‘I thought it was a joke at first.’ American expat shocked by ‘normal’ Australian behaviour

We Aussies like to think of ourselves as laid-back – and for the most part, we are! We’re a friendly bunch who are quick to welcome newcomers into our social groups. But one thing that might come as a bit of a shock to foreigners is just how openly ‘vulnerable’ we can be with each other. This was certainly the case for one American woman who recently moved Down Under.

Brit, an expat from the US, moved to Sydney earlier this year and said she was surprised by how physically affectionate Australians are with each other. In particular, she was struck by how unafraid Aussie men are of hugging or sharing their feelings with each other.

In a video posted on TikTok, Brit explained: ‘Australians are so physically affectionate… Like they just want to touch each other.’ Brit then says she was shocked to see Australian men hugging each other. ‘Everyone’s like “Woah, men showing affection” – they’re all like that.'

C0dvEMJ-7Gu1xjKu7GUaQ9lXRE82uAQsp2Ct0J7Qub8uHq8Qhwsld1ZvQBpwwRlftiZimebpTOWsjPOhiUDw4cDrWUVeWiUfJ1UZHMdPydaB3QUAVDfqnKjr7Jg--LgtJWYVjOX6fkgu_96cfn_0W0KONM2sUNdEQpA4BcdRTp3PTEJuGpaq6iB4uw

Brit expressed her shock when she learned about the term ‘D and M’. Credit: Daily Mail.

Brit’s bewilderment only grew when her Aussie boyfriend got sunburnt all over his body, and he told her he was worried about his male friends and co-workers hugging or pushing him around. 'I was like “At work? Can you imagine in America if a bunch of dudes were touching each other at work? F***ing lawsuits left and right!’ She remarked.

‘Here though everybody's hugging me [and] everybody's touching me – they just love touching each other,' Brit said as she ended the video.

In a separate TikTok, Brit said she thinks Australians – in general – are more vulnerable with other people. ‘For example,’ she started, ‘There’s an Australian thing, I think it’s Australian, where you say “Oh, we were just having a D and M”, which is a deep and meaningful conversation.’ Brit smiles as she explains she thought that was the cutest thing ever.

7hQqgRCo6n34ORBWPrpj110DFfQtDrQ8oo-gjxu4tui2Y8rWhyU_g0StGnYpaZ6qg4Zvn-Gv_NNbuY1WNPD70z_mhvkk2UVdy5qY87YbwGaKJcIKD7EfHRHHFpaXiAI8gZ1nDoYqiWZBi55l5j6o2vEbRxGzKwBEFh40syJTnwUgiFz5WTxlFq4nhQ

Brit admits she doesn’t hug her friends or family back home, so she’s adjusting to her new social environment. Credit: @britsreachedanewhigh on Instagram.

Both of her videos have garnered a combined 567,400 views online and drew in hundreds of comments. Most of them came from Australians who grew amused at Brit’s new revelations. Even the official TikTok of Queensland, Australia commented ‘Always here for a DnM’ on her video.

Another user commented that they didn’t know being touchy-feely with each other wasn’t normal. Brit responded by saying, ‘It’s very cute’. One person also said, ‘I thought the world did this but in some other way.’ Apparently, the rest of the world is missing out on casual hugs from their mates!

A woman also commented: ‘I literally have had dnm’s with people I’ve just met in the smokos at pubs. It’s genuinely so nice being able to have real conversations with people.’ And you know what? We agree. Being vulnerable with other people helps deepen connections, so don’t be afraid to start a D and M with your friends or even strangers every now and again!

Well, dear members, what do you think of this story? Do you greet your friends and family with hugs too? Would you agree and say we are quite an affectionate lot? We’d love to hear from you in the comments below!

Sponsored
I hug everyone !! The first thing my 23 year old son does is hug me as soon as he comes home.

My boys all hug their friends although it's sort of a half hug with a pat on the back.

There was an elderly lady who lost her phone in the shopping centre today, I asked how I could help her , lucky she had a little book in her bag with her daughters number .

Turns out the lady was deaf , we called her daughter who came straight away.

Phone was never found

I had to hug her , she looked very sad.

I think it's funny how people try to talk like Aussies I could feel this with Britt Or was it just me

Update she found her phone it was in her car , her lovely daughter just called me.

Last edited:
We Aussies like to think of ourselves as laid-back – and for the most part, we are! We’re a friendly bunch who are quick to welcome newcomers into our social groups. But one thing that might come as a bit of a shock to foreigners is just how openly ‘vulnerable’ we can be with each other. This was certainly the case for one American woman who recently moved Down Under.

Brit, an expat from the US, moved to Sydney earlier this year and said she was surprised by how physically affectionate Australians are with each other. In particular, she was struck by how unafraid Aussie men are of hugging or sharing their feelings with each other.

In a video posted on TikTok, Brit explained: ‘Australians are so physically affectionate… Like they just want to touch each other.’ Brit then says she was shocked to see Australian men hugging each other. ‘Everyone’s like “Woah, men showing affection” – they’re all like that.'

C0dvEMJ-7Gu1xjKu7GUaQ9lXRE82uAQsp2Ct0J7Qub8uHq8Qhwsld1ZvQBpwwRlftiZimebpTOWsjPOhiUDw4cDrWUVeWiUfJ1UZHMdPydaB3QUAVDfqnKjr7Jg--LgtJWYVjOX6fkgu_96cfn_0W0KONM2sUNdEQpA4BcdRTp3PTEJuGpaq6iB4uw

Brit expressed her shock when she learned about the term ‘D and M’. Credit: Daily Mail.

Brit’s bewilderment only grew when her Aussie boyfriend got sunburnt all over his body, and he told her he was worried about his male friends and co-workers hugging or pushing him around. 'I was like “At work? Can you imagine in America if a bunch of dudes were touching each other at work? F***ing lawsuits left and right!’ She remarked.

‘Here though everybody's hugging me [and] everybody's touching me – they just love touching each other,' Brit said as she ended the video.

In a separate TikTok, Brit said she thinks Australians – in general – are more vulnerable with other people. ‘For example,’ she started, ‘There’s an Australian thing, I think it’s Australian, where you say “Oh, we were just having a D and M”, which is a deep and meaningful conversation.’ Brit smiles as she explains she thought that was the cutest thing ever.

7hQqgRCo6n34ORBWPrpj110DFfQtDrQ8oo-gjxu4tui2Y8rWhyU_g0StGnYpaZ6qg4Zvn-Gv_NNbuY1WNPD70z_mhvkk2UVdy5qY87YbwGaKJcIKD7EfHRHHFpaXiAI8gZ1nDoYqiWZBi55l5j6o2vEbRxGzKwBEFh40syJTnwUgiFz5WTxlFq4nhQ

Brit admits she doesn’t hug her friends or family back home, so she’s adjusting to her new social environment. Credit: @britsreachedanewhigh on Instagram.

Both of her videos have garnered a combined 567,400 views online and drew in hundreds of comments. Most of them came from Australians who grew amused at Brit’s new revelations. Even the official TikTok of Queensland, Australia commented ‘Always here for a DnM’ on her video.

Another user commented that they didn’t know being touchy-feely with each other wasn’t normal. Brit responded by saying, ‘It’s very cute’. One person also said, ‘I thought the world did this but in some other way.’ Apparently, the rest of the world is missing out on casual hugs from their mates!

A woman also commented: ‘I literally have had dnm’s with people I’ve just met in the smokos at pubs. It’s genuinely so nice being able to have real conversations with people.’ And you know what? We agree. Being vulnerable with other people helps deepen connections, so don’t be afraid to start a D and M with your friends or even strangers every now and again!

Well, dear members, what do you think of this story? Do you greet your friends and family with hugs too? Would you agree and say we are quite an affectionate lot? We’d love to hear from you in the comments below!
I am of Italian descent and always hug my family members and close friends, whatever nationality they may be.

Reactions: Zoya and Ricci
All my children, (sons and Daughters) Grandsons, and granddaughters as well Hug me! and I am very happy to be able to say this is a good thing. For far too many years it seemed unthinkable for men to hug each other, but now its the Norm, footballers' cricketer's Fathers, and sons and just great friends do it all the time this is the world we, as children, should have been able to share but were never allowed to do, as it was considered unmanly, well now it is the done thing and I for one send hugs to all our wonderful female, and Male Members.

I am a Brit I have always hugged everyone I met, my husband a Australian never seen him hug anyone very rare he hugs me tells me it’s not what Aussie do lol

I am a Brit I have always hugged everyone I met, my husband a Australian never seen him hug anyone very rare he hugs me tells me it’s not what Aussie do lol
Older Australians no but men from around 50 and under do. I believe it did start from footy and cricket 🏏 My son turned 40 this year all his friends hug as well as his 4 brothers under him as does all my son inlaws

As far as I've seen it's only sports people who hug each other normal people certainly don't, I always wonder about the ones who do

I hugged a friend i had not seen for a while openly in a Shopping Centre, tell me what is wrong with that?