‘What’s that smell?’: Man’s shocking ALDI rice discovery makes his stomach turn

Content warning: The article contains graphic content and image, which may be unsettling for readers. Discretion is advised.

Australians have come to appreciate the value and convenience that ALDI brings to our shopping experience.

With its array of affordable products, ALDI has become a staple for many households, particularly for those of us who are always on the lookout for a good bargain.

However, a recent incident involving an ALDI product has left one customer with a rather unsavoury experience that's enough to make anyone's stomach churn.

Richard Ellis, a resident of Keilor Downs, Victoria, was horrified when he encountered something in a packet of Imperial Grain Brown Wholegrain Jasmine Rice purchased from his local ALDI store.

The discovery was not only shocking but also brought about a level of disgust that's hard to shake off.

image.jpg
Richard Ellis found something in his Imperial Grain Brown Wholegrain Jasmine Rice. Credit: Reddit

'I feel like I'm going to throw up just talking about it,' Ellis said, recounting the distressing event.

The rice, which had been sitting in his cupboard since December, was meant to be a simple meal for 7 January.

But as the microwave timer beeped and the door swung open, an odious scent wafted through the house, signalling something terribly amiss.

'I opened the door of the microwave and thought: “What is that smell?”’ Ellis recalled.

The source of the stench was soon revealed when he opened the packet and found a dark, rodent-shaped lump caked into the rice.

'I spread out all the rice and had a look, and I couldn't believe it, it looked like a mouse. It had an eye in it, fur, a head,' he said, detailing the gruesome find.

‘It stunk up the whole place. I had to throw the microwave out.’

The smell was so overpowering that it permeated the entire house, leaving a 'dead animal smell' that necessitated airing out every room.

Ellis said the mystery object was as long as a tablespoon, and he had been put off rice since the incident.

Screenshot 2024-03-21 at 11.28.30 AM.png
Richard Ellis found what seemed to be a mouse inside a packet of rice. Credit: Richard Ellis

However, his concern extends beyond his own experience.

'What if a little old lady with no sense of smell came across this?' he pondered, highlighting the potential risk to others.

‘It's just not on. They've got like 400 rice flavours, and I just happened to get the one with the mouse in it.’

In an attempt to address the issue, Ellis returned the offending item to ALDI.

‘They offered to give me my $1.74, but I don't want the money, all I care about is finding out what it is,’ he said.

‘I posted it on Facebook and tagged every ALDI I could find and tried to message them on Instagram, but they haven't gotten back to me.’

An ALDI spokesperson said a complaint should be made through its help centre.

‘We encourage any customer to give feedback to ALDI directly via the help centre so we can investigate the allegation,’ they said.

The incident has sparked a wave of concern among other ALDI customers, with some sharing their own unsettling experiences with the same brand of rice.

‘Yuck, I'll be throwing mine out,’ one said.

‘I'd be letting Food Standards Australia and New Zealand know, as well as ALDI Australia. That could be a wider contamination issue,’ another added.

Others asked if the object was mould.

‘We had this in our packet, too, but I thought it was mould. How do you know it was a mouse?’ one asked

It's worth noting that Imperial Grain Microwave Rice, produced in Thailand and a registered trademark of ALDI, has previously faced recalls due to the 'potential growth of mould that may cause illness if consumed’.

In a similar story, a Coles customer took to social media to share their disturbing find inside a tin of chickpeas.

What did they find? Read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways
  • Richard Ellis found a disturbing object resembling a dead mouse in a packet of ALDI microwaveable brown rice.
  • The find caused a horrid smell that lingered in his home, leading him to throw out his microwave and avoid rice since the incident.
  • ALDI Australia was contacted, and while a refund was offered, the man insisted on investigating the matter.
  • The incident sparked concern among social media users and raised questions about potential widespread contamination.
Have you ever had a similar experience with a grocery item? How did you handle it, and what was the outcome? Share your stories with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
Why do people blame Aldi. It has happened obviously in the packing of the product and like most companies they would have automatic packing machines. These things happen in life. I don't supposed the mouse found it pleasant either. Mice a very tiny little creatures and can snerk in under the radar in the cleanest of circumstances. Grow up and get over it.

Why do people blame Aldi. It has happened obviously in the packing of the product and like most companies they would have automatic packing machines. These things happen in life. I don't supposed the mouse found it pleasant either. Mice a very tiny little creatures and can snerk in under the radar in the cleanest of circumstances. Grow up and get over it.

Ano foreign body should be reported immediately to the Health Department to investigate. Sorry, but do not give it Aldi. Aldi also have a vested interest to make sure their products and companies have strick health regulations and guidelines

Aldi make cheap rip off copies of products that have been tested and proved the best by generations of Australians. It's a shame the same level of disgust does not apply to their dishonest branding.

Ano foreign body should be reported immediately to the Health Department to investigate. Sorry, but do not give it Aldi. Aldi also have a vested interest to make sure their products and companies have strick health regulations and guidelines
And x-ray vision???
Everything's done by machines these days and mice can be anywhere, even in your own home, no matter how careful and clean you may be.

Aldi make cheap rip off copies of products that have been tested and proved the best by generations of Australians. It's a shame the same level of disgust does not apply to their dishonest branding.
Oh for heaven's sake, Aldi don't make anything, they are a retailer.
The same thing has happened in the past with products from Coles and Woolies and probably many other retailers
Don't talk such rubbish.
What dishonest branding are you talking about, they sell their own brands which have been proven superior by many Choice and Canstar surveys

I agree it’s not Aldi’s fault but it is their responsibility in a way as they sold it. They should be more empathetic to the customer. I would at least expect them to be concerned but just offering a refund when the poster said they had to throw out their microwave Was a little insensitive I thought

Reactions: Ingot
Oh for heaven's sake, Aldi don't make anything, they are a retailer.
The same thing has happened in the past with products from Coles and Woolies and probably many other retailers
Don't talk such rubbish.
What dishonest branding are you talking about, they sell their own brands which have been proven superior by many Choice and Canstar surveys
Exactly.
There was a hullbaloo about rats in a New Zealand Wooworths recently, but even then it can happen to any shop. Things like this should not make us more or less cautious, but just to be aware of EVERY food item we didn't grow ourselves ... which is pretty much everything.

Last edited:
Reactions: mylittletibbies
Should have found some Aussie rice instead of rice grown in poo water.

Years ago I bought a jar of a product similar to Chicken Tonight (I can't remember the brand). I cooked some chopped chicken in the frying pan then added the sauce. There was something bright green in it which turned out to be the finger from a rubber glove. I phoned the company using reverse charge and a rep. phoned from Hobart, we lived in Tassie at the time. She came to see us the next day and gave us a big box of the company's products, she said at least we didn't get a finger. If I had, I wouldn't have settled for a box of products. By the way, we ended up having fish and chips for tea.

Off with their heads!!!!
Actually, reading the description of the smell permeating the entire house, and having to dispose of the microwave smacks of a civil suit and compensation to me.
Not Aldi ... blame the mouse.