Yuck: Removing (and Preventing!) Maggots from your Wheelie Bins

Every Aussie household has the classic green, red, and yellow wheelie bins sequestered somewhere in the yard. Depending on where you live, you probably have one bin for recycling, another bin for general waste, and maybe even a third one for green / food waste.

While rubbish is collected and removed from these bins weekly, most homeowners actually forget to clean their wheelie bins on a regular schedule.

We get it, washing a wheelie bin can be a smelly and nasty job, but doing it regularly and properly is still important.

Neglecting to clean your outdoor bins can mean dealing with flies and maggots further down the line, just like what happened to this mum from Queensland.

Sharing on the popular Facebook group Cleaning & Organising Inspiration Australia, one mum from Queensland revealed that she was already at her wit's end trying to deal with a serious maggot infestation in her wheelie bin.

She posted a photo (not actually hers) of the maggot situation, showing hundreds of the little insects crawling around inside of a wheelie bin.

The mum said she had already tried spraying her bin with fly spray to ward off the maggots but to no avail. So she asked fellow homeowners: "I want to know how I can stop these horrible creatures taking over my wheels bin!"

Hundreds of users on Facebook quickly offered their advice (and sympathy) to the mum, telling her that she's not alone in her predicament.

"This is what our bin looks like," one user admitted, with a second one adding: "I live in Darwin and my bin gets like this no matter how much I clean it."

oVVCxd688nCMXHJjjI5TChSX0gkKOWucUV94SlS8ZN7hDk8AVjqrt915BGPV17FUqCuMkd4MXtb1tfz0FADH6FVaIWL2JqBHJSNkMcgteBLDJdA-Wz3F3FvXAjX5Ib-02iqJecSBA3ssAv3CcQ

A Queensland mum asked for help on social media regarding the maggots infesting her bin. Credit: Facebook.

According to the folks at Wheelie Bin Solutions, to get rid of maggots in your bin, here are the steps to follow:
  1. First, put on a face mask, protective gloves and goggles before you work on your bin.
  2. Then empty your bin of rubbish.
  3. After that, pour boiling water (be careful, members!) to instantly kill the maggots.
  4. Once the maggots are killed, disinfect your bin using bleach to destroy any remaining eggs. (Remember to check beforehand that the bleach is safe to use on your specific bin type, as you don’t want to cause more problems by fixing this one!)
  5. Once your bin is properly disinfected, give it a thorough wash or contact professionals to wash your bins for you.
If you're not sure where to start when it comes to cleaning your bins, this video below might help:

Credit: Heads of Estate & Renovation.

To prevent future maggot infestations in your waste bin, here are some tips:
  • Always keep your bin lid closed
  • Make sure to get your bin emptied regularly (especially if it's a food waste bin)
  • Make sure you always wrap meat and fish up in something appropriate before placing it in the food waste bin
  • You could try using fly traps or spray in and around your bin to prevent flies from laying eggs
Do you have more maggot prevention tips to share with us, members? Let us know in the comments!

Sponsored
Yuck: Removing (and Preventing!) Maggots from your Wheelie Bins

Every Aussie household has the classic green, red, and yellow wheelie bins sequestered somewhere in the yard. Depending on where you live, you probably have one bin for recycling, another bin for general waste, and maybe even a third one for green / food waste.

While rubbish is collected and removed from these bins weekly, most homeowners actually forget to clean their wheelie bins on a regular schedule.

We get it, washing a wheelie bin can be a smelly and nasty job, but doing it regularly and properly is still important.

Neglecting to clean your outdoor bins can mean dealing with flies and maggots further down the line, just like what happened to this mum from Queensland.

Sharing on the popular Facebook group Cleaning & Organising Inspiration Australia, one mum from Queensland revealed that she was already at her wit's end trying to deal with a serious maggot infestation in her wheelie bin.

She posted a photo (not actually hers) of the maggot situation, showing hundreds of the little insects crawling around inside of a wheelie bin.

The mum said she had already tried spraying her bin with fly spray to ward off the maggots but to no avail. So she asked fellow homeowners: "I want to know how I can stop these horrible creatures taking over my wheels bin!"

Hundreds of users on Facebook quickly offered their advice (and sympathy) to the mum, telling her that she's not alone in her predicament.

"This is what our bin looks like," one user admitted, with a second one adding: "I live in Darwin and my bin gets like this no matter how much I clean it."

oVVCxd688nCMXHJjjI5TChSX0gkKOWucUV94SlS8ZN7hDk8AVjqrt915BGPV17FUqCuMkd4MXtb1tfz0FADH6FVaIWL2JqBHJSNkMcgteBLDJdA-Wz3F3FvXAjX5Ib-02iqJecSBA3ssAv3CcQ

A Queensland mum asked for help on social media regarding the maggots infesting her bin. Credit: Facebook.

According to the folks at Wheelie Bin Solutions, to get rid of maggots in your bin, here are the steps to follow:
  1. First, put on a face mask, protective gloves and goggles before you work on your bin.
  3. After that, pour boiling water (be careful, members!) to instantly kill the maggots.
  4. Once the maggots are killed, disinfect your bin using bleach to destroy any remaining eggs. (Remember to check beforehand that the bleach is safe to use on your specific bin type, as you don’t want to cause more problems by fixing this one!)
  5. Once your bin is properly disinfected, give it a thorough wash or contact professionals to wash your bins for you.
If you're not sure where to start when it comes to cleaning your bins, this video below might help:

• Make sure to get your bin emptied regularly (especially if it's a food waste bin)
  • Make sure you always wrap meat and fish up in something appropriate before placing it in the food waste bin
  • You could try using fly traps or spray in and around your bin to prevent

• flies from laying eggs
Do you have more maggot prevention tips to share with us, members? Let us know in the comments!
I find by hanging moth balls in your bin helps prevent them as well

Reactions: Ricci and KatKop
I keep my meat scraps in the freezer until wheelie bin collection day. Frozen meat scraps are wrapped in newspaper, tied in plastic bag, then into normal rubbish bin. This is done in the evening if rubbish is collected EARLY next morning or first thing in morning if collected later. Never have trouble with maggots in N QLD!

I live in a unit complex and used to clean all the bins out. Some of us use bin liners which helps the situation but some tenants are so lazy and throw anything into their own bins and the recycling bins. We have maggots in one bin in particular which I now refuse to clean. I use woolies bleach and a broom and a chux for the lid. I don't know how you educate some people, they are born lazy or couldn't be bothered. Fortunately I don't live near the bin area and they do, so they can live with the smell, unkind I know, but I don't know how you get through to these type of people who won't help in any way.:cry:

Good morning, I too was having a problem with flies and maggots in my green waste bin. I went to my favourite store Bunnings, and purchased an item called ‘Bin Kill’. It comes with a cable tie to attach it to the bin with it hanging inside. It emits a citrus type scent as well which deodorises the bin. Lasts for three months. Only $9:50. It’s in aisle 101 right where the new rubbish bins are if all Bunnings stores are the same.

Reactions: SBC and Ricci
Simple solution use a bin bag to place your scraps etc in and tie it up before placing in bin. Surely even with a large family the actual food waste would only use two bin bags. The tins bottles cardboard etc goes in other bin and greens etc in green bin. Just a hose out and a bit of bleach or disinfectant after bins emptied keeps them clean.

We have a habit of freezing meat and seafood scraps and they go in the bin just before putting it out and we have never had a problem with maggots and the bin doesn't tend to stink, also we wrap any veggie scraps that don't go into compost.

Reactions: Ricci and Peppa
Luckily I no longer have this problem. I live in an over 50's lifestyle village, individual bins aren't used, instead we have rubbish skips littered throughout the village. The skips are changed twice a week before any problems arise. :)

Reactions: Liz
I keep my meat scraps in the freezer until wheelie bin collection day. Frozen meat scraps are wrapped in newspaper, tied in plastic bag, then into normal rubbish bin. This is done in the evening if rubbish is collected EARLY next morning or first thing in morning if collected later. Never have trouble with maggots in N QLD!
I also keep meat and any other scraps which will attract flies in the freezer til the night before the bins are collected. I wrap them all in paper or paper bags so I'm not adding more plastic to the environment. Never have a maggot problem. Lots of small paper bundles can be poked in anywhere in the freezer and easily found.

Reactions: Ricci
So do we, Sal719. After every meal if there are any scraps including raw meat/fat from preparing the meal, it goes straight into the freezer and the plastic or paper it’s wrapped in gets put into the bin the night before or morning of collection. If we’ve had milk in cartons during the week they get used in the freezer for scraps. No smell, no creepy crawlies to deal with. Just need to rinse out the dusty bin occasionally, and problem solved.

• You could try using fly traps or spray in and around your bin to prevent flies from laying eggs

I tip a small bag of kitty litter into an empty bin then put the rubbish in the bin. It takes all odours and drips from your rubbish