‘This is a travesty’: Has Coles gone too far with their new hot cross bun flavour?

Hot cross buns are a sweet, spiced treat with just the right amount of raisins or currants and a crunchy, indulgent sugar topping.

These are usually associated with Easter, but that hasn’t stopped retailers from selling them at different times of the year!

Their unique flavour is what makes them so special and so beloved, but if you think you’ve seen or tasted it all before, then think again!

The folks over at Coles supermarket have recently remodelled the traditional hot cross bun — and it sparked a major debate!

The grocery chain recently launched its new Special Burger Sauce Hot Cross Buns which, as you probably guessed, taste like the $3.20 store-brand special burger sauce!

Food blogger Foodie Mumma Ren posted a picture of the bizarre-sounding buns, describing them as ‘savoury’ with special burger sauce, pickle pieces, and yes, tasty cheese.

326999374_9047173578627814_1646461622552880726_n.jpg
Coles’ latest hot cross bun offering had some people displeased. Image Credit: Facebook

‘Each year we try to tap into new flavour trends to give customers a fun, modern twist on a hot cross bun, such as our new Coles Special Burger Sauce Hot Cross Buns,’ said Coles General Manager for Bakery Kate Roff.

‘Based on the phenomenal success of our limited edition Vegemite Hot Cross Buns, savoury hot cross buns are the new craze.’

However, it seems that some Aussies beg to disagree.

In the comments section of Foodie Mumma Ren’s post, many weren’t too enthusiastic about Coles’ newest hot cross bun offering.

‘Yep, that’s a no for me,’ one user said.

‘Hot cross buns are getting ridiculous now,’ another added, which another user agreed with: ‘This is a travesty.’

‘Pickle pieces? Say less,’ said a fourth.

And one mum shared: ‘My 12-year-old who will eat almost anything just gagged. Guess they are not for her.’

But despite the general apprehension. There were also a few people who were on the fence, if not excited.

‘As someone who detests a normal hot cross bun, I’d love these!’ one user exclaimed.

‘(Be right back) while I go spend my entire paycheck on all this deliciousness,’ another said after he was tagged in the comments section.

‘That’s cool, I have to try some maybe,’ another added.

Along with Special Burger Sauce Hot Cross Buns, Coles also launched new cream cheese frosting-filled Red Velvet and Carrot Cake hot cross bun flavours.

photo-1515189703465-7a8ee3f0146c.jpg
Hot cross buns are an Easter staple in Australia. Image Credit: Unsplash

The burger sauce buns are sold at $5 for a 4-pack, while the dessert-inspired buns both retail at $6 for the same amount.

It is understood that the flavours are sold nationwide.

As Roff earlier said, Coles already got tongues wagging last January when they relaunched their Vegemite and Cheese Hot Cross Bun.

The cheese and Vegemite-laden snack also had mixed reactions from Aussies, including an outstanding 10/10 rating (from an initial 1/10, notably) for taste from TikTok food critic Russ Eats.

The retailer also released a limited-edition spicy Jalapeno pepper hot cross bun in March of 2022.

Key Takeaways
  • Coles supermarket announced a brand new hot cross bun variety.
  • The limited edition pack includes a photo of a bottle of the popular Coles condiment, along with the words 'made with our delicious Special Burger Sauce'.
  • The reaction to the very different buns has been divided, with many believing Coles has 'gone too far' and others being open to the concept.
  • Coles also launched Red Velvet and Carrot Cake hot cross buns.
  • The new hot cross buns from Coles are available in packs of four in stores nationally.
April’s just around the corner, so there’s plenty of time for Coles to surprise us with any new twists they have on this Easter classic.

That said, it remains to be seen if they manage to get into CHOICE’s list of top hot cross buns after failing to do so last year.

In the meantime, you might want to consider taking a bite of their Special Burger Sauce Hot Cross Buns.

So, what do you think of Coles’ new hot cross bun releases? Do you like alternative takes on the traditional Easter treat, or do you count yourself among those who’d give savoury hot cross buns a hard pass?

Tell us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Hot cross buns are a sweet, spiced treat with just the right amount of raisins or currants and a crunchy, indulgent sugar topping.

These are usually associated with Easter, but that hasn’t stopped retailers from selling them at different times of the year!

Their unique flavour is what makes them so special and so beloved, but if you think you’ve seen or tasted it all before, then think again!

The folks over at Coles supermarket have recently remodelled the traditional hot cross bun — and it sparked a major debate!

The grocery chain recently launched its new Special Burger Sauce Hot Cross Buns which, as you probably guessed, taste like the $3.20 store-brand special burger sauce!

Food blogger Foodie Mumma Ren posted a picture of the bizarre-sounding buns, describing them as ‘savoury’ with special burger sauce, pickle pieces, and yes, tasty cheese.

View attachment 13082
Coles’ latest hot cross bun offering had some people displeased. Image Credit: Facebook

‘Each year we try to tap into new flavour trends to give customers a fun, modern twist on a hot cross bun, such as our new Coles Special Burger Sauce Hot Cross Buns,’ said Coles General Manager for Bakery Kate Roff.

‘Based on the phenomenal success of our limited edition Vegemite Hot Cross Buns, savoury hot cross buns are the new craze.’

In the comments section of Foodie Mumma Ren’s post, many weren’t too enthusiastic about Coles’ newest hot cross bun offering.

‘Hot cross buns are getting ridiculous now,’ another added, which another user agreed with: ‘This is a travesty.’

And one mum shared: ‘My 12-year-old who will eat almost anything just gagged. Guess they are not for her.’

But despite the general apprehension. There were also a few people who were on the fence, if not excited.

‘As someone who detests a normal hot cross bun, I’d love these!’ one user exclaimed.

‘(Be right back) while I go spend my entire paycheck on all this deliciousness,’ another said after he was tagged in the comments section.

Along with Special Burger Sauce Hot Cross Buns, Coles also launched new cream cheese frosting-filled Red Velvet and Carrot Cake hot cross bun flavours.

View attachment 13083

The burger sauce buns are sold at $5 for a 4-pack, while the dessert-inspired buns both retail at $6 for the same amount.

As Roff earlier said, Coles already got tongues wagging last January when they relaunched their Vegemite and Cheese Hot Cross Bun.

The cheese and Vegemite-laden snack also had mixed reactions from Aussies, including an outstanding 10/10 rating (from an initial 1/10, notably) for taste from TikTok food critic Russ Eats.

The retailer also released a limited-edition spicy Jalapeno pepper hot cross bun in March of 2022.

Key Takeaways

• The limited edition pack includes a photo of a bottle of the popular Coles condiment, along with the words 'made with our delicious Special Burger Sauce'.
  • The reaction to the very different buns has been divided, with many believing Coles has 'gone too far' and others being open to the concept.
  • The new hot cross buns from Coles are available in packs of four in stores nationally.
April’s just around the corner, so there’s plenty of time for Coles to surprise us with any new twists they have on this Easter classic.

That said, it remains to be seen if they manage to get into CHOICE’s list of top hot cross buns after failing to do so last year.

In the meantime, you might want to consider taking a bite of their Special Burger Sauce Hot Cross Buns.

So, what do you think of Coles’ new hot cross bun releases? Do you like alternative takes on the traditional Easter treat, or do you count yourself among those who’d give savoury hot cross buns a hard pass?

There’s always someone who wants to ruin something traditional. Maybe focus on bread rolls with all these funky tastes and flavours 😞

You and everyone else seems to be missing one point with hot-cross-buns. They are meant to be hot. Back in the "good old days", bakers advertised and sold HOT cross(ed) buns. Yes, they were hot, fresh from the oven. What would all your readers say if the bought hot pies or hot chips and they were cold?

The words Hot Cross Buns conjure up a picture of warm, fruity and spicy buns. I'm finding it increasingly difficult to picture these wild and wacky concoctions that the stores want us to embrace. I really think that with this latest offering they have gone a step too far, I won't be trying them.:sick:

View attachment 13082

View attachment 13083

Key Takeaways

Hot X buns are very traditional and should only be with or without fruit, and that is it. All these other flavours are not Hot X buns but simply a derivative of the original. In my opinion should not be called Hot X buns.

View attachment 13082

View attachment 13083

Key Takeaways

someone has an overactive imagination.

You and everyone else seems to be missing one point with hot-cross-buns. They are meant to be hot. Back in the "good old days", bakers advertised and sold HOT cross(ed) buns. Yes, they were hot, fresh from the oven. What would all your readers say if the bought hot pies or hot chips and they were cold?
Weren't those the days. I remember my Mama would take me for a walk to the shops and a wonderful surprise would be waiting for me. Buns hot out of the oven and they were much bigger than my hand. More buns would come home to share with my Dad. My Dad delivered milk to all the houses, not many back then lol, and also to my schoothe corner shop, the milk bar, the cake shop, the fruit shop and the local garage. As we were a rather a small community, perks for Dad being a good milkman were awesome for me. A milkshake, a nice big apple and I loved my fizzy Mirinda drink at the garage. Those were the days 😃😋🙃😊

View attachment 13082

View attachment 13083

Key Takeaways

All those savory flavors are not for hot cross bun! Only fruit and spices are for real! The others should just be ‘buns’ not ‘hot cross’ buns !!! Just rediculous!
Hot cross buns are traditional things so should always remain as fruity spicy buns! Soon we’ll be getting vegemite or cheesy Christmas puddings etc!?!?!

I love normal and the chocolate hot cross buns, normal ones with lashings of butter and the chocolate ones on their own but I am trying to be good and I am not going to have any until Good Friday. We have some in the freezer, my husband eats them but I have not had any !

I can remember when i was about twelve being sent to our local bakers on good Friday to buy some hot cross buns as it was the only day that they were available, i had to get up really early as queues would form for the buns fresh out of the oven. Nowadays they are available well before christmas and are sold in PLASTIC packages stone cold and the flavour is mostly nothing like it should be. As fore changing the flavours it do's nothing for me so nowadays we don't buy any at all.

These are the most bizarre things I have ever tasted. Absolute sacrilege. My sister picked up a pack on her way to work the other morning and we had one each, cold and unbuttered, had the weirdest taste ever. Maybe they taste different hot and with butter but I won't be buying them myself to find out. Gross.

Reactions: Ricci