Your favourite chocolate bars are about to be revamped

Chocolate lovers rejoice because your beloved sweet treat is about to be more sustainable!

Mars Wrigley, the company behind some of the world's most popular chocolate bars such as Snickers, Milky Way, and Mars, has announced that it will be wrapping its products in recyclable paper-based packaging.

The major change that makes the wrappers kerbside recyclable is expected to start hitting store shelves in April 2023, when current stocks (using the old wrapper) are projected to sell out.

By 2025, all chocolates from the company are expected to be wrapped in recyclable material.

The company shared that the development comes after extensive research and trials worth $2.5 million on the packaging that would provide optimum storage and preservation of the chocolates.

‘We're very confident that our new paper packaging material maintains the exact same level of freshness and quality that our consumers expect,’ said Chris Hutton, Research and Development Director at Mars Wrigley.

Screenshot_4.png
The new paper-based packaging is said to hit shelves in mid-2023 in Australia. Credit: YouTube/Food Network

‘There will be some increased costs associated with producing the bars in paper wrapping, but over time as we find efficiencies that will come down.’

‘None of the increased costs will be passed on to consumers.’

Australia is also the first market to see the new paper-based packaging.

This move is a massive step towards helping the environment for the company, according to Mars Wrigley General Manager Andrew Leakey.

'The transition to paper-based packaging for our locally made chocolate bars marks a significant milestone in our sustainability journey,' he said.

‘As one of the largest snacks and treats manufacturers in Australia, Mars has a responsibility to reduce our environmental footprint right across our business…’

'We wanted to ensure consumers had easy access to recycle our new paper-based packaging.'

Mars Wrigley will also get rid of around 360 tonnes of plastic from their value chain once its selection of Australia-made chocolates has fully transitioned into the recyclable packaging version.

The company is the latest in a string of manufacturers opting to be more environmentally friendly.

Screenshot_2.png
Mars Wrigley produces many well-loved chocolates and sweets. Credit: Mars Wrigley

Earlier, Cadbury and Nestlé (producer of Kit Kat) also moved to wrap their famous chocolates in recyclable material.

Soft drink company Coca-Cola also previously introduced a new form of bottle cap that encourages efficient disposal.

Mars Wrigley’s new bid to produce more recyclable packaging comes following the collapse of REDCycle over ‘unforeseen challenges’ during the pandemic.

Key Takeaways

• Mars, Snickers, and Milky Way chocolate bars will be wrapped in paper-based packaging that can be recycled via traditional kerbside recycling from 2023.
  • Mars Wrigley announced the major step forward in a world first for the company.
  • Australia is the first market Mars Wrigley is rolling out its new packaging to.
  • Mars Wrigley is also set to eliminate more than 360 tonnes of plastic from their value chain once their array of chocolates is entirely packaged in recyclable material.
In related news, shoppers are also being called out for dumping their recyclables in supermarkets despite the pauses in collection brought about by REDCycle’s collapse.

If you have time, you might want to check out this article on what to do with your recyclables until everything gets sorted out.

So, what is your reaction to this news? What more do you think can be done by big companies to lessen their environmental impact?

Share your thoughts and opinions below!

Source: YouTube/Mars, Incorporated

Sponsored
Everything done in the name of being green costs money.
We get an extra bin for recycling recyclables, then we pay for it in our rates to be collected.
They take plastic bags away from the Supermarkets, then they charge us to buy plastic bags off the shelves.
Now they are going paper wrappers on some chocolate bars, which will cost more to produce, INITIALLY. But by the time they've discover a cost effective way to produce them, the prices will have already gone up or the actual product will have shrunk.

So, not everything from our parents time was bad. We are going backwards to ensure the future! I can vaguely remember when chocolate bars were wrapped in paper and it was fine. So long as we don't have to pay for them re-tooling their machines it'll be all good. :)

Reactions: JayKay
Most of my chocolate choices come from Aldi & I buy only the Eupereon chocolate that comes in cardboard & foil. I have splurged on some Ferrero Rochers, for me as they are my all-time favourites. But my normal buy is the Choceur from Aldi any of which is worth the $2.40 or so I pay for them.

Reactions: Ricci and JayKay