You've Been Using Your Dishwasher All Wrong! See the Expert Method That Has Everyone Arguing About Plates!

In the age of modern conveniences, dishwashers have become a staple in many Australian homes, particularly for those in their golden years who appreciate the ease and efficiency they bring to daily chores. But there's a bit of a kerfuffle brewing over the proper way to use these handy kitchen appliances, and it's all thanks to a piece of advice from an appliance expert that has sparked a fierce debate among the clean-dish connoisseurs of the internet.

The controversy began when a video was posted on TikTok by Ontario-based TA Appliances & Barbecues, where an employee shared a tip that goes against the grain of common dishwashing practices. The expert suggested that dishwasher users should not fully rinse their plates before loading them into the machine. Instead, they recommended just scraping off the food and leaving some particles behind. 'The detergent needs something to bind to on your dishes, so you'll actually get a cleaner result with just scraping them and leaving a little bit of the food particles on the dishes,' he explained in the clip.

This advice, however, was met with mixed reactions. Several commenters on TikTok were quick to disagree, with some suggesting that the tip was nothing more than a sales tactic. Others shared their personal experiences, claiming that not rinsing plates fully led to less-than-stellar cleaning results and even caused their dishwashers to emit unpleasant odours. 'Tried it, when we got a new dishwasher…didn't work and the high heat made the food particles stick even more,' one user lamented. Another expressed concern about a smelly dishwasher, asking, 'How do you get your dishwasher to not smell like rotting food? Because if I don't rinse them, my dishwasher smells like it's dying.'

1724994184179.png
A social media user caused debate by suggesting not fully rinsing plates before using the dishwasher for better cleaning. Credit: TikTok

Despite the backlash, TA Appliances & Barbecues stood their ground, engaging with critics and defending their position. They argued that misleading customers would ultimately harm their reputation and sales. 'You're smart consumers. You'll see right through it,' they responded to one sceptic. They also reminded users that regardless of pre-wash practices, regular cleaning and maintenance of the dishwasher itself are essential to prevent odours and ensure optimal performance.

Interestingly, this isn't an isolated opinion. Other dishwashing experts have echoed similar sentiments. Ronnie Kendrick, founder of CompanyClean, told The Spruce, 'You won't need to pre-rinse if you're properly removing food beforehand.' He emphasised that large food particles can clog the dishwasher’s filter, so scraping off big bits is a good practice. Morgan Eberhard, a senior scientist for Procter & Gamble, also supported the scraping method, noting that it's best for 'proper loading' and that soil and grease can be left on the plate if necessary.

So, what does this mean for our savvy seniors who have been through the wringer of household chores and have seen technologies evolve over the decades? It's a reminder that sometimes, the old ways of doing things (like pre-rinsing every dish to perfection) may not always be the best with modern appliances. It also highlights the importance of understanding how our appliances work to get the most out of them.

Before you change your dishwashing routine, consider the model and age of your dishwasher, the type of detergent you use, and the hardness of your water, as these factors can all influence the cleaning process. And remember, if you're ever in doubt, consult your dishwasher's manual or reach out to the manufacturer for the best practices specific to your model.

Key Takeaways
  • An appliance expert on TikTok sparked debate by advising not to fully rinse plates before placing them in a dishwasher, stating that detergent needs something to bind to for a cleaner result.
  • Some users disagreed with the advice, sharing that not rinsing the dishes resulted in stuck-on food particles and bad odours in the dishwasher.
  • TA Appliances & Barbecues defended the advice by explaining the importance of maintaining the dishwasher’s cleanliness and that misleading customers would harm their reputation and sales.
  • Other cleaning experts, including CompanyClean founder Ronnie Kendrick and Procter & Gamble senior scientist Morgan Eberhard, support scraping off food instead of pre-rinsing dishes before putting them in the dishwasher for optimal cleaning.
Now, we'd love to hear from you, our dear members. Have you tried the scraping method? Do you swear by pre-rinsing? Or have you found a different dishwashing hack that keeps your plates pristine without the fuss? Share your experiences and tips in the comments below, and let's see if we can settle this plate debate once and for all!

Sponsored
I don't waste time or water rinsing plates before putting them in the dishwasher.
Removing debris does not require water ... just a bit of a scrape with the right tool is enough for me.
Also, I regularly descale the machine after checking the filter that is more often than not, free of debris.
It's horses for courses and everyone has their own way of doing things. I, personally, would never have gone to the expense of a dishwasher if I had to pre-wash. Actually, I only use the dishwasher when there is a lot to wash. If it's 2 plates and cutlery day, then I only put a tiny bit of water in the sink and do them by hand. I don't pre-wash for this process either, but do scrape.

I don't waste time or water rinsing plates before putting them in the dishwasher.
Removing debris does not require water ... just a bit of a scrape with the right tool is enough for me.
Also, I regularly descale the machine after checking the filter that is more often than not, free of debris.
It's horses for courses and everyone has their own way of doing things. I, personally, would never have gone to the expense of a dishwasher if I had to pre-wash. Actually, I only use the dishwasher when there is a lot to wash. If it's 2 plates and cutlery day, then I only put a tiny bit of water in the sink and do them by hand. I don't pre-wash for this process either, but do scrape.
Same here - BIG amount of washing only

Reactions: janj
Ok, about 20 years we purchased a dishwasher and well my wife recently passed away, but the dishwasher never was a problem to her. Never any clogging of filters, etc. We just never came to use it! :)

Reactions: janj and Joydie

That’s exactly what I do and think. There’s only two of us so I only use it when we have people to dinner. It’s not worth the effort for a couple of plates. If you rinse them you might as well dry them and it’s done!!

Reactions: janj
I recall that when dishwashers first became available as a regular household appliance, pre-rinsing was required and became common practice. Since then with technology advances in both dishwashers themselves and detergents/tablets the efficiency of dishwashers has improved by orders of magnitude. Unless the items going into the dishwasher have burned on stains or layers of grease, they will be ok without pre-rinse. In cases of burned on stains or layers of grease etc, they need more drastic treatment than a dishwasher.

Good ol’ TikTok to the rescue again. 🙄
The “expert” can say what he likes. I wouldn’t put my dishes in the dishwasher without rinsing first. I only use my dishwasher once or twice a week.