‘This is only the beginning’: AI technology’s terrifying role in the explosion of online financial scams

The convenience of online transactions today has become a double-edged sword. While it has made our lives easier, it has also opened Pandora's box of financial scams.

Cybersecurity experts are now raising the alarm about an 'epidemic' of online financial scams fuelled by the rapid advancement of artificial intelligence (AI).

This issue is not confined to any one region; it's a global problem that's reaching uncontrollable levels.

An investigation by the Australian Associated Press FactCheck into cryptocurrency scams targeting the Pacific Islands has shed light on the extent of this issue.

The investigation analysed over 100 Facebook accounts of self-proclaimed crypto traders who were promoting their services to residents of nations such as Papua New Guinea, Fiji, and the Solomon Islands.

shutterstock_789381730.jpg
There has now been an ‘epidemic’ of online financial scams with the help of AI. Credit: Shutterstock

The findings were alarming, revealing deceptive methods, including fake profile images, doctored bank notifications, and false claims of affiliation with top financial institutions.

While Pacific Island nations have been targeted due to their lower financial and media literacy levels and ill-equipped law enforcement, this issue is far from isolated.

In 2022 alone, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) reported that Australians lost more than $3 billion to scams, with $377 million involving fraudulent investment schemes.

Ken Gamble, co-founder of the cybercrime investigation unit IFW Global, warned that AI is making these scams more sophisticated and harder to stop.

'There's a world epidemic of scams,' he said.

'And now that AI is being introduced to the scams, the AI can now expedite the way in which these scams are marketed across social media.'

The result? Scams are being created faster than they can be shut down, making the situation ‘actually uncontrollable’.

Gamble said scammers also use AI to master local languages, allowing them to target 'literally every nation on earth'.

The Pacific Islands are particularly attractive to scammers due to their limited law enforcement capabilities.

'They know that nobody that they scam in those countries is ever going to have a hope in hell of actually recovering their money or investigating,' Gamble said.

Most of these scams originate from organised criminal gangs in Israel, China, and Nigeria. While sophisticated scams target a select number of wealthy individuals in Western nations, fraudsters aim for large numbers of people in the Pacific.

One victim in Papua New Guinea shared her ordeal, explaining how her relative's social media account was hacked, leading her to believe she was discussing an investment with a trusted family member.

In reality, she was speaking directly to the scammer.

'He scammed me big time,' the woman, who asked to remain anonymous, said.

She lost more than 15,000 kina (about $6000 AUD).

shutterstock_1929254936.jpg
Scams are created faster than usual, making the situation ‘actually uncontrollable’. Credit: Shutterstock

Dan Halpin from Cybertrace, a Sydney-based cyberfraud investigations company, emphasised the need for a coordinated global response to tackle this problem.

'This includes not only law enforcement agencies like local police and international bodies like Interpol but also involves raising awareness among the public, strengthening regulatory frameworks, and fostering collaboration between nations,' he said.

Improving cyber literacy levels in the region is also essential, Halpin added.

Gamble echoed this sentiment, warning that unless the issue is treated as a priority, the situation will only worsen, fuelled by advances in AI.

'This is only the beginning of what you're going to see,' he said.

With the surge of AI, it’s crucial to stay informed about the latest scams to protect your hard-earned money.

In a previous story, a consumer group shared the five new scams that anyone could fall victim to this year. You can read more about them here.

You can also read about how scammers have given an old scam a disturbing new twist: impersonating loved ones’ voices.

If you or someone else has been scammed, immediately report it to Scamwatch here. You may also visit our Scam Watch forum to stay updated on the latest scams.
Key Takeaways

• Artificial intelligence is contributing to a surge in sophisticated online financial scams, which are becoming increasingly difficult to control.
  • Scammers are exploiting the low financial and media literacy levels and weak law enforcement in Pacific Island nations, but the problem is a global one, with Australians losing over $3 billion to scams in 2022.
  • Cyber security expert Ken Gamble warned that scams are evolving rapidly with the help of AI, and law enforcement is struggling to keep up.
  • A coordinated global response, improvement in cyber literacy, and strengthening of regulatory frameworks are essential to combat the rising tide of online financial fraud.
What are your thoughts on this issue, members? Have you or someone you know been targeted by such scams? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
Seems like it's getting more complicated than the usual 'don't click any link' blurb we're used to.
I reckon I'm pretty savvy about this stuff, but now I'm worried about AI.

Having severe hearing loss I read lips. AI video scams can't make the lips move correctly to the words spoken in the video. I started adding "SCAM read the lips" in the comments. It seems to started a chain reaction. I havn't seen any of these BS ads for a fews weeks. With AI message scams they might copy the voice but they can't copy the way someone talks. The expressions, manners etc are very different so listen carefully or watch the lips. It's the red flag.

Having severe hearing loss I read lips. AI video scams can't make the lips move correctly to the words spoken in the video. I started adding "SCAM read the lips" in the comments. It seems to started a chain reaction. I havn't seen any of these BS ads for a fews weeks. With AI message scams they might copy the voice but they can't copy the way someone talks. The expressions, manners etc are very different so listen carefully or watch the lips. It's the red flag.
Good point👍

Hello everyone, This cyber security, scares me. If you have a lot of money you cannot keep it all online.
I don't trust any message now, especially on my iPhone. I have upgraded my security on my desktop. It includes ramsomewear & ID protection. I was born with serious hearing issues. I now have my iPhone silenced to callers I don't know, that includes scammers. If in doubt treat it as a scam. Another rule, do not discuss money on social sites. All I see are all the scam warnings. Maybe the online world should be shut down. bye everyone. Be kind to yourself

Reactions: Ezzy and Davmes
as soon as the banks can relieve themselves of the liability it will get even worse ,at present banks make only ex gratis rebates (token)...for large amounts of money ..get the bank make the payment for you

Reactions: Davmes
Had text yesterday saying they were from Medicare and my account was suspended.It asked for $1.00 and my card details are they getting stupid surely no one would fall for that

Reactions: Ezzy