Your favourite wine could disappear soon as major Dan Murphy’s supplier faces crisis

The Australian wine industry is facing a significant shake-up as Salena Estate Wines, a major supplier to popular liquor chains Dan Murphy’s and Liquorland, enters voluntary administration.

This development comes nearly a year after the South Australian wine producer attempted to find a buyer, signalling potential trouble in the vineyards.

Salena Estate Wines, a family-owned winery located in the Riverland region, was appointed KPMG administrators Tim Mableson and Ryan Eagle last Thursday, February 22.

The winery, along with its extensive vineyard, much of which is certified organic, was listed for sale in April last year.

Screenshot 2024-02-27 073741.png
Salena Estate Wines has entered voluntary administration. Image source: Salena Estate Wines/Facebook

The sale included the estate’s cellar door, restaurant, bottling line, office, warehouse, laboratory, and bulk wine storage facilities.

The first meeting with creditors is scheduled for Tuesday, February 27, at the Berri Hotel, where further action will be discussed.

The outcome of this meeting could have significant implications for the Australian wine market, particularly for fans of the wines stocked at Dan Murphy’s and Liquorland.

The Riverland region is a powerhouse in the Australian wine industry, responsible for a significant portion of the wine exported to international markets.

Salena Estate Wines is no small player, producing an average of 15,000 tonnes of wine annually and exporting to 10 different countries.

424918464_984487266619427_5889813964848685292_n.jpg
Salena Estate Wines produces an average of 15,000 tonnes of wine annually. Image source: Salena Estate Wines/Facebook

In 2020, China was the largest export market for Australian bottled wine in terms of value and the second largest in terms of volume, according to the Department of Agriculture.

However, the introduction of a punitive tariff on Australian wine by China in 2021 likely impacted the profitability of Salena Estate Wines. This blow was followed by devastating floods in the region the following year, which crippled the harvest.

The winery has been owned by Bob and Sylvia Franchitto since 1998 and was named after their daughter.

In addition to producing its own wines, Salena Estate also offers bespoke bottling and bulk wine services locally. The 191-hectare winery is currently for sale via negotiations with commercial property sellers Colliers.

The future of Salena Estate Wines is uncertain. The meeting with creditors will likely determine the winery's fate.

KMPG has yet to release a statement about the voluntary administration.
Key Takeaways
  • Major South Australian wine producer, Salena Estate Wines, has gone into voluntary administration.
  • Administrators from KPMG have been appointed and are set to meet with creditors to discuss the situation.
  • The challenges faced by Salena Estate Wines may include the punitive Chinese tariffs on Australian wine and regional floods affecting harvests.
  • The family-owned winery, prominent in the Riverland region, is also up for sale with commercial property sellers Colliers managing the negotiations.
What are your thoughts on this, members? Do you have a favourite wine from Salena Estate Wines? Let us know in the comments below.

• Sad
Reactions: Julie1946 and Ezzy
Sponsored
Goodness me children, this is supposed to be a friendly forum full of helpful advice and news. Who cares? I found the article interesting as I was unaware that this Winery supplied Dan Murphy's and Liquorland. Now I have been enlightened I can go back to sleep!

Why are so many of you being so rude with your comments? If anyone wants to use a $20 bottle or a $200 bottle that is their prerogative. It is no one else's business. I personally do not cook with or drink wine unless it is a sweet one (you can laugh or comment here about my preference) but that is absolutely MY CHOICE and no one else's business.

Stop this bickering and making others feel like they are doing something wrong just because that is not the way you do things. There are more important things in life we all need to consider besides what someone else does, buys or wants.

Glorified alcoholic vinegar....the whole lot of it. The only wine worth drinking is a good port.
Come on, Veggiepatch! Each to his own with taste. I don't particularly enjoy port but will sip a small amount once in a very blue moon.

I cannot stomach the dry or hot taste of many wines, and spirits, in my own mouth and throat, so I hardly have any vices with regard to wines. I mainly drink the sweet dessert wines or rum and coke and, believe it or not, I also like whiskey WITH LEMONADE NOT SODA but then that is my choice.

Reactions: Veggiepatch