Discover the app that helped slash this mum’s weekly grocery bill by $60!

In an era where the cost of living is continuously on the rise, every dollar saved can make a significant difference.

For one Melbourne mum, the struggle to balance the family budget, mortgage repayments, and escalating grocery bills was a constant challenge.

However, she discovered a free app that has revolutionised her approach to food shopping, saving her family hundreds of dollars and reducing food waste.

Clare, like many Australian parents, was grappling with the demands of raising two young children and managing household finances.

'We are trying to juggle everything in terms of being really time-poor and really feeling the pinch,' Clare shared.

SDC 8.png
One mum began using the app Saveful to save dollars and reduce food waste. Image source: Saveful.

'My husband and I are on OK salaries, and even then, we get to the end of the month, and there is nothing spare, nothing in the emergency fund for unforeseen expenses and things like that.'

In November last year, Clare began using the app, Saveful, and it has since transformed her perspective on food shopping and consumption.

Saveful is a smart tool that allows users to input what they currently have in their kitchen and pantry and then generate a variety of recipes based on those ingredients.

This has helped her minimise waste and maximise savings.

'I would go through the fridge and be quite shocked at how much I was throwing out on a Sunday. Now I notice it is significantly less,' Clare added.

'My previous behaviour was going and grabbing bits and pieces [at the supermarket] and spending $60, $70 for a couple of items. Now, I think more about staple items and consolidating that shop more.'

The app has helped Clare save a total of $170 on groceries since November and has also curbed her family's takeaway habit, leading to even more savings.

'If you added those things together every week, it would probably be at least $60 a week,' Clare estimated.

'You get takeaway for a family because of the convenience. [But] it’s just as convenient…to throw an easy meal together with what you've already got.'

The convenience of the app has also eased the daily stress of deciding what to cook for dinner.

'At the end of a busy day, the last thing I feel like doing sometimes is having to feel creative in terms of getting a meal on the table,' she admitted.

'With Saveful, I literally just have to open the fridge, type in what I've got, and then get inspired from there.'

The app has also sparked Clare's interest in pickling, a method of preserving food that helps her utilise all the ingredients she buys.

'I've learned about so many substitutes I never knew I could use—which help me use up odds and ends of ingredients that were otherwise headed for the bin.'

Grocery bills are a significant financial stressor for nearly half of Aussie households, with the average household now spending $188 per week on groceries.

A recent Finder survey of 1,002 Australians revealed that 92 per cent have now implemented shopping strategies to save money at the checkout.

These strategies include bulk buying (53 per cent), visiting multiple grocery stores (61 per cent), and using coupons (38 per cent).

In addition to Saveful, there are several other grocery-saving apps available that can help you manage your food budget more effectively:
  • Frugl - This app helps shoppers compare prices between Coles, Woolworths, ALDI, IGA and more.
  • Half Price - This app shows the latest half-price specials at Coles and Woolworths.
  • ShopFully - This app lets you access the latest supermarket catalogues on your phone.
  • WiseList - This app lets you create a grocery list and compare the prices across stores.
Key Takeaways

• A Melbourne mum saved money and reduced food waste by using a free app, Saveful.
  • The app helps users create recipes based on what they already have in their kitchen.
  • By using the app, the mum has saved $170 on groceries and reduced her family’s takeaway consumption.
  • The average Australian household reportedly spends $188 per week on groceries, and many have adopted shopping strategies like bulk buying, visiting multiple stores, and using coupons to save money.
Members, what are your go-to money-saving tips or apps? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
What are these "coupons" I hear about that give you discounted prices at Coles Woolies Aldi - I've never seen any!

Reactions: KaraJenna
I learned early on how to save, as my mother couldnt cope. When I had a family to look after every Friday night or Saturday morning I made a list of dishes I would prepare the following week. If I needed an ingredient that came in a larger pack than I needed I found another recipe to use up the rest. Once a week (usually on Fridays) I made a stew or soup using up all the fresh leftovers of the week.
Nowadays I go shopping later in the day when things are reduced as close to use by or best before date. I take it home and spend maybe 2 hours preparing everything/cooking, then put it in the freezer. I eat the fresh salad on the shopping day and the day after, then use the frozen meals and add maybe rice or pasta or meat or fish, or have just the cooked veggies... Ok, I m on my own, but even with fresh products like milk, joghurt, bread etc I can still afford some luxuries like a daily coffee at a coffeeshop etc AND save a bit of money for a rainy day.

I learned early on how to save, as my mother couldnt cope. When I had a family to look after every Friday night or Saturday morning I made a list of dishes I would prepare the following week. If I needed an ingredient that came in a larger pack than I needed I found another recipe to use up the rest. Once a week (usually on Fridays) I made a stew or soup using up all the fresh leftovers of the week.
Nowadays I go shopping later in the day when things are reduced as close to use by or best before date. I take it home and spend maybe 2 hours preparing everything/cooking, then put it in the freezer. I eat the fresh salad on the shopping day and the day after, then use the frozen meals and add maybe rice or pasta or meat or fish, or have just the cooked veggies... Ok, I m on my own, but even with fresh products like milk, joghurt, bread etc I can still afford some luxuries like a daily coffee at a coffeeshop etc AND save a bit of money for a rainy day.
It’s about becoming organised and you certainly are! Well done @Noraya.

Reactions: Noraya