out in the backyard in the sun waiting for our hair to dry. My darling old Mum ( now passed) would look out and laugh and say “wait till you are older you will be dying your hair to hide the grey”. We’d scoff and reply “No not us”. Guess what I do now. But gee we were ready doe Saturday night dances.
'Guess what I do now' --- well dear mum must be saying 'I told you so, @Nah' from the afterlife, haha! What a lovely memory to share, thank you!

Backcombing (shudder very bad for your hair) to get the height and loads of hairspray, hair rollers - plastic prickly things that were always getting caught in your hair when trying to remove them. Lots of pain but we thought we were so beautiful!

Reactions: Gsr
How I remember the girls I did my nurses training with in the 70s putting magic purple silver white in their hair. As we lived in the nurses home, it was compulsory back then for all trainee nurses to live in, going home only on days off, even the married ones, most of the towels we were issued to use ended up stained with purple. The domestic staff in the nurses home would rouse and carry on about it but the girls kept doing it. They would set and tease their hair up when going out, the amount of hairspray used was surely very bad for the environment. Boys would slick their hair back with hair oil, imagine using that now. When my kids were younger all strengths of gel came into vogue, wow some of the hairstyles that people created with gel were pretty outrageous. I have never felt the need to do anything with my naturally curly hair, I have never used any dye in it or had it permed, straightened or teased until it is ready to fall out. I am in my late 60s and have barely any grey hair but when and if I go grey I reckon I’ve earn it and will embrace it.

Reactions: starrysnan