‘You’re provoking me’ – Australian cleaning habit baffles French expat

We all know that different cultures have different preferences when it comes to everything from food to cleanliness – and that's perfectly normal!

But one French expat living in Australia was left gobsmacked when she noticed a 'weird' Aussie cleaning habit that she says everyone in the country seems to be embracing.

A TikTok user, who goes by @psychedelictherapyclub, has sparked a conversation on the internet by labelling an Aussie cleaning habit as ‘completely weird’ and ‘gross’.

‘I have seen this twice before, thinking it's an "isolated" case but I think it's a norm here...Can someone explain to me the logic behind it? Cause he couldn't...’ She captioned.

weird.jpg
She called out her friend in the video. Credit: psychedelictherapyclub/TikTok

In the clip, the woman questioned whether leaving soapy suds on dishes and utensils was considered ‘normal’.

While she talks to her viewers, the woman walks through her friend’s kitchen and heads to where her friend's wine glasses are.

Then she showed the glasses and other cooking utensils that were left unrinsed and drying near the kitchen sink.

‘I’m done with Australia,’ she claimed.

‘People in Australia who wash their dishes and leave this stuff here as if it was clean and normal, what the f***?’ she said.

‘Where do you learn this? In school?’ She followed up and zoomed in on the soapy glasses.

soap.jpg
The woman was baffled at her friend’s habit. Credit: psychedelictherapyclub/TikTok

In the ensuing conversation with her friend (who remained off-camera), she asked: ‘You see it’s not clean, are you serious?’

Her friend responds with a simple yes.

‘You’re going to rinse this, right?’ She tried again, to which her friend replied with ‘No’.

Again, she tried to convince her friend to rinse his wine glasses. ‘You know this is soap?’

Her friend reassured her that he rinses his kitchenware before using them. Still, the baffled woman had more questions for her friend.

‘But who told you this is normal?’ She asked, the confusion getting more noticeable in her tone of voice.

‘Where do you see this is normal?’ She continued.

‘Everywhere,’ her friend said.

pan.jpg
The friend said rinsing off the suds is wasting water. Credit: psychedelictherapyclub/TikTok

There was a brief moment when the woman paused, before cutting away to another conversation about washing (or rinsing) dishes.

‘You’re wasting water,’ her friend explained.

Water restrictions in Australia are pretty common, as the country experiences drought often – especially during the hotter months. There are only certain times in a day (depending on where you live) when people can access watering systems, such as handheld hoses and sprinklers.

In 2019, NSW imposed water restrictions for the first time in a decade because of a prolonged drought.

‘But you’re not serious, you’re not going to let this dry like this?’ She asked and pointed at the soap-covered pans.

Before her friend could even answer, she told her friend: ‘No, you’re provoking me right now.’

Her friend could only laugh in response.

‘Can I rinse it?’ She asked.

‘No, you can dry it,’ her friend laughed again.

‘No, please I want to rinse it,’ she said before ending the video.

The woman’s comments section was divided, with some saying this was completely normal in Australia, and others (mostly Aussies themselves) said they ‘could not stand’ the thought of not rinsing their dishes.

‘When we [were] growing up, we had droughts and single sinks…I remember drying them with a tea towel with suds on,’ one explained.

Another simply said: ‘Water shortage, love.’

A third wrote: ‘I think most of us grew up in drought and are not allowed to waste water.’

While another said that rinsing isn’t required since the suds are on the bottom of the glass anyway. ‘You don’t eat or drink off the bottom,’ they added.

Someone else joked: ‘That’s why we are so bubbly.’

Others claimed they noticed people in New Zealand have the same habit.

Some Aussies in the comments admitted that they found this cleaning habit ‘weird’ as well.

‘Australian born and bred. I don’t want soap on my dishes. I rinse,’ one woman stated. Another user agreed and called this a ‘pet peeve’ of his.

‘Drink a glass of dishwater then if you don’t rinse,’ he added harshly.

One person wrote that this was ‘not normal,’ and instead was the ‘exception,’ explaining, ‘Aussie peeps rinse their dishes.’

‘I agree! I’m Aussie and I hate it. Soap left on the dishes is not clean,’ one woman commented.

You can watch the woman’s video below:

From a scientific perspective, not rinsing the soap off of dishes can have dangerous and sometimes even life-threatening consequences.

One of the major dangers of not rinsing off soap is the risk of accidental soap poisoning. Some soaps contain various chemicals and fragrances which can be considered toxic. If swallowed, these chemicals could cause harm to the body. Though it would need to be a fair amount.
Key Takeaways
  • A French expat has labelled an Australian cleaning habit as ‘gross’ after seeing her friend leave soap suds on drying dishes.
  • The woman questioned the logic behind not rinsing off dishes and asked ‘where do you learn this?’
  • The video divided commenters, some claiming it is ‘not normal’ in Australia, while others recognised the importance of preserving water and said they don’t rinse because of water shortage.
So, we want to know, how do you clean your dishes? Do you rinse them, or just leave the sudsy residue to drip dry? Do you use a tea towel to dry? Let us know in the comments!

Sponsored
We all know that different cultures have different preferences when it comes to everything from food to cleanliness – and that's perfectly normal!

But one French expat living in Australia was left gobsmacked when she noticed a 'weird' Aussie cleaning habit that she says everyone in the country seems to be embracing.

A TikTok user, who goes by @psychedelictherapyclub, has sparked a conversation on the internet by labelling an Aussie cleaning habit as ‘completely weird’ and ‘gross’.

‘I have seen this twice before, thinking it's an "isolated" case but I think it's a norm here...Can someone explain to me the logic behind it? Cause he couldn't...’ She captioned.

View attachment 12612

In the clip, the woman questioned whether leaving soapy suds on dishes and utensils was considered ‘normal’.

While she talks to her viewers, the woman walks through her friend’s kitchen and heads to where her friend's wine glasses are.

Then she showed the glasses and other cooking utensils that were left unrinsed and drying near the kitchen sink.

‘People in Australia who wash their dishes and leave this stuff here as if it was clean and normal, what the f***?’ she said.

‘Where do you learn this? In school?’ She followed up and zoomed in on the soapy glasses.

View attachment 12611
The woman was baffled at her friend’s habit. Credit: psychedelictherapyclub/TikTok

In the ensuing conversation with her friend (who remained off-camera), she asked: ‘You see it’s not clean, are you serious?’

‘You’re going to rinse this, right?’ She tried again, to which her friend replied with ‘No’.

Again, she tried to convince her friend to rinse his wine glasses. ‘You know this is soap?’

Her friend reassured her that he rinses his kitchenware before using them. Still, the baffled woman had more questions for her friend.

‘But who told you this is normal?’ She asked, the confusion getting more noticeable in her tone of voice.

View attachment 12610
The friend said rinsing off the suds is wasting water. Credit: psychedelictherapyclub/TikTok

There was a brief moment when the woman paused, before cutting away to another conversation about washing (or rinsing) dishes.

Water restrictions in Australia are pretty common, as the country experiences drought often – especially during the hotter months. There are only certain times in a day (depending on where you live) when people can access watering systems, such as handheld hoses and sprinklers.

In 2019, NSW imposed water restrictions for the first time in a decade because of a prolonged drought.

‘But you’re not serious, you’re not going to let this dry like this?’ She asked and pointed at the soap-covered pans.

Before her friend could even answer, she told her friend: ‘No, you’re provoking me right now.’

The woman’s comments section was divided, with some saying this was completely normal in Australia, and others (mostly Aussies themselves) said they ‘could not stand’ the thought of not rinsing their dishes.

‘When we [were] growing up, we had droughts and single sinks…I remember drying them with a tea towel with suds on,’ one explained.

A third wrote: ‘I think most of us grew up in drought and are not allowed to waste water.’

While another said that rinsing isn’t required since the suds are on the bottom of the glass anyway. ‘You don’t eat or drink off the bottom,’ they added.

Some Aussies in the comments admitted that they found this cleaning habit ‘weird’ as well.

‘Australian born and bred. I don’t want soap on my dishes. I rinse,’ one woman stated. Another user agreed and called this a ‘pet peeve’ of his.

One person wrote that this was ‘not normal,’ and instead was the ‘exception,’ explaining, ‘Aussie peeps rinse their dishes.’

‘I agree! I’m Aussie and I hate it. Soap left on the dishes is not clean,’ one woman commented.

From a scientific perspective, not rinsing the soap off of dishes can have dangerous and sometimes even life-threatening consequences.

One of the major dangers of not rinsing off soap is the risk of accidental soap poisoning. Some soaps contain various chemicals and fragrances which can be considered toxic. If swallowed, these chemicals could cause harm to the body. Though it would need to be a fair amount.
Key Takeaways

• A French expat has labelled an Australian cleaning habit as ‘gross’ after seeing her friend leave soap suds on drying dishes.
  • The woman questioned the logic behind not rinsing off dishes and asked ‘where do you learn this?’
  • The video divided commenters, some claiming it is ‘not normal’ in Australia, while others recognised the importance of preserving water and said they don’t rinse because of water shortage.
So, we want to know, how do you clean your dishes? Do you rinse them, or just leave the sudsy residue to drip dry? Do you use a tea towel to dry? Let us know in the comments!

I never ever leave dishes on the sink, they are washed and dried with a tea towel and put away. Leaving dishes on the sink is just plain lazy

My grandmother would wash dishes and we would dry straight away with the suds on them.

But I never do this. I don't have or want a dishwasher . I wash my hand with a soapy sponge or dish wand and rinse as I wash in hot water then place on a drainer, by the time I'm finished or soon after the dishes are dry and packed away.

I love crystal clear glasses

I have tea towels and sometimes dry certain things like cutlery but rare. I wash tea towels every day or second day. Even then I soak them in bleach n detergent.
I feel tea towels hold bacteria.

But everyone to their own.
I bet you there are things that gross us out about the French .... like eating snails 🐌

I use a dishwasher, but there are items that need to be hand washed. Saucepans, good knives & other things.
Leaving soap suds on will leave marks all over them, if left to dry.
I've read that leaving washed items to dry naturally is best if people don't use a clean tea towel.
I always wash, rinse & dry with a tea towel & put away. I mostly change tea towels daily.
I tend to collect nice tea towels, so I use them. 😊

Last edited:

View attachment 12612

View attachment 12611

View attachment 12610

Key Takeaways

I always rinse well. I don't want to eat detergent.

View attachment 12612

View attachment 12611

View attachment 12610

Key Takeaways

View attachment 12612

View attachment 12611

View attachment 12610

Key Takeaways

Really?? Maybe we should ask why do you eat snails?? Now that to me is gross!🤣🤣

View attachment 12612

View attachment 12611

View attachment 12610

Key Takeaways

I rinse my dishes. I have never understood why people do not rinse their dishes. Its unclean.

To be honest

View attachment 12612

View attachment 12611

View attachment 12610

Key Takeaways

Honestly I am getting so sick of all these expats, tourists etc coming to Australia then nit picking what and how we do, don't or live here, no one made you come here if you don't like it or prefer the way your own country do things that's fine, just go back there, just stop whining no one is making you stay . I do hand wash and rinse glassware and anything that needs to be done by hand otherwise all in the dishwasher

View attachment 12612

View attachment 12611

View attachment 12610

Key Takeaways

I agree with her that not rinsing is gross and completely illogical and also "UNSAFE" But to rant and rave about other people is ridiculous if thats what other people want to do thats their choice not hers.... so dont be so slow in leaving or why not try and show your friends the difference and how much healthier it is to rinse ones dishes

My grandmother would wash dishes and we would dry straight away with the suds on them.

But I never do this. I don't have or want a dishwasher . I wash my hand with a soapy sponge or dish wand and rinse as I wash in hot water then place on a drainer, by the time I'm finished or soon after the dishes are dry and packed away.

I love crystal clear glasses

I have tea towels and sometimes dry certain things like cutlery but rare. I wash tea towels every day or second day. Even then I soak them in bleach n detergent.
I feel tea towels hold bacteria.

But everyone to their own.
I bet you there are things that gross us out about the French .... like eating snails 🐌
Snails are tasty as are frogs legs 😁

View attachment 12612

View attachment 12611

View attachment 12610

Key Takeaways

I too find the way dishes etc are washed different here in good ole OZ. At church and other functions I have seen a sink filled with soapy water in which they rinse dishes. Half was through the water looks dirty but the water is not changed. Then they are rinsed in another sink with clean water and either wiped or left to dry on a plate rack.
I use the dishwasher but not daily because I live alone. Other times I confess I wash dishes etc individually with dishwashing liquid and a sponge. And dry them on my dishrack. However, I think I am a finicky about these things. I try not to waste water.
To each is his own. I haven't heard of anyone dying from diluted soapy water on their glasses!

Not rinsing dishes that have been washed in a sinkful or container filled with soapy water means the inside of those dishes have the residue of the dirtied soapy water they were washed in dried on to the inner surfaces.

This dried residue then mixes with new food and drink that goes into these 'cleaned' & 'dried' dishes.

People then eat and drink food/drink contaminated with dirty soapy water.

View attachment 12612

View attachment 12611

View attachment 12610

Key Takeaways

I agree! Rinse it off. How can anyone eat off a plate or use a glass that has suds residue?! Nah ☹️

View attachment 12612

View attachment 12611

View attachment 12610

Key Takeaways

I would say it’s none of her business, and a personal choice. I am sure the the French have some habits which might be intriguing to others.

To be honest

Honestly I am getting so sick of all these expats, tourists etc coming to Australia then nit picking what and how we do, don't or live here, no one made you come here if you don't like it or prefer the way your own country do things that's fine, just go back there, just stop whining no one is making you stay . I do hand wash and rinse glassware and anything that needs to be done by hand otherwise all in the dishwasher
totally agree. And claim the whole of the country is the same as the individual they are talking about. How naive.

I do not have a dishwasher, and when I had one, it was rarely used. I always rinse everything with hot water after it has been washed. I am sure I use considerably less water than a dishwasher would use.