‘Right place, right time’ – see how this shopper saved $269 on her chicken haul

Don't we all love a good bargain? Especially when it comes to grocery shopping. Scoring discounts on items and finding products at sale prices can save us quite a bit of money – which is what we all need these days!

This was the case for one shopper who ‘scored the deal of a lifetime’ after purchasing a massive meat and seafood haul for just $70.40 – however, not everyone was happy for her.

We understand that grocery bills can stretch a purse string tight these days. That’s why special buys and markdowns can be a lifesaver when it comes to trimming your spending.

One woman can attest to this truth because she pulled off an unbelievable deal at her local Coles! In fact, her massive haul of $329.38 worth of chicken and salmon was slashed down to $70.40 – a total saving of $268.92!

chicken.jpg
Who doesn’t love a good BBQ in the summer? Credit: Pixabay/Pexels

She posted her haul on Facebook and wrote how she ‘couldn’t wait’ to share the food with loved ones over the holidays. ‘Right place, right time. Thank you, Coles Mount Gambier,’ she captioned.

‘Markdown lady said Merry Christmas! My family and friends will be happy.’

In the photo she attached to her post, the woman revealed her cart was filled with 21 packs of chicken breast fillets ($3.12 each), one packet of chicken thigh fillets ($4.50) and two packs of salmon ($3.25 apiece) – all drastically discounted.

Members of the Facebook group admitted how the woman’s bargain buy was ‘one of the best’ they’d ever seen.

chicken2.jpg
That’s a lot of chicken! Credit: Facebook

One commented: ‘What an awesome score for you and your family. Especially at this time of year.

‘Winner winner, chicken dinner!’ Another quipped.

Other shoppers asked the woman how she managed to score such a great deal, to which the woman responded that she was in-store as the items were being marked down – specifically, she was there at 5:15 pm.

Many have said in the past that supermarkets have a specified time when they slash their prices. You can read more about that here and here. This comes after Coles revealed that ‘there isn’t a set time to find heavily discounted items in their stores.’

However, others weren’t happy for the woman. They said that she ‘should have left some’ behind for others to enjoy, especially because of the holiday season and there may be a shortage of items in stores.

According to industry experts, Aussie supermarkets are about to face an ‘alarming’ scarcity of chicken meat. Prices are also expected to rise by 12 per cent by the end of the year. Read more on that here.

chicken3.jpg
Some experts said there might be a chicken shortage until early next year. Credit: Julia Filirovska/Pexels

These negative comments were soon drowned out by many social media users who came to the woman’s defence.

‘If there are bargains like this, I grab them! If there are others around me at the time, I offer but otherwise, I take the whole lot.’ One shared. The same person added that they share their buys with friends and family, and used the food for meal prepping on Sundays when they ‘feed half the neighbourhood’.

Many agreed with the statement and said they would’ve done the same in the woman’s place. Someone wrote: ‘Times are tough and things are expensive, [so] take all you need! Good score!’

‘Never judge someone whose situation you don’t know. Good for you! I’m jealous, I love a bargain.’

Key Takeaways

• A Coles customer recently scored a major bargain buy in her local store, purchasing $329.38 worth of chicken and salmon for just $70.40, saving herself $268.92.
  • She bought 21 packs of chicken breast fillets, one packet of chicken thigh fillets and two packs of salmon at almost a third of their original price.
  • This got the attention of many other shoppers, who both congratulated and criticised the bargain hunter.
Would you have done the same if you were in the shopper’s situation? Share with us your thoughts in the comments section!

Reactions: Ricci
Sponsored
I think I wouldn't have taken them all. When I come across bargains I actually feel guilty taking the lot.

I get my chicken from a wholesale place that my son inlaw works for.
I just ordered 20kg of chicken 10kg breast fillet and 10kg thigh fillet for $150

He told me it's going up heaps next week he actually thinks by 30 %

Don't we all love a good bargain? Especially when it comes to grocery shopping. Scoring discounts on items and finding products at sale prices can save us quite a bit of money – which is what we all need these days!

This was the case for one shopper who ‘scored the deal of a lifetime’ after purchasing a massive meat and seafood haul for just $70.40 – however, not everyone was happy for her.

We understand that grocery bills can stretch a purse string tight these days. That’s why special buys and markdowns can be a lifesaver when it comes to trimming your spending.

One woman can attest to this truth because she pulled off an unbelievable deal at her local Coles! In fact, her massive haul of $329.38 worth of chicken and salmon was slashed down to $70.40 – a total saving of $268.92!

View attachment 10731
Who doesn’t love a good BBQ in the summer? Credit: Pixabay/Pexels

She posted her haul on Facebook and wrote how she ‘couldn’t wait’ to share the food with loved ones over the holidays. ‘Right place, right time. Thank you, Coles Mount Gambier,’ she captioned.

‘Markdown lady said Merry Christmas! My family and friends will be happy.’

In the photo she attached to her post, the woman revealed her cart was filled with 21 packs of chicken breast fillets ($3.12 each), one packet of chicken thigh fillets ($4.50) and two packs of salmon ($3.25 apiece) – all drastically discounted.

Members of the Facebook group admitted how the woman’s bargain buy was ‘one of the best’ they’d ever seen.

View attachment 10732
That’s a lot of chicken! Credit: Facebook

One commented: ‘What an awesome score for you and your family. Especially at this time of year.

‘Winner winner, chicken dinner!’ Another quipped.

Other shoppers asked the woman how she managed to score such a great deal, to which the woman responded that she was in-store as the items were being marked down – specifically, she was there at 5:15 pm.

Many have said in the past that supermarkets have a specified time when they slash their prices. You can read more about that here and here. This comes after Coles revealed that ‘there isn’t a set time to find heavily discounted items in their stores.’

However, others weren’t happy for the woman. They said that she ‘should have left some’ behind for others to enjoy, especially because of the holiday season and there may be a shortage of items in stores.

According to industry experts, Aussie supermarkets are about to face an ‘alarming’ scarcity of chicken meat. Prices are also expected to rise by 12 per cent by the end of the year. Read more on that here.

View attachment 10733
Some experts said there might be a chicken shortage until early next year. Credit: Julia Filirovska/Pexels

These negative comments were soon drowned out by many social media users who came to the woman’s defence.

‘If there are bargains like this, I grab them! If there are others around me at the time, I offer but otherwise, I take the whole lot.’ One shared. The same person added that they share their buys with friends and family, and used the food for meal prepping on Sundays when they ‘feed half the neighbourhood’.

Many agreed with the statement and said they would’ve done the same in the woman’s place. Someone wrote: ‘Times are tough and things are expensive, [so] take all you need! Good score!’

‘Never judge someone whose situation you don’t know. Good for you! I’m jealous, I love a bargain.’

Key Takeaways

• A Coles customer recently scored a major bargain buy in her local store, purchasing $329.38 worth of chicken and salmon for just $70.40, saving herself $268.92.
  • She bought 21 packs of chicken breast fillets, one packet of chicken thigh fillets and two packs of salmon at almost a third of their original price.
  • This got the attention of many other shoppers, who both congratulated and criticised the bargain hunter.
Would you have done the same if you were in the shopper’s situation? Share with us your thoughts in the comments section!

Would have been nice if this find could have been shared among other shoppers rather than one person scoring the lot.

Precisely. At a time when many are struggling, maybe take two or three packs. Leave some for another shopper. 🙂

So long as it's not going to waste I can't see a problem with taking the lot, especially if she is going to spread it between family and friends. I would be really chuffed if a friend thought of me when they came across such a good bargain. :)