‘This is a national emergency’: ‘Shortage’ of iconic Aussie product leaves shoppers desperate for answers

The humble tinned beetroot, a staple in households, has mysteriously disappeared from the shelves of Woolworths, Coles, and ALDI, leaving shoppers puzzled and frustrated.

This iconic Aussie buy, a beloved addition to hamburgers and salads, has been noticeably absent for weeks, sparking a wave of concern and curiosity among consumers.

Disgruntled shoppers have taken to social media platforms over the past month, expressing their bewilderment and disappointment over the unavailability of tinned beetroot.

The situation has been dubbed the 'great beetroot shortage' and even a 'national emergency' by some, with numerous social media posts attracting hundreds of comments from consumers eager to know when their favourite product will return.

426986030_785598790263107_8043563126774007092_n.jpg
Shoppers took to social media their concerns about why no beetroot is available in supermarkets. Credit: Born of Convicts / Facebook

One shopper lamented, 'I cannot buy beetroot anywhere, not Coles, not Woolies and not even ALDI. Beetroot is simply no longer available, and nobody knows if it will return for a long time.'

Another echoed the sentiment, saying, 'The great beetroot shortage! Coles, Woolies and ALDI have no tinned beetroot! Woe indeed, fix it somebody and explain why!'

A third added, ‘There’s no beetroot in the supermarkets? This is a national emergency.’

The sudden disappearance of tinned beetroot from supermarket shelves has left many consumers scratching their heads.

Some have even approached store staff for answers, only to be met with similar confusion.

'Where has all the beetroot gone? It has been weeks now, and no beetroot on the shelves in my local store. I asked two staff in the [Woolworths] store, and they had no idea why,' shared a concerned shopper.

Finally, representatives from Coles and Woolworths have shed some light on the situation.

They stated that recent weather events have led to an unexpected shortage across the industry.

A Woolworths spokesperson explained, 'Due to adverse growing conditions, customers may notice varying supply levels of canned beetroot available across our store network.'

'We’re in close contact with our suppliers, and we’re working on contingency plans to minimise any potential disruption to our customers.’

‘We encourage customers to be flexible if the products they would usually purchase are not available.'

Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 9.47.04 AM.png
Another shopper is asking for answers about the shortage of beetroot. Credit: Facebook

A Coles spokesperson echoed these sentiments, stating, 'Due to recent weather events, the availability of canned beetroot has been impacted across the industry.

‘We know how much our customers enjoy this product, and we expect to see more stock on shelves over the coming months.'

‘The good news is that our supply of fresh beetroot has not been affected, with plenty available across our stores and online,’ they added.

It’s understood that tinned beetroot products have already started returning to ALDI stores nationally after a period of reduced availability.

Recent weather events led supermarket chains to grapple with the harsh reality of plummeting essential food and supplies.

In a previous story, shoppers came across barren Coles and Woolworths fruit and vegetable stands.

At the same time, the refrigerated section was devoid of meat packs. What happened? You can read more about it here.
Key Takeaways
  • There's been a notable shortage of tinned beetroot across major supermarkets, including Coles, Woolworths, and ALDI.
  • Shoppers have expressed their confusion and frustration on social media, with some labelling the situation a 'national emergency'.
  • Supermarket representatives have cited adverse weather conditions as the cause of the disrupted supply of canned beetroot.
  • While waiting for tinned beetroot stocks to normalise, the supermarkets suggest their customers try the readily available fresh beetroot, and ALDI has begun restocking after a period of reduced availability.
Have you been affected by the beetroot shortage? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
I think that’s another sneaky, deceptive tactic from the major supermarkets. Take away an old favourite staple product for a period of time and then reintroduce it with a spike rise in price. Grow your own beetroot folks. Cook it yourself - you’ve not tasted anything as delicious as fresh beetroot! You can also eat beetroot raw.

Reactions: MariaG
We like eating beetroot on salads, burgers and sandwiches. However, I will not go into a deep depression if I cannot buy any for a while.

Funny thing. My mum hails from Europe. She said that in many parts of Europe, beetroot is considered an unnecessary vegetable and is fed to the pigs. No accounting for bad taste, hey.
Europeans say that about pumpkin too!!

We like eating beetroot on salads, burgers and sandwiches. However, I will not go into a deep depression if I cannot buy any for a while.

Funny thing. My mum hails from Europe. She said that in many parts of Europe, beetroot is considered an unnecessary vegetable and is fed to the pigs. No accounting for bad taste, hey.
Europeans say that about pumpkin too!!

Reactions: MariaG and Penny4
well Coles does have their own brand and it says it is grown in China - great going Coles - more food grown in poo water! NO THANKS!!!!! i want the aussie grown least it isn't grown in a crap field.

Reactions: Bridgit and Penny4
I was in my local Coles store today and there was plenty of tinned beetroot on the shelves.

I just checked I have 4 tins in the pantry who wants one $20 a tin, just joking

Use to buy all AUS fresh vegs & even had a quite large garden which I use to can or jar (even some in prep for the freezer) all my vegies. But sad due to health I to closed down my vegie garden. Only left with buying but even that now is very hard to do. So, my only options now are buying what's on offer at the supermarkets. But me I just do without now as I can't afford those prices and most taste nasty.

Beetroot are easy to grow. They take up little space and can be grown all year round. Growing leaves are fantastic in a Garden salad.You should never be out of stock.

Reactions: NotNats
Beetroot are easy to grow. They take up little space and can be grown all year round. Growing leaves are fantastic in a Garden salad.You should never be out of stock.
I had to stop growing my own due to HEALTH reasons.

I haven't been able to buy either Edgell or Golden Circle beetroot in my local Drakes store for some time but they are offering some that are made in China. I notice these are not selling very fast. I for one refuse to buy them.

Reactions: Bridgit
A shortage of tinned beetroot doesn't affect me - I hate the stuff. However I was shocked to find there were no tinned peas in supermarkets and haven't been for a couple of weeks. Living alone, I found the small tins perfect as an accompaniment to a meal for one. I know they probably have added sugar but I prefer them to frozen.

Reactions: IAN3005
View attachment 41306
Someone from Southern Qld sent me this on FB. Don't know where you buy them tho. But I have seen they brand at supermarkets.
Might be worth a go.

View attachment 41306
Someone from Southern Qld sent me this on FB. Don't know where you buy them tho. But I have seen they brand at supermarkets.
Might be worth a go.
The 333's has an outstanding taste. Brought the memories of the early 80's back to me when we first tried it. To a time we grew and cooked our own. Not as good as home grown, but way better than anything else on the market.

A relative in Broken Hill still can't buy beetroot anywhere in the town. Today we are arranging a couple of 333's to go up there with her son who is visiting her shortly. Should be a nice surprise.

Plenty of 333's at our local Coles supermarket.

I think that’s another sneaky, deceptive tactic from the major supermarkets. Take away an old favourite staple product for a period of time and then reintroduce it with a spike rise in price. Grow your own beetroot folks. Cook it yourself - you’ve not tasted anything as delicious as fresh beetroot! You can also eat beetroot raw.
No in NZ the entire crops were wiped out due to storms etc just before harvest - weather has caused the same here in OZ.

A shortage of tinned beetroot doesn't affect me - I hate the stuff. However I was shocked to find there were no tinned peas in supermarkets and haven't been for a couple of weeks. Living alone, I found the small tins perfect as an accompaniment to a meal for one. I know they probably have added sugar but I prefer them to frozen.
I haven't been able to buy Edgells green peas for over 2 months.

I haven't been able to buy Edgells green peas for over 2 months.
Just bought a small pack of 4 Edgell Endamame beans in tins for snacking mainly. Read about how good it is for you. Haven't tried yet.

I am looking to improve the quality of nutrients I'm taking on board and better tucker in general. Trying hard to move away from ultra processed foods.

Heard that upf's screw up brain neurons leading to issues with learning over time plus not helping the alzheimer or short term memory thing.

The 333's has an outstanding taste. Brought the memories of the early 80's back to me when we first tried it. To a time we grew and cooked our own. Not as good as home grown, but way better than anything else on the market.

A relative in Broken Hill still can't buy beetroot anywhere in the town. Today we are arranging a couple of 333's to go up there with her son who is visiting her shortly. Should be a nice surprise.

Plenty of 333's at our local Coles supermarket.
We bought golden circle from Drakes

Hmmmm expect the price to go through the roof when the cume back....