‘This is your sign’: Shopper's ALDI and Coles haul saves her almost half on grocery bills

Finding ways to save money is a top priority for many, especially those who live on a fixed income.

One shopper and mum, Zoe Perrone, has found a way to do just that, saving almost half on her grocery bills.

Her secret? Shopping at ALDI first.

Zoe has shared her fool-proof method for keeping her grocery bills low while maintaining a healthy diet.

Her strategy involves hitting up ALDI for all her essentials and then heading to Coles or Woolworths for any items she couldn't find at ALDI.

20240222_083617_0000.png
Zoe Perrone shared her enormous ALDI and Coles shopping haul for around $200. Credit: @zoe.schilling / TikTok

In a video she uploaded online, Zoe passionately advocated for ALDI, stating, 'I will die on this hill. If you’re not shopping at ALDI, what are you actually doing?'

She further revealed, ‘I was spending $400, and now I’m lucky to crack $200! This is your sign to start shopping at ALDI.’

Her weekly shop at ALDI focused on pantry essentials and meal ingredients for the upcoming week.

Zoe's grocery list included a variety of vegetables, such as baby spinach, iceberg lettuce, cherry tomatoes, and cucumbers.

She also stocked up on fruit like bananas, green grapes, raspberries, pineapples, strawberries, mangoes, and plums.

In addition to fresh produce, Zoe's ALDI haul included items like milk, eggs, baked beans, chicken tenders, hummus and lentil chips, Mexican seasoning, couscous, and bin bags.

She also picked up nappies and snacks for her child, such as flavoured custard pouches.

The total for this enormous haul? $138.41.

After ALDI, Zoe said she would head to Coles to pick up extras.

Her second shop includes items like cheese scrolls, a loaf of bread, shampoo, two KitKats, and more baby nappies. She also purchased beef fillet and ham, which totalled $30.

Zoe shared that the shampoo and crumpets were half-priced, and most of the other items were special.

'All of this from Coles was $103.20,' she said.

'This is why I shop at ALDI—and so should you.’

Zoe's shopping strategy has been met with applause, with many sharing their own experiences of saving money by shopping at ALDI.

One commenter said, 'I shop at ALDI and Woolies. ALDI first, Woolies second. I do my shopping list on the Woolies app and get what’s cheapest at ALDI–but Woolies still has cheap options on some things.'

Another echoed Zoe's sentiments, stating, 'I’ve just started shopping at ALDI. Never going back!'

You can watch Zoe’s video below:

Credit: @zoe.schilling / TikTok

When grocery shopping and budgeting become too overwhelming, sometimes all we need is our trusty smartphone to make our lives easier.

In a previous story, a mum discovered a free mobile app that revolutionised her approach to food shopping, saving her family hundreds of dollars and reducing food waste. You can read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways
  • Mum Zoe Perrone demonstrated how shopping at ALDI can significantly reduce grocery bills.
  • She managed to spend around $200 on groceries at ALDI, whereas previously, she had spent $400 elsewhere.
  • Zoe's shopping strategy involves buying essentials at ALDI and picking up any additional items at Coles or Woolworths.
  • Her ALDI grocery haul impressed many social media users who shared their positive experiences with the discount supermarket.
Do you have any money-saving grocery shopping tips to share? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
That is all very good if you live in the city. I am fed up with all these posts about how I can save money by shopping at Aldi (makes me think they are paying SDC to push their prices etc) when I would have to spend approx. $60 to drive to my nearest Aldi. Many of us do not have a choice other than Woolies & IGA both of which have extremely high prices.

These posts do not tell me how to save on my shopping bill. Please tell me how we can all save on our grocery costs without pushing one company over another.

If you have an aldi close by and I do know it is worth giving it a go. I also shop at both, not every week but often. Aldi is starting to stock many well known brands such as Kellogs and Arnotts. I must agree that some things they do not stock and some of their products I dont like (dont like their bread much) but if you have the time to shop at both it is worth while. I am lucky I have both stores close by

I find that Aldi is great on some food but when it comes to other goods they are sub-standard. The meat and vegetables leave a lot to be desired. Never buy electrical goods there. And their 'SPECIAL DEALS'..... LEAVE THEM ALONE....
All my green grocery shopping is done at the local greengrocer where I know the produce is fresher and cheaper than Aldi.

ALDI is the only place to shop for everything
Hmmmmm yes ALDI is good no question however there has been times I’ve been to ALDI for staples only to find no milk and no eggs. One occasion l asked one of the assistants working on the floor if they had stock out the back. Sorry we don’t was his answer.