“No need to panic buy”: Coles imposes purchase limits on toilet papers and medicine

Last week, Coles announced that it would be imposing purchase limits on its rapid antigen testing kits and some of its meat products, such as chicken, mince, and sausages.

And as the supply chain issues and staff shortage continue across the country, the retailer has extended its product limits to loo papers and medicinal items, including paracetamol, ibuprofen, and aspirin.

w4d8zfZ-Cw4rPDCS5gKdlSGQAsytDmcNOpxLu21VDKHR9kB-Uu34WBOgqdm5ZYaW7RBVH01oKDdWeVrnN-iVEYHc0uWKyxcrv3oXkVZKqhQ4RaE0qHFaHEFwr6I1sQNrSy_N60wh

Several Coles shelves are stripped bare of their toilet papers and Panadols. Credit: Twitter/@SamLeightonDore.

In a bid to keep their shelves stocked amidst the ongoing stock crisis, all Coles branches nationwide will only be allowing their shoppers to purchase a maximum of two packs of painkillers and one pack of toilet paper at any one time.

The announcement was posted on their official Facebook page. Full details and more COVID-19 updates can be accessed on their site.

“Thank you for your patience. We ask that customers continue to respect and support our team members, particularly in these busier times,” Coles’ statement said.

Several images of supermarket shelves emptied of their contents surfaced online, with many frustrated customers taking to social media to air out their concerns.

“No Panadol on the shelves at my local Woolworths yesterday - stripped bare,” wrote one person on Twitter.

Another person said: “There's no Panadol to buy at Coles, at Woolworths, at the four local Chemists, or at Aldi. There is no Nurofen either.”

The wave of panic-buying came after deputy chief health officer Professor Michael Kidd announced that many Aussies should prepare to be infected by a milder Omicron strain over the next few weeks.

“With the rising case numbers we've seen over the past week in many parts of the country, it's likely that many of us will test positive for COVID-19 over the coming days and weeks if we haven't already done so,” he said.

“The first thing to do is to be prepared. My advice is that you make sure you have some paracetamol or ibuprofen at home, since you won’t be able to go to your supermarket or pharmacy if you are diagnosed with COVID-19.”

He added that drinking plenty of water and drinks with electrolytes could be beneficial, as well as proper isolation even with ‘mild’ symptoms.

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci
Sponsored
Don't despair, check out the website for "Who Gives a Crap" an organisation that sells toilet paper on-line and donates millions of dollars to under privileged countries to build toilets. We have been buying boxes of toilet paper for a couple of years now, excellent value. They also sell Paper towels, and Bamboo toilet paper. Never run out and it comes from re-cycled paper products. Wrapping round each roll is good for gift wrap for friends! Please give this company a try, YOU WILL NEVER NEED TO USE NEWSPAPER AGAIN!!!
Susan Crighton

I was amazed recently when I went to the local Coles to do some last minute shopping and noticed the long isle of NO TOILET PAPER.... I am also having trouble buying COLD SKIM MILK 2 L ... None at Woolworths today but Coles did have some, but Not a lot, only one brand.... !!!!!