Woman’s Facebook Marketplace listing leads to ‘creepy’ customer behaviour

In the digital age, platforms like Facebook Marketplace have become the go-to for decluttering and finding new homes for our pre-loved items. It's a convenient way to recycle clothes and earn a little extra cash.

However, what should be a straightforward transaction can sometimes turn into a disturbing experience, as some Australian women have recently discovered.

A young woman, eager to sell her old clothes, was left feeling disgusted after listing her items on Facebook Marketplace.

What followed was a series of unsettling events that have become all too familiar for female sellers on the platform.

Screenshot 2024-05-03 111937.png
A woman was disgusted by her experience in Facebook Marketplace. Image source: Freepik

The woman, in her early 20s, was bombarded with inappropriate messages from male 'customers' who seemed to be using the site for purposes other than its intended use.

Instead of inquiring about the clothes, these men sent flirty and ‘creepy’ messages, seemingly blurring the lines between a marketplace and a dating site.

'Do men use Marketplace for dating now because [what the f***]?' the seller expressed her frustration online.

‘I've had about four or five messages like this so far, other ones are older guys asking me to try on clothes for them and pose in specific ways, I just want to sell my stuff leave me alone.'

In an interview, the woman shared a particularly disturbing encounter where a man offered her $1,000 for a dress priced much lower on the condition that she accompany him to dinner.

She declined and informed him that the dress was already sold, pointing out that his behaviour was 'a little creepy'.

Unfortunately, this isn't an isolated incident. Many women have come forward with similar stories, some of which have left them feeling 'ill'.

The comments on the seller's post revealed a pattern of 'creepy' requests, including one man who asked a woman to dress her child in the children's clothes she was selling.

The issue extends beyond uncomfortable messages.

Some women have noticed that Facebook creeps can now 'follow' their Marketplace activity, receiving notifications every time they post a new item for sale.

This feature, while intended to help buyers keep track of their favourite sellers, has inadvertently given potential harassers a tool to monitor women's online presence.

The surge in complaints about unwanted attention and inappropriate requests on Facebook Marketplace is alarming.

Women have reported being offered extra money for items if they 'smell a certain way' or being asked if they are selling lingerie upon meeting up with a buyer for an unrelated item.

This new trend of men 'following' women on the platform is particularly concerning for those who only sell clothing, as it suggests that the followers have no genuine interest in the items being sold.

It's important to note that users can opt out of allowing people to follow their activity on Marketplace, but this feature is automatically enabled, and many users are unaware of it.

For our senior community members who might be considering using Facebook Marketplace to sell items, it's crucial to be aware of these potential risks.

Always prioritise your safety by meeting in public places, bringing a friend or family member along for transactions, and trusting your instincts if a message or request feels off.

We have featured several stories of Facebook Marketplace transactions gone wrong in our forum. You can read some of it here:
Key Takeaways
  • A young woman received unsettling messages from men after posting clothes for sale on Facebook Marketplace.
  • These messages included flirty advances and inappropriate requests, such as asking the seller to try on clothes and pose in them.
  • Other women shared similar experiences of receiving creepy communications on the platform.
  • The article highlights a troubling trend where men utilise Facebook Marketplace to follow women and request photos or specific scenarios related to the items for sale.
If you've experienced similar issues or have tips on how to stay safe while using online marketplaces, we encourage you to share your stories and advice in the comments below.

Sponsored
This is the state of play these days - no respect for anyone let alone a mere female. Until some action is taken to start vetting content offered online, the violence offered by society is only going to get worse.

Reactions: gamiry
I have never joined Facebook.My daughter asked me to join long time ago and i said....I can get myself into trouble already witbout joining that rubbish.....🤣🤣😁

Reactions: DLHM and gamiry
Decades ago, I was selling a pair of girls ice skates (via newspaper ad). I received a call from a man whose questions for info had started out innocently enough, then took a creepy turn. He obviously had a foot fetish. I think any online selling would attract many more weirdos. Not for me.