‘So excited to find out’: Aussie discovers ‘crazy’ banknote rule

Imagine opening your wallet and seeing a torn banknote inside. Your first reaction might be disappointment, followed by the urge to dispose of this 'worthless' piece of paper.

But hold on to it because a ‘crazy’ banking rule could turn that shred of disappointment into a delightful surprise.

A worker named Jacinta Lonzaneda discovered this when she stumbled upon an unusual but completely legitimate manner to convert damaged currency into crisp, new banknotes.

Jacinta was handed a $20 note at work, torn into two fragments.

Intrigued by hearsay about reclaiming money for damaged notes, she decided to take the torn pieces to her local bank.

Photo_20240307_084042_0000.png
Jacinta wanted to find out if she could reclaim damaged notes from the bank. Credit: @jacintalonzaneda / TikTok

'I’ve heard that depending on the severity of the damage to the note, you get a percentage back,' she confessed in a video online.

This curiosity led her to embark on a banking adventure that would inspire many to scout their wallets for tattered notes.

‘Because, technically, I’d be handing her 75 per cent of the note, I should get $15 for this? But I don’t know, so I’m so excited this has happened so I can find out,’ she said.

Upon presenting the two sections of the $20 note to the bank, Jacinta discovered something remarkable.

To her surprise, Jacinta was handed a fresh $20 note in exchange for the mangled one.

The bank teller informed her that banks indeed accept torn banknotes, and the reimbursement depended on the amount of the note that was missing.

However, the worker added it was ‘best to have the other part’ if possible.

Following this surprising banking encounter, Jacinta couldn’t resist sharing the 'crazy' rule that enabled her to swap a split note for a flawless one.

You can watch Jacinta’s video below:

Credit: @jacintalonzaneda / TikTok

Although she imagined that the serial numbers of banknotes were important in assessing damage, the Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) set the record straight on its website: serial numbers are irrelevant when evaluating the worth of damaged banknotes.

Under RBA’s policy, if less than 20 per cent of a banknote is missing, you can reclaim the full value for the remaining piece. If more of the note is missing, the refund will depend on the size of the missing portion.

However, the banking rule doesn’t apply to extremely damaged notes with more than 80 per cent missing.

For those who have damaged banknotes, taking them to a financial institution or bank can help assess their value based on a ‘grid' provided by the RBA.

In situations where the bank isn’t accessible, claims can be lodged directly with the RBA. A claim form should be filed, and the damaged note enclosed in a sealed bag must be sent over.

In the 2022-2023 financial year, RBA processed roughly 8,900 claims for damaged banknotes and refunded a substantial $14.3 million.
Key Takeaways

• Jacinta Lonzaneda shared her experience on how she obtained a full replacement for her torn $20 banknote at her bank.
  • The Reserve Bank of Australia's policy claimed that damaged notes can be exchanged depending on the severity of the damage and the size of the note that remains.
  • The customer was initially unsure about how much money she would receive, thinking she might get $15 for 75 per cent of the note, only to find out she was eligible for a full $20 note replacement.
  • The RBA processes claims for damaged banknotes and, last financial year, paid out $14.3 million for approximately 8,900 claims.
Have you tried replacing your damaged banknote with your bank? Let us know in the comments below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
You are incredibly lucky - I tried to hand in/exchange a damaged $50 note a few years ago. Was told by the bank that they would not accept it as legal tender and I was better off throwing it out. Was not a happy person I can tell you. This note was given to me from a shop. I now check all notes given to me before leaving the point of sale area.

Reactions: janj
Old news. And someone must have cut that note because polymer ones don't just tear.
On the another note 😁 surprised the bank didn't charge to change it like they do with coins.

You are incredibly lucky - I tried to hand in/exchange a damaged $50 note a few years ago. Was told by the bank that they would not accept it as legal tender and I was better off throwing it out. Was not a happy person I can tell you. This note was given to me from a shop. I now check all notes given to me before leaving the point of sale area.
same thing happened to me

If ever I get a ripped bank note, I have just always sticky taped it back together, the shops ECT have always taken it, and I have so often received sticky taped notes in change over the years. Never had a problem, you don't need to go all of the way to the bank, just sticky tape it. Even mum and dad use to do that before they sadly passed away.

That's been avaliable for donks, I had a puppy years ago that ate most of a bank note went to bank was told as long as the number is intact they can replace it

The banks are legally obliged to replace, it doesn't cost the bank a cent because they return them to the mint

Last year I had a torn $10 note. It was just a small tear not even a 1/4 way from bottom to the top.
It was given to me in change, and I didn't even notice until I tried to purchase something in the Reject Shop.
( Of all the shops to try to spend it, but this is the truth. ) The cashier refused to accept it, and I complained that it was legal tender, and I asked to speak to the Manager. Of course no one came to speak to me.
I worked in a Bank, many years ago and I was amazed that they wouldn't accept it. However, I did use it at another store and I had no problem there at all.

When I worked in retail we always included torn notes, repaired as best as possible with the day’s take. It is all legal tender. I knew that 75% or more was classed as a whole note.