‘Easter egg price gate’ – $120 Easter chocolate stuns shoppers

Easter is a time for indulgence and treating ourselves to a taste of chocolate luxury. In 2022, it was reported that over four million Australians planned to go on a holiday during this time, and it was estimated that $71 billion would be spent on trips. Meanwhile, around $1.5 billion was used to splurge on Easter food and chocolate.

But that was then. With the cost-of-living pressures on a continuous rise, we’re sure things are very different now for many.

And while a bit of indulgence isn’t a bad thing now and then, would you fork out money for these insanely priced Easter chocolates?

We know that the value of certain items can increase regarding themed holidays. Just take Valentine’s Day, for instance. If you’ve noticed, chocolate prices are usually higher around this time because of the demand.

And with Easter fast approaching, there’s no doubt that many also anticipate getting their hands on a couple of chocolate eggs to sweeten the holiday season.

But a wave of expensive chocolate appeared on supermarket shelves, shocking shoppers.

easter1.jpg
It’s getting more and more difficult to celebrate holidays. Credit: Karolina Grabowska/Pexels

It all started with a post on the social media forum Reddit. A user who was out grocery shopping excitedly stumbled upon the Cadbury Dairy Milk Chocolate Easter Egg on the shelves of their local store.

However, the high price of the chocolate left them stunned.

‘An unmissable Easter deal – welcome to the $20 egg,’ the shopper wrote in their post.

Hundreds of social media users flocked to the comments section to share their opinions over the insanely priced chocolate egg.

‘I actually checked. At Coles, a 360g bar of Cadbury Dairy Milk Chocolate is $6, 40 g more chocolate for triple the price?’ One wrote.

Someone responded under that comment, saying the chocolate eggs ‘tasted better’.

‘When I worked for Cadbury, they explained that Easter eggs [were made with] a higher sugar content because they need to keep a moulded shape compared to other bars/blocks. So perhaps there's a feeling that more sugar tastes better,’ one replied.

Another shared that since 80 per cent of our taste comes from smell, they believed that the ‘chocolate air’ within the egg helps produce the unique flavour.

One wrote: ‘It's always been a thing, maybe just not this bad.’

‘The first thing I thought was check grams. Then saw it’s cheaper to get four blocks of 160-180 grams flavoured blocks. Bloody ridiculous,’ another replied.

‘I hate this post-pandemic world,’ someone else shared.

One more added: ‘I remember 10 years ago, I asked for the 1kg egg as a joke, and it was $25 – and that felt like a stupidly expensive option. Lasted me about a month.’

easter2.jpg
Cadbury’s 400g chocolate egg costs $20. Credit: Reddit

This comes after reports that Cadbury has cut the size of some of its most popular Easter treats – however, the prices remained the same or have increased. According to some, this is the latest case of ‘shrinkflation’, or when products get smaller in weight, size, or quantity while the prices stay the same or increase.

Another social media user pointed out that the Lindt Gold Bunny Milk Chocolate (which weighs 1kg) costs a staggering $120 at BIG W.

‘No way! The Easter baskets I organised for my niece and nephew with Easter eggs, toys, and basket all up cost $70,’ one wrote.

Someone else responded: ‘You should see the panic in parents' faces, these eggs aren't out of reach, and the kids grab for them. They're big but hollow, I guess it's the Lindt name you're paying for.’

Another shared that while 1kg is a lot, the $120 price tag is just not worth it.

‘What are people on low incomes going to get their little ones? That’s awful.’

Someone said the best way to get a good deal from the enormous price jumps is to buy chocolates after the holiday. However, one pointed out that supermarkets will stop ordering stock weeks before Easter.

‘You’re lucky if you can find anything in the few days before Easter now,’ they added.

‘Easter is officially cancelled.’

easter3.jpg
$120 for chocolate is too much, wouldn’t you agree? Credit: BIG W

In a similar instance, one shopper also shared a photo on social media of the treats they found at their local Woolies store and complained about the unfair pricing of the product. ‘We've all felt the cost of living pressure, as well as the rental crisis, but how about the Easter egg price gate!?' They wrote in their post. You can read more details about this story here.
Key Takeaways
  • Some Easter eggs and chocolate items at grocery stores have stunned customers.
  • A Reddit user posted a photo of Cadbury’s 400g Dairy Milk Chocolate Easter Egg on sale for $20.
  • A 360g bar of Cadbury Dairy Milk chocolate retailed for $6, with one noting that adding 40g more chocolate for triple the price is too much.
  • A 1kg Lindt Gold Bunny Milk Chocolate was offered at BIG W supermarkets.
What do you think about these prices, members? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
Easter is a time for indulgence and treating ourselves to a taste of chocolate luxury. In 2022, it was reported that over four million Australians planned to go on a holiday during this time, and it was estimated that $71 billion would be spent on trips. Meanwhile, around $1.5 billion was used to splurge on Easter food and chocolate.

But that was then. With the cost-of-living pressures on a continuous rise, we’re sure things are very different now for many.

And while a bit of indulgence isn’t a bad thing now and then, would you fork out money for these insanely priced Easter chocolates?

We know that the value of certain items can increase regarding themed holidays. Just take Valentine’s Day, for instance. If you’ve noticed, chocolate prices are usually higher around this time because of the demand.

And with Easter fast approaching, there’s no doubt that many also anticipate getting their hands on a couple of chocolate eggs to sweeten the holiday season.

But a wave of expensive chocolate appeared on supermarket shelves, shocking shoppers.

View attachment 15699
It’s getting more and more difficult to celebrate holidays. Credit: Karolina Grabowska/Pexels

It all started with a post on the social media forum Reddit. A user who was out grocery shopping excitedly stumbled upon the Cadbury Dairy Milk Chocolate Easter Egg on the shelves of their local store.

‘An unmissable Easter deal – welcome to the $20 egg,’ the shopper wrote in their post.

Hundreds of social media users flocked to the comments section to share their opinions over the insanely priced chocolate egg.

‘I actually checked. At Coles, a 360g bar of Cadbury Dairy Milk Chocolate is $6, 40 g more chocolate for triple the price?’ One wrote.

Someone responded under that comment, saying the chocolate eggs ‘tasted better’.

‘When I worked for Cadbury, they explained that Easter eggs [were made with] a higher sugar content because they need to keep a moulded shape compared to other bars/blocks. So perhaps there's a feeling that more sugar tastes better,’ one replied.

Another shared that since 80 per cent of our taste comes from smell, they believed that the ‘chocolate air’ within the egg helps produce the unique flavour.

‘The first thing I thought was check grams. Then saw it’s cheaper to get four blocks of 160-180 grams flavoured blocks. Bloody ridiculous,’ another replied.

One more added: ‘I remember 10 years ago, I asked for the 1kg egg as a joke, and it was $25 – and that felt like a stupidly expensive option. Lasted me about a month.’

View attachment 15700

This comes after reports that Cadbury has cut the size of some of its most popular Easter treats – however, the prices remained the same or have increased. According to some, this is the latest case of ‘shrinkflation’, or when products get smaller in weight, size, or quantity while the prices stay the same or increase.

Another social media user pointed out that the Lindt Gold Bunny Milk Chocolate (which weighs 1kg) costs a staggering $120 at BIG W.

‘No way! The Easter baskets I organised for my niece and nephew with Easter eggs, toys, and basket all up cost $70,’ one wrote.

Someone else responded: ‘You should see the panic in parents' faces, these eggs aren't out of reach, and the kids grab for them. They're big but hollow, I guess it's the Lindt name you're paying for.’

Another shared that while 1kg is a lot, the $120 price tag is just not worth it.

Someone said the best way to get a good deal from the enormous price jumps is to buy chocolates after the holiday. However, one pointed out that supermarkets will stop ordering stock weeks before Easter.

‘You’re lucky if you can find anything in the few days before Easter now,’ they added.

View attachment 15701

In a similar instance, one shopper also shared a photo on social media of the treats they found at their local Woolies store and complained about the unfair pricing of the product. ‘We've all felt the cost of living pressure, as well as the rental crisis, but how about the Easter egg price gate!?' They wrote in their post. You can read more details about this story here.
Key Takeaways

• Some Easter eggs and chocolate items at grocery stores have stunned customers.
  • A Reddit user posted a photo of Cadbury’s 400g Dairy Milk Chocolate Easter Egg on sale for $20.
  • A 360g bar of Cadbury Dairy Milk chocolate retailed for $6, with one noting that adding 40g more chocolate for triple the price is too much.
What do you think about these prices, members? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Very sad to see nobody cares what Easter is all about here
Easter is the greatest celebration in the Catholic church because it is the completion of the Holy week that ends with the resurrection of Jesus. Easter celebrates the beginning and foundation of Christianity. Jesus was raised from the dead, and it goes to show that He conquered sin and death

Though I am not Catholic I certainly do uphold celebration of Easter the religious way only and we do it on the Julian Church calendar only which this year is a week later and we do not rush out to enjoy crappy easter eggs either

It was EXTREMELY NAUGHTY of me I know however I recall that when I was a child, discovering that someone was continuously eating my easter egg in the fridge.

Nobody owning up so I figured to teach whomever it was a lesson. The patterning of the chocolate was similar and so I put a broken-up block of laxettes inside it.

My younger sister had to be taken to the hospital. I never did that again, and she never stole anyone's easter eggs again.

Lindt is a high quality chocolate if people don't have the money then they won't buy it surely, there is much cheaper chocolate they should try reject shop I often buy my chocolate there they have some good prices

Reactions: Granny*Deb
Very sad to see nobody cares what Easter is all about here
Easter is the greatest celebration in the Catholic church because it is the completion of the Holy week that ends with the resurrection of Jesus. Easter celebrates the beginning and foundation of Christianity. Jesus was raised from the dead, and it goes to show that He conquered sin and death

Though I am not Catholic I certainly do uphold celebration of Easter the religious way only and we do it on the Julian Church calendar only which this year is a week later and we do not rush out to enjoy crappy easter eggs either
Well said !!

Years back I started referring to this amazing being as Yeshuah after hearing that this was actually his true name and that the term Jesus , was actually a name given by the Roman empire as meaning Hail Zeus.... its amazing what time reveals. He was an amazing being though, of this there can be no doubt.

I googled it..

Etymology,-Jesus: “Jesus” actually means – “Hail Zeus!” For Iësous in Greek is “Hail Zeus.” “Ie” translates as “Hail” and “sous”or “sus” translates as Zeus. The English name “Jesus”, therefore, stems etymologically from “Jupiter-Zeus” the chief god of the ancient Greek Olympus.” -Biblical Research Institute; 1996 by Les Aron Gosling.

Heck no, love Easter Eggs way to much to go without them. I just head on down to places like Tribe of Judah & Lighthouse Care in Brisbane where they sell them for half the price or less.

View attachment 15699

View attachment 15700

View attachment 15701

Key Takeaways

The cost of food is so high and to charge so much for so little chocolate is ridiculous. I buy blocks of chocolate on special and put a small egg or toy easter chic with them as Easter gifts. So very much cheaper and hugely less expensive.