12 clever Vaseline Hacks to make your life EASIER and more COMFORTABLE!

Vaseline, also known as petrolatum or petroleum jelly, or soft paraffin, is a transparent, odourless, colourless, viscous liquid derived from petroleum. The magical stuff has been around since 1870 – just over 150 years.

We often use it to moisturise our lips, but petroleum jelly can also be applied to and around our hair, eyes, and skin to keep them healthy and protected.

The multi-purpose ‘wonder jelly’ also works as a fast-acting and highly effective home remedy for a great number of health and beauty problems.

We at the SDC would like to share with you our favourite and best-kept Vaseline recipes, tricks, and hacks.

1. Soothe cracked heels

Vaseline works as both a skin care treatment and a foot scrub! If your heels are flaking and dry, rub a small amount on them, cover them with fuzzy socks, and go to bed. In the morning, you’ll have soft, smooth feet! This hack actually works, folks!

DALL·E 2022-09-28 17.11.37 - vaseline next to a pair of feet, digital art.png
We had no idea you could use vaseline for help with cracked feet! Did you? Source: OpenAI.

2. Remove eye makeup

If you don’t have makeup remover at your disposal, massage some Vaseline onto your lids and wipe it away using a cotton pad.

3. Keep perfume from fading

If your favourite fragrance fades too quickly, rub a little Vaseline on the areas of your body where you apply your perfume (elbows, back of the knees, neck, and wrists) before you spray. This simple step will keep the scent of your perfume strong for much longer!

4. It can also be used as a lash serum

Lash serum can be pretty expensive. If you’re in the market for a less expensive alternative that can also help your lashes grow, then Vaseline will work perfectly. Just apply a small amount to your lashes every morning instead of mascara!

5. Prevent nail polish from drying

If your nail polish bottles dry up quickly, giving you the unpleasant task of struggling to open the tops, then apply a little Vaseline around the inside of the lids before storage. You’ll be able to open them easily the next time you need to use them.

6. Turn powder makeup products into cream formulas

To turn powder cosmetics into cream products, simply add a little Vaseline to them. The petroleum jelly will act as a binder and will turn any loose pigments, eye shadows, or lipsticks into cream formulas.

7. Make your own highlighter

Looking for a cheap and quick alternative to the pricey highlighters on the market? Then use a trick that's so simple you won't believe it! Just dab a little Vaseline on the tops of your cheekbones for a beautiful and natural luminous glow. Just be careful if you have acne-prone skin as the occlusive nature of the jelly may cause further problems.

8. Fix damaged hair

If your hair is dry and brittle, apply a small amount of Vaseline to the areas that need extra nourishment. This will smooth down any flyaways and reduce the appearance of split ends.

9. Prevent skin staining

If you ever dye your hair or paint your nails, you know how annoying it is to have the colour seep into your skin and stain it. Keep this from happening by applying some petroleum jelly on your hairline and around your nails before getting started.

10. Tame your brows

Unruly eyebrows can make your whole makeup look messy. To tame them, simply apply a little Vaseline onto your brows. This will act as a brow gel and will keep them in place all day.

11. Get rid of stubborn stains

Foundation stains on clothes and bed linens can be a real pain to remove! If you've tried everything, then you should try adding a little Vaseline to a wet washcloth. The oil in the jelly will help break down the makeup stains and make them easier to remove when you throw your clothes into the washing machine.

12. Make lip balm

With a bit of beeswax and Vaseline, you can make your own lip balm. This simple recipe is super easy to make (just mix them in a 1:1 ratio) and will leave your lips soft and hydrated.

Do you have more Vaseline tips to share with us? Comment down below and let us know!

By the way, members, a word of caution: Be sure not to use too much Vaseline as it can cause more problems than it solves. When used in excess, it can clog pores and lead to breakouts.

Looking for more? Check out the video below:

Reactions: Ricci and BJM
Sponsored
Thanks for that information Dancerpauline,a great suggestion as mozzies love me far too much ...they will literally chase me for my heated blood!! My shopping list has an addition.
Would Vicks do the same ..except for the aroma?:+}

Reactions: Ricci
Vaseline was a staple in my Mothers first aid kit. She used to slather it on absolutely anything and everything, firmly believing it was a universal panacea and cure-all. I grew to hate the stuff and once I'd left home refused to have anything to do with it. It's only recently I've incorporated a bit of Pawpaw cream (another petroleum product) into my self-care. :)

Reactions: Suzanne rose
Vaseline was a staple in my Mothers first aid kit. She used to slather it on absolutely anything and everything, firmly believing it was a universal panacea and cure-all. I grew to hate the stuff and once I'd left home refused to have anything to do with it. It's only recently I've incorporated a bit of Pawpaw cream (another petroleum product) into my self-care. :)
It was a staple in my grandmothers medicine cabinet

Personally I don't like the idea of putting a petroleum by-product on my skin. Many good alternatives such as beeswax and coconut oil.