‘Not complicated to use’: Shopper shares sentiments on self-service checkouts

The advent of self-service checkouts in supermarkets has been a game-changer for many shoppers, offering a quick and convenient way to breeze through grocery shopping.

However, for some Australians, these machines have become a source of frustration and confusion.

A recent online debate has shed light on the struggles some people face with these checkouts, sparking a discussion on whether the problem lies with the user or the technology itself.

The debate was ignited by a shopper who expressed his bafflement on social media, saying he ‘can’t imagine’ why so many people struggle with self-service checkouts.

He argued that the system is ‘not a super complicated thing to use’ and suggested that those encountering issues are ‘just doing something wrong’.

compressed-shutterstock_2248385431.jpeg
A man shared online his confusion as to why people are having problems with self-service checkouts. Credit: Shutterstock

‘I know I'm beating a dead horse with this subject, but do people REALLY have trouble at self-service checkouts?’ the shopper asked online.

‘I'm not even sure when the last time I had an issue with this was, and the scarce few times I can recall having a problem (in the distant past when I first started using them) was when I was doing genuinely silly stuff, like brain-farting and not weighing my fruit.’

The man said he’s been using self-service checkouts ‘almost daily’, and he found scanning or weighing an item and putting it in the bagging area relatively easy.

‘Some people make it sound like they're just constantly throwing errors at them. I can't help but assume it's user error, but at the same time, I can't even imagine what that might be (it's not a super complicated thing to use),' he said.

'I'm borderline fascinated by this subject whenever it comes up and would love to observe someone who struggles with these using one so I can just see what's actually happening.'

'Like when my grandma thinks her phone is broken, but she's actually just muted it,' the shopper jokingly said.

His comments sparked a flurry of responses, with many people sharing their experiences and perspectives.

While some agreed with the shopper, stating that they find self-service checkouts efficient and easy to use, others were quick to voice their frustrations.

Common complaints included the machines being ‘slow’ and ‘glitchy’, often not detecting items in the bagging area, and being overly sensitive to the weight of items.

Some users also reported being frequently accused of shoplifting by the system, leading to embarrassing and time-consuming interventions by store staff.

The debate also touched on the new anti-theft technology installed in many supermarkets.

While these measures are designed to prevent shoplifting, some shoppers argue that they make the self-service checkout process more complicated and time-consuming.

compressed-shutterstock_1503232544.jpeg
Most shoppers find self-service checkouts problematic for being ‘slow’ and ‘glitchy’. Credit: Shutterstock

For instance, one shopper shared her experience, saying: ‘'The last time I used it, the new anti-theft software stopped me three times and would not let me continue until the checkout chick confirmed that I had really scanned my stuff correctly...it added another 15 minutes to my shop.'

'Most of the issues with self-service stem from anti-theft measures. Overly sensitive scales, not giving customers the ability to fix mistakes by taking things off, etc,' another claimed.

'When my toddler is sitting in the trolley seat, the camera is convinced he's an unscanned item and won't let me proceed without a staff member,' a mum said.

Others also slammed the registers, with some saying they refused to use them.

'I have never, and I mean never, had a shop where at least one person at self-service has not had a problem which sucks,' one user said.

'The computer always has a problem with something and needs approval. They're painfully slow,' a second added.

'The machine doesn't trust you and asks the staff member to confirm that you have bags/fruit/lightweight items, and by the time you wait for them to be free, wave them down, get the machine unlocked and go back to scanning three or four times in one session, it really does start to feel like a lot bigger hassle than a regular checkout,' a third replied.

However, many said they rarely encounter issues with self-service checkouts, which has become a prevalent problem in most Australian supermarkets.

A social media poll revealed that more than 5,400 Aussies are in favour of stores removing their self-service checkouts, compared to 840 people who wanted these to stay.

'Having worked on checkouts for years (prior to self-service being installed), I almost never have an issue unless I'm getting something that weighs next to nothing (like a card),' one replied.

'I love them. It's way faster, regardless of the quantity of groceries. I hate going to the checkout and waiting, waiting, waiting. I don't have issues regardless of whether it's Woolies, BIG W or Coles. I dread the day they are killed off,' another commented.

'People just like to whinge. If they took away the self-service checkouts, there would be just as much complaining. You can't please everyone,' a third added.
Key Takeaways
  • A shopper expressed confusion over Australians' difficulties with self-service checkouts, sparking debate online.
  • Critics argue that self-service machines can be slow, glitchy, and prone to false accusations of shoplifting.
  • Proponents find self-service checkouts faster and more convenient than traditional checkouts.
  • The discourse extended to introducing new anti-theft technologies, which some claimed increased shopping time.
What's your take on self-service checkouts? Do you find them convenient or confusing? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
I don't use them either, but they don't loose people their jobs.
Since the pandemic businesses have been struggling to get enough staff.
I have a Coles, Woolworths and Aldi where I shop, all of them are advertising for staff.
A lot of the staff have also been taken up doing online orders.
Online pickers are always looking for more staff too. People are not losing their jobs, there's just not enough people that want to do those jobs.

On topic but slight diversion, Peter Dutton wants us to boycott woollies, I gotta say it's the first time I've ever agreed with him, but I worry that his spin doctors have told him that to get votes, afterall he needs something to get the votes, will he be another Italian like P.M. SHE SAID ALL THE RIGHT THINGS TO GET IN BUT BUCKLED WHEN SHE WON. THEY ALL LIE THRU THEIR TEETH.

Online pickers are always looking for more staff too. People are not losing their jobs, there's just not enough people that want to do those jobs.
That's why we brought in so many refugees, but they seem happy on welfare so let's not push them, afterall they've never paid tax why start now.

The advent of self-service checkouts in supermarkets has been a game-changer for many shoppers, offering a quick and convenient way to breeze through grocery shopping.

However, for some Australians, these machines have become a source of frustration and confusion.

A recent online debate has shed light on the struggles some people face with these checkouts, sparking a discussion on whether the problem lies with the user or the technology itself.

The debate was ignited by a shopper who expressed his bafflement on social media, saying he ‘can’t imagine’ why so many people struggle with self-service checkouts.

He argued that the system is ‘not a super complicated thing to use’ and suggested that those encountering issues are ‘just doing something wrong’.

View attachment 39393
A man shared online his confusion as to why people are having problems with self-service checkouts. Credit: Shutterstock

‘I know I'm beating a dead horse with this subject, but do people REALLY have trouble at self-service checkouts?’ the shopper asked online.

‘I'm not even sure when the last time I had an issue with this was, and the scarce few times I can recall having a problem (in the distant past when I first started using them) was when I was doing genuinely silly stuff, like brain-farting and not weighing my fruit.’

The man said he’s been using self-service checkouts ‘almost daily’, and he found scanning or weighing an item and putting it in the bagging area relatively easy.

‘Some people make it sound like they're just constantly throwing errors at them. I can't help but assume it's user error, but at the same time, I can't even imagine what that might be (it's not a super complicated thing to use),' he said.

'I'm borderline fascinated by this subject whenever it comes up and would love to observe someone who struggles with these using one so I can just see what's actually happening.'

'Like when my grandma thinks her phone is broken, but she's actually just muted it,' the shopper jokingly said.

His comments sparked a flurry of responses, with many people sharing their experiences and perspectives.

While some agreed with the shopper, stating that they find self-service checkouts efficient and easy to use, others were quick to voice their frustrations.

Common complaints included the machines being ‘slow’ and ‘glitchy’, often not detecting items in the bagging area, and being overly sensitive to the weight of items.

Some users also reported being frequently accused of shoplifting by the system, leading to embarrassing and time-consuming interventions by store staff.

The debate also touched on the new anti-theft technology installed in many supermarkets.

While these measures are designed to prevent shoplifting, some shoppers argue that they make the self-service checkout process more complicated and time-consuming.

View attachment 39392
Most shoppers find self-service checkouts problematic for being ‘slow’ and ‘glitchy’. Credit: Shutterstock

For instance, one shopper shared her experience, saying: ‘'The last time I used it, the new anti-theft software stopped me three times and would not let me continue until the checkout chick confirmed that I had really scanned my stuff correctly...it added another 15 minutes to my shop.'

'Most of the issues with self-service stem from anti-theft measures. Overly sensitive scales, not giving customers the ability to fix mistakes by taking things off, etc,' another claimed.

'When my toddler is sitting in the trolley seat, the camera is convinced he's an unscanned item and won't let me proceed without a staff member,' a mum said.

'I have never, and I mean never, had a shop where at least one person at self-service has not had a problem which sucks,' one user said.

'The computer always has a problem with something and needs approval. They're painfully slow,' a second added.

'The machine doesn't trust you and asks the staff member to confirm that you have bags/fruit/lightweight items, and by the time you wait for them to be free, wave them down, get the machine unlocked and go back to scanning three or four times in one session, it really does start to feel like a lot bigger hassle than a regular checkout,' a third replied.

However, many said they rarely encounter issues with self-service checkouts, which has become a prevalent problem in most Australian supermarkets.

A social media poll revealed that more than 5,400 Aussies are in favour of stores removing their self-service checkouts, compared to 840 people who wanted these to stay.

'Having worked on checkouts for years (prior to self-service being installed), I almost never have an issue unless I'm getting something that weighs next to nothing (like a card),' one replied.

'I love them. It's way faster, regardless of the quantity of groceries. I hate going to the checkout and waiting, waiting, waiting. I don't have issues regardless of whether it's Woolies, BIG W or Coles. I dread the day they are killed off,' another commented.

'People just like to whinge. If they took away the self-service checkouts, there would be just as much complaining. You can't please everyone,' a third added.
Key Takeaways

• A shopper expressed confusion over Australians' difficulties with self-service checkouts, sparking debate online.
  • Critics argue that self-service machines can be slow, glitchy, and prone to false accusations of shoplifting.
  • Proponents find self-service checkouts faster and more convenient than traditional checkouts.
  • The discourse extended to introducing new anti-theft technologies, which some claimed increased shopping time.
What's your take on self-service checkouts? Do you find them convenient or confusing? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.
Every time I have used them, it's the self-service checkout problem, not me, so now I will never use them. But others find then great, then use them but don't tell me it my problem or something I did.

Reactions: Robbo3006
People are too picky and choosy.
I don't know why we continue to pay unemployment benefits to people who have no skills but think they are too good to do these jobs.
When I was young I was working as a private secretary. My husband was a heavy drinker and gambler and we were getting nowhere saving.
I lined up a 3 month job, thru a friend, picking tomatoes. I paid up all expenses such as HBF,.life insurance etc.for three months and had enough funds for living expenses. I told the guy we were working for that we didn't want to be paid until the contract was up and under no circumstances was he to give any money to my husband.
We were the only people who lasted the whole three months. At the end we had a deposit for our first home and I made sure we bought one straight away before my husband could blow the money.
Anybody should be prepared to do any job as long as they are earning an honest living and not bludging off the taxpayers.
I must admit my mother was horrified that I had been put through business college and I was picking tomatoes LOL
Bonus, after the three months was up my old boss gave me my job back, with a rise, as he wasn't happy with his new secretary.
Win/Win all round.

Reactions: Wendy

View attachment 39393

View attachment 39392

Key Takeaways

I won't use self-service outlets because I believe there are people who could use the jobs which these actions have taken over.

In some stores, there are no manned checkouts now.

In others, there may be one or two (most often one) who is also manning the Customer Service Counter/Smoke Shop.

Waiting for this one person can be frustrating in our time poor world.

I waited 10 minutes for information on an item because the one operative had 10 people in the line and 2 at the store front counter waiting and me waiting at the inside counter the last time I shopped.

Don't live under the misapprehension that the store with the one human operative is happy about this.

Store management will at some point in time be tasked with making this position redundant.

How?

Even now, the maintaining of only one staff member in this position is a planned strategy to frustrate people into using the self serve checkouts.

Next time you're in your local store, focus on the line up at the manned checkout and see how many people opt for self serve because the line is long with only one staff member serving.

Management are and will be counting and creating stats too.

Over time, the stats that are a product of planned limited Customer service will be used to justify the removal of the one last human checkout operator.

CLEVER HUH?

THIS IS WHAT THE BIG BANKS HAVE BEEN DOING SINCE THE EARLY1980s with the introduction of ATMs.

Self serve checkout arguments about difficulty or ease of use are a smokescreen.

The problem is the gradual depletion of jobs. When everyone is using the self serve, the store doesn't need staff in Customer Service positions (or if humans are needed, then the store will maintain a skeleton staff).

So do you call that REAL CHOICE?
So, why aren't we all ganging up and waiting at the manned checkout.?
Oh, that's right, we are in a hurry.🕰️

I really don't mind the self service check outs. You can at least pack your groceries exactly how you want to unpack them at home. EG; I have an upstairs fridge, a downstairs fridge and a downstairs freezer. I pack my goods according to what fridge/freezer I am going to put them in and what goes in the pantry. Not that hard really.
I think I was in the queue behind you Terry :D

I am not a fan of self service check outs but due to there usually only being 2 staffed check outs with long queues there isn’t much option. Coles is worse than our local Woolies but I am less inclined to shop there due to their “woke” policies. The self service check outs are slow at times and glitchy, and I resent the fact that the retailers are using you to cut staff numbers, we will get to the stage where no one will have a job.

Woke, Oxford dictionary definition: "aware of social and political issues, especially racism".
What is the problem with that? I don't understand.

I won't use self-service outlets because I believe there are people who could use the jobs which these actions have taken over.
So why are people not applying for the jobs ? because they don't want those jobs.

So, why aren't we all ganging up and waiting at the manned checkout.?
Oh, that's right, we are in a hurry.🕰️
I'm not in a hurry, I wait. Also if they have no manned checkouts, I don't shop there, Blackrock owns woollies and they're a big sponsor of Cricket, now cricket Australia is not having an Australia Day cricket game, politics, wef and unelected fukn dictators should stay out of sport, I, for one, will never shop at woollies again. Let's boycott them, they think they can do without our money and tell us what to do.

View attachment 39393

View attachment 39392

Key Takeaways

When using the self-serve checkouts you need to be careful as they quite often double scan the item, particularly fruit and veg. If you put it on the scale and select the correct item which is then added to your shopping list, as you take it off the scale it will scan again and want the item put back on the scale. When I queried this with the Coles attendant, she said it often happens with this machine. However, I have had it happen in different stores. You then have to wait for the attendant to come to you and reverse the extra charge. Some people may not take notice and just rescan/reweigh getting charged twice for the item. In these challenging times we need to be sure we are paying for what we get. I prefer the normal checkouts over the self-serve but have used the self-serve when in a hurry and only a few items.

I'm not in a hurry, I wait. Also if they have no manned checkouts, I don't shop there, Blackrock owns woollies and they're a big sponsor of Cricket, now cricket Australia is not having an Australia Day cricket game, politics, wef and unelected fukn dictators should stay out of sport, I, for one, will never shop at woollies again. Let's boycott them, they think they can do without our money and tell us what to do.
On Australia Day, go to Woolies with Australia Day Shirt, hat thongs, whatever and walk around for a while. Wear your Aussies hats to the cricket. Push back gently. 🇦🇺

View attachment 39393

View attachment 39392

Key Takeaways

I find them annoying. I have to take my docket back as I have been charged twice for the same item. also I do not like that the screen now includes your photo while using them. Also, we pay enough for our Groceries, yet now have to Serve Our Selves. They annoying and frustrating.

I don't use them either, but they don't loose people their jobs.
Since the pandemic businesses have been struggling to get enough staff.
I have a Coles, Woolworths and Aldi where I shop, all of them are advertising for staff.
A lot of the staff have also been taken up doing online orders.
If you had 6 serviced checkouts with 6 paid staff operating them then you removed 5 and replaced them with 5 self service checkouts being overseen by one staff member what happens to the other 5 staff members? They lose their jobs!

If you had 6 serviced checkouts with 6 paid staff operating them then you removed 5 and replaced them with 5 self service checkouts being overseen by one staff member what happens to the other 5 staff members? They lose their jobs!
They need more staff for online orders than the ones that have been removed from manned checkouts .
Nobody has been dismissed and, as I said, they are still trying to recruit more staff.
There are more jobs available than people to fill them. Or perhaps I should correct that. There are more jobs available than people WILLING
to fill them.
Too many people would rather sit on the dole than take what they consider menial jobs, that are below them. Even though a lot of them don't even have enough qualifications to get a job cleaning toilets.

No, they are roaming around with their heads in their online orders, pushing trolleys, they can't see over, into the customers.

Reactions: mylittletibbies
Woke, Oxford dictionary definition: "aware of social and political issues, especially racism".
What is the problem with that? I don't understand.
I still don't get it .. when I learned the English language "woke" was used like " I woke up about 2am". Now these clowns change meanings to suit themselves; there is another word, "bespoke" which I looked up and found it was last used by WILLIAM SHAKESPEAR. Any wonder this world is a mess.