‘This is your sign’: Shopper's ALDI and Coles haul saves her almost half on grocery bills

Finding ways to save money is a top priority for many, especially those who live on a fixed income.

One shopper and mum, Zoe Perrone, has found a way to do just that, saving almost half on her grocery bills.

Her secret? Shopping at ALDI first.

Zoe has shared her fool-proof method for keeping her grocery bills low while maintaining a healthy diet.

Her strategy involves hitting up ALDI for all her essentials and then heading to Coles or Woolworths for any items she couldn't find at ALDI.

20240222_083617_0000.png
Zoe Perrone shared her enormous ALDI and Coles shopping haul for around $200. Credit: @zoe.schilling / TikTok

In a video she uploaded online, Zoe passionately advocated for ALDI, stating, 'I will die on this hill. If you’re not shopping at ALDI, what are you actually doing?'

She further revealed, ‘I was spending $400, and now I’m lucky to crack $200! This is your sign to start shopping at ALDI.’

Her weekly shop at ALDI focused on pantry essentials and meal ingredients for the upcoming week.

Zoe's grocery list included a variety of vegetables, such as baby spinach, iceberg lettuce, cherry tomatoes, and cucumbers.

She also stocked up on fruit like bananas, green grapes, raspberries, pineapples, strawberries, mangoes, and plums.

In addition to fresh produce, Zoe's ALDI haul included items like milk, eggs, baked beans, chicken tenders, hummus and lentil chips, Mexican seasoning, couscous, and bin bags.

She also picked up nappies and snacks for her child, such as flavoured custard pouches.

The total for this enormous haul? $138.41.

After ALDI, Zoe said she would head to Coles to pick up extras.

Her second shop includes items like cheese scrolls, a loaf of bread, shampoo, two KitKats, and more baby nappies. She also purchased beef fillet and ham, which totalled $30.

Zoe shared that the shampoo and crumpets were half-priced, and most of the other items were special.

'All of this from Coles was $103.20,' she said.

'This is why I shop at ALDI—and so should you.’

Zoe's shopping strategy has been met with applause, with many sharing their own experiences of saving money by shopping at ALDI.

One commenter said, 'I shop at ALDI and Woolies. ALDI first, Woolies second. I do my shopping list on the Woolies app and get what’s cheapest at ALDI–but Woolies still has cheap options on some things.'

Another echoed Zoe's sentiments, stating, 'I’ve just started shopping at ALDI. Never going back!'

You can watch Zoe’s video below:

Credit: @zoe.schilling / TikTok

When grocery shopping and budgeting become too overwhelming, sometimes all we need is our trusty smartphone to make our lives easier.

In a previous story, a mum discovered a free mobile app that revolutionised her approach to food shopping, saving her family hundreds of dollars and reducing food waste. You can read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways
  • Mum Zoe Perrone demonstrated how shopping at ALDI can significantly reduce grocery bills.
  • She managed to spend around $200 on groceries at ALDI, whereas previously, she had spent $400 elsewhere.
  • Zoe's shopping strategy involves buying essentials at ALDI and picking up any additional items at Coles or Woolworths.
  • Her ALDI grocery haul impressed many social media users who shared their positive experiences with the discount supermarket.
Do you have any money-saving grocery shopping tips to share? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
My thoughts : Coles mostly , but I'm not shopping for a family so I buy what I need/want and have very little waste . If ALDI wasn't in Australia we would be paying a lot more --- a hell of a lot more! --- for food and the likes. Coles and WW have had to lower , or keep the their priced down somewhat but their 1/2 weekly specials are there (only) to match ALDI . It's a case of buy more to store when the price is right .
I find the local IGA best for out date food ; especially dairy . 50-70% off milk will last 2-3 week past the date so I will buy 6 lts ; or more . Same with yogurt .

You may well spend less at ALDI and shop faster because of their restricted stock line ; it really is very limited for Australia

Aldi tried about 6 times now and not for me.They seem to have a few hidden agendas and meat no thankyou and vegies fruit they may have 1 at a good price then they make it up on others fruit and vegies.I also on a strict budget so no point in saying if you have money to spend dont Aldi.I also find staff at our Aldi a little self consumed.

That is all very good if you live in the city. I am fed up with all these posts about how I can save money by shopping at Aldi (makes me think they are paying SDC to push their prices etc) when I would have to spend approx. $60 to drive to my nearest Aldi. Many of us do not have a choice other than Woolies & IGA both of which have extremely high prices.

These posts do not tell me how to save on my shopping bill. Please tell me how we can all save on our grocery costs without pushing one company over another.
Do what I do. I live over 130kms from the nearest supermarket.
We only have a co-op, which is even more expensive than IGA.
I sit down and work out a menu for 4 weeks, I then check out the prices of both ALDI,where I shop first,and then the other supermarkets for the best deals.
By shopping every 4 weeks,this negates the petrol expense.
No use complaining about the items that are posted promoting ALDI, country people like us are in minority and SDC is for everybody. Plenty of other people are interested.
There are solutions to all problems. Maybe travel with a friend and split the fuel cost.

My thoughts : Coles mostly , but I'm not shopping for a family so I buy what I need/want and have very little waste . If ALDI wasn't in Australia we would be paying a lot more --- a hell of a lot more! --- for food and the likes. Coles and WW have had to lower , or keep the their priced down somewhat but their 1/2 weekly specials are there (only) to match ALDI . It's a case of buy more to store when the price is right .
I find the local IGA best for out date food ; especially dairy . 50-70% off milk will last 2-3 week past the date so I will buy 6 lts ; or more . Same with yogurt .

You may well spend less at ALDI and shop faster because of their restricted stock line ; it really is very limited for Australia
I find just about everything I need at Aldi. I don't find it restricted at all.

Not everyone can shop at any/all grocery stores. Some have only one nearby & others have quite a few in their area. Some are prepared to change brands for a slight difference in cost/taste and others are set in their ways and will not change.

There are some things I don’t like from Aldi (some fruit and vegetables, to me, seem to be of a quality just that tiny bit less than Woolies and Coles). I buy what I want/need from Aldi and other items from other stores, but I never shop at IGA - they seem to be always that bit more expensive than C & W.

Each to his own - some have all stores in their area, some don’t wish to change or cannot due to distance. It is up to each of us to make our own decisions without rude or suggestive comments about another’s ways.

We have our own eyes, ears and minds to make our own choices. Life is too short for bickering. Have a nice day, fellow readers!

Reactions: Penny4