‘Discriminatory’ detail in the car park of a recently opened Woolworths store left shoppers outraged

Woolworths have recently come under fire after a local customer noticed an inexcusable detail in the car park of a brand new store.

The Mount Barker South store in South Australia recently opened to the public—and what the shopper noticed is reportedly a major oversight from the supermarket giant.

The disgruntled customer named Leonie Tagan aired her sentiments on social media and pointed out that the store’s car park had fourteen spaces for parents with prams near the entrance—and only one for shoppers with disabilities.

In her video, she said that there were 'three to four' more spaces on the other side of the road. However, they highlighted the dangers of trying to traverse such roads, especially for those in wheelchairs.

SDC Images (4).png
The car park reportedly had more spaces for those with prams than for those with disabilities. Image source: Freepik.

'I just finally went to the new Woolworths that opened in Mount Barker recently, and I am extremely disappointed and actually really angry at how I guess unimportant disabilities are to them.'

'The store itself was great, lovely, nice and new—but there is one disabled park near the front door, and there are 14 pram parks.

'And then across the actual road, the main road in, there are three or four other disability parks.

'So my problem is all those pram parks should not be that close. That should be disability car parks, and then at the end of that row should be where the pram parks are.'

Tagan, who uses a wheelchair herself, also explained the dangers of moving through a car park in a wheelchair.

'I would have to park and roll across the traffic, and it’s really hard to see over cars, and cars can’t see me,' she said.

SDC Image 2.png
One customer who uses a wheelchair shared the dangers of crossing the road with a wheelchair. Image source: TikTok/@leonietagan.

'It is extremely dangerous, and it’s very discriminatory of the brand new Woolworths.'

She also acknowledged how useful the parking spaces may be for parents but claimed that they do not need to be so close to the entrance.

'That’s where people with disabilities need access,' Tagan added.

'The other thing is disability parks are permit spaces and legally need to be provided at these places—whereas pram parks are courtesy parks.'

'Yes, we can park in these car [spaces], but they’re actually too narrow for me to exit my vehicle in a wheelchair. I actually need it, you know, space to get out of the wheelchair.'

The news was met with outrage from other users and parents themselves, with one saying: 'As a parent, I agree! I just wanted wider parks, not closest when I had little kids!'

While another parent said: 'If they ask parents, we will say we are happy to park way out the back as long as the space is wider! We don’t care about the door distance!'

'Woolworths, do better!' A third added.

While a fourth shared: 'It’s the same with the new one at Clarkson! I’m always so worried I’ll fall whilst crossing the road. It’s so frustrating.'

Woolworths responded and acknowledged the community’s feedback on the issue.

'We’re aware of feedback related to disability car parking spaces at our new Mt Barker store,' the supermarket’s spokesperson said.

'We’re working with the landlord to input an extra two disability car parking spaces adjacent to the front entrance.'

'This change will be completed over the coming weeks.'

You can watch Leonie Tagan’s full video below:

Source: TikTok/@leonietagan.

Guidelines for Accessible Parking in a Commercial Space

The incident shared by one shopper is a reminder that commercial premises all over need to adhere to the basic principles of accessibility. Although the blueprint for setting up ideal parking spaces varies, there are universal guidelines often proposed by disability rights organisations that businesses should consider.

First, accessible parking spaces need to be located as close as possible to the entrance of a store or mall. This dramatically reduces the distance persons with mobility difficulties have to cover.

Moreover, it's crucial to consider the size of these parking spaces. Generally, these should be wider than conventional parking lots to accommodate wheelchairs or other mobility equipment conveniently. Extra space can be a lifeline because it allows vehicle doors to be fully opened to ease the transition from vehicle to wheelchair or vice versa.

To cap it off, clear marking and signage are an absolute must. Proper signage ensures that these spaces do not go unnoticed or get misused by persons who don't genuinely need them.
Key Takeaways
  • A Woolworths customer has criticised the supermarket chain over parking spaces at its new Mount Barker South store in South Australia.
  • The car park has fourteen spaces for parents with prams near the entrance, but only one for shoppers with disabilities.
  • The shopper has accused Woolworths of discrimination and explained that navigating through traffic from the designated disability parking spots can be dangerous.
  • A Woolworths spokesperson confirmed that the supermarket plans to add two more disability parking spaces to the supermarket entrance following community feedback.
What are your thoughts on this shopper’s sentiments? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Woolworths have recently come under fire after a local customer noticed an inexcusable detail in the car park of a brand new store.

The Mount Barker South store in South Australia recently opened to the public—and what the shopper noticed is reportedly a major oversight from the supermarket giant.

The disgruntled customer named Leonie Tagan aired her sentiments on social media and pointed out that the store’s car park had fourteen spaces for parents with prams near the entrance—and only one for shoppers with disabilities.

In her video, she said that there were 'three to four' more spaces on the other side of the road. However, they highlighted the dangers of trying to traverse such roads, especially for those in wheelchairs.

View attachment 30712
The car park reportedly had more spaces for those with prams than for those with disabilities. Image source: Freepik.

'I just finally went to the new Woolworths that opened in Mount Barker recently, and I am extremely disappointed and actually really angry at how I guess unimportant disabilities are to them.'

'The store itself was great, lovely, nice and new—but there is one disabled park near the front door, and there are 14 pram parks.

'And then across the actual road, the main road in, there are three or four other disability parks.

'So my problem is all those pram parks should not be that close. That should be disability car parks, and then at the end of that row should be where the pram parks are.'

Tagan, who uses a wheelchair herself, also explained the dangers of moving through a car park in a wheelchair.

'I would have to park and roll across the traffic, and it’s really hard to see over cars, and cars can’t see me,' she said.

View attachment 30713
One customer who uses a wheelchair shared the dangers of crossing the road with a wheelchair. Image source: TikTok/@leonietagan.

'It is extremely dangerous, and it’s very discriminatory of the brand new Woolworths.'

She also acknowledged how useful the parking spaces may be for parents but claimed that they do not need to be so close to the entrance.

'The other thing is disability parks are permit spaces and legally need to be provided at these places—whereas pram parks are courtesy parks.'

'Yes, we can park in these car [spaces], but they’re actually too narrow for me to exit my vehicle in a wheelchair. I actually need it, you know, space to get out of the wheelchair.'

The news was met with outrage from other users and parents themselves, with one saying: 'As a parent, I agree! I just wanted wider parks, not closest when I had little kids!'

While another parent said: 'If they ask parents, we will say we are happy to park way out the back as long as the space is wider! We don’t care about the door distance!'

While a fourth shared: 'It’s the same with the new one at Clarkson! I’m always so worried I’ll fall whilst crossing the road. It’s so frustrating.'

'We’re aware of feedback related to disability car parking spaces at our new Mt Barker store,' the supermarket’s spokesperson said.

'We’re working with the landlord to input an extra two disability car parking spaces adjacent to the front entrance.'

The incident shared by one shopper is a reminder that commercial premises all over need to adhere to the basic principles of accessibility. Although the blueprint for setting up ideal parking spaces varies, there are universal guidelines often proposed by disability rights organisations that businesses should consider.

First, accessible parking spaces need to be located as close as possible to the entrance of a store or mall. This dramatically reduces the distance persons with mobility difficulties have to cover.

Moreover, it's crucial to consider the size of these parking spaces. Generally, these should be wider than conventional parking lots to accommodate wheelchairs or other mobility equipment conveniently. Extra space can be a lifeline because it allows vehicle doors to be fully opened to ease the transition from vehicle to wheelchair or vice versa.

To cap it off, clear marking and signage are an absolute must. Proper signage ensures that these spaces do not go unnoticed or get misused by persons who don't genuinely need them.
Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths customer has criticised the supermarket chain over parking spaces at its new Mount Barker South store in South Australia.
  • The car park has fourteen spaces for parents with prams near the entrance, but only one for shoppers with disabilities.
  • The shopper has accused Woolworths of discrimination and explained that navigating through traffic from the designated disability parking spots can be dangerous.
  • A Woolworths spokesperson confirmed that the supermarket plans to add two more disability parking spaces to the supermarket entrance following community feedback.
What are your thoughts on this shopper’s sentiments? Let us know in the comments below!

I have never understood why the parents with prams bays are near the entrance. They are pushing a pram. Wider bays of course so they have room to manoeuvre little children out of their car seats but at the entrance? Seems unnecessary. The closest spaces should definitely be reserved for disabled

This lady is absolutely correct. Although families with prams should have bigger bays but near the entrance, not necesary. I also think that there should be parking for the elderly near the entrance. Not all elderly people are in wheelchairs but many still have difficulty walking any distance. We are an aging population so this also should be considered.

I have never understood why the parents with prams bays are near the entrance. They are pushing a pram. Wider bays of course so they have room to manoeuvre little children out of their car seats but at the entrance? Seems unnecessary. The closest spaces should definitely be reserved for disabled
I agree. Too many parents with prams parks compared to people with a disability parks. I shudder to say the words but when my kids were small there was no such thing as parents with prams parking. Woolworths need to change their thoughts on the car parks or maybe they want more people with kids to shop in their store than people with a disability. Their thinking may be that parents with kids will spend more 🤔. I really hope that isn’t what was on their minds when planning the car park.

View attachment 30712

View attachment 30713

Key Takeaways

I find that there are not enough disabilities car parks everywhere. When I was dropping my grandchildren to school, they had 1 disability car park. Sometimes I would have to park across a busy road to drop my grandchildren off.

View attachment 30712

View attachment 30713

Key Takeaways

I have never u derstood the pram parks. They are fit Mums so why do they need close to the door carparks. Us with a disability permit need it more. That is dreadful of Woolworths to do that.

View attachment 30712

View attachment 30713

Key Takeaways

Not just disability parking spaces. Has anyone seen a seniors parking space recently? There's an overabundance of pram spaces but seniors spaces have disappeared..... maybe they think we're all dead.

View attachment 30712

View attachment 30713

Key Takeaways

I fully agree and have never understood the need for mothers with prams to take up disability parking spots. Mothers are young and fit and able to walk longer distances than people with a disability or need space to disembark to a wheelchair. I have noticed that a lot of pram spaces are closer to the shops and are no wider than an ordinary car park in our local shopping centre. Move them further away and make more disability parking spots please

Perhaps someone from the store could be assigned an hour a day to patrol the 'disability parking spaces', photograph any/all cars parked without a permit displayed & this could then be reported to police to take necessary action. I don't know the legality of this, but there may be some action that could be taken if your car (with number plate) is photographed without a permit and reported to police.

Reactions: Macarj and Leenie
Yes we have often had to use the Pram car parks - both my husband and I need the extra space to get in and out of the car - he has Parkinson's and I use a wheelie walker so we need to have the doors open for longer to get in and out - you can't do that in normal spaces but have been forced to use normal car parks because of shortages of disabled - the other drivers don't like that as we take longer to get in and out. Most places do not have enough disabled parks full stop.

View attachment 30712

View attachment 30713

Key Takeaways

it's amazing how few disabled bays there are anywhere and even worse are the retro fitted bays required by law some of them are absolutely impossible for people needing extra room. some I've seen have one side abutting trolley return bays hampering the intened user.

I fully agree and have never understood the need for mothers with prams to take up disability parking spots. Mothers are young and fit and able to walk longer distances than people with a disability or need space to disembark to a wheelchair. I have noticed that a lot of pram spaces are closer to the shops and are no wider than an ordinary car park in our local shopping centre. Move them further away and make more disability parking spots please
Mothers with prams - they only need to hold the child's hand and escort it to the waiting pram, buckle the child in and then move off. The child will not have any chance to run off by itself, what's the problem? A person with disability needs that sticker on the front of their car and maximum space to be able to get in and out of their car, hence wider bays and those need to be nearest the entrance!

I agree. Too many parents with prams parks compared to people with a disability parks. I shudder to say the words but when my kids were small there was no such thing as parents with prams parking. Woolworths need to change their thoughts on the car parks or maybe they want more people with kids to shop in their store than people with a disability. Their thinking may be that parents with kids will spend more 🤔. I really hope that isn’t what was on their minds when planning the car park.
Our woollies have better disability parking there are 6 out front close to entry and 4 under beside the lift. So we are better catered for . Although you need to plan when you shop as they are always full. There are no pram places as I feel they are not needed as Elizabeth L said in our days they weren’t heard of and most prams were not the size some are today.

Not just disability parking spaces. Has anyone seen a seniors parking space recently? There's an overabundance of pram spaces but seniors spaces have disappeared..... maybe they think we're all dead.

View attachment 30712

View attachment 30713

Key Takeaways

I recently went to a coles shop in Byford there were lots,: of SENIOR parking along the front of the shop brilliant idea and most of the cars had a sticker/ card on the dash board from the shopping center well done !

Reactions: Macarj and Gsr
I'm in my seventies and suffer from Arthritis, where available I use the parents with prams parking spaces allowing easier access to the centers without having to hobble through the car park.

I'm in my seventies and suffer from Arthritis, where available I use the parents with prams parking spaces allowing easier access to the centers without having to hobble through the car park.
More people with disabilities should do the same ,disability comes in all forms some more noticeable than others ,so please give us oldies some consideration.