‘Don’t fall for it!’ Woman shares her shocking scam experience on Facebook Marketplace

In today’s digital age, it’s easier than ever to buy and sell goods online.

For example, on Facebook Marketplace, shoppers and sellers can quickly and easily access a marketplace full of pre-loved items that are ready to be re-homed.

But with the rise of online transactions also comes the risk of being scammed by an opportunistic fraudster. And it’s happened to one Facebook Marketplace user recently, who’s now taken to the internet to warn others of her fate.

Michel Janse shared a video about her experience, which has since gained over 1.3 million views on social media.

In her video, Janse explained how an initial conversation with a potential furniture buyer started off normally but then took an unexpected turn.

photo (11).jpg
One woman warned users of a scam that’s going around on the platform. Image source: TikTok/@michel.c.janse (left), Google Voice (right).

'For my safety, I just want to confirm that you’re a real person,' said the buyer. 'Are you ok if I voice call you from Google?'

This made Janse suspicious, but nevertheless, she still provided the individual with her phone number. She soon discovered that the buyer was a fraudster who had used Janse’s number to create a Google Voice number linked to it, all with the aim of scamming other people.

According to the US Federal Trade Commission (FTC), it wasn’t just her phone number that the scammers were after.

'If they get enough of your information, they could pretend to be you to access your accounts or open new accounts in your name,' the FTC explained.

Fortunately, Janse was able to once again reclaim her Google Voice number after realising what had happened.

Thousands of users commented on Jane’s video thanking her for sharing her experience:

'I actually have never heard of this, so thank you for sharing. So glad you were able to get things back,' one commented.

'As someone who just started using Facebook Marketplace, thank you for this warning … I could’ve fell for it,' another replied.

Others who have heard about and fallen victim to the same type of scam have also shared their experience.

'I have heard of this. I always tell them I prefer to keep communication on Facebook Messenger and they never write back,' one shared.

While another wrote: 'Happened to me too. I no longer have access to my Facebook.'

You can watch Michel’s full video below:

Source: TikTok/@michel.c.janse.

In similar news, a Sydney mum named Paige had innocently listed her garden furniture on Facebook Marketplace after her young family moved to a new home.

Within a few minutes, a seemingly interested buyer, using the name ‘Rosi’, contacted her.

Little did Paige know that she was being pushed straight into a trap. You can read the rest of this story here.

Data from the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) showed that Australians lost more than $3 billion to scammers in 2022.

Moreover, the national survey discovered that over 52 per cent of Australians have been scammed, with some scammed multiple times. Alarmingly, 66 per cent of those victims have never reported this to proper authorities, which means around 6.7 million Aussies have not been compensated or supported after being scammed.

Rob Neely, Sell Securely Founder and Director, noted that an increasing number of these scams occur on social media, particularly on Facebook and its Marketplace feature, with 45 per cent of Aussies scammed on social media messaging platforms and marketplaces.

To protect yourself from falling prey to these types of scams, Needly advised everyone to:
  • Use secure platforms that hold transactions in escrow until both parties are satisfied.
  • If a deal seems too good to be true, it probably is. Be cautious, and don't feel pressured to send deposits quickly.
  • Verify the person’s identity by asking for identification and making sure their account is legitimate.
  • Lastly, if you do find yourself caught in a scam, Neely implores you to report it—especially to the ACCC, no matter how small the loss might be.
Tip
You can report scams to the ACCC through Scamwatch by clicking this link.
Key Takeaways
  • A woman has warned people of a scam on Facebook Marketplace through a video shared on social media.
  • She revealed that she was tricked into sharing her personal details with the scammer, who then created a Google Voice account using her number.
  • Rob Neely, Sell Securely Founder and Director, advised people to be wary of such scams.
  • Victims of such scams can still reclaim their Google Voice number, and instances of suspected scams should be reported to Scamwatch through this link.
Members, have you experienced something similar on Facebook Marketplace? Share your experience with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
I'm clutching at my pearls that anyone would think Market Place is a haven for scammers. Who would have thought! Really? Next you're going to tell me that my uncle wasn't a prince in Nigeria and the solicitor wanting to give me millions isn't real.

For example, on Facebook Marketplace, shoppers and sellers can quickly and easily access a marketplace full of pre-loved items that are ready to be re-homed.

But with the rise of online transactions also comes the risk of being scammed by an opportunistic fraudster. And it’s happened to one Facebook Marketplace user recently, who’s now taken to the internet to warn others of her fate.

Michel Janse shared a video about her experience, which has since gained over 1.3 million views on social media.

In her video, Janse explained how an initial conversation with a potential furniture buyer started off normally but then took an unexpected turn.

View attachment 31488
One woman warned users of a scam that’s going around on the platform. Image source: TikTok/@michel.c.janse (left), Google Voice (right).

'For my safety, I just want to confirm that you’re a real person,' said the buyer. 'Are you ok if I voice call you from Google?'

This made Janse suspicious, but nevertheless, she still provided the individual with her phone number. She soon discovered that the buyer was a fraudster who had used Janse’s number to create a Google Voice number linked to it, all with the aim of scamming other people.

According to the US Federal Trade Commission (FTC), it wasn’t just her phone number that the scammers were after.

'If they get enough of your information, they could pretend to be you to access your accounts or open new accounts in your name,' the FTC explained.

Fortunately, Janse was able to once again reclaim her Google Voice number after realising what had happened.

Thousands of users commented on Jane’s video thanking her for sharing her experience:

'I actually have never heard of this, so thank you for sharing. So glad you were able to get things back,' one commented.

'As someone who just started using Facebook Marketplace, thank you for this warning … I could’ve fell for it,' another replied.

Others who have heard about and fallen victim to the same type of scam have also shared their experience.

'I have heard of this. I always tell them I prefer to keep communication on Facebook Messenger and they never write back,' one shared.

While another wrote: 'Happened to me too. I no longer have access to my Facebook.'

In similar news, a Sydney mum named Paige had innocently listed her garden furniture on Facebook Marketplace after her young family moved to a new home.

Within a few minutes, a seemingly interested buyer, using the name ‘Rosi’, contacted her.

Little did Paige know that she was being pushed straight into a trap. You can read the rest of this story here.

Data from the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) showed that Australians lost more than $3 billion to scammers in 2022.

Moreover, the national survey discovered that over 52 per cent of Australians have been scammed, with some scammed multiple times. Alarmingly, 66 per cent of those victims have never reported this to proper authorities, which means around 6.7 million Aussies have not been compensated or supported after being scammed.

Rob Neely, Sell Securely Founder and Director, noted that an increasing number of these scams occur on social media, particularly on Facebook and its Marketplace feature, with 45 per cent of Aussies scammed on social media messaging platforms and marketplaces.

To protect yourself from falling prey to these types of scams, Needly advised everyone to:
  • Use secure platforms that hold transactions in escrow until both parties are satisfied.
  • If a deal seems too good to be true, it probably is. Be cautious, and don't feel pressured to send deposits quickly.
  • Verify the person’s identity by asking for identification and making sure their account is legitimate.
  • Lastly, if you do find yourself caught in a scam, Neely implores you to report it—especially to the ACCC, no matter how small the loss might be.
Tip
Key Takeaways

• A woman has warned people of a scam on Facebook Marketplace through a video shared on social media.
  • She revealed that she was tricked into sharing her personal details with the scammer, who then created a Google Voice account using her number.
  • Rob Neely, Sell Securely Founder and Director, advised people to be wary of such scams.
  • Victims of such scams can still reclaim their Google Voice number, and instances of suspected scams should be reported to Scamwatch through this link.
Members, have you experienced something similar on Facebook Marketplace? Share your experience with us in the comments below!

Talking about scams had a new one today with a different slant.Person on phone claimed to be a Telstra technician and my internet was fluctuating he needed to come to my address to fix it could I confirm my address ,when I said I don't use internet ( which I do ) he hung up

View attachment 31488

Tip
Key Takeaways

It’s seems every online selling platform is scammed. How the hell r we supposed to sell anything safely. If caught they should lock them up snd throw away the key.

Reactions: Bunyip57 and Chicky

View attachment 31488

Tip
Key Takeaways

Sadly my days of selling on Market place are OVER. Too hard - too risky - the fools have spoilt it for the real buyers. totally put off of giving my home address and too scared to meet somewhere else.

View attachment 31488

Tip
Key Takeaways

I recently advertised on marketplace and had obvious scammers respond so edited to say cash only, all but 2 buyers disappeared- and they both bought the goods, for cash 😁

Yes and facebook advertisement are often scammers as well. However they do sometimes have good ideas - and I copy the name and look on ebay, and often the item is there and cheaper. I use Paypal to purchase. I receive the item and feel it is more secure. If faulty I have the option to return.

View attachment 31488

Tip
Key Takeaways

I was interested in buying some orchids the were about 1 hour away so the lady and I use that term loosely said she would deliver for $10 I thought ok ,then she wanted me to pay half up and with PayPal friends which I had never heard of before, with that one you can’t get you money back. When I told her that she said well use this other way which was in American $$$ and I said it would be twice as much then she said well just pay half the amount , needless to say I declined bit was amazed how far she was willing to go to get my $$$. My first and last go on market place.

View attachment 31488

Tip
Key Takeaways

Always buy and sell FOR CASH ONLY. If necessary meet somewhere away from your home if the items are small enough to carry to and from that venue. Take another person with you for protection (preferably an adult male if you are a female).

View attachment 31488

Tip
Key Takeaways

I have been telling friends on FB for months to be aware of a scam that has been doing the rounds in South Australia. It goes under several names etc - it used to be mainly Port Noarlunga Buy & Sell, but often with a photo showing an older person/or a dog that was found injured - the story going that she or he walked off, and was lost etc etc. If you click on the name/business , you would quickly see it was set up a few days earlier or longernand theh people have no or not many followers. All you have to do is be waware and DON'T trust anywone.

I only pay cash on Facebook Marketplace and only buy from Sellers from my suburb - I get notifications filtered to my Suburb only. Communications are through FB messenger only. Anything outside of this I have absolutely zero interest in.
There are too many ways scams are trying to get your money, your details, whatever else that isn't theirs. Awareness is your mate and articles like this keeps everyone updated, so thank you for posting this.

Sounds like we need to go back to the local Sunday morning buy/sell markets at local shopping centre carparks which were the rage until on online selling took over. They were fun and very popular (but not ideal for bulky items like funiture), however a treasure chest for recycling an abundance of household & personal smaller items out of the back of your car or trailer. It was the local community so everyone was chatty and a good outing for an hour or so to take the kids along as tons of kids stuff for sale.

View attachment 31488

Tip
Key Takeaways

I saw a lift for lifting your mattress up with your pillows on Facebook I thought this would be great for me so I bought it months later I got a SMS saying it had been delivered but it had not I emailed them and email australia post australia post said that they had not delivered as it was only letters delivered on that day and they had had a number of complaints about these people being scammers so I sent the email to the bank saying the the parcel would be to big to fit in the letter box after a lot of email going back and forth I was given my money back it still has not been delivered 2years after

• Wow
Reactions: Halona

View attachment 31488

Tip
Key Takeaways

Scammers, always ask if item is still available, where do you live, I’ll send and UPs carrier to give you cash and pick up, or they want to do ID payment and want some one else to pick up. I had 8 women and 2 men all with fake profiles in 2 days. I was selling a wedding dress. Please do not give your address just the area, until you feel it’s ok. When you you ask them questions they’ll leave the chat. That’s my experience

I recently advertised on marketplace and had obvious scammers respond so edited to say cash only, all but 2 buyers disappeared- and they both bought the goods, for cash 😁
I use marketplace , never had an issue buying or selling. Cash on pick up, end of story.