‘Rude’ checkout question sparks a heated debate among Woolworths Rewards members

Rewards programs at supermarkets do help shoppers save money on their purchases. It’s set up as a way for these retailers to say thank you to their customers, and to entice consumers to keep supporting the store.

One major Aussie supermarket, Woolworths, offers a popular rewards program for its customers. Not only does it provide discounts and extra points that we can use towards future purchases, but it's also a great way to save money on groceries overall.

However, these programs also come with their fair share of dilemmas.

One curious rewards member asked in a Facebook group if it might be considered ‘rude’ to swipe your Rewards card on someone else’s grocery shop at the checkout, provided they gave permission.

But the members may have come to regret asking this question as a heated debate broke out under their post, revealing a surprisingly divisive comments section.

woolies.jpg
If someone asked this, would you give them your permission? Credit: Woolworths

‘Would you find it rude if the customer in front of you doesn’t have a rewards card [and] you politely ask if you could scan your card [instead]?’ They said in their post.

It was revealed that her question came after she scored a free 852 points from another shopper who bought $160 worth of groceries and didn’t have a card of their own.

The original poster said that the other shopper was ‘more than happy’ to let them scan their card when they asked.

But other social media users suggested approaching these incidents with ‘caution’ because they argued it was ethically wrong to ‘claim benefits from groceries you didn’t pay for’.

Someone wrote: ‘You didn’t pay for the items nor did you earn them, the team members can actually refuse you scanning your card and can remove it from the system.’

Hundreds agreed that it was acceptable to take someone else’s points, provided that the other person offered first. But if not, then it wouldn’t be acceptable to ask to take them.

woolies2.jpg
Hundreds argued in the comments section. Credit: Woolworths group

Another commented that when they worked at the checkout, customers would sometimes ask the person behind them if they wanted to scan their card on their groceries. ‘As for asking the person in front to use your card, I think this is rude,’ they added.

A third explained: ‘Asking if someone wants your points and asking someone if you can take them, are very different things.’

Others reported their experiences with more ‘covert’ shoppers.

‘I had the person behind me the other week scan their card after I’d already scanned mine,’ said one. The person went on to add that they managed to override the system with their card but nonetheless felt annoyed.

Some experienced other customers ‘shuffling up close’ to the scanner and attempting to scan their card first. One person said that they had one lady trying to do this before they finished paying for their items. ‘I gave her “the look” and she backed away,’ they continued.

Several Facebook users, however, felt that there was no harm in asking.

‘Nah, not rude at all! You asked. She said yes. End of,’ wrote one.

A spokesperson for Woolworths said that using the rewards points of others was ‘generally discouraged’ because it would affect what offers they received.

They explained: ‘To ensure our customers are getting the most value from the program, offers and boosters are tailored to each member, based on their shopping habits.’

Key Takeaways

• Woolworths Rewards members debated whether it’s rude to ask someone else if you can scan your card at the checkout in order to receive points.
  • Some members argued that it was ethically wrong to claim benefits from groceries you didn’t personally pay for.
  • Others said that it is acceptable to take points from someone else if they offer, but not acceptable to ask to take them.
  • Woolworths discouraged shoppers from using Rewards cards that weren’t their own, as it can affect the offers the person receives.
What’s your take on this issue, folks? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
Rewards programs at supermarkets do help shoppers save money on their purchases. It’s set up as a way for these retailers to say thank you to their customers, and to entice consumers to keep supporting the store.

One major Aussie supermarket, Woolworths, offers a popular rewards program for its customers. Not only does it provide discounts and extra points that we can use towards future purchases, but it's also a great way to save money on groceries overall.

One curious rewards member asked in a Facebook group if it might be considered ‘rude’ to swipe your Rewards card on someone else’s grocery shop at the checkout, provided they gave permission.

But the members may have come to regret asking this question as a heated debate broke out under their post, revealing a surprisingly divisive comments section.

View attachment 10112

‘Would you find it rude if the customer in front of you doesn’t have a rewards card [and] you politely ask if you could scan your card [instead]?’ They said in their post.

It was revealed that her question came after she scored a free 852 points from another shopper who bought $160 worth of groceries and didn’t have a card of their own.

The original poster said that the other shopper was ‘more than happy’ to let them scan their card when they asked.

But other social media users suggested approaching these incidents with ‘caution’ because they argued it was ethically wrong to ‘claim benefits from groceries you didn’t pay for’.

Someone wrote: ‘You didn’t pay for the items nor did you earn them, the team members can actually refuse you scanning your card and can remove it from the system.’

Hundreds agreed that it was acceptable to take someone else’s points, provided that the other person offered first. But if not, then it wouldn’t be acceptable to ask to take them.

View attachment 10113

Another commented that when they worked at the checkout, customers would sometimes ask the person behind them if they wanted to scan their card on their groceries. ‘As for asking the person in front to use your card, I think this is rude,’ they added.

A third explained: ‘Asking if someone wants your points and asking someone if you can take them, are very different things.’

‘I had the person behind me the other week scan their card after I’d already scanned mine,’ said one. The person went on to add that they managed to override the system with their card but nonetheless felt annoyed.

Some experienced other customers ‘shuffling up close’ to the scanner and attempting to scan their card first. One person said that they had one lady trying to do this before they finished paying for their items. ‘I gave her “the look” and she backed away,’ they continued.

A spokesperson for Woolworths said that using the rewards points of others was ‘generally discouraged’ because it would affect what offers they received.

They explained: ‘To ensure our customers are getting the most value from the program, offers and boosters are tailored to each member, based on their shopping habits.’

Key Takeaways

• Woolworths Rewards members debated whether it’s rude to ask someone else if you can scan your card at the checkout in order to receive points.
  • Some members argued that it was ethically wrong to claim benefits from groceries you didn’t personally pay for.
  • Others said that it is acceptable to take points from someone else if they offer, but not acceptable to ask to take them.
  • Woolworths discouraged shoppers from using Rewards cards that weren’t their own, as it can affect the offers the person receives.
What’s your take on this issue, folks? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments below!
It's actually theft. You are claiming points that aren't yours so you are defrauding the company. Be very careful who's watching when you do this or you could end up in court.

View attachment 10112

View attachment 10113

Key Takeaways

I ask them, if they say yes that's ok then I scan away, can't see why it is a problem instead of letting points go to waste.

If this becomes the general practice I can see the end of rewards cards. It has already happened in one store where you got cards stamped or punched & they were then sold on EBay. They were removed & we lost the opportunity for freebies when we had collected enough stamps.
You are only entitled to the points you have earned by spending in their shop. Don't be greedy.

Scanning for other people's rewards is just greedy.... Recently, I was building a project for a friend. She told me that another friend could get a discount with their membership to Mitre10 .. and my friend agreed with the person buying the timber and hardware and I ended up with the receipt dockets, only to find out that anyone of us could have bought the $2,000 worth of hardware for the project at the same prices .. What they were not telling my friend was that they collected a large block of rewards for the transactions and THEN purchased their own hardware WITH THE REWARDS. Those rewards belonged to my friend but she was scammed out of them BY A SO-CALLED FRIEND.

Woolies should set up a default reward system for a charity close by each store and offer customers to direct their reward points to that charity if they are not personally using the rewards program? So either the shopper scans their card or a "store charity card" is used instead - and post weekly what the Charity has received from "points donations"? No more problem.....

Although I don't don't ask strangers to allow me to scan my rewards card, I see nothing wrong with it. It is definitely not "theft" as some are suggesting.

My partner and I don't live in the same household (yet, we're 250 km apart) and we each have our own rewards cards. however, there have been plenty of occasions when we used each other's cards. For example, I have to dig deep into my handbag for my IKEA card, so I often tell him to swipe his when we're in the store, the same applies if either one of us has spent enough to qualify for the quarterly reward, we use the other partner's card.

Reactions: Jennie
I've had people offer me their points on a couple of occasions and have accepted their offer, but I would never dream of asking someone for them - how rude is that. As for trying to steal someone else's points by moving in before they have even finished their transaction...well, words fail me. One way to avoid someone stealing your points is to make sure that your cart is always between you and the person in the queue behind you, and not in front of you. I do this routinely as a way of maintaining social distance, because I have had people crowd me whilst in line. (I thought they just lacked social awareness but maybe they had an ulterior motive). You can easily control the amount of space between you and the person in front of you by hanging back a bit, but you can't prevent the person behind you moving up close to you unless you use the cart as an obstacle.

Woolies should set up a default reward system for a charity close by each store and offer customers to direct their reward points to that charity if they are not personally using the rewards program? So either the shopper scans their card or a "store charity card" is used instead - and post weekly what the Charity has received from "points donations"? No more problem.....
What an excellent idea; you should share this with Woolies’ CEO 👍🌺

Reactions: Maurie7
What a great idea

Reactions: Maurie7

View attachment 10112

View attachment 10113

Key Takeaways

I've heard the checkout operator ask "have you got a Woolies card" and on a couple of occasions, when the customer has said no, I have asked if I can use mine. I see NOTHING wrong whatsoever - the groceries have been paid for and if the customer who bought them doesn't mind, it shouldn't be anyone else's business imo.

CHEATING: Acting dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage!!
So, what that woman or any other person does also, it’s wrong.
It defeats the purpose, which is rewarding those who spend money on what they purchase. It shouldn’t happen if third parties aren’t authorised to do so, by the rewards program.

If someone asked me if I wanted to scan my card I don't see anything wrong with it. No difference if they give me their points or keep them their selves . Groceries are paid for,

However I would never ask anyone if I could scan my card .

As for people jumping in and scanning their cards on your shop without asking is just plain rude and disrespectful.

View attachment 10112

View attachment 10113

Key Takeaways