“This is disgusting”: Aussie mums slam local Kmart store over a new policy

A Kmart store in Gatton, Queensland has been under scrutiny for their new policy — but management said that there is a safety reason behind it.

A Queensland mum took to Facebook to air her frustration over her local Kmart's new "disgusting" policy.

She claimed that the Kmart store in Gatton no longer had any trolleys with a child seat in the front.

24QD-0lPbTFHCexk0-_LnHCuZk524TgkbCvHIY4_11LmNiePTeg31lL9n7e1CwKukA6l6VtR-nQx4_9IIiyjnJJVU3O-fMKUPWh3j7cuJdE-plMHZYNagLRWLHkaXsg0j8qFXVc

Queensland mums scrutinised the local Kmart store over a new policy, claiming that trolleys with a child seat in the front were no longer available in the store. Credit: AAP Image.

The mum wrote: 'I took my baby with me, all geared up ready to do a bit of Christmas shopping.'

'When I got there I couldn't find the child-friendly trolleys. I spoke to the staff and then the manager and they advised me they had requested child-friendly trolleys, as they used to have them, however they were advised they were no longer allowed to use them.'

'This is disgusting, how are parents or caregivers with young children supposed to shop? Or don't we have that privilege? Will you take away wheelchair-friendly stores next too?'

'From such a huge chain store such as Kmart, I would expect so much more as opposed to turning up to this.'

Other mums living in Gatoon also shared their sentiments, with many scrutinising the new policy.

One mum wrote: 'I went the other week thinking that they had child-friendly trolleys, but arrived to find they didn't anymore.'

'So I carried [my daughter] in the carrier, had to push a trolley and hold onto a toddler all at once. Not in a hurry to go back,' added another.

ykf8OjuzL_mDKlvquLA21KOZmo9hcKrzOFE2hu03K_VpR8qdhWKs7T6VuYLh0Wn4y_dP392ixAQzBYPddK9pBXUVjMnuYNYUCHE7ZzEpaEEh3013LW4QjZ1HvInqrSHN8m_jH-Q

A Kmart spokesperson defended the policy, explaining that the store is too narrow for larger child-friendly trolleys. Credit: AAP Image.

Kmart responds

A Kmart spokesperson defended the policy by explaining that their store in Gatton is particularly narrow so for safety purposes, the store stopped using larger child-friendly trolleys.

The spokesperson said: 'Our Gatton store is a K hub which is one of our small-format stores.'

'Due to their smaller size, they carry a shopping basket and some of our K hub stores have a compact trolley which doesn't have the ability to hold children like a larger seated trolley would.

'The size of our larger trolley carried in full-size Kmart stores poses a safety risk in these smaller stores due to having narrower aisles and a large amount of product we offer the Gatton community.

'We're committed to making our stores a great place to shop, for all our customers, and customer feedback is really important to us and we will continue to look into ways we can better accommodate families shopping with young children in our K hub stores.'

What are your thoughts on this new policy? Share them with us in the comments below.

• Sad
Reactions: Coolrunning2009
Sponsored
K-Mart have to find an alternative or lose customers! Maybe the seat could be attached to front of trolley?

How are Mums expected to shop with their children? This doesn’t seem a smart move by Kmart. I would assume a large number of customers are Mum’s with children.

Reactions: anneh1948
This is difficult for mums with littlies but if it is a safety concern for Kmart then they are doing the right thing. Perhaps mums who shop there could become more inventive and knowing they will not have a trolley, take their pram and find a way to either get the child to help push the basket or attach it to the pram in such a way that it would move with them. May take some experimenting, but safety of children is always first.

Reactions: 68autobug
I sympathize with the mum’s with this Maybe Kay Mart could have Smaller trolleys that can still have child seat at the front or build a crèche in the carpark Surely they can come up with something

Reactions: Itene
A Kmart store in Gatton, Queensland has been under scrutiny for their new policy — but management said that there is a safety reason behind it.

A Queensland mum took to Facebook to air her frustration over her local Kmart's new "disgusting" policy.

She claimed that the Kmart store in Gatton no longer had any trolleys with a child seat in the front.

24QD-0lPbTFHCexk0-_LnHCuZk524TgkbCvHIY4_11LmNiePTeg31lL9n7e1CwKukA6l6VtR-nQx4_9IIiyjnJJVU3O-fMKUPWh3j7cuJdE-plMHZYNagLRWLHkaXsg0j8qFXVc

Queensland mums scrutinised the local Kmart store over a new policy, claiming that trolleys with a child seat in the front were no longer available in the store. Credit: AAP Image.

The mum wrote: 'I took my baby with me, all geared up ready to do a bit of Christmas shopping.'

'When I got there I couldn't find the child-friendly trolleys. I spoke to the staff and then the manager and they advised me they had requested child-friendly trolleys, as they used to have them, however they were advised they were no longer allowed to use them.'

'This is disgusting, how are parents or caregivers with young children supposed to shop? Or don't we have that privilege? Will you take away wheelchair-friendly stores next too?'

'From such a huge chain store such as Kmart, I would expect so much more as opposed to turning up to this.'

Other mums living in Gatoon also shared their sentiments, with many scrutinising the new policy.

One mum wrote: 'I went the other week thinking that they had child-friendly trolleys, but arrived to find they didn't anymore.'

'So I carried [my daughter] in the carrier, had to push a trolley and hold onto a toddler all at once. Not in a hurry to go back,' added another.

ykf8OjuzL_mDKlvquLA21KOZmo9hcKrzOFE2hu03K_VpR8qdhWKs7T6VuYLh0Wn4y_dP392ixAQzBYPddK9pBXUVjMnuYNYUCHE7ZzEpaEEh3013LW4QjZ1HvInqrSHN8m_jH-Q

A Kmart spokesperson defended the policy, explaining that the store is too narrow for larger child-friendly trolleys. Credit: AAP Image.

Kmart responds

A Kmart spokesperson defended the policy by explaining that their store in Gatton is particularly narrow so for safety purposes, the store stopped using larger child-friendly trolleys.

The spokesperson said: 'Our Gatton store is a K hub which is one of our small-format stores.'

'Due to their smaller size, they carry a shopping basket and some of our K hub stores have a compact trolley which doesn't have the ability to hold children like a larger seated trolley would.

'The size of our larger trolley carried in full-size Kmart stores poses a safety risk in these smaller stores due to having narrower aisles and a large amount of product we offer the Gatton community.

'We're committed to making our stores a great place to shop, for all our customers, and customer feedback is really important to us and we will continue to look into ways we can better accommodate families shopping with young children in our K hub stores.'

What are your thoughts on this new policy? Share them with us in the comments below.
That’s Kmart I’ll still shop there though

If this is a big problem for you take someone with you to push the child in a pram/stroller until Kmart are able to come up with a viable solution.

• Sad
Reactions: Superfrog
Good on you Kmart...safety first. Have kids in a stroller or take Grandma along to help.

Well it's a good idea for a stroller, but with more than one child that will make it very difficult for a Mother to handle plus pushing the trolley around at the same time. I'm glad I don't have to do this.

I never use their trolleys anywhere! I have seen mothers put dirty nappies in them, babies with diarrhea so poop runs out the leg etc & they don’t get cleaned! It’s disgusting hence I never use them.. I take my own bag!

I feel for the parents with children but child friendly trolleys are dangerous in small aeisles as they knock into me & it’s dangerous. The stores are for shopping for all ages and hitting a senior citizen isn’t acceptable especially when they don’t apologise or see if you’re ok.

Reactions: 68autobug
If they can’t provide the trolley for babies or toddler then they need to provide a crèche to look after the toddler and babies while mum and carers are shopping . Good idea. Can you hear KMART

If they can’t provide the trolley for babies or toddler then they need to provide a crèche to look after the toddler and babies while mum and carers are shopping . Good idea. Can you hear KMART
Well I guess one could put their child/ren in daycare for a day to go shopping also.. quite frankly I think it’s ridiculous to think a store/shop provide a crèche..they can’t get workers for the store let alone a crèche…

Some shop in Europe offers it. Not just shop. One church in England had a space for children where they can mingle with other kids . And the room is actually sound proof. They have their Sunday class in that room.

Some shop in Europe offers it. Not just shop. One church in England had a space for children where they can mingle with other kids . And the room is actually sound proof. They have their Sunday class in that room.
I think a church is a lot different to a shop.. other mothers are there to take care of their children & quite often other children as well