‘Crazy’ change to Coles & Woolworths mud cakes leaves shoppers fuming

We all know how delicious the chocolate mud cakes are at the supermarket. And whether it’s spoiling yourself after a long week or picking up the timeless dessert to give as a surprise gift to the grandkids, mud cakes have long been an Australian favourite.

However, it seems the prices of everyone's favourite go-to desserts are going up – and it's leaving most supermarket shoppers none too happy.

It seems that nothing is immune to inflation these days, as a long-adored dessert staple has become the latest item to receive an ‘outrageous’ price increase.

Sharing to the popular social media forum Reddit, a Coles customer revealed that the store’s Chocolate Mud Cakes are now priced at $6.40.

It was reported that in February, the popular bakery item was priced at $5.75. Prior to that, the mud cakes cost just $4.80.

mudcake1.jpg
Mud cakes are the latest victims of inflation. Credit: Woolworths

Not only that but according to its website, Woolworths Cake Chocolate Mud also increased its price to $6.40 – the same price as Coles.

On Reddit, one shopper described the price increase as a ‘national tragedy’, with other Reddit users quickly following suit and slamming the rise, describing it as a ‘bloody outrage’.

‘Crazy! It seems so recently these were like $4 or even $3.50,’ wrote one disgruntled customer.

Another agreed and replied: ‘They also shrunk a bunch over the years.’

Others believe that the mud cakes were impacted by ‘shrinkflation’, a term that’s been popularised in recent years and used to describe when consumer costs increase but the amount of product you receive ‘shrinks’ or is visibly reduced. Shrinkflation isn’t a separate entity from inflation. Rather, it’s a specific part of it. You can read this article for more details about this phenomenon.

mudcake3.jpg
Both Coles and Woolies increased the prices of their mud cakes. Credit: Reddit

Earlier last month, it was reported that the beloved Maxibon ice creams had reduced the size and weight of their sweet treats to help offset their expenses. Unlike other sellers or manufacturers, however, Maxibon forewarned its customers of the size reduction.

‘Tough times mean tough changes,’ they posted on their social media platforms. You can read the rest of this story here.

One shopper wrote about how every item seems to be going up ‘another 20c’ lately.

‘So many things are now double the cost of a year ago, and the specials no longer seem very special. Saving 20c off the $6.50 price of something isn't a great saving, and the stuff on half price these days is always the cr** that no one buys anyway – some obscure item they bought a shipload of to sell once cheap and never be seen again,’ they explained.

Another responded: ‘From $4 to this in under a year. Horrific.’

‘Welp, it’s official. There is no reason for the Aussie $5 note,’ one quipped.

mudcake2.jpg
Social media users slammed the price increase online. Credit: Coles

Others agreed it was a ‘national disgrace’ and said ‘protests should be planned for every capital city until this stops’.

Some speculated that both Coles and Woolies are ‘guilty of price gouging’.

‘After huge hikes, they have now started to advertise that they have cut prices...But only by a fraction of what they have raised them,’ they added.

‘Apparently, 100 per cent inflation seems fair?’ Someone else responded.

‘Coles have been lifting prices on things than in a month or so, dropping the price to a "LOCKED" price. Absolute scamming,’ one more replied.

Other social media users argued that, despite the increase, the mud cakes were still ‘great value’.

‘Six dollars for a whole cake is still absurdly cheap, to be fair – haven’t bought one in years, I would have thought they were at least $10,’ one remarked.

Another responded: ‘Yeah, there’s a small coffee shop in my local shops that sells small, simple cakes for $80 to $100. They’re i***ts, but yeah, $6 for a decent cake is still fantastic.’

‘It’s not even that bad, though. $6.40 for a cake is cheap as, let’s be real,’ someone else wrote.

A spokesperson for Coles responded to the claims online and explained that several factors contributed to the price hike.

‘As a result of the rising cost of raw materials and production, there have been some changes to the price of our Coles mud cakes,’ the spokesperson told reporters.

They added: ‘We know this is a popular product for our customers, and we do not take these price changes lightly.’

It is understood that the cost of raw materials across wheat, sugar and chocolate, as well as production, has led to the price increase on Coles mud cakes.
Key Takeaways
  • A Reddit user shared a photograph showing the price of Coles supermarket's Chocolate Mud Cakes increased to $6.40.
  • Woolworths also increased the price of their mud cakes to $6.40.
  • Some Reddit users slammed the increase, describing it as a 'national disgrace' and a 'bloody outrage.'
  • A Coles spokesperson cited the rising cost of raw materials and production as reasons for the price increase.
Are you shocked by this price increase? Have you noticed other price changes in the supermarket? Join the conversation in the comments below and share your thoughts!

Sponsored
Everything has gone up and still every fortnight when we shop prices have gone up yet again. I used to buy a carton of pepsi max for $19 then it was $24 now just yesterday it is $35.50 I couldn't believe it. Guess I won't be buying pepsi again :( Toilet paper was $8 now it is $12 Can't afford much these days and it is just getting worse unfortunately.
Go to Aldi if you can and buy the toilet paper. It's apparently made by Quilton anyway but under Aldi stock item Confidence. Also, try Chemist Warehouse for Quilton 36x pack for $17.99.

Reactions: Jarred Santos
Bake your own cakes everyone. Even if single and living alone, just use half the cake mix and one egg. Some packets ask for one egg total mix which is unusual but I have used have packet and one egg anyway and then place the cake packet into the fridge and do a later cake bake. If three eggs, just use two eggs and still half packet bakes. Some icing sugar and cocoa powder. Or, even if you have some chocolate, melt some chocolate and pour over the small cake for indulgent cake.

No it's not. You clearly don't bake. You can't buy the ingredients for a couple od dollars. It's actually more expensive to 'make your own'.
I agree with another in that you clearly do not bake or waste a lot of money in all the baking in meals and treats like cakes. Much cheaper to do your own and if using a cake mix just use half cake mix and then one egg, a little milk or oil if you use that. Place the open cake mix in fridge for a later cake bake. I made 20 Spaghetti Bolognese sauce meals, most frozen in portions for $18 at most. All from scratch and no jar sauces, plus carrots, fresh mushrooms, brown onions. I 50% of the beef mince grade 4 and 50% of the pork mince both purchased from Aldi. The other 50% of each mince is in the freezer for next patch of Bolognese sauce to be made for another 18 plus meal serves.

If it helps to make re-think how they can make their dollars go further and you have more money in your bank account then every suggestion helps. I had to re-think myself and spending. I started keeping 'factual & accurate spending records' .. on absolutely every cent I spend and I mean every single cent spent, even on energy, on petrol even $0.50 for a banana. I also keep daily meal records of what I've eaten and cats have had. I know exactly what I ate and my cats including the strays costings even 5 years ago. I know how much the $Total Costings including home building & contents insurances, car, energy, miscellaneous (shoes, Lotto, pens, paper books for book keeping ..etc), phone/internet, private medical. I know the total for that previous year and the cost per day. When 2023 finishes up I will know it for 2023.

I never buy these mud cakes from the supermarket , I know they used to be very cheap . When it is cheap , the ingredients can’t be that flash.
I know they are full of fat and sugar , just to make it taste nicer/better.
I never make cakes from packets either .
I always make my own cakes/ breads, cookies etc From scratch and taste so much nicer and better for you as well . Yesterday I went to see friends and one person is gluten intolerant , so I made a healthy bananabread , no butter or oil , as I used applesauce( homemade , no sugar ) and yogurt. Everything liked it and took some home. I sliced it at Home and put some in the freezer for later.
It may not be cheaper , but at least you know what you are eating.

Reactions: Milica
Reply to Bricat…yes I do bake, cake, biscuits, muffins, health bars and bread…I’m very health conscious and like to know what I am consuming.
It may start out being expensive to bake, but from one lot of ingredients at the start you will make more than one cake!!

I never buy these mud cakes from the supermarket , I know they used to be very cheap . When it is cheap , the ingredients can’t be that flash.
I know they are full of fat and sugar , just to make it taste nicer/better.
I never make cakes from packets either .
I always make my own cakes/ breads, cookies etc From scratch and taste so much nicer and better for you as well . Yesterday I went to see friends and one person is gluten intolerant , so I made a healthy bananabread , no butter or oil , as I used applesauce( homemade , no sugar ) and yogurt. Everything liked it and took some home. I sliced it at Home and put some in the freezer for later.
It may not be cheaper , but at least you know what you are eating.
So true - sounds delicious & healthy - no preservatives and additives, no putting on extra unhealthy weight from all the sugar, fat, and carbs with hidden sugars in packaged goods!

We all know how delicious the chocolate mud cakes are at the supermarket. And whether it’s spoiling yourself after a long week or picking up the timeless dessert to give as a surprise gift to the grandkids, mud cakes have long been an Australian favourite.

However, it seems the prices of everyone's favourite go-to desserts are going up – and it's leaving most supermarket shoppers none too happy.

It seems that nothing is immune to inflation these days, as a long-adored dessert staple has become the latest item to receive an ‘outrageous’ price increase.

Sharing to the popular social media forum Reddit, a Coles customer revealed that the store’s Chocolate Mud Cakes are now priced at $6.40.

It was reported that in February, the popular bakery item was priced at $5.75. Prior to that, the mud cakes cost just $4.80.

View attachment 17814

Not only that but according to its website, Woolworths Cake Chocolate Mud also increased its price to $6.40 – the same price as Coles.

On Reddit, one shopper described the price increase as a ‘national tragedy’, with other Reddit users quickly following suit and slamming the rise, describing it as a ‘bloody outrage’.

‘Crazy! It seems so recently these were like $4 or even $3.50,’ wrote one disgruntled customer.

Others believe that the mud cakes were impacted by ‘shrinkflation’, a term that’s been popularised in recent years and used to describe when consumer costs increase but the amount of product you receive ‘shrinks’ or is visibly reduced. Shrinkflation isn’t a separate entity from inflation. Rather, it’s a specific part of it. You can read this article for more details about this phenomenon.

View attachment 17816

Earlier last month, it was reported that the beloved Maxibon ice creams had reduced the size and weight of their sweet treats to help offset their expenses. Unlike other sellers or manufacturers, however, Maxibon forewarned its customers of the size reduction.

‘Tough times mean tough changes,’ they posted on their social media platforms. You can read the rest of this story here.

One shopper wrote about how every item seems to be going up ‘another 20c’ lately.

‘So many things are now double the cost of a year ago, and the specials no longer seem very special. Saving 20c off the $6.50 price of something isn't a great saving, and the stuff on half price these days is always the cr** that no one buys anyway – some obscure item they bought a shipload of to sell once cheap and never be seen again,’ they explained.

View attachment 17815

Others agreed it was a ‘national disgrace’ and said ‘protests should be planned for every capital city until this stops’.

‘After huge hikes, they have now started to advertise that they have cut prices...But only by a fraction of what they have raised them,’ they added.

‘Coles have been lifting prices on things than in a month or so, dropping the price to a "LOCKED" price. Absolute scamming,’ one more replied.

Other social media users argued that, despite the increase, the mud cakes were still ‘great value’.

‘Six dollars for a whole cake is still absurdly cheap, to be fair – haven’t bought one in years, I would have thought they were at least $10,’ one remarked.

Another responded: ‘Yeah, there’s a small coffee shop in my local shops that sells small, simple cakes for $80 to $100. They’re i***ts, but yeah, $6 for a decent cake is still fantastic.’

‘It’s not even that bad, though. $6.40 for a cake is cheap as, let’s be real,’ someone else wrote.

A spokesperson for Coles responded to the claims online and explained that several factors contributed to the price hike.

‘As a result of the rising cost of raw materials and production, there have been some changes to the price of our Coles mud cakes,’ the spokesperson told reporters.

They added: ‘We know this is a popular product for our customers, and we do not take these price changes lightly.’

It is understood that the cost of raw materials across wheat, sugar and chocolate, as well as production, has led to the price increase on Coles mud cakes.
Key Takeaways

• A Reddit user shared a photograph showing the price of Coles supermarket's Chocolate Mud Cakes increased to $6.40.
  • Some Reddit users slammed the increase, describing it as a 'national disgrace' and a 'bloody outrage.'
  • A Coles spokesperson cited the rising cost of raw materials and production as reasons for the price increase.
Are you shocked by this price increase? Have you noticed other price changes in the supermarket? Join the conversation in the comments below and share your thoughts!
I remember them being $4 not that long ago, but $6:40 come on, it WAS a luxury we (pensioners) could afford every now and again but we can’t now, I did notice the last few times I did buy one most of the chocolate icing stuck to the paper, it was just a big mess.
I did notice yesterday while shopping Sunblest Bread has gone up by 70c, it’s now $4 a loaf 🥲

View attachment 17814

View attachment 17816

View attachment 17815

Key Takeaways

I would think there should be far more outrage and shock about the price increases on essential everyday products that do not contribute to the increase of obesity in this country.

View attachment 17814

View attachment 17816

View attachment 17815

Key Takeaways

I want to know what happened to the bar of lamington cake. After reading this article I’m wondering if it is just not viable to make them anymore because of the cost to us ?

I would think there should be far more outrage and shock about the price increases on essential everyday products that do not contribute to the increase of obesity in this country.
And yes there is more concern about the price increases on essential everyday items! - mudcakes are not bought as an everyday item - they are for special occassions or as a treat every now and then!
Once the supermarket knows that an item is selling well - it seems to go up in price and in this instance quite a lot - hence are the comments coming - now pensioners who could afford to buy them every now and then @ $4.00 won't be able to do so - the little affordable pleasures every now and then or to be able to take somewhere to share for morning tea, gone!_! Food is more than just eating, it contains a healthy social aspect & knowing that every now and then you can contribute - not everyone knows how to bake!

Reactions: Defiant540

View attachment 17814

View attachment 17816

View attachment 17815

Key Takeaways

Coles, Woolies and IGA now all sell Smiths crisps (175g) for a regular price of $4.80. In November last year the regular (not discount price) was $2.20 or $2.30 a packet. This is more than 100% price increase. Their should be questions in Canberra about this type of blatant profiteering and collusion between the major supermarket chains.

Coles, Woolies and IGA now all sell Smiths crisps (175g) for a regular price of $4.80. In November last year the regular (not discount price) was $2.20 or $2.30 a packet. This is more than 100% price increase. Their should be questions in Canberra about this type of blatant profiteering and collusion between the major supermarket chains.
wtf!

View attachment 17814

View attachment 17816

View attachment 17815

Key Takeaways

I’m lucky I don’t like chocolate mud cake but for the price of ingredients these days $6.40 is reasonable