10-year-old girl BARELY SURVIVES electrocution while fixing a bedroom appliance — “I looked at my hands and I screamed”

No one likes to think about their appliances breaking down. After all, they’re expensive to replace and repair. However, faulty appliances can pose a serious risk to your home and family.

Such has been the unfortunate case for 10-year-old Neveah Majok who has barely survived an electric shock while trying to fix a broken fan.

The Year 5 student was hospitalised and required skin grafts after the accident left her with severe burns.

“I quickly pulled my hands away as soon as I got the chance ... I screamed,” Neveah recalled, sharing how she managed to save herself from the terrifying incident.

The 10-year-old said that she was unable to move or call for help when the electric current rippled through her so she had to think and act quickly in order to save her life.

Speaking to 7News, Neveah shared that she was packing away her fan to replace it with her heater when the accident occurred.

M93k14LYku83BSsIqUpE-zf0bwvSIIQ2N0-8N7gGV3vdOdaE4P_rtzma_N4BueKbcIkOiWDmvyXL_cHxKnJ-Df6TcqPk7rkH_XL0XOzogOQ9ucl-nEH0go-TTq7cnBWSDjNFc-5bXKGVUDk88w

Neveah said that she was not able to move nor scream as the electricity rippled through her body. Crest: 7News.

She recalled: “It dropped on the floor so I brought it back to my room to go fix it.”

“I unscrewed it, I put the lid on my bed and then it was still plugged in and when I was moving my hands ... my hands sort of touched it and they got stuck there for a while and I couldn’t take them off and then I started vibrating.”

Neveah said that she did everything to call out for help but the flowing electricity disabled her from making any audible sound.

“I tried giving them a warning, tried to tell them to get out, go get mum, go get help, but they weren’t able to understand me because the vibration of the fan made it hard for me to talk,” she narrated.

“I couldn’t talk or move my body, but I was still able to see and hear my siblings and everything around me perfectly.”

Left without any other choice, the Year 5 student decided to rip her hands from the faulty appliance as soon as she could to save herself.

“My mum came running to the room and asked what happened. I looked at my hands and I screamed," she continued.

Neveah's mother, Mandy Sibaly, recalled the moment she saw her daughter suffering from the burns, admitting that she immediately assumed the worst and was frantic at the time.

“Everything was running through my mind,” she said.

“I could smell burnt hair but I was hoping it was plastic not her fingers because she couldn’t feel any pain. It was scary.”

The mum rushed the 10-year-old to the hospital for treatment.

gD-Sq8zWx_SPssDGIXccWxXkA_PCquul7NIThdTFzVvfM1gXCCkcZjHUOofb6qL047B3HVqWjBl2KUkr4qIk5H0ebIA7w45XFaVO6tSu2o3OT-PP7qLwmk7eUg3pd7_v_z_4UgBr0B1lAJFWrQ

The 10-year-old suffered severe burns. Credit: 7News.

Now, Neveah is back to her healthy self, claiming that she hardly feels any pain. However, a scar from the incident has formed, reminding her of the unfortunate day.

WA Building and Energy's Matthew Peacock said that the 10-year-old's terrifying story should serve as a reminder of the dangers of electricity to families, especially those who have small children.

He advised: "If you’ve got appliances, check them and if they’re damaged, get rid of them or get a qualified person to fix them.”

Meanwhile, Kidsafe WA CEO Scott Phillips revealed that about 75% of child electrocution cases occurred at the home, noting that more and more households fail to "child-proof" the electrical appliances.

“Sadly, we lose about three children to electrocution in Australia every year, so it’s really important that we supervise our children,” he explained.

“It’s also important we all understand how much electricity is in the house ... and what those key safety messages are.”

It’s important to be aware of the risks posed by faulty appliances and to take steps to prevent any accidents that they may cause in our homes and wellbeing.

Here are a few risks to be aware of when it comes to faulty appliances:

1. Fire hazards.

Faulty appliances can pose a serious fire hazard in your home. If an appliance starts to overheat, it can easily ignite surrounding materials and start a fire.

2. Electrocution hazards.

Another serious hazard posed by faulty appliances is the risk of electrocution. If an appliance is not properly grounded, or if its wiring is damaged, it can easily shock anyone who comes into contact with it.

3. Gas leaks.

Gas appliances, such as stoves and water heaters, can pose a risk of gas leaks. If an appliance is not properly ventilated, or if its gas line is damaged, it can leak harmful gases into your home.

4. Chemical hazards.

Some appliances, such as dishwashers and washing machines, use chemicals to clean your dishes and clothes. If these chemicals are not properly diluted or if the appliance is not properly ventilated, they can pose a serious hazard to your health.

5. Injury hazards.

Faulty appliances can also pose a risk of injury. If an appliance is not properly secured, it can fall and injure anyone nearby. Additionally, sharp edges on appliances can cut or scrape anyone who comes into contact with them.

Be sure to regularly inspect your appliances for signs of damage and to have them serviced by a qualified technician if necessary. Stay safe out there, folks!

Sponsored
No one likes to think about their appliances breaking down. After all, they’re expensive to replace and repair. However, faulty appliances can pose a serious risk to your home and family.

Such has been the unfortunate case for 10-year-old Neveah Majok who has barely survived an electric shock while trying to fix a broken fan.

The Year 5 student was hospitalised and required skin grafts after the accident left her with severe burns.

“I quickly pulled my hands away as soon as I got the chance ... I screamed,” Neveah recalled, sharing how she managed to save herself from the terrifying incident.

The 10-year-old said that she was unable to move or call for help when the electric current rippled through her so she had to think and act quickly in order to save her life.

Speaking to 7News, Neveah shared that she was packing away her fan to replace it with her heater when the accident occurred.

M93k14LYku83BSsIqUpE-zf0bwvSIIQ2N0-8N7gGV3vdOdaE4P_rtzma_N4BueKbcIkOiWDmvyXL_cHxKnJ-Df6TcqPk7rkH_XL0XOzogOQ9ucl-nEH0go-TTq7cnBWSDjNFc-5bXKGVUDk88w

Neveah said that she was not able to move nor scream as the electricity rippled through her body. Crest: 7News.

She recalled: “It dropped on the floor so I brought it back to my room to go fix it.”

“I unscrewed it, I put the lid on my bed and then it was still plugged in and when I was moving my hands ... my hands sort of touched it and they got stuck there for a while and I couldn’t take them off and then I started vibrating.”

Neveah said that she did everything to call out for help but the flowing electricity disabled her from making any audible sound.

“I tried giving them a warning, tried to tell them to get out, go get mum, go get help, but they weren’t able to understand me because the vibration of the fan made it hard for me to talk,” she narrated.

“I couldn’t talk or move my body, but I was still able to see and hear my siblings and everything around me perfectly.”

Left without any other choice, the Year 5 student decided to rip her hands from the faulty appliance as soon as she could to save herself.

“My mum came running to the room and asked what happened. I looked at my hands and I screamed," she continued.

Neveah's mother, Mandy Sibaly, recalled the moment she saw her daughter suffering from the burns, admitting that she immediately assumed the worst and was frantic at the time.

“Everything was running through my mind,” she said.

“I could smell burnt hair but I was hoping it was plastic not her fingers because she couldn’t feel any pain. It was scary.”

The mum rushed the 10-year-old to the hospital for treatment.

gD-Sq8zWx_SPssDGIXccWxXkA_PCquul7NIThdTFzVvfM1gXCCkcZjHUOofb6qL047B3HVqWjBl2KUkr4qIk5H0ebIA7w45XFaVO6tSu2o3OT-PP7qLwmk7eUg3pd7_v_z_4UgBr0B1lAJFWrQ

The 10-year-old suffered severe burns. Credit: 7News.

Now, Neveah is back to her healthy self, claiming that she hardly feels any pain. However, a scar from the incident has formed, reminding her of the unfortunate day.

WA Building and Energy's Matthew Peacock said that the 10-year-old's terrifying story should serve as a reminder of the dangers of electricity to families, especially those who have small children.

He advised: "If you’ve got appliances, check them and if they’re damaged, get rid of them or get a qualified person to fix them.”

Meanwhile, Kidsafe WA CEO Scott Phillips revealed that about 75% of child electrocution cases occurred at the home, noting that more and more households fail to "child-proof" the electrical appliances.

“Sadly, we lose about three children to electrocution in Australia every year, so it’s really important that we supervise our children,” he explained.

“It’s also important we all understand how much electricity is in the house ... and what those key safety messages are.”

It’s important to be aware of the risks posed by faulty appliances and to take steps to prevent any accidents that they may cause in our homes and wellbeing.

Here are a few risks to be aware of when it comes to faulty appliances:

1. Fire hazards.

Faulty appliances can pose a serious fire hazard in your home. If an appliance starts to overheat, it can easily ignite surrounding materials and start a fire.

2. Electrocution hazards.

Another serious hazard posed by faulty appliances is the risk of electrocution. If an appliance is not properly grounded, or if its wiring is damaged, it can easily shock anyone who comes into contact with it.

3. Gas leaks.

Gas appliances, such as stoves and water heaters, can pose a risk of gas leaks. If an appliance is not properly ventilated, or if its gas line is damaged, it can leak harmful gases into your home.

4. Chemical hazards.

Some appliances, such as dishwashers and washing machines, use chemicals to clean your dishes and clothes. If these chemicals are not properly diluted or if the appliance is not properly ventilated, they can pose a serious hazard to your health.

5. Injury hazards.

Faulty appliances can also pose a risk of injury. If an appliance is not properly secured, it can fall and injure anyone nearby. Additionally, sharp edges on appliances can cut or scrape anyone who comes into contact with them.

Be sure to regularly inspect your appliances for signs of damage and to have them serviced by a qualified technician if necessary. Stay safe out there, folks!
This goes beyound belief - how stupid is this girl & what on earth did she think she was doing. And still plugged in, guess common sense isn't used in that house. Do I feel sorry for this stupid girl - NO, lets hope she got zapped with some common sense from it or at least jump started her brain. I do believe kids these days are getting more & more stupid as the years go by 😠

Poor lass, let's hope she has learned the hard way, as she wasn't taught the easy way.
As soon as children can crawl and explore, they can be taught not to touch electric appliances or plugs or switches or power points.
As each year goes by, the level of teaching increases, according to their comprehension.
They should be taught to keep knives out of toasters, never to clean or move an appliance while it is plugged in even if not turned on, etc.

Last edited:
Once again my "language police" instinct comes to the fore. In the headline it reads that the girl survived electrocution. If she was electrocuted she would be dead. She received an electric shock, not electrocution.
Where the heck were her parents that she was able to dismantle an electric appliance while it was plugged in. At ten years of age she should have been taught the dangers of electricity.

Reactions: barbaranne
yes, that's what the safety switches are for. Also a child should be taught from an early age about the dangers of electricity especially when the plug is still connected.

This goes beyound belief - how stupid is this girl & what on earth did she think she was doing. And still plugged in, guess common sense isn't used in that house. Do I feel sorry for this stupid girl - NO, lets hope she got zapped with some common sense from it or at least jump started her brain. I do believe kids these days are getting more & more stupid as the years go by 😠
Oh that’s harsh! She’s a child, for goodness sake. They don’t always think things through. Are you a person who has never made a mistake?

I'm not quite sure why the fan is being called "a faulty appliance".

The girl explains she was packing the fan to put it away when she dropped it, and so took it to her room to fix it.
If the fan broke, as the girl appears to indicate, it's not what we usually define as a "faulty" appliance.

Once in her room, she "unscrewed" the fan, but explains "it was still plugged in" - perhaps via an extension cord into a power point in another room? - and when her hands touched it, she "got stuck for a while".

However, regardless of the details, I'm so pleased this girl was fortunate enough to be able to let go of the fan, as electric shock is capable of causing the muscles to contract so tightly it's sometimes not possible to let go, in which case the result would have been much worse.

I sincerely hope the skin grafts will help her retain full usage of her hands, preventing any future problems, and that she has a healthy recovery from the physical and psychological horror of the whole experience.

This is definitely a timely reminder to everyone to ensure children and adults alike are aware of such dangers, and not assume that everyone knows all the risks of electricity. Perhaps they haven't been taught about it themselves.

Accidents do happen, but appropriate warnings and information can help prevent dangerous incidents like this.

I don't know the laws regarding safety switches, but in my opinion they should be compulsory in all properties, whether you own or rent where you live.
They have definitely saved many lives, and prevented many house fires.