‘It’s heartbreaking’: Residents demand immediate action as crime skyrockets in this area

In the quiet border town of Goondiwindi, a sense of unease has replaced the once-peaceful atmosphere.

The community, home to nearly 6,000 people, is grappling with a surge in youth crime that has left residents on edge and calling for urgent intervention.

‘I get home from work at night, and my eight-year-old wakes up terrified because she thinks someone's breaking in. It's heartbreaking,’ resident Marlana Bishop said.

In just one week, Goondiwindi has witnessed two violent break-ins, with homes vandalised and vehicles stolen.

Screenshot 2024-08-20 at 9.27.53 AM.png
Residents of Goondiwindi are calling for immediate action as youth crimes skyrocket. Credit: 9 News Australia / YouTube

An elderly woman was knocked down as thieves took her keys and car, and a teacher was brutally attacked with a baton and machetes while trying to defend himself.

The aftermath is a chilling sight: a collection of destroyed stolen vehicles and burnt-down houses, all attributed to teen criminals.

The proximity to the New South Wales border adds a layer of complexity to the issue. Once offenders cross into NSW, Queensland police have limited authority to pursue or apprehend the culprits.

This jurisdictional loophole has emboldened offenders and frustrated law enforcement efforts, leaving residents like Garry Roberts to lament, 'They've wrecked the town completely.'

The community's outcry reached a crescendo when 150 locals gathered in a park to share their harrowing experiences.

Among them was Graham Smith, who recounted a brutal home invasion where he was beaten with golf clubs.

‘One picked up a chair, like a big dining room chair and cracked that over me,’ he said.

'In the middle of it, I thought I was done, to be honest.’

Young mother Sarah Jane Morris shared a particularly heart-wrenching story of her miscarriage.

‘Due to having our car stolen and the stress of that, I miscarried,’ she said.

The residents are not only seeking justice but also preventative measures.

They urge the premiers of both Queensland and New South Wales to witness the devastation firsthand and to understand the urgency of their plight.

‘Come to this town, go for a drive down just over the border, go and see how many burnt cars there are,’ Bishop said.

Queensland Premier Steven Miles said he was ‘aware of escalating crime'.

‘I understand the police are responding. They've deployed additional police,’ he said.

You can watch 9 News Australia’s coverage below:

Credit: 9 News Australia / YouTube

Key Takeaways
  • Residents of Goondiwindi are calling for action due to a rise in youth crime that has left the community living in fear.
  • The recent crime spree includes violent break-ins, theft of vehicles, and assaults on locals.
  • The town’s location near the New South Wales border complicated police efforts to manage the crime wave.
  • Locals are urging the premiers of Queensland and New South Wales to visit the town and witness the impact of the ongoing criminal activities firsthand.
Have you noticed an increase in crime in your area? What actions do you think should be taken to ensure the safety of our communities? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
Afraid society is to blame, the law makers have destroyed what control parents, teachers, police etc had in the rearing of their children.
There is no respect for anyone, no Rules anymore and if anything happens, it’s always someone else’s fault.
Absolutely no responsibility for one’s self and when these out of control kids/teenagers start running amok, no one stands up to them, instead start bleating that the Government has to do something .
I do not think that anything will change, same as on the Gold Coast because IF the police do their job, the Magistrates and Courts throw it out, they are back out on the streets with “good” Behaviour Bonds which aren’t worth the paper they are written on.
And of course, Mental Health Problems for every single crime and used for all reasons now.
Common Sense is really dead and buried as also taking the blame for ones own judgements.

It is my belief that the upserge in violent crime by young people is cause by the very lack of disapline in homes and schools over the last 10 to 20 years. Parents are not aloud to smack their children and schools are not allow to use the cane and this.has allowed children and teenagers to flaunt the system as they grow knowing that the punishment will be just go to your room denied something they will end up getting later or detention at school which they end up not attending anyway. I grew up with those in place along with my own children
and their children during the very important growing periods.which is between birth and 7 years. Children learn what is acceptable and what is not in that period and learn to push their boundaries to the limit and if there is no limit shown then they will do what they want knowing they will get away with it.

Years ago we had a horrid little group, doing all sorts of terrible . One day in the main street a car with 3 older boys ran down 4 of them on crossing. A street full of people said they seen nothing. Non were hurt to bad but it sent a message. Not as much happened . The ring leader was arrested ( they had lots of witnesses) and sent away. It dwindled down, every few years a new little want to be's start up.

These low-lifes are laughing at the law and they're not a bit frightened of any harsh penalties as they know the magistrates will give a slap on the wrist and say don't do it again.
When are parents going to be made responsible for what these young thugs are doing? They're ruining peoples lives and any respect for older people has gone out the window. It's time the laws were changed and these thugs made to pay for what's happening in most areas of Queensland, people are living in fear
because no one will stand up to them.
🥺😡

I moved to Australia from London 35years ago. Australia, “a country” not this state & that state with each having their own set of laws. I will never understand how police from one state serving in “Australia” have little or no jurisdiction in another. This is one country, laws should be the same for everyone & it’s about time the government made it so. When our police force do their jobs & put these juveniles before the courts, there should be a law that judges have to abide by that a first offence, depending on the seriousness, you may get bail but after that a minimum 2 month lock up. These little b……s are ruining peoples lives & this country & the government don’t care because they don’t have to live with it, they have security. People will take things into their own hands before long if the government doesn’t act now. 😡

These low-lifes are laughing at the law and they're not a bit frightened of any harsh penalties as they know the magistrates will give a slap on the wrist and say don't do it again.
When are parents going to be made responsible for what these young thugs are doing? They're ruining peoples lives and any respect for older people has gone out the window. It's time the laws were changed and these thugs made to pay for what's happening in most areas of Queensland, people are living in fear
because no one will stand up to them.
🥺😡
I agree, if they can’t put the kids in jail then start charging the parents. I know putting kids in custody is not ideal but something has to be done. Slap a bracelet on them and make them stay home till they are in court. Constantly bailing them because of their rights is just not working. What about everyone else’s right to be safe. It seems like being arrested and bailed is a badge of
honour or something

We need to implement real consequences for these types of crime and behaviour. Jail time or remand homes are necessary, or compulsory national service . As a society , we have allowed this situation to develop. It is time to reintroduce consequences and discipline in the home and school.

Police won't or can't do their job. So the residents form vigilante groups to combat youth crime. So what do the police do? Come down on the vigilante groups like a tonne of bricks, swiftly and effectively.

Poor wimpy policemen can't do the job they are trained and paid to do but don't like when somebody else takes over the reins. But they have no hesitation in asking the public "if you have seen such and such happen, contact Crimestoppers on 1800 333 000" The height of shriking a task!

Next stop is the judicial system which needs a good dose of starch.

How do we fix this problem? The law makes sure the little bas***ds get away with the crime. It's not the police as they spend all the time trying to get these little pr**ks off the street. It's the goody two shoes that have made this an epidemic. Just once it would be good to see the unruly youths do something wrong to a judge and the goody two shoes and or his/her family and I bet the time would fit the crime. No one want's to take responsibility so while that happens nothing will change.

We need to implement real consequences for these types of crime and behaviour. Jail time or remand homes are necessary, or compulsory national service . As a society , we have allowed this situation to develop. It is time to reintroduce consequences and discipline in the home and school.
l agree l think giving them time in one of the services is a good idea.My grandson joined the army and he said the discipline was really harsh so perhaps that might do the trick trouble is making it happen

I heard on the news today that the government are puttying one person in place to sort it, in Goodiwindi. That will
help NOT !”
Its a combination of what most have said above add to that too much screen time and playing violent games seems to have made for a lot anger. I blame the judges letting these kids get away with everything. A kid on the news this week was let off or given bail after a hit and run where a motorbike rider was killed.

Lock them up, Judges need to stop giving them bail, get tough, don't play the good guy, they are the perpetrators & the victims are the ones being punished. Get tough on the scum, lock them in a cell for a week, take their phones from them, no TV, but feed them just meat & veggies every night & lights out by 9.30pm

Lock them up, Judges need to stop giving them bail, get tough, don't play the good guy, they are the perpetrators & the victims are the ones being punished. Get tough on the scum, lock them in a cell for a week, take their phones from them, no TV, but feed them just meat & veggies every night & lights out by 9.30pm
Meat and veggies nah

Give the cur dogs a bone to gnaw on 👍

I heard on the news today that the government are puttying one person in place to sort it, in Goodiwindi. That will
help NOT !”
Its a combination of what most have said above add to that too much screen time and playing violent games seems to have made for a lot anger. I blame the judges letting these kids get away with everything. A kid on the news this week was let off or given bail after a hit and run where a motorbike rider was killed.
Agree with getting rid of violent games, some ads about them are revolting

try giving out HEAVY penalties juvenile detention is just a "badge of honour) and just creates ring leaders to corrupt younger juveniles (role models)
this may sound stupid but if we could find a way to ban these offenders from owning a MOBILE PHONE (standard basic status symbol). is is surprising the power that a mobile has...we need to understand the massive power that a mobile phone has to a teenager

The United Nations stopped parents, thru Govt. , of smacking their kids. No corporal punishment, no sore bums, no shaming. Great we can do what ever we like because there is no real deterent. Singapore does not have the crime the Western Countries have, may be a bit harsh but the people know where they stand.