Your Guide to Smart Travel Planning: Navigating Insurance for Pre-Existing Conditions

Planning a holiday, whether domestic or international, is an exciting venture. However, for those with pre-existing medical conditions, careful consideration of travel insurance becomes paramount. Insurance providers often view these conditions as higher risk, potentially resulting in increased premiums.

Below we have some points you can consider if you are looking to purchase travel insurance.

Evaluating Eligible Conditions

When seeking travel insurance*, pre-existing medical conditions are a key consideration. Insurers analyse conditions such as heart disease, cancer, respiratory illnesses, and neurological issues. The severity of these conditions and the potential for complications or emergency medical treatment during travel can impact coverage costs. Some travel insurance providers, like InsureandGo*, consider all pre-existing medical conditions for possible cover, some at no extra charge.

Defining Pre-Existing Conditions

Pre-existing medical conditions encompass illnesses or injuries diagnosed or treated before applying for travel insurance*. This can range from chronic illnesses like diabetes to past injuries or surgeries. For example, InsureandGo* considers any diagnosed medical condition for which, in the last 5 years, you or any insured person has suffered from or has received any form of medical advice, treatment or medication, as a pre-existing medical condition.

Approval Process and Assessments

Insurers typically determine the approval of pre-existing conditions through a medical assessment. This involves evaluating the risk of potential medical expenses based on the traveller's medical history and current health status. Insurers may request details such as the date of diagnosis, past hospitalisations or surgeries, and the type of treatment or medication received. InsureandGo* streamlines this process with a quick assessment via a short online or phone questionnaire, taking only 5-10 minutes.

Holidaying couple.jpg
Get insured at a discounted rate for your next holiday! Image source: Shutterstock.

Documentation Requirements

Some insurers may require travellers with pre-existing conditions to provide a medical certificate before coverage is approved. This certificate, issued by the traveller's general physician, outlines details of the medical condition, required medications or treatment, and the potential risk of medical emergencies during travel. InsureandGo* is a travel insurance provider that doesn't require medical certificates unless a claim is made.

Physical Evaluation Practices

While physical examinations are not common, some insurers may request one for complex medical histories or high-risk pre-existing conditions. However, InsureandGo*, for example, does not require any physical evaluations during the initial policy purchase. Evaluations may be necessary later if a claim is filed.

Handling Pending Medical Tests

Disclosing information about pending medical test results when applying for travel insurance* is crucial. Insurers may delay coverage approval until the results are received, ensuring an accurate assessment of the traveller's health.

Changes in Conditions Before the Trip

If medical conditions change between purchasing the policy and the trip, travellers should promptly inform their insurer to make necessary adjustments to coverage.

If you are in doubt about any of the medical requirements, limits, or levels of cover in your travel insurance policy, ensure you read your Product Disclosure Statement properly before you purchase.

Additional Considerations

When purchasing travel insurance* for pre-existing conditions, factors beyond medical coverage come into play. Consider the type of travel, destination, coverage limits, deductibles, and any exclusions or limitations related to pre-existing conditions. Evaluate features such as trip cancellation, interruption coverage, baggage protection, and emergency travel assistance services.

If you are considering purchasing Travel Insurance, InsureandGo* is offering Seniors Discount Club members a 15% discount on their One-trip policies and a 20% discount on their Cruise policies*. Use code SDC15 in the promotional box at www.insureandgo.com.au/* or call 1300 401 177.

A note from InsureandGo:

Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance Company, Limited ABN 49 000 525 637, AFSL 240816, issues InsureandGo Travel Insurance (the insurance). For full details of the benefits, terms and conditions and exclusions that may apply please read the Product Disclosure Statement, Target Market Determination (TMD) and Financial Services Guide available on our website at https://www.insureandgo.com.au/ to decide if the insurance is right for you. Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance has appointed Europ Assistance Australia Pty Ltd, ACN 140 219 594 as its Authorised Representative (AR Number 424825) to deal with this insurance product.

*Please note, members, that this is a sponsored article. All content of ours that has an asterisk next to it means we may get a commission when you click on a link – at no cost to you! We do this to assist with the costs of running the SDC. Thank you!

Sponsored
Planning a holiday, whether domestic or international, is an exciting venture. However, for those with pre-existing medical conditions, careful consideration of travel insurance becomes paramount. Insurance providers often view these conditions as higher risk, potentially resulting in increased premiums.

Below we have some points you can consider if you are looking to purchase travel insurance.

Evaluating Eligible Conditions

When seeking travel insurance*, pre-existing medical conditions are a key consideration. Insurers analyse conditions such as heart disease, cancer, respiratory illnesses, and neurological issues. The severity of these conditions and the potential for complications or emergency medical treatment during travel can impact coverage costs. Some travel insurance providers, like InsureandGo*, consider all pre-existing medical conditions for possible cover, some at no extra charge.

Defining Pre-Existing Conditions

Pre-existing medical conditions encompass illnesses or injuries diagnosed or treated before applying for travel insurance*. This can range from chronic illnesses like diabetes to past injuries or surgeries. For example, InsureandGo* considers any diagnosed medical condition for which, in the last 5 years, you or any insured person has suffered from or has received any form of medical advice, treatment or medication, as a pre-existing medical condition.

Approval Process and Assessments

Insurers typically determine the approval of pre-existing conditions through a medical assessment. This involves evaluating the risk of potential medical expenses based on the traveller's medical history and current health status. Insurers may request details such as the date of diagnosis, past hospitalisations or surgeries, and the type of treatment or medication received. InsureandGo* streamlines this process with a quick assessment via a short online or phone questionnaire, taking only 5-10 minutes.

View attachment 37853
Get insured at a discounted rate for your next holiday! Image source: Shutterstock.

Documentation Requirements

Some insurers may require travellers with pre-existing conditions to provide a medical certificate before coverage is approved. This certificate, issued by the traveller's general physician, outlines details of the medical condition, required medications or treatment, and the potential risk of medical emergencies during travel. InsureandGo* is a travel insurance provider that doesn't require medical certificates unless a claim is made.

Physical Evaluation Practices

While physical examinations are not common, some insurers may request one for complex medical histories or high-risk pre-existing conditions. However, InsureandGo*, for example, does not require any physical evaluations during the initial policy purchase. Evaluations may be necessary later if a claim is filed.

Handling Pending Medical Tests

Disclosing information about pending medical test results when applying for travel insurance* is crucial. Insurers may delay coverage approval until the results are received, ensuring an accurate assessment of the traveller's health.

Changes in Conditions Before the Trip

If medical conditions change between purchasing the policy and the trip, travellers should promptly inform their insurer to make necessary adjustments to coverage.

If you are in doubt about any of the medical requirements, limits, or levels of cover in your travel insurance policy, ensure you read your Product Disclosure Statement properly before you purchase.

Additional Considerations

When purchasing travel insurance* for pre-existing conditions, factors beyond medical coverage come into play. Consider the type of travel, destination, coverage limits, deductibles, and any exclusions or limitations related to pre-existing conditions. Evaluate features such as trip cancellation, interruption coverage, baggage protection, and emergency travel assistance services.

If you are considering purchasing Travel Insurance, InsureandGo* is offering Seniors Discount Club members a 15% discount on their One-trip policies and a 20% discount on their Cruise policies*. Use code SDC15 in the promotional box at www.insureandgo.com.au/* or call 1300 401 177.

A note from InsureandGo:

Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance Company, Limited ABN 49 000 525 637, AFSL 240816, issues InsureandGo Travel Insurance (the insurance). For full details of the benefits, terms and conditions and exclusions that may apply please read the Product Disclosure Statement, Target Market Determination (TMD) and Financial Services Guide available on our website at https://www.insureandgo.com.au/ to decide if the insurance is right for you. Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance has appointed Europ Assistance Australia Pty Ltd, ACN 140 219 594 as its Authorised Representative (AR Number 424825) to deal with this insurance product.

*Please note, members, that this is a sponsored article. All content of ours that has an asterisk next to it means we may get a commission when you click on a link – at no cost to you! We do this to assist with the costs of running the SDC. Thank you!
What you have not listed is the "cut off age" - this means that so many healthy older people who love to travel, struggle to find a policy that will cover them for travel insurance.
I am in my 80's and have no 'pre-existing' medical conditions and have searched out many companies for travel insurance, until I have found two that will not only cover me, but enable me to have annual travel insurance! My annual travel insurance (excluding USA) was under $1750, and so far for 2024, I have 8 booked trips - including cruises - meaning that I will be away just on 100 days.
My husband who is 86, is healthy, but had a pacemaker inserted over 20 years ago (checked every 6 months) as his heart beat was considered TOO LOW is denied cover if I disclose this.
So I don't.

Reactions: Ezzy
What you have not listed is the "cut off age" - this means that so many healthy older people who love to travel, struggle to find a policy that will cover them for travel insurance.
I am in my 80's and have no 'pre-existing' medical conditions and have searched out many companies for travel insurance, until I have found two that will not only cover me, but enable me to have annual travel insurance! My annual travel insurance (excluding USA) was under $1750, and so far for 2024, I have 8 booked trips - including cruises - meaning that I will be away just on 100 days.
My husband who is 86, is healthy, but had a pacemaker inserted over 20 years ago (checked every 6 months) as his heart beat was considered TOO LOW is denied cover if I disclose this.
So I don't.
You do realise that if your husband has a medical problem while away you have no coverage !

Reactions: barbaranne and Ezzy
You do realise that if your husband has a medical problem while away you have no coverage !
Yes, we do realise this, however in 20 years he has never had any problems. And this would only apply to that part of the medical - if he fell and broke a limb, he would be covered.
So many people travel without having ever been to the doctor for a checkup, and surely they pose a greater health risk than those of us who do have regular checkups.

I have found Insure and Go very good. They are really the only one that for a price cover my partners medical conditions. Get a price online and then ring them. I did this the last time as I thought the online price was too high and over the phone it was reduced by about a third!! I was very happy.

Insureandgo only cover up to 79 for cruises and do not offer annual policies - at least two companies that I know of and have insured with do cover oner 80 and offer annual comprehensive.

You need to list the cut off age, and policy limitations if you are talkung about "seniors" travel insurance.

I have found Insure and Go very good. They are really the only one that for a price cover my partners medical conditions. Get a price online and then ring them. I did this the last time as I thought the online price was too high and over the phone it was reduced by about a third!! I was very happy.
That is good to know. Thank you!

INSURE AND GO are a very reliable company. Hubby and I travelled to the Philippines at the end of 2019 and just before the widespread expansion of Covid. Two months prior to our trip, my husband was fitted with a pacemaker. When the doctors pronounced him "fit for travel" I purchased our airline tickets and informed Insure and Go. We were asked to increase our cover with this pre-condition.

Just as well! We had two weeks of enjoyment when hubby suddenly caught pneumonia and had to be rushed to hospital. Struggling to breathe and fighting off the painful insertion of tubes down his mouth, he then suffered a heart attack. Fortunately, family were a big help as I borrowed money to cover initial and mounting expenses, while initiating contact and liaison with the Sydney office of Insure & Go via phone. As I had difficulty with the weak and intermittent wifi/phone connection between Manila and Sydney, the Manila hospital's accounting office offered to liaise for me.

They found Insure and Go to be very courteous, accommodating and helpful. ALL our medical expenses - ambulance transfer, hospital theatre and room fees, doctors' bills, x-rays, MRI, all examinations and pathology, and most medicines.

Insure and Go also upgraded our return Singapore Airlines tickets to first class as per medical advice. They even reimbursed me for the hotel-type accommodation offered at the hospital for principal family Carers for their clients. I definitely recommend travel insurance offered by Insure and Go, underwritten by Mitsui Sumitomo.
E. Wickett (Perth)

Last edited:
I attempted to get a travel insurance quote from Insure&Go but the promo code was "not known". I have since obtained travel Insurance with a different company that is also connected with Mitsui Sumitomo.

Insure and Go (away) I had a tooth extracted in Hawaii 2018 followed by a dry socket which required treatment after arrival in the west coast of US. I made a claim with Insure and go (away) and got told, read the small print which was never supplied. Yes you have paid for and are covered for full dental but we only cover sudden and accute pain from a naturally healthy tooth. As you had to have yours extracted it wasn't healthy anymore so we won't cover it or anything connected to that tooth. A letter from the dentist in Hawaii stating that the tooth was naturally healthy and was giving sudden and acute pain made no difference, A waste of $700 existing medical insurance. After I read all the small print I realised they would never have paid anyone. NO THANKS

I've been dreaming of a getaway to Costa Rica for ages now, but the whole insurance thing had me scratching my head. It's reassuring to know there are providers out there, like InsureandGo, who actually take pre-existing conditions into account without breaking the bank. And speaking of Costa Rica, did you guys know about Sagicor? Check out their https://www.sagicor.cr/, you may find it useful in the future. They're an insurance company based there, and from what I've heard, they're pretty solid. I mean, if you're planning a trip to Costa Rica, why not go local with your insurance, right?