“They really scammed you!”: TikTok users accuse Chanel of ‘SCAMMING’ customers for selling $825 advent calendar, claim it’s a ‘BOX OF JUNK’

“They really scammed you!”: TikTok users accuse Chanel of ‘SCAMMING’ customers for selling $825 advent calendar, claim it’s a ‘BOX OF JUNK’
Chanel has recently come under fire after social media users accused them of "scamming" people by selling an $825 advent calendar.

The luxury designer's advent calendar debuted in celebration of its 100th anniversary in October.

9MXf0flUczcepp4Cu9R0ytCE8Mdpms2WGcpmd0P6K35DdbFNkJn6GKQc9NNlBY19VSDgaiSOGBGDUnbLOabLiQiJ_wAODcLKZtqeRBDHXwpoL6JQUxr3jsCzr-nrhWvQcB48StM

Described as a ‘first-of-its-kind’, Chanel’s advent calendar debuted in October in celebration of the luxury brand’s 100th-anniversary celebration. Credit: Chanel.

Although fashion fans initially swooned over the new product, the advent calendar has received criticism after several TikTok users shared 'unboxing videos' to reveal the items in each box of the advent calendar.

One such video is Elise Harmon's — who posts under the username @eliseharmon on TikTok — unboxing video series where she opens one box each day.

The series of clips, which racked up over 14.7 million views, revealed that each door of the calendar contains items that are considered 'cheap' compared to the expectations of many viewers who imagined that the pricey gift would include high-end products. The revelation has subsequently caused TikTok users to accuse the company of "scamming" their customers for overcharging for their "box of junk".

Elise started the series by posting a video of her expressing her excitement over the perfume bottle-shaped advent calendar.

'Am I crazy? Absolutely, but I've never seen a Chanel advent calendar so let's see if it's worth the hype,' Elise said in her video.

'I guess we'll give them a 10/10 on the packaging front.'

However, it went downhill from there, after she noticed that the boxes start at number 5 instead of 1 and go up to 31 instead of 25.

qOKgcfGNFmQNBQ6mBYTsJt_jQt_1FJizSGdf82Cv010X0mV1LUHyN_biJxMO5f_xNE1Lxj7h-luRGtzL5FR3UTYYzuBc9Q-Ip4bVvm-BKK7jHT_InwWu5w5gk60-GJnIr3ovIRA

The boxes in the advent calendar notably start with 5 instead of 1 and go up to 31 instead of 25. Credit: Chanel.

z3dVcPCZZ3Z2EpNCYist65kmzeRxjo50x1Tt8Vg3HdJhciPayzkCm-y9kL6QQXzDCiFFWHaAoOCDjaJ1Jxc-1cS8HVjqvKFDUIUa8U0yGY67KLNaCNt-ClPWx3Ufive4XhFQUg8

The advent calendar retails at $825. Credit: Chanel.

She then decided to open box number nine because it looked 'promising' due to its size.

Elise then found herself disappointed when she realised that the item inside the box was just a sheet of stickers that had the brand's logo on them.

She frustratingly said: "This is a joke."

"Stickers?"

ZZTXIteBg_hhqnaHHhX_lA5MC5o_0TPze9me3HUXRErbuJat2ZpAx-JZ9JvaX71rLjG1bQ7KV_e4qiAk-I3US4Kax_OF4jFjo2o0ycpkbu_zTZ63FV7agmNM-N1c6sQ68Of7MF8
uK7AvW-uwvmI-CXF0dl59ukmRuVNVDP0omq55mcBfGByHbQqp6WT2zB6k2u1JVX3S9E-mReUuQBrGOVt5v9GmVKFYA8LrqQGusItLM4yYrl8Ke6z_RB_okqz2CKXhkw2ix67owc

Elise was dismayed when she found that the boxes only contained items such as a sheet of stickers and a small jar of body lotion. Credit: TikTok/@eliseharmon.

The TikTok user then decided to open another one in hopes that she would uncover something better since she was so upset. To her dismay, the item she got from another box was a small tube of the luxury brand's hand cream.

TikTok users were quick to flood the comment section with their reactions, with many calling out the brand.

One person wrote: "$800+ for stickers and a travel-sized moisturizer, can't imagine what else is in there."

"The audacity of stickers," added another.

A third wrote: 'These are just the complimentary samples that you get when you place an order.'

And another wrote: '$850 was spent on packaging, $25 for everything else.'

Elise continued the unboxing series opening a box each day up.

'Number eight was really calling my name - until I opened it,' she said in another video.

The video then showed her holding up a small, pull-string bag with Chanel's logo on it.

'I can't make this up. It's just this bag,' she frustratingly said.

The TikTok user also got a small carton of body cream and a flipbook from the advent calendar.

Elise joked: "'I'm pretty sure this is enough cream for my left arm."

"But it is very cute."

Opening box number 20 delighted the TikTok user when she found a Chanel lipstick in it. However, her excitement was cut short when she unboxed number 18 and another sheet of stickers was revealed in front of her.

DXfLEowpBpagx_obDSH5pYaWQbXGJ3DtwAMLp-8kYX61FFpfnh3KjiYWce5iahUrDYg9oyC8Pi-w0LG8Q4Jqnwt0zu0aiFWChB7TfMZkbhxIK3zuyjY3B7rdlMr6_F29D4OiV6w
BPrcShufIWYqpdq5vCnW9V6js3aA0CRAKlaLxEOfeL4s8YJr0VIl8jc9E-ZON4U2oU1XYUcUZXtGVWI3K-QIG1QZqaApOn2NKH6siFhhV15zkYV8ZVULs1ntxKJ7oMUYjC5b9r8

Elise had a brief moment of joy when she got a Chanel lipstick in one of the boxes. However, her joy was cut short when it was revealed that another item in the calendar was another sheet of stickers. Credit: TikTok/@eliseharmon.

Additionally, Elise revealed that the other gifts inside the advent calendar include a money clip, perfume, a pin, a tiny snow globe, red nail polish, another lipstick, a small pocket mirror, a paperweight, more stickers, a small magnet, a keychain, and a plastic bracelet.

She criticised the bracelets saying, "It's giving plastic bottle cap, Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen vibes."

The luxury brand describes its advent calendar as a "first-of-its-kind", claiming that it contains "mysterious delights and surprises".

The description of the product on Chanel's website read: "To celebrate the holiday season and mark 100 years of the legendary fragrance, CHANEL presents a first-of-its-kind calendar crafted in the timeless silhouette of the N°5 flacon."

"Count down to the holidays with this collector’s item featuring 27 boxes numbered from five to 31, filled with mysterious delights and surprises. A piece to treasure for years to come."

The TikTok user claimed that Chanel blocked her after she posted the video series, recording herself throwing one of her Chanel purses into the garbage.

"I just wanted to check in and let everyone know, Chanel just blocked me," Elise said.

"They blocked me. What's not clicking, Chanel? Something's wrong."

TikTok users supported Elise, with many accusing Chanel of scamming her.

One person wrote: "They straight up mixed samples with office supplies, huh?"

"Chanel's social media team will never recover from this," another added.

A third wrote: "Girl they really scammed you."

Another person wrote: "Bestie, this has to be stuff they found around the warehouse."

"Girl, if you don't return this box of junk..." one final message read.

Another TikTok user, Charles Gross, posted a video to support Elise's claims, calling the items "less than satisfactory".

Charles said in his video: "If I were to buy this $825 advent calendar without looking at its contents on the Chanel website or anywhere else online, I would be severely disappointed."

"My biggest question is, what was Chanel thinking about the price? This advent calendar isn't all bad, but I see it more as a promotional item given away at pop-ups ... or priced somewhere between $50-$100."

He also captioned the video with: "This is not okay."

What are your thoughts on this? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
I balk at a advent calendar from a coffee chain reduced, as well. Please just buy the chocolate ones. At least u won't be disappointed.

Reactions: Ricci