‘Outrageous!’ Why a $2.50 fee is making Telstra customers furious

We know that loyalty has its rewards, and when it comes to bills, being a loyal customer should be rewarded rather than penalised.

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case for one Telstra customer, who recently went public with her frustration and anger over the company's latest fees when it comes to paying bills.

The story starts with a Telstra customer from Melbourne, who, after heading down to her local post office to pay her telecommunications bill, was taken aback at an unexpected cash payment fee.

It's no wonder that this $2.50 unpleasant surprise has sent waves of discontent throughout the loyal Telstra customer community, leaving them both stumped and furious.

compressed-fb.jpeg
A woman from Melbourne expressed her criticism regarding the $2.50 fee she encountered when paying her Telstra bill at an Australian post store. Source: Facebook

The Melbourne customer took to Facebook to vent her frustration, addressing her post to the aptly-titled 'Call-Out Cashless Businesses' group.

'Have to pay $2.50 extra with Telstra because I pay cash at the post office.' she penned online, with a tone of disbelief that has echoed across the nation. 'I’ve not been charged this fee before'.

Similar discontentment is brewing among various Telstra patrons who have paid their bills in-store for many years, be it through cash or card.

It's a bitter pill to swallow but apparently the $2.50 fee is here to stay!

Starting from May 20, Telstra has increased the fee for paying bills in physical stores from $1 to $2.50. Additionally, customers will incur an extra charge of $2.20 for Telstra's issuance of a paper bill.

A Telstra spokeswoman shared, ‘We provide a range of options for customers when paying their bills so they can choose what is right for them. Like a lot of utilities, one option is over the counter at Australia Post.’

They went on to add, ‘When this occurs, Australia Post charges the utility for processing the payment and it is common for companies to pass this onto the customer. The rate we charge our customers is still lower than what we get charged to accept these payments.’

Approximately 65 per cent of customers, consisting of various groups, will be exempted from the fee for paper bills and non-electronic payments.

compressed-Telstra-International.jpeg
Like many other businesses, Telstra encourages customers to opt for electronic payment methods when settling their bills. Source: Telstra International

They stated, ‘You can apply for an exemption if you have a valid Health Care, Pension Concession or Department of Veterans Affairs Card if you don’t have an email address, access to an active internet service or customers living in remote communities including those that are First Nations communities.’

To request an exemption, customers need to provide Telstra with the necessary details of their Australian Government Pension or Health Care Card, either by phone or in-store, if these details have not been previously registered with Telstra.

For those looking to dodge this new fee, Telstra suggests switching to an electronic mode of payment.

'Electronic options are our preferred billing and payment methods which is in step with global and local trends in billing and payments across a range of utilities, telcos and service providers.' the Telstra spokeswoman clarified.

But let's not forget that not everyone is ready to ride the 'cashless wave'.

According to a recent Reserve Bank of Australia survey, 4.5 per cent of Australia still prefers to pay with cash.

The main reasons are privacy and security concerns—reasonable in this era of cyber threats!

Key Takeaways
  • A Melbourne woman has expressed outrage over Telstra's $2.50 fee for paying her bill in cash at the post office.
  • Telstra has recently increased its fee for paying bills in physical stores from $1 to $2.50, in addition to a $2.20 charge for issuing paper bills.
  • Certain groups, including pension concession cardholders, those without internet service, and residents of remote communities, can apply for an exemption from these fees.
  • According to a 2022 survey, 4.5 per cent of Australians still pay cash for transactions, largely due to privacy and security concerns. The Telstra spokesperson suggested switching to electronic bill payments to avoid processing fees.

What are your thoughts on Telstra's decision to introduce a $2.50 fee for customers who pay their bills in cash? Do you believe it is fair or unfair? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below!

Sponsored
We do the right things by paying our bills then we get penalised. Okay I will be presenting my pension number to my provider to get this silly fee removed. Again you can't tell me it takes a machine $2.50 worth to print and post my bill to me,maybe I'm wrong and it does. I do most things online but with some I'm more comfortable paying with cash. Guess I've been doing it that way for over 50 years and some habits just stick 😀

We know that loyalty has its rewards, and when it comes to bills, being a loyal customer should be rewarded rather than penalised.

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case for one Telstra customer, who recently went public with her frustration and anger over the company's latest fees when it comes to paying bills.

The story starts with a Telstra customer from Melbourne, who, after heading down to her local post office to pay her telecommunications bill, was taken aback at an unexpected cash payment fee.

It's no wonder that this $2.50 unpleasant surprise has sent waves of discontent throughout the loyal Telstra customer community, leaving them both stumped and furious.

View attachment 25500
A woman from Melbourne expressed her criticism regarding the $2.50 fee she encountered when paying her Telstra bill at an Australian post store. Source: Facebook

The Melbourne customer took to Facebook to vent her frustration, addressing her post to the aptly-titled 'Call-Out Cashless Businesses' group.

'Have to pay $2.50 extra with Telstra because I pay cash at the post office.' she penned online, with a tone of disbelief that has echoed across the nation. 'I’ve not been charged this fee before'.

Similar discontentment is brewing among various Telstra patrons who have paid their bills in-store for many years, be it through cash or card.

Starting from May 20, Telstra has increased the fee for paying bills in physical stores from $1 to $2.50. Additionally, customers will incur an extra charge of $2.20 for Telstra's issuance of a paper bill.

A Telstra spokeswoman shared, ‘We provide a range of options for customers when paying their bills so they can choose what is right for them. Like a lot of utilities, one option is over the counter at Australia Post.’

They went on to add, ‘When this occurs, Australia Post charges the utility for processing the payment and it is common for companies to pass this onto the customer. The rate we charge our customers is still lower than what we get charged to accept these payments.’

Approximately 65 per cent of customers, consisting of various groups, will be exempted from the fee for paper bills and non-electronic payments.

View attachment 25501
Like many other businesses, Telstra encourages customers to opt for electronic payment methods when settling their bills. Source: Telstra International

They stated, ‘You can apply for an exemption if you have a valid Health Care, Pension Concession or Department of Veterans Affairs Card if you don’t have an email address, access to an active internet service or customers living in remote communities including those that are First Nations communities.’

To request an exemption, customers need to provide Telstra with the necessary details of their Australian Government Pension or Health Care Card, either by phone or in-store, if these details have not been previously registered with Telstra.

For those looking to dodge this new fee, Telstra suggests switching to an electronic mode of payment.

'Electronic options are our preferred billing and payment methods which is in step with global and local trends in billing and payments across a range of utilities, telcos and service providers.' the Telstra spokeswoman clarified.

According to a recent Reserve Bank of Australia survey, 4.5 per cent of Australia still prefers to pay with cash.

The main reasons are privacy and security concerns—reasonable in this era of cyber threats!

Key Takeaways

• A Melbourne woman has expressed outrage over Telstra's $2.50 fee for paying her bill in cash at the post office.
  • Telstra has recently increased its fee for paying bills in physical stores from $1 to $2.50, in addition to a $2.20 charge for issuing paper bills.
  • Certain groups, including pension concession cardholders, those without internet service, and residents of remote communities, can apply for an exemption from these fees.
  • According to a 2022 survey, 4.5 per cent of Australians still pay cash for transactions, largely due to privacy and security concerns. The Telstra spokesperson suggested switching to electronic bill payments to avoid processing fees.

What are your thoughts on Telstra's decision to introduce a $2.50 fee for customers who pay their bills in cash? Do you believe it is fair or unfair? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below!
I remember the days when you could get a discount for paying with cash, it certainly shouldn't be penalised now!

I'm going out on a limb, the Post Office doesn't do it for nothing, so guess the 'convenience' factor is to encourage you to pay directly via a website. If you receive a paper copy of the bill, the fee has been applied for a couple of years. Just get into the modern world and pay online or use bpay. Aldi, a retailer that gets so much publicity on this site, charges if you pay with a card. Don't think I've ever seen that highlighted here.

We do the right things by paying our bills then we get penalised. Okay I will be presenting my pension number to my provider to get this silly fee removed. Again you can't tell me it takes a machine $2.50 worth to print and post my bill to me,maybe I'm wrong and it does. I do most things online but with some I'm more comfortable paying with cash. Guess I've been doing it that way for over 50 years and some habits just stick 😀
Yes, I agree, it does take that $2.50 to post your bill to you - have you looked at the cost of a local stamp lately? But I also agree that there are a lot of older people who are more comfortable paying in cash; technology has gone ahead too fast for them to catch up and be comfortable using it. If Telstra is happy getting Australia Post to accept payment on their behalf, then they should wear the cost of that service, not the customer.

View attachment 25500

View attachment 25501

Key Takeaways

Hi Folks, about time all the banking outlets around Australia, paid for these fees. None of them encourage you to use cash anymore. Even paying by credit card over the phone quite often gains the same so called "Non Electronic Payment Fee!"
Cut the crap and start spending your Billion dollar profits, banks are no longer trustworthy, just legal thieves!

View attachment 25500

View attachment 25501

Key Takeaways

Telstra at it finest bloody parasites, bloody rip off, not all people are tech savvy I for one and this cashless society bullshit people don't understand that when and if it comes in they the companies,banks etc hold the strings and you puppets will be under their control 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

I was with Telstra for several years but I will never have anything to do with them again.
I had my account set up for direct debit each month sometimes the payment was not going through so Telstra cuts my internet off in the middle of the night without notice needless to say I am not happy.
I call the local Telstra shop no answer each time so I have to drive 60km when I get to the Telstra shop I am asked if I have a appointment I said no because nobody answers your phone after a short period of silence I am asked why I have come to the Telstra shop I said to pay the account that is set yp for direct debit but did not go through and I was cut off during the night.
So he said go to the counter and pay the account.
This was happening several times over a year so when I was cut off I contacted a different provider and changed one of the best decisions I have ever made I have never had a problem since I changed carriers to Aussie Broadband they even do all the upgrades from their end they send out a email stating that I will be of line for a short period while they do upgrades on my modem,
I am very pleased with Aussie Broadband I have not lost internet access since I changed to them.

Had the same problem with Telstra not doing direct debits, as requested, then cutting me off so I went in to my local store and told them if it happened again I would not be staying with them and it has never happened again. Get better signal with Telstra than I was getting with Optus who I paid for 2-3 years and had to go outside my house every time to get a signal. Then Optus told me 'here must be something blocking the signals' but they still kept taking my money, so I changed.

• Haha
Reactions: saundy and Trudi

View attachment 25500

View attachment 25501

Key Takeaways

The big push for cashless societies , wef/nwo is to blame. Our governments are not here for Us , they're here for wef and themselves.

• Haha
Reactions: Trudi
I was with Telstra for several years but I will never have anything to do with them again.
I had my account set up for direct debit each month sometimes the payment was not going through so Telstra cuts my internet off in the middle of the night without notice needless to say I am not happy.
I call the local Telstra shop no answer each time so I have to drive 60km when I get to the Telstra shop I am asked if I have a appointment I said no because nobody answers your phone after a short period of silence I am asked why I have come to the Telstra shop I said to pay the account that is set yp for direct debit but did not go through and I was cut off during the night.
So he said go to the counter and pay the account.
This was happening several times over a year so when I was cut off I contacted a different provider and changed one of the best decisions I have ever made I have never had a problem since I changed carriers to Aussie Broadband they even do all the upgrades from their end they send out a email stating that I will be of line for a short period while they do upgrades on my modem,
I am very pleased with Aussie Broadband I have not lost internet access since I changed to them.
Thankyou for writing your reply - i also am not happy with Telstra (who don't give a damm about there customers-no matter how long you have been with them) but was not sure who to change to: so that there is no disruption to my internet access, but more so with my phone as they are both on the one account - which is now costing me $87 per month, costs put up without me having a choice to say yes to this different plan! - i will give Aussie a call! The fact that you had to drive all that way only to be asked, "why did you come to Telstra today" - they do not answer the phone, you are correct - nor do they offer any apology for what you have been thru over the year with your Telstra service-and the fact that you had to drive to see them-they have no face to face customer service skills!

• Haha
Reactions: saundy and Trudi
I'm going out on a limb, the Post Office doesn't do it for nothing, so guess the 'convenience' factor is to encourage you to pay directly via a website. If you receive a paper copy of the bill, the fee has been applied for a couple of years. Just get into the modern world and pay online or use bpay. Aldi, a retailer that gets so much publicity on this site, charges if you pay with a card. Don't think I've ever seen that highlighted here.
I haven’t seen it online as I knew about it I made a habit of paying cash until one day I didn’t have enough cash to pay for the item, and yes I was charged even though my card wasn’t a credit cardAldi had thei money immediatel. Needless to say i don’t shop at Aldi anymore.

I haven’t seen it online as I knew about it I made a habit of paying cash until one day I didn’t have enough cash to pay for the item, and yes I was charged even though my card wasn’t a credit cardAldi had thei money immediatel. Needless to say i don’t shop at Aldi anymore.
If you SWIPE your credit or debit card, it is treated as a credit card transaction.

You need to INSERT your card and select SAVINGS in order to avoid the fee!

As a regular Aldi shopper, I can assure you that I ALWAYS use my card and NEVER pay extra!

Reactions: Liz
Instead of blaming Telstra for passing on the cost charged by Australia Post, change your method of paying your bills!

I absolutely detest standing in my local post office waiting to purchase some postage stamps, when there are people taking forever paying their bills with cash over the counter! I access my bank account on my computer in the comfort of my home to pay ALL of my bills electronically and have done so for close to 20 years.

View attachment 25500

View attachment 25501

Key Takeaways

We should all go back to writing cheques for the stated amount, then posting them for someone to process in office. And request a receipt be posted back! I hate Telstra and will never ever go back to them