You've been brewing tea all wrong! Discover the ancient Australian method that will totally transform your tea game!

Ah, tea – that quintessentially comforting brew that has warmed the hands and hearts of Australians for generations. Whether it's a robust black tea to kickstart the morning or a soothing herbal blend to unwind in the evening, tea holds a special place in many of our lives. But what if I told you that you might have been brewing it all wrong?

Recently, a wave of interest has swept across the nation as Australians have rediscovered a 'forgotten' tradition that promises to elevate the humble act of tea-making into an art form. This ancient method, known as 'turning the teapot,' is not just about tradition; it's about unlocking the full potential of your tea leaves.

compressed-pexels-tea.jpeg
An anonymous poster shared her tea-making process online, which was backed up by tea expert Cara Chen. Image Credit: Pexels/Mykola Osmachko

The practice involves a simple yet precise ritual: after pouring boiling water into your teapot, you turn the pot clockwise three times, then anticlockwise three times. This method, which may seem like a quirky superstition at first glance, actually has roots that reach deep into history and across cultures.

A New South Wales resident sparked a lively discussion on Reddit when she shared her discovery of this 'correct way' to make tea. She had heard various reasons for the practice, ranging from 'for good luck' to 'to settle the leaves,' and 'to make the brew stronger.' Skeptical at first, she wondered if this was a genuine tradition or just a generational joke.

However, tea experts have weighed in to confirm that there's more to this ritual than meets the eye. Cara Chen, a tea connoisseur, explained to FEMAIL that the act of turning the teapot is steeped in the principles of traditional Chinese philosophy. In the Gongfu tea ceremony, for example, the direction in which the kettle is poured – anticlockwise rather than clockwise – is believed to influence the natural flow of energy (Qi) and promote harmony.

But it's not just about the spiritual aspects. The physical act of turning the teapot creates a circular current that agitates the water, ensuring that the tea leaves are evenly mixed and preventing them from clumping together. When you reverse the direction, you counteract the current, allowing the water to settle and the tea to steep without becoming over-extracted.

This practice isn't just confined to the Gongfu ceremony or to Chinese tea culture. In Australia, the billy tea ceremony – where tea is made over an open fire and the pot is swung around in a circle three times to settle the leaves – is a testament to the importance of movement in brewing. Some suggest that turning the teapot in domestic settings is a more refined adaptation of this rugged campfire tradition.

The 'turning the teapot' method has also been embraced in the UK, where it's considered an essential step in making a proper English tea. Australians living abroad have brought back this technique, adding a touch of ceremony and sophistication to their tea service when entertaining guests.

So, next time you're about to brew a pot of tea, why not give this ancient method a try? Whether you're a skeptic or a believer in the power of traditions, there's no denying that the ritual adds a layer of intention and care to the tea-making process. And who knows? You might just find that your tea tastes better for it.

Key Takeaways

• Australians have reignited interest in an ancient tradition of 'turning the teapot' to improve tea brewing.
  • The act of rotating the teapot clockwise and anticlockwise is said to bring good luck, settle leaves, and strengthen the brew.
  • A tea expert explained that the Gongfu tea ceremony, which involves an anticlockwise pour, is aligned with Chinese philosophical principles to promote harmony and Qi flow.
  • The tradition has parallels with an Aussie campfire practice of swirling billy tea to settle the leaves, and some suggest turning the teapot is a domestic adaptation of this ritual.

At the Seniors Discount Club, we're all about preserving and sharing the wisdom of the past while enjoying the comforts of the present. So, we invite you to join in on this rediscovered tradition and share your experiences. Have you tried turning the teapot? Did you notice a difference in your tea? Share your stories and let's keep the conversation brewing!

Reactions: Ezzy and Liag
Sponsored
I've been making our tea in a coffee peculator for over 40 years. Just put 1 pot or 2 cup bags in the top where the coffee granules would go, you can of course use tea leaves and you have 4 mugs or 8 cups of tea that are hot for about 2 hours.
If you read the small print it says can be used for tea :)

Another "rule" that I once heard is that you must take the teapot to the kettle, not the kettle to the teapot. This may have something to do with temperature and the water must be boiling when poured on the tea. So 99.9 degrees is not enough - must be 100 degrees.

Have been turning the teapot as long as I have been making tea, 50yrs and still do when using the old, proper tea leaves.

Reactions: Ezzy
How many people actually use loose tea leaves these days, I guarantee not many. I’ve been buying TWG Teas not cheap but hundreds of options very enjoyable teas and mostly loose leaves definitely worth the mone.

I just love an old fashioned tea leaf cuppa- not the crumbs. So much lovelier to drink. Back in the day when I lived on a farm we made tea for the workers morning and afternoon. The tea was made in the billy and milk added before we took to the paddock. By the time we arrived where they were working, the tea was sufficiently stimulated to release its full flavor - Bushells tea naturally. So lovely to drink and curiously refreshing on a hot summers day in the 40+ temperatures. Such lovely memories - and I still prefer Bushells to all the other fancy brands.

How many people actually use loose tea leaves these days, I guarantee not many. I’ve been buying TWG Teas not cheap but hundreds of options very enjoyable teas and mostly loose leaves definitely worth the mone.
My 30 something DIL uses loose leaf tea....a big surprise

I worked on the cattle industry for years, and I can tell you that Quart pot tea is the best. Always put the tea leaves in while the quart is boiling