‘Gaslighting’ is the 2022 Word of the Year - what does it mean?

Have you ever had a friend who constantly points out that you’re wrong, even if you’re fairly certain you’re not?

Or a lover who would twist and spin things in ways that led you to question your thoughts — and even your sanity? Well, maybe not to that extreme but still!

Chances are, you’ve experienced gaslighting.

Don’t worry! If you’ve never heard of it, you're not alone.

This once-obscure word has suddenly shot to prominence in recent years, especially in 2020 and 2021.

And now, Merriam-Webster has chosen it as the 2022 Word of the Year.

The dictionary defines gaslighting as ‘the act of practice of grossly misleading someone especially for one’s own advantage’.

sjdvbjavf.png
Gaslighting is a manipulative way of exercising power over someone else. Credit: Pexels

Repeated gaslighting causes a person to eventually doubt their own perception of the world and leads to loss of confidence, confusion, and even emotional or mental instability.

It has gained notoriety as a weapon used by abusers in relationships who wish to exert their power over their partners by causing an unhealthy dependence.

Take note, ‘relationships’ in this context could mean family, friends, or casual acquaintances.

Despite its recent popularity, the first usage of the word was in 1938, in a play called Gas Light by Patrick Hamilton.

The play was adapted into movies twice in the 1940s, with one titled Gaslight starred in by Ingrid Bergman and Charles Boyer as the leads.

If the name hasn’t given the plot away yet, the story of the movie follows a wife’s experience with her manipulative husband’s actions, which have slowly stripped her of her confidence and worth.

Don’t worry, the wife eventually breaks free of her husband’s machinations, but not without many a tear shed.

Actress Angela Lansbury’s (also popular for Murder, She Wrote) death in October led to a spike in searches for this term

In Gaslight, she played as a young maid who was hired by the husband (Boyer) and told not to bother the ‘high-strung’ wife (Bergman).

Quite a history, right?

Source: YouTube/Rotten Tomatoes Classic Trailers

But what is it about the word that made it popular?

‘There is this implication of an intentional deception,’ said Merriam-Webster Editor-at-Large Peter Sokolowski.

'And once one is aware of that deception, it's not just a straightforward lie, as in, you know, I didn't eat the cookies in the cookie jar.

'It's something that has a little bit more devious quality to it. It has possibly an idea of strategy or a long-term plan.'

Sokolowski noted the term’s consistent popularity over the last four years which made it rank the highest in words looked up on their website.

‘It actually came as a surprise to me and to many of us. It was a word looked up frequently every single day of the year.’ he said.

One caveat to the rather concerning development (Are that many people being gaslit?) is it cannot be gleaned why users searched for gaslighting on Merriam-Webster’s website.

The Daily Mail notes that people may have simply searched the word to find out its proper use or spelling. (Which oddly sounds like gaslighting…)

We’d like to take this chance to stress: gaslighting can fall under emotional abuse.

If you or anyone you know need help with an abusive relationship, please call 1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732).

On another note, rounding out the top ten of Merriam-Webster’s Words of the Year:
  • Oligarch
  • Omicron
  • Codify
  • Queen Consort
  • Raid
  • Sentient
  • Cancel Culture
  • LGBTQIA (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex, Asexual)
  • Loamy
Last year’s winner was ‘vaccine’, in case you’re wondering.

So, what do you think of ‘gaslighting’ being Merriam-Webster’s Word of the Year? How would you handle things if you realised you were being gaslit?

Source: YouTube/MedCircle

Sponsored
It seems to me that Gaslighting is a forerunner to physical & mental abuse. Something I suffered in both my marriages. While the first husband never raised a hand to me the mental abuse made me so unsure of myself that it led me to find a lover, he became my second husband & was far worse than the first. The thing is the first time he hit me I left with my 15-year-old daughter. We managed on our own until my daughter got married. I am happily single again now & intend to stay that way.

• Sad
Reactions: JayKay and Gaena