SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
M

Maddison Dwyer

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 20, 2021
Your First Job. Does It Still Exist?

I came across this post the other day and it got me thinking, does your first job still exist? Telegram boys, lift operators, milkmen, comptometrists, typists, tea ladies, linotype operators, petrol pump attendants, tram conductors, manual switchboard operators and the lavatory man have all disappeared as jobs since the 1950s. The world has changed so drastically, some for good, others not so much. So I’d love to hear from you, does your first job still exist?

Screenshot 2023-01-09 at 3.59.57 pm.png
Does your first job still exist? Image source: australiarememberwhen.net.au

Reactions: paulamc52 and Disee
My first job was part-time before school delivering ice. Refrigerators put an end to that.
My first full-time job was calculating and sending out renewal notices for car insurance at the GIO. I met my future wife there. I did the calculating and she typed them. Computers do both of those now.

My first job was Darrell Lea chocolate's working in stores selling chocolate's, licorice and later icecream cones.

while working you could eat what ever you wanted to and you could take home 1 box of chocolates aweek.

All stores are now closed and goods are sold through supermarkets.

Ashame it was priceless seeing the excitement on all the kids faces coming into a chocolate and lolly shop and even some adults faces

My first paid job was "white washing" post and rail fencing on a horse stud for $5 a day when I was 12yo. So yes technically the job still applies today.

Then, I worked as a farm hand on a mushroom farm. Still technically a job that applies today.

Then I got a job as a Telegram boy ( yes that was the job description name). I was the last one in my area, when Telegrams were ceased.

I was the telex machine operator and sent citrus formulations and other detailed communications to sunkist in California. I also operated a flick switch telephone switchboard transferring all incoming calls as there was no direct dial. Last but no least I was the ‘tea’ girl delivering the managers their morning tea from a trolley. Made the mistake of beating their cups with boiling water first and placing the saucer on top so their tea arrived hot which meant they continued to want my service when it should have been handed to the next newcomer

I came across this post the other day and it got me thinking, does your first job still exist? Telegram boys, lift operators, milkmen, comptometrists, typists, tea ladies, linotype operators, petrol pump attendants, tram conductors, manual switchboard operators and the lavatory man have all disappeared as jobs since the 1950s. The world has changed so drastically, some for good, others not so much. So I’d love to hear from you, does your first job still exist?

View attachment 11398

View attachment 11398

My first job at 14 didn’t sound unusual until you did it. Shop girl then at Reid’s of Prahran but I was titled a stocking sorter. They had a huge stocking department and as they came in I sorted them into their different components, mind numbingly boring.

My first job was at a wholesale grocery and gift store. I and others would work in the office calculating the invoices on a device ( an ancient calculator). You had to turn the handle on the side and boy you had to do it real quick! Now the company is non existent and computers are used.

My first job was in a clothing factory, standing at a table all day, cutting off the threads left by the sewing machines. Then turning the skivvies, t shirts in the right way to send to the folders and packers. My wage was $14 a week. My sister was a folder and packer, she was so good at it that the boss paid her a weekly bonus of $5, that was almost a 50% bonus on her weekly wage which was so good back then. I did this job for 12 months until I turned 17 and was old enough to start my nurses training. I don’t think there are many clothing factory jobs still around in Australia today, and judging by the threads on clothes I buy no one is employed to cut off the leftover threads anymore.

View attachment 11398

No, I was a Stenographer/Secretary in the 60s, loved the job. Now I'd love the benefits of better copying, computer typing, etc, though miss that era, eg no bitching between workmates as happens sometimes now days, oh how I miss those days!

View attachment 11398

my first job was in a small bicycle repair shop, long since gone. my second job was at a tweed mill that was later remodeled into a block of units for the elderly. all the jobs I had between 1957 and 1970 have all gone, I wonder if it was me

No, my first job doesn't exist anymore I was a messenger boy in the Port Kembla steel works in 1971 delivering mail and schedules to the production units with the advent of computer generated schedules and email that job was ended in the early 1980's

IN January 1960, I began a 5-year apprenticeship in the printing industry, as a Commercial Hand Typographer (typesetting by hand), and proofreader. Over the coming years, the industry changed dramatically, and my job and many others ceased to exist.

My first job was a hand sewer at Norman Hartnell's (the Queen's Dressmaker) Now the royals buy direct from the larger design houses so no I don't think my job would still exist.
My wedding dress was made and designed by a lady who used to work for Norman Hartnell (I've still got it 56 years later)