‘What’s that smell?’: Man’s shocking ALDI rice discovery makes his stomach turn

Content warning: The article contains graphic content and image, which may be unsettling for readers. Discretion is advised.

Australians have come to appreciate the value and convenience that ALDI brings to our shopping experience.

With its array of affordable products, ALDI has become a staple for many households, particularly for those of us who are always on the lookout for a good bargain.

However, a recent incident involving an ALDI product has left one customer with a rather unsavoury experience that's enough to make anyone's stomach churn.

Richard Ellis, a resident of Keilor Downs, Victoria, was horrified when he encountered something in a packet of Imperial Grain Brown Wholegrain Jasmine Rice purchased from his local ALDI store.

The discovery was not only shocking but also brought about a level of disgust that's hard to shake off.

image.jpg
Richard Ellis found something in his Imperial Grain Brown Wholegrain Jasmine Rice. Credit: Reddit

'I feel like I'm going to throw up just talking about it,' Ellis said, recounting the distressing event.

The rice, which had been sitting in his cupboard since December, was meant to be a simple meal for 7 January.

But as the microwave timer beeped and the door swung open, an odious scent wafted through the house, signalling something terribly amiss.

'I opened the door of the microwave and thought: “What is that smell?”’ Ellis recalled.

The source of the stench was soon revealed when he opened the packet and found a dark, rodent-shaped lump caked into the rice.

'I spread out all the rice and had a look, and I couldn't believe it, it looked like a mouse. It had an eye in it, fur, a head,' he said, detailing the gruesome find.

‘It stunk up the whole place. I had to throw the microwave out.’

The smell was so overpowering that it permeated the entire house, leaving a 'dead animal smell' that necessitated airing out every room.

Ellis said the mystery object was as long as a tablespoon, and he had been put off rice since the incident.

Screenshot 2024-03-21 at 11.28.30 AM.png
Richard Ellis found what seemed to be a mouse inside a packet of rice. Credit: Richard Ellis

However, his concern extends beyond his own experience.

'What if a little old lady with no sense of smell came across this?' he pondered, highlighting the potential risk to others.

‘It's just not on. They've got like 400 rice flavours, and I just happened to get the one with the mouse in it.’

In an attempt to address the issue, Ellis returned the offending item to ALDI.

‘They offered to give me my $1.74, but I don't want the money, all I care about is finding out what it is,’ he said.

‘I posted it on Facebook and tagged every ALDI I could find and tried to message them on Instagram, but they haven't gotten back to me.’

An ALDI spokesperson said a complaint should be made through its help centre.

‘We encourage any customer to give feedback to ALDI directly via the help centre so we can investigate the allegation,’ they said.

The incident has sparked a wave of concern among other ALDI customers, with some sharing their own unsettling experiences with the same brand of rice.

‘Yuck, I'll be throwing mine out,’ one said.

‘I'd be letting Food Standards Australia and New Zealand know, as well as ALDI Australia. That could be a wider contamination issue,’ another added.

Others asked if the object was mould.

‘We had this in our packet, too, but I thought it was mould. How do you know it was a mouse?’ one asked

It's worth noting that Imperial Grain Microwave Rice, produced in Thailand and a registered trademark of ALDI, has previously faced recalls due to the 'potential growth of mould that may cause illness if consumed’.

In a similar story, a Coles customer took to social media to share their disturbing find inside a tin of chickpeas.

What did they find? Read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways
  • Richard Ellis found a disturbing object resembling a dead mouse in a packet of ALDI microwaveable brown rice.
  • The find caused a horrid smell that lingered in his home, leading him to throw out his microwave and avoid rice since the incident.
  • ALDI Australia was contacted, and while a refund was offered, the man insisted on investigating the matter.
  • The incident sparked concern among social media users and raised questions about potential widespread contamination.
Have you ever had a similar experience with a grocery item? How did you handle it, and what was the outcome? Share your stories with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
I have stopped shopping at Aldis comparing their food prices with product brands they are not that cheap. When you are overcharged wait about 2 months for a refund and not one cent more. Support your local supermarket and stop shopping Aldis.

For goodness sake - throwing out the microwave is over the top. There are plenty of ways to remove smells from microwaves, try googling it. And as for permeating the whole house - try opening the windows and using your preferred room deodoriser. If the smell was that bad, why didn't the complainant stop the microwave as soon as the smell became apparent, instead of waiting for the whole 90secs.

I have stopped shopping at Aldis comparing their food prices with product brands they are not that cheap. When you are overcharged wait about 2 months for a refund and not one cent more. Support your local supermarket and stop shopping Aldis.
Sorry but I won't be taking your advice.
I save at least $30/ft, sometimes more shopping at Aldi.
On one product, my dog meat trays, which is $1.01 cheaper than Coles or Woolies. I buy 10/fortnight, that's a saving of $286 a year on only one product.
All their cleaning products, toiletries, things like gladwrap, foil, binbags etc are all much cheaper. Even items that are only a cent or two cheaper add up over the year.
Ever heard the saying "take care of the pennies and the pounds will take care of themselves"
You sound like the person who posted a while back that it wasn't worth the hassle shopping at Aldi because she only saved about $10/week, in my estimation that's $520/year.
My guess would be that she failed maths miserably.

Reactions: IAN3005
Aldi make cheap rip off copies of products that have been tested and proved the best by generations of Australians. It's a shame the same level of disgust does not apply to their dishonest branding.
That's not true. The big supermarkets have their own brand copies which are more likely to be competition for the original products. But, Aldi, just imports or uses brands that were not commonly known here. And, again, they just sell the product. who knows how and when the contents were contaminated.

That's not true. The big supermarkets have their own brand copies which are more likely to be competition for the original products. But, Aldi, just imports or uses brands that were not commonly known here. And, again, they just sell the product. who knows how and when the contents were contaminated.
You are right. Pity people who don't want to shop at Aldi, just don't shop there, but stop making uninformed comments
about their products or how they run their business.

I wish people would STOP blaming the supermarkets where these things are beyond their control. It is the supplier of the BRand of the item that is the one to complain about.

Why do people blame Aldi. It has happened obviously in the packing of the product and like most companies they would have automatic packing machines. These things happen in life. I don't supposed the mouse found it pleasant either. Mice a very tiny little creatures and can snerk in under the radar in the cleanest of circumstances. Grow up and get over it.
Issue is with FAILED QUALITY CONTROL.
Getting through to Aldi is impossible.
All you can do is package up the entire mess - with receipt- and return it all to the Aldi store for refund.
Try buying smaller sacks of rice?

Issue is with FAILED QUALITY CONTROL.
Getting through to Aldi is impossible.
All you can do is package up the entire mess - with receipt- and return it all to the Aldi store for refund.
Try buying smaller sacks of rice?
Yes, quality control by the manufacturer,not Aldi

This is NOT an Aldi problem…it is a food production problem!!
Quality control obviously not in place…

Microwave pouches of rice “donot” need to be rinsed….

Reactions: mylittletibbies
A few years ago l found a piece of plastic similar to that of a milk bottle in a product. A phone call to the company & they sent me a Pre Paid bag to send it back. I only wanted to make them aware of this & wanted nothing in return but l did receive one of their products for my trouble with an apology.

Reactions: mylittletibbies
Yeach coffee a tin bought from Woolworths 10 yrs ago had big cocroach in it

Reactions: Ezzy