Your favourite childhood lolly just got a makeover! Allen's announce MAJOR CHANGE in jelly beans recipe

Aussies love their sweets, and there's one treat in particular that has been a favourite among kids (and kids at heart) for generations: the humble jelly bean.

There's no denying that we all grew up with this lolly – one of the first ones we were allowed to have when we were young – but this popular treat just got even better...

Good news for our vegan members who adore the classic taste of Allen’s Jelly Beans – the iconic Australian sweet treat is now available in plant-based options!

Famous confectionary brand Allen’s is set to roll out their 100% vegan version of the popular treat by the end of November.

Carmine – which is a food colouring that is made by extracting a crimson extract from tiny female cochineal beetles– will no longer be used in their recipe, a win for vegans everywhere!

NE23112_allen_s_classic_jelly_beans_1kg.jpg

Food colouring derived from cochineal bugs will no longer be used in Allen's jelly beans. Credit: Allen’s.

The latest version of the beloved treat will be available with 'vegan-friendly' printed on the packaging, and fans will know to look out for a green tab on their packets.

The move was due to increasing demand from consumers who are looking for vegan options, according to an Allen’s spokesperson.

'Our fan favourite Allen’s jelly beans are now accessible for vegan lolly lovers,' said the spokesperson.

'The Allen’s lolly experts have made this possible with plant-based colouring agents derived from beetroot and paprika.'

'The move to “vegan-friendly” jelly beans will take place nationwide across grocery and convenience stores from mid-November, so look out for the “vegan-friendly” labelling on the pack.'

News of the delicious new plant-based option has gone viral on social media, with several users flocking to Allen’s Facebook page to express their excitement.

One excited vegan wrote: ‘It is great to see Nestle realising that by simply swapping the carmine for a vegan-friendly colouring, they can market a new product to the vegan community.'

'Hopefully, we will start to see more and more products where carmine is the only barrier to the product being vegan becoming “vegan-friendly” in the future.'

Many vegan sweet tooths expressed how excited they were to try the new treat.

One user exclaimed: 'I love that they’ve changed their old recipe! As much as I love new products, I’d love to see more of this where existing products are made vegetarian or vegan-friendly by simply changing one small ingredient. Go Allen’s!'

'I’ll have 2863 packets as my Christmas present, please and thank you!' another said.

'Oh, I have missed jelly beans so much! I’ll be hunting these down,' a third chimed.

Key Takeaways

• Carmine, a food colouring made from crushing and boiling cochineal beetles, has been removed from Allen's jelly bean recipe, making the treat vegan-friendly.
  • The change is being rolled out from the middle of this month, and customers are being told to look for a green tab with 'vegan-friendly' written on the packet.
  • Fans of the change are excited that one less animal product is being used in their food and hope that this trend will continue with other products.

Are you looking forward to this new version? Also, did you know what carmine was made of? We certainly didn’t and it sure raised our eyebrows! Check out how it’s made in the video below:

Credit: YouTube/North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences

Sponsored
they can stick all the vegan garbage where the sun dont shine..... they better make sure the lettering is large on each packet of wasted food products.... if thats what you want to eat go for it But its definitely not for me...

Aussies love their sweets, and there's one treat in particular that has been a favourite among kids (and kids at heart) for generations: the humble jelly bean.

There's no denying that we all grew up with this lolly – one of the first ones we were allowed to have when we were young – but this popular treat just got even better...

Good news for our vegan members who adore the classic taste of Allen’s Jelly Beans – the iconic Australian sweet treat is now available in plant-based options!

Famous confectionary brand Allen’s is set to roll out their 100% vegan version of the popular treat by the end of November.

Carmine – which is a food colouring that is made by extracting a crimson extract from tiny female cochineal beetles– will no longer be used in their recipe, a win for vegans everywhere!

Food colouring derived from cochineal bugs will no longer be used in Allen's jelly beans. Credit: Allen’s.

The latest version of the beloved treat will be available with 'vegan-friendly' printed on the packaging, and fans will know to look out for a green tab on their packets.

The move was due to increasing demand from consumers who are looking for vegan options, according to an Allen’s spokesperson.

'Our fan favourite Allen’s jelly beans are now accessible for vegan lolly lovers,' said the spokesperson.

'The Allen’s lolly experts have made this possible with plant-based colouring agents derived from beetroot and paprika.'

'The move to “vegan-friendly” jelly beans will take place nationwide across grocery and convenience stores from mid-November, so look out for the “vegan-friendly” labelling on the pack.'

News of the delicious new plant-based option has gone viral on social media, with several users flocking to Allen’s Facebook page to express their excitement.

One excited vegan wrote: ‘It is great to see Nestle realising that by simply swapping the carmine for a vegan-friendly colouring, they can market a new product to the vegan community.'

'Hopefully, we will start to see more and more products where carmine is the only barrier to the product being vegan becoming “vegan-friendly” in the future.'

One user exclaimed: 'I love that they’ve changed their old recipe! As much as I love new products, I’d love to see more of this where existing products are made vegetarian or vegan-friendly by simply changing one small ingredient. Go Allen’s!'

'I’ll have 2863 packets as my Christmas present, please and thank you!' another said.

'Oh, I have missed jelly beans so much! I’ll be hunting these down,' a third chimed.

Key Takeaways

• Carmine, a food colouring made from crushing and boiling cochineal beetles, has been removed from Allen's jelly bean recipe, making the treat vegan-friendly.
  • The change is being rolled out from the middle of this month, and customers are being told to look for a green tab with 'vegan-friendly' written on the packet.
  • Fans of the change are excited that one less animal product is being used in their food and hope that this trend will continue with other products.

Are you looking forward to this new version? Also, did you know what carmine was made of? We certainly didn’t and it sure raised our eyebrows! Check out how it’s made in the video below:

Beam me up Scotty! This planet gone crazy!

Ahhh, jelly beans, the health food of the nation!
Hope Father Christmas brings me some for Christmas, just one bag would be so special.
In 1969, Bob Hawke became the President of the Australian Council of Trade Unions.
Around the early 1970's, he opened a huge store, The ACTU store in Elizabeth Street, Melbourne.
It stocked an incredible array of goods, and they sold big bags, possibly weighing 1 kilogram of black aniseed JELLY BEANS.
I was in seventh heaven, absolute necessity on my nurse's wage.

Ahhh, jelly beans, the health food of the nation!
Hope Father Christmas brings me some for Christmas, just one bag would be so special.
In 1969, Bob Hawke became the President of the Australian Council of Trade Unions.
Around the early 1970's, he opened jellybeans huge store, The ACTU store in Elizabeth Street, Melbourne.
It stocked an incredible array of goods, and they sold big bags, possibly weighing 1 kilogram of black aniseed JELLY BEANS.
I was in seventh heaven, absolute necessity on my nurse's wage.
BLACK JELLY BEANS..AWESOME! 😋😋

Not about Vegans maybe, its more about Carmine being a very dangerous additive that many, myself included, have allergic reactions to, same as brilliant blue, E133, Tartrazine, E102, Sulphites and Sulphur (Ham, bacon) preservatives
I must be the luckiest person on earth i'm 66years old and I have never had an allergic reaction to any thing

Key Takeaways

I am angry about using cochineal beetles.. this made me feel very sick to the stage I dry reached just reading this. I am so glad that they have change the recipe..

Reactions: Ricci