‘Crazy influx’ of snake sightings everywhere as warmer season begins

Australia's vast landscapes come alive with activity. But it's not just the beachgoers and barbecuers who are stirring; the nation's reptilian residents are also making their presence known.

Yes, snake season is upon us, and with it comes a surge in sightings that has experts urging Aussies to exercise caution and awareness.

The warmer weather acts as a catalyst, making snakes more agile and, consequently, more visible as they venture out in search of food and mates.

While snakes are inherently defensive and not naturally aggressive, encounters with venomous species like the red-bellied black snake or the brown snake can be alarming and potentially dangerous.

2_20240913_101954_0001.png
There has been an increase of snake sightings as warmer weather begins. Credit: @that.snake.lady / Instagram

Courtenay Brown, affectionately known as That Snake Lady and a seasoned snake catcher from Queensland, has observed a 'crazy influx' of snake sightings and callouts to homes since mid-August, attributing this to the warmer-than-usual weather.

'It just went crazy straight away,' she reported. ‘It has been a couple of callouts every day for a few weeks. So that's quite a lot for me.’

In Queensland, pythons are a common year-round sight, but lately, there's been an increase in red-bellied black snakes.

‘It's the time of year they're looking for a mate and so they're moving around," often finding their way into gardens and homes,’ Brown said.

These serpents often find their way into gardens and even homes, causing concern among residents, especially those new to the area who may not be familiar with how to react upon encountering a snake.

‘They get very scared as soon as they see one and they want it gone, which doesn't necessarily have to happen all the time,’ she said.

Stuart McKenzie from Sunshine Coast Snake Catchers 24/7 echoed Brown's observations, describing the end of August had a ‘massive influx’ of callouts they've ever experienced.

‘The season always starts mid to late August, but that last week of August was one of the busiest seven days that we've ever had. It was ridiculous,’ McKenziee said.

Tip
For those who enjoy gardening or spending time outdoors, there are several steps you can take to minimise the chances of an unwanted slithery visitor:

1. Keep your yard tidy: Remove any debris or building materials where snakes might find shelter.
2. Maintain your grass: Mow your lawn regularly to keep it short, reducing hiding spots for snakes.
3. Discourage vermin: Pet food should not be left outside, as it can attract rodents, which in turn can attract snakes.
4. Protect small pets: If you have small animals, keep them indoors or in secure enclosures that snakes cannot penetrate.
5. Close doors: Keeping doors shut can prevent snakes from entering your home.
Both McKenzie and Brown stress the importance of not interfering with snakes, as it is not only illegal but also dangerous.

Instead, they advise maintaining a safe distance and allowing the snake to move on if it's outside. If a snake enters your home, it's crucial to call in professionals to handle the situation.

‘Most of the time, if it's not an inviting space, they'll just keep moving through the yard and they won't need to be relocated,’ Brown said.
Key Takeaways
  • Warmer weather in Australia has led to an increase in snake sightings, prompting warnings for residents to stay vigilant, especially near their homes.
  • Snake catchers report a 'crazy influx' of callouts to homes for snake removal, with venomous species such as red-bellied black snakes and brown snakes among those being sighted.
  • Experts advise never to interfere with snakes, which is not only illegal but dangerous, and stress the importance of calling professionals to handle snake encounters.
  • Tips to maintain a snake-free environment at home include keeping yards tidy, maintaining short grass, removing vermin attractants, keeping small pets inside or secure, and keeping doors shut to prevent snakes from entering homes.
Have you had any snake encounters? How did you handle the situation? Share your stories and tips in the comments below!

Sponsored
Snakes are much more prevalent and we are seeing more and more as we are no longer allowed to kill them. In our area I have lived for 22 years and never seen a snake until now. it killed our dog. There are just so many now and only going to get worse as the numbers steadily rise each year. Another area where bureaucrats have gone mad without thinking of the consequences!

My brother lives in bush land NSW, he often sends me photos of visitors snakes, mostly he gets the carpet snakes, one photo had me in a good laugh 🤣 there was a green python snake l believe it was might be wrong. Inside his little house on the inside of the window ledge trying to escape a Kookaburra.
My brother left it there until the cost was clear then took it outside. He has had many stories to share with me about his wild life visitors. He has had goannas come in the house. He is so funny. This is my brother.
What are you doing in here mate? I did not invite you in. Go on get get l said get going or l will foot you up the arse.
It's so funny the way he tells the stories. One time outside the front door he had a carpet snake wrapped around a bush. He untangled it and threw it and said get going you bastard l did not invite you for coffee.
He has the bush turkeys visit he calls them Bob Bob. He is a real character and the way he tells me his stories is so funny.
Kind regards to all Vicki

I think that education is needed regarding snakes. They do have a bad reputation which is generally an exaggeration of their presence and is in some cases unfounded. They can get gentle and in some cases non-toxic. There is a Facebook page, Australian Snake Identifiers, who give great advice and knowledge about snakes and offers identification of snakes found across Australia. It is interesting and not frightening, worth a look anyway.

Reactions: Dynamo and BellaB18
Have you had any snake encounters? How did you handle the situation? Share your stories and tips in the comments below!

I've lost count of my snake encounters. I handled them with ease without incident. But I have been bitten by a funnel web spider but its identity could not be verified as I squished it beyond recognition with my fingers.

• Wow
Reactions: Dynamo
We see them often as we live near a beach. Most times they will fear you and slither away. It's illegal to kill them. However I know that some in our street have "disappeared". We are constantly on lookout to protect pets in warmer weather.

Reactions: BellaB18
Snakes are much more prevalent and we are seeing more and more as we are no longer allowed to kill them. In our area I have lived for 22 years and never seen a snake until now. it killed our dog. There are just so many now and only going to get worse as the numbers steadily rise each year. Another area where bureaucrats have gone mad without thinking of the consequences!
Loosing your pup to a snake bit😥

Loosing your pup to a snake bit😥
I am so sorry you lost your dog to a snake, that is devastating.
Yes the government needs to come up with something. Don't know what but as the numbers are growing it is becoming more dangerous.