Man flees state after shocking Facebook Marketplace ordeal

In the digital age, the convenience of online platforms like Facebook Marketplace has revolutionised how we buy and sell goods.

However, the ease of connecting with strangers over the internet comes with its risks, as one man learned it the hard way—and prompted him to leave the state altogether.

Victoria resident Julian Rivers-Smith's ordeal began with what seemed like a routine transaction.

He listed a laptop for sale on Facebook Marketplace, a platform many use to find great local deals or sell items.

However, when the buyer arrived at his home in Ascot Vale, the situation quickly escalated into a nightmare.

The buyer, who wore a face mask, attempted to deceive Rivers-Smith using a fake bank website to show he had the funds for the purchase.

compressed-pexels-pixabay-162622 (1).jpeg
Facebook Marketplace has been a go-to feature for sellers but has also evolved into a platform for scammers. Image Credit: Pexels/Pixabay

Rivers-Smith claimed that the buyer, armed with a knife, made threats and ominously stated, 'I'm telling you right now, bro, I have your address.'

The situation worsened when an accomplice joined in, wielding a metal bar to smash the windows of Rivers-Smith's car.

The gang, which fled in a Ford Falcon, left a trail of fear and a chilling promise to return.

'(It has) weighed heavy on my mind since the entire incident because obviously, they haven't been apprehended,' Rivers-Smith said.

Last December, he also experienced theft of one of his cars, allegedly by a teenager.

These incidents took a toll on him and led him to leave Victoria due to rising crime rates.

While police are investigating these matters, no arrests have been made.

'It's made me not want to live in Victoria anymore,' he added. 'I'm leaving the state literally over crime. Nothing else.'

This lack of resolution only added to the anxiety and frustration felt by Rivers-Smith and undoubtedly by others in the community who have faced similar threats.

Victoria's Chief Police Commissioner called for an urgent re-think of youth crime laws in the state, acknowledging that 'a significant issue' needs to be addressed.

The Crime Statistics Agency's data from March revealed a 10.6 per cent spike in criminal incidents recorded by Victoria Police in 2023 compared to the previous year, highlighting a growing concern for public safety.

In a related story, a 20-year-old student from Perth was stabbed in an incident also involving a Facebook Marketplace transaction. The student recalled the incident as 'crazy' and 'gruesome', with him still having nightmares about the incident.

These stories are reminders of the importance of exercising caution when engaging in transactions with strangers online.

Here are some safety tips when buying off Facebook Marketplace:
  1. Always meet in a public place, preferably during daylight hours.
  2. Bring a friend or family member along meet-ups.
  3. Avoid giving out personal information, such as your home address, until you know the buyer's intentions.
  4. Trust your instincts. If something feels off, it's okay to cancel the transaction.
  5. Use secure payment methods and be wary of buyers who insist on using unusual payment platforms.
  6. Record all communications with the buyer and note their vehicle registration number when they arrive.
Watch Julian's story here:

Source: 7News Australia/YouTube

Key Takeaways

• Ascot Vale resident Julian Rivers-Smith was met with a frightening ambush during a Facebook Marketplace sale at his home.
  • He decided to leave Victoria, citing crime for his decision to move interstate.
  • The main suspect in the crime is believed to be a teenager, and police are currently investigating the incident without having made any arrests.
  • Victoria's Chief Police Commissioner has called for urgent reforms in youth crime laws, as the state faces significant issues with criminal incidents recording a 10.6 per cent spike over the previous year.
What could be the solution for these marketplace crimes? Share your thoughts and insights in the comments section below.

Sponsored
Always alarming when they refer to you as "bro". I would have thought that the face mask would raise doubts about the legitimacy of the buyer.

I will never use Farcebook market place. I don't want strangers coming to my home at all. I trust most people as far a I can drop kick the Moon.

Reactions: DLHM