Your mail service could be changing! What Australia Post's new proposal might mean for you

Most people have become so digitally wired that traditional methods of communication, such as the postal service, are easily forgotten.

Knowing that our typed or text messages will arrive almost instantaneously is comforting. However, there is always a unique charm in receiving a physical letter through the mail.

Though, in recent times, fewer and fewer individuals are using the traditional postal system, especially for sending letters compared to articles and parcels.

This transition in mail usage has become more pronounced over time, resulting in Australia Post incurring significantly higher costs than the profits it gains from sending out mail.

Screen Shot 2023-09-01 at 12.53.37 PM.png
Australia Post has lost considerable profits, with the blame largely resting on its letter delivery service. Credit: Shutterstock.

At a glance, the issues Australia Post faces are simple; while its parcel business revenue has remained relatively steady, there's been an immense increase in the costs of delivering letters.

The latest audited figures (FY2022-2023) published by Australia Post indicated this cost, showing a loss of $200.3 million, with an additional loss of $384 (up 50 per cent from the year before) when it comes to delivering letters.

The report also stated that the average Australian household now only receives 2.2 addressed letters a week, which is a huge drop from the 8.5 letters per week we got back in 2008.

These losses were only the post office's second since it became a self-funded government business enterprise in 1989, with their previous annual audit seeing a $55.3 million profit.

It's for this reason that Australia Post CEO and Managing Director Paul Graham submitted a government consultation to modernise the postal service, which suggested some drastic changes ahead.

'The headwinds Australia Post is facing aren't new, and it's my job along with the leadership team to transform and modernise Australia Post so it can once again be a financially sustainable business,' Mr Graham said.

One of the post office's largest costs, according to the report, is delivering letters five days a week. As a result, there's an active push from Australia Post to reduce the frequency of letter deliveries with government permission.

Overall, the group's community service obligations cost them $442 million during their most recent audit period, up 27 per cent from the year before.

While we don't yet know the full details of what changes may be implemented, it's clear that Australia Post will have to make adjustments to remain financially viable.

'If we do everything in our power to run this business well and we get a favourable regulatory response towards modernisation, I'm confident that Australia Post will return to profit,' Mr Graham added.

1693551495899.png

This comes after Australia Post raised the basic postage rate from $1.10 to $1.20 on January 3, 2023, the first increase since 2020. However, this small change is not expected to fully compensate for the substantial losses.

The profitability of the business was impacted by several unexpected factors, including increased costs of wages, severe weather events, and labour shortages. Australia Post absorbed most of the additional costs.

Australia Post also reported a decrease in parcel and services revenue, with $3.80 billion earned during the first half of FY23, a 1.6 per cent drop from the previous year.

But despite this, it's still considered a strong result in a highly competitive market, especially when considering the boost in e-commerce activity seen during the COVID-19 lockdowns.

Key Takeaways

• Australia Post has reported a loss of $200.3 million in 2022/23, only its second since it became a self-funded government enterprise in 1989.
  • While the parcel business remains healthy, the group lost $384 million delivering letters in the same period.
  • As traditional mail has decreased, Australia Post is advocating for a reduction in the frequency of letter deliveries and the modernisation of postal services.
  • Chief Executive Paul Graham said losses are not new to businesses, and he will be looking to modernise Australia Post for the future.

In a world where emails, texts, and instant messages are the norm, written letters are indeed becoming a rarity.

Members, do you remember when receiving one in the mail was a big deal? Does anyone in the community still send (or receive) letters regularly? How significant is this announcement for you? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
I do most of my mail sending and receiving through emails, it's free , it's safer and you can print it out if you really have to . And the amount of paper it saves is incredible.

The only thing I feel bad with is the job losses.

I recently sent two of my Granddaughter's a letter just so they knew what it was like to receive one

Most people have become so digitally wired that traditional methods of communication, such as the postal service, are easily forgotten.

Knowing that our typed or text messages will arrive almost instantaneously is comforting. However, there is always a unique charm in receiving a physical letter through the mail.

Though, in recent times, fewer and fewer individuals are using the traditional postal system, especially for sending letters compared to articles and parcels.

This transition in mail usage has become more pronounced over time, resulting in Australia Post incurring significantly higher costs than the profits it gains from sending out mail.

View attachment 28868
Australia Post has lost considerable profits, with the blame largely resting on its letter delivery service. Credit: Shutterstock.

At a glance, the issues Australia Post faces are simple; while its parcel business revenue has remained relatively steady, there's been an immense increase in the costs of delivering letters.

The latest audited figures (FY2022-2023) published by Australia Post indicated this cost, showing a loss of $200.3 million, with an additional loss of $384 (up 50 per cent from the year before) when it comes to delivering letters.

The report also stated that the average Australian household now only receives 2.2 addressed letters a week, which is a huge drop from the 8.5 letters per week we got back in 2008.

These losses were only the post office's second since it became a self-funded government business enterprise in 1989, with their previous annual audit seeing a $55.3 million profit.

It's for this reason that Australia Post CEO and Managing Director Paul Graham submitted a government consultation to modernise the postal service, which suggested some drastic changes ahead.

'The headwinds Australia Post is facing aren't new, and it's my job along with the leadership team to transform and modernise Australia Post so it can once again be a financially sustainable business,' Mr Graham said.

One of the post office's largest costs, according to the report, is delivering letters five days a week. As a result, there's an active push from Australia Post to reduce the frequency of letter deliveries with government permission.

Overall, the group's community service obligations cost them $442 million during their most recent audit period, up 27 per cent from the year before.

While we don't yet know the full details of what changes may be implemented, it's clear that Australia Post will have to make adjustments to remain financially viable.

'If we do everything in our power to run this business well and we get a favourable regulatory response towards modernisation, I'm confident that Australia Post will return to profit,' Mr Graham added.

This comes after Australia Post raised the basic postage rate from $1.10 to $1.20 on January 3, 2023, the first increase since 2020. However, this small change is not expected to fully compensate for the substantial losses.

The profitability of the business was impacted by several unexpected factors, including increased costs of wages, severe weather events, and labour shortages. Australia Post absorbed most of the additional costs.

Australia Post also reported a decrease in parcel and services revenue, with $3.80 billion earned during the first half of FY23, a 1.6 per cent drop from the previous year.

But despite this, it's still considered a strong result in a highly competitive market, especially when considering the boost in e-commerce activity seen during the COVID-19 lockdowns.

Key Takeaways

• Australia Post has reported a loss of $200.3 million in 2022/23, only its second since it became a self-funded government enterprise in 1989.
  • While the parcel business remains healthy, the group lost $384 million delivering letters in the same period.
  • As traditional mail has decreased, Australia Post is advocating for a reduction in the frequency of letter deliveries and the modernisation of postal services.
  • Chief Executive Paul Graham said losses are not new to businesses, and he will be looking to modernise Australia Post for the future.

In a world where emails, texts, and instant messages are the norm, written letters are indeed becoming a rarity.

Members, do you remember when receiving one in the mail was a big deal? Does anyone in the community still send (or receive) letters regularly? How significant is this announcement for you? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
well they should not have got rid of Chrstine ?/

Birthday and Christmas cards are the only mail I still send, but this is solely because I make those cards myself.

Ten years ago I used to get a lot of mail because then I had four rental properties across Australia plus my own home and there was what appeared to be an endless stream of bills and bank statements arriving by mail.

I have since sold two properties and I have changed to email for bills and access my bank statements online.

Lately, I have received just one and occasionally two letters per month. I paid $148 for my PO box in March this year and I have decided that I will not renew it next year.

Email is a fabulous way of communicating with others but not everyone has it. My much-loved 99 year-old aunt who lives in New York does not have any electronic gear. She enjoys receiving letters. I write to her about every 4 weeks. She is the only person I write letters to any more. She tells me that gets herself a cup of tea or coffee to have while she reads the letters. It's nice to know I am bringing her some happiness in her day.

I still write and get letters via Australia Post. What is to become of my favourite posties?

Reactions: Jersey Girl
Speaking of emails, my internet provider, iinet, has announced it will be ceasing its email service for customers soon. Fortunately, I have other email services to use, but I was surprised that an internet provider was pulling out of email services. Of course, there was no mention of any reduction in this provider's costs to customers, only a reduction in service. Is this another form of "shrinkflation"? I wonder how many jobs will be lost as a result of this change.

Reactions: Colette 3799

View attachment 28868

Key Takeaways

People forget that there are millions who rely on postage, I know I certainly do as I have relatives overseas that depend on postage as they are too old to learn these fan dangling mobiles and computers why can't they make them more simple with just the basics ie messages, photos and calls. Everytime they update it's a bloody headache.

Reactions: Liz and Cyberchook
Speaking of emails, my internet provider, iinet, has announced it will be ceasing its email service for customers soon. Fortunately, I have other email services to use, but I was surprised that an internet provider was pulling out of email services. Of course, there was no mention of any reduction in this provider's costs to customers, only a reduction in service. Is this another form of "shrinkflation"? I wonder how many jobs will be lost as a result of this change.
iinet is my internet provider, however, I learnt about 25 years ago, that it isn't a good idea to use the email service of your internet provider since every time you change, you need to advise everyone of your family, friends, etc, etc of your new email address.

I signed up to hotmail.com (Outlook) within a couple of years of it's start up in 1996. I also have a Gmail account, but I don't use it.

People forget that there are millions who rely on postage, I know I certainly do as I have relatives overseas that depend on postage as they are too old to learn these fan dangling mobiles and computers why can't they make them more simple with just the basics ie messages, photos and calls. Everytime they update it's a bloody headache.
Well, I don't see a problem. Those people with friends and relatives that are too old to "to learn these fan danglings mobiles and computers" can still communicate with them via mail. As yet there is no suggestion from Australia Post to cease the mail service.

Btw, what exactly is "too old"?

I have transferred to the alternative they suggested. As far as I know nothing will change so I’ll give it a go. I’ve been with iiNet for many years, we joined when the were AAPT and still have the same email address from back then. Too much trouble to go changing to one of my other email addresses with everything

View attachment 28868

Key Takeaways

I have noticed that letters take longer to arriive than packets or parcels lately. Especially if the letters are from a local address here in the Northern Rivers of NSW. I have received letters from the town I live in which take at least three week to get here whereas if I order something from a shop in, say Sydney, they take only a few days to arrive and the postage is not that expensive when you order more than one thing from the same place.

View attachment 28868

Key Takeaways

Ever since they privatised Australia Post , Australians have been screwed with increasing costs to buy a simple stamp. Privatization DOESN'T work. How much do management receive in salaries and perks? It's a disgrace.

Reactions: London Lad
Ever since they privatised Australia Post , Australians have been screwed with increasing costs to buy a simple stamp. Privatization DOESN'T work. How much do management receive in salaries and perks? It's a disgrace.
yes the days of providing a public service are long gone thanks to these so called progessive liberal govts and throw labor in as well as the privatised the commonwealth bank as it did not suit a pig farmer in his armini suits and quantas along the way they hevee all turned complete fiascos

View attachment 28868

Key Takeaways

• Chief Executive Paul Graham said losses are not new to businesses, and he will be looking to modernise Australia Post for the

Key Takeaways

The Post Office has closed at Stafford City due they said to the cost of the Lease by the owners. This is not a good excuse, seeing that it is a service to the community.

Well, I don't see a problem. Those people with friends and relatives that are too old to "to learn these fan danglings mobiles and computers" can still communicate with them via mail. As yet there is no suggestion from Australia Post to cease the mail service.

Btw, what exactly is "too old"?
I believe “ too old” is when your brain cannot comprehend this technology because many of our senior citizens probably didn’t work with mobile phones (the older ‘brick size’ which I first came across) when I got my first mobile, (And I’m only 78) electric typewriters, let alone computers.

It’s not for us to question what ‘too old’ means - each to his own with some finding the technology too hard for their brains to handle or they just don’t want to learn.

I believe “ too old” is when your brain cannot comprehend this technology because many of our senior citizens probably didn’t work with mobile phones (the older ‘brick size’ which I first came across) when I got my first mobile, (And I’m only 78) electric typewriters, let alone computers.

It’s not for us to question what ‘too old’ means - each to his own with some finding the technology too hard for their brains to handle or they just don’t want to learn.
I am an oldie, just had my 88th birthday, and I use all the various gadgets these days. I was using an old manual typewriter before the electronic type were invented and I can use a computer and mobile phone. The people who cannot use the modern techniques are usually the oldies who cannot afford to buy them. They still have perfectly good useful brains.

Reactions: Liz
I am an oldie, just had my 88th birthday, and I use all the various gadgets these days. I was using an old manual typewriter before the electronic type were invented and I can use a computer and mobile phone. The people who cannot use the modern techniques are usually the oldies who cannot afford to buy them. They still have perfectly good useful brains.
Congratulations to you - and I’m so glad to hear you have embraced new technology. I also use a computer & mobile but I’m 10 years your junior. Yep, cost comes into so much these days.