Your face and fingerprint might soon be your myGov password

Online scams and cybercrime are becoming frighteningly common in Australia. New figures reveal Australians have already lost a staggering $3.1 billion to scams this year alone.

To fight back against these tech-savvy thieves, the federal government has announced an upgrade to myGov security—biometric authentication using your face or fingerprint.

Government Services Minister Bill Shorten said: 'Passkeys will be introduced to bring myGov further into the 21st century, allowing Australians the ability to use biometric options such as facial recognition to access the site.'

'These important sign-in alternatives are familiar to many Australians and are a key safeguard against scammers who use phishing tactics to harvest personal information like people's date of birth to fraudulently access accounts.'

password_pixabay_dd959dae-b2f5-4243-886b-d352aff2a30b.jpeg
The Australian government will introduce passkeys for myGov accounts to try to safeguard them from scammers. Credit: Pixabay.

Recently, the government shared concerns about thousands of myGov accounts being suspended each month due to potential breaches by 'scam-in-a-box' kits sold on the dark web.

Government sources suspect that people often reuse their passwords, making it easier for scammers to access other accounts with stolen passwords.

These scam-in-a-box kits help create fake websites and provide the necessary knowledge for launching phishing attacks on accounts such as Centrelink, the Australian Tax Office, and Medicare.

Some kits even come with security controls, enabling criminals to run multiple scams simultaneously and quickly close them to avoid detection.

In certain cases, these kits can identify more IT-savvy users and redirect them to the official myGov website. The fake websites they create often closely resemble the real ones.

For instance, an advertisement encourages buyers by stating that most Australians have a myGov account. It suggests obtaining login details and ensuring the Australian Tax Office is linked to the account.

In addition to introducing biometric authentication, Shorten also revealed plans for a new advisory group aimed at prioritising customer needs within myGov.

This group, recommended after a user audit, will be led by Victor Dominello, the former NSW Minister for Customer Service and Digital Government

Joining Dominello on the panel are Ed Santow, former Human Rights Commissioner; Simon Longstaff, Executive Director at The Ethics Centre; and Karen Batt, Victorian Secretary of the Community and Public Sector Union.

'[They] bring strong, balanced and wide-ranging insights across fields such as governance, service delivery ethics, use of technology in digital service delivery and advocacy for both customers and service delivery staff,' explained Shorten.

This announcement comes after Scamwatch recently warned of a text message scam claiming to be from myGov and offering recipients $750 in 'economic support payments'.

To 'apply', users are instructed to click on a link and provide their banking details before the 'support' expires.

This is just the latest in many phishing scams aimed at unsuspecting myGov users. Experts say the large user base and sensitive personal data associated with myGov accounts make them attractive targets.

Other common myGov scams include fake 'account verification' emails and texts with links to fake login pages designed to steal usernames and passwords.

One sample of this email was sent by our member @Maurice F. last month. The email stated that the 'refund is ready' and asked the recipient to sign in by clicking the link provided. (You can read more about that story here.)

Scammers may also impersonate myGov via phone calls, asking for personal details like birth dates and addresses under the guise of 'updating records'.

Key Takeaways

• The Australian federal government has declared an overhaul of the myGov online system to introduce passkeys like face and fingerprint recognition in place of usernames and passwords in an effort to combat scams.
  • myGov accounts, which host sensitive data from Centrelink, the Australian Tax Office and Medicare, have been targeted by criminals using 'scam-in-a-box' kits, leading to billions of dollars being lost.
  • Government Services Minister Bill Shorten announced the changes as a safeguard against scammers who use phishing tactics to steal personal information.
  • Additional safety measures include the formation of an advisory group to ensure myGov prioritises customers; former Human Rights Commissioner Ed Santow, Simon Longstaff from The Ethics Centre, and Karen Batt from the Community and Public Sector Union will participate in the panel.

Members, what do you all think about the government's move to add passkeys for myGov accounts to protect against scammers?

Do you find face or fingerprint recognition more user-friendly than traditional usernames and passwords? And do you think they're more effective? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
I thought all people would know by now that they should not answer these calls and emails from the government departments. they do NOT send emails for you to click on so why are some people still not listening? I am not in agreement with having to use these new ideas as I cannot see how I would use my fingerprint on a laptop. I do not use a mobile phone unless I am out somewhere in the car and need help.

Reactions: Littleboy8
I've been getting emails from myGov almost daily for sometime now. I always delete them without opening any. Then next time I use my computer I check my myGov account - yep, never any new notifications there. Do the same for anything from the bank. Neither place will ever send a click-on link.

Question - do our finger prints stay the same? I was looking at my hands the other day and wondered if all the work/damage, burning fingers cooking etc they have done over the years, have changed them? They look more wrinkled than they used to be haha

I had my voice recognition turned off because it’s the easiest thing to hack. I used to change my accent, the way I spoke, tone of my voice and kept getting put through. I have since found out that voice recognition is the easiest thing to get through. Facial recognition can also be replicated by AI if they have a photograph of you. Unfortunately there is no completely secure way of securing your account according to the the cyber experts. It is another way of government control!!!
HaHa Love that you put voice rec. to the test!

Online scams and cybercrime are becoming frighteningly common in Australia. New figures reveal Australians have already lost a staggering $3.1 billion to scams this year alone.

To fight back against these tech-savvy thieves, the federal government has announced an upgrade to myGov security—biometric authentication using your face or fingerprint.

Government Services Minister Bill Shorten said: 'Passkeys will be introduced to bring myGov further into the 21st century, allowing Australians the ability to use biometric options such as facial recognition to access the site.'

'These important sign-in alternatives are familiar to many Australians and are a key safeguard against scammers who use phishing tactics to harvest personal information like people's date of birth to fraudulently access accounts.'

View attachment 34317
The Australian government will introduce passkeys for myGov accounts to try to safeguard them from scammers. Credit: Pixabay.

Recently, the government shared concerns about thousands of myGov accounts being suspended each month due to potential breaches by 'scam-in-a-box' kits sold on the dark web.

Government sources suspect that people often reuse their passwords, making it easier for scammers to access other accounts with stolen passwords.

These scam-in-a-box kits help create fake websites and provide the necessary knowledge for launching phishing attacks on accounts such as Centrelink, the Australian Tax Office, and Medicare.

Some kits even come with security controls, enabling criminals to run multiple scams simultaneously and quickly close them to avoid detection.

In certain cases, these kits can identify more IT-savvy users and redirect them to the official myGov website. The fake websites they create often closely resemble the real ones.

For instance, an advertisement encourages buyers by stating that most Australians have a myGov account. It suggests obtaining login details and ensuring the Australian Tax Office is linked to the account.

In addition to introducing biometric authentication, Shorten also revealed plans for a new advisory group aimed at prioritising customer needs within myGov.

This group, recommended after a user audit, will be led by Victor Dominello, the former NSW Minister for Customer Service and Digital Government

Joining Dominello on the panel are Ed Santow, former Human Rights Commissioner; Simon Longstaff, Executive Director at The Ethics Centre; and Karen Batt, Victorian Secretary of the Community and Public Sector Union.

'[They] bring strong, balanced and wide-ranging insights across fields such as governance, service delivery ethics, use of technology in digital service delivery and advocacy for both customers and service delivery staff,' explained Shorten.

This announcement comes after Scamwatch recently warned of a text message scam claiming to be from myGov and offering recipients $750 in 'economic support payments'.

To 'apply', users are instructed to click on a link and provide their banking details before the 'support' expires.

This is just the latest in many phishing scams aimed at unsuspecting myGov users. Experts say the large user base and sensitive personal data associated with myGov accounts make them attractive targets.

Other common myGov scams include fake 'account verification' emails and texts with links to fake login pages designed to steal usernames and passwords.

One sample of this email was sent by our member @Maurice F. last month. The email stated that the 'refund is ready' and asked the recipient to sign in by clicking the link provided. (You can read more about that story here.)

Scammers may also impersonate myGov via phone calls, asking for personal details like birth dates and addresses under the guise of 'updating records'.

Key Takeaways

• The Australian federal government has declared an overhaul of the myGov online system to introduce passkeys like face and fingerprint recognition in place of usernames and passwords in an effort to combat scams.
  • myGov accounts, which host sensitive data from Centrelink, the Australian Tax Office and Medicare, have been targeted by criminals using 'scam-in-a-box' kits, leading to billions of dollars being lost.
  • Government Services Minister Bill Shorten announced the
  • I have several concerns about the use of biometric identification.
    First off, how do they plan to implement this? Via a web cam? Phone app?
    Both are highly vulnerable.
    Primarily biometric I.D.it is far from foolproof. With the exponential development of AI, criminals will be able quickly reproduce fingerprints and facial i.d.
    Secondly I am concerned about the question of privacy. The government will hold fingerprint and facial records of most Australians and it is only a short hop to them being accessed by other agencies under the guise of "security" or "criminal" investigations.
    Third there is a real risk of misidentification and the consequent, horrendous consequences that could ensue.
    Fourth, as criminals will stop at nothing, it will be only a matter of time before the biometric data repository is breached. There is no foolproof absolute safe storage.
    So what is the answer?
    Disengagement from the internet. I keep my computer unplugged except when I need to access the internet. I save my backups on external drives, disconnected from my computer and make back ups after I have disconnected from the computer.
    However, the biggest problem is the all pervasive need to be instantly in touch and connected. The government(s) have contributed to this by urging the use of apps and mobile phones for their services as have banks, service organisations and businesses.
    As stated above, disengagement from the internet is a major part of the solution. People need to be less lazy and physically do their business not be internet dependent. Government and businesses need to provide service. The benefits would be enormous. Greater employment, human contact - reducing isolation and the mental health issues. physical activity improving physical health, almost perfect security killing off the scamming industry and so on.

• changes as a safeguard against scammers who use phishing tactics to steal personal information.
  • Additional safety measures include the formation of an advisory group to ensure myGov prioritises customers; former Human Rights Commissioner Ed Santow, Simon Longstaff from The Ethics Centre, and Karen Batt from the Community and Public Sector Union will participate in the panel.

Members, what do you all think about the government's move to add passkeys for myGov accounts to protect against scammers?

Do you find face or fingerprint recognition more user-friendly than traditional usernames and passwords? And do you think they're more effective? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

View attachment 34317

Key Takeaways

• Government Services Minister Bill Shorten announced the changes as a safeguard against scammers who use phishing tactics to steal personal information.

I'm against it, once the hackers have your biometrics copied there will be no stopping them. If they can hack details now they will keep hacking and have even more power with a persons biometrics.
Govt should beef up and spend our (tax payers) money on their systems to stop hacking!

Reactions: Abby2

View attachment 34317

Key Takeaways

I absolutely hate this idea. Have these organisations not got anyone creative enough working for them to come up with a better system that does not turn us into a piece of digital technology ourselves????

Well "Elon Musk for one, predicted that AI would inevitably remove the need for all jobs in the future. That scared me!

View attachment 34317

Key Takeaways

There are a lot of people that don't have smart phones,tablets or computers to use facial recognition or fingerprint technology, so what happens to them?

Reactions: Gsr and Knell
I tried using my fingerprint to unlock my phone but I could never get it to match even though I was using the same finger. Must have been the way I was placing it down, so I gave up and went back to my old way. I also wonder how secure facial I’d is, a work colleague who had it on her phone used a photo of her face to see what happened, and the phone unlocked. Doesn’t say much for the security of facial I’d if scammers get photos of people off social media etc. Think I’ll stick to two factor identification.

I'm for it.
$3.1 billion is a hell of an amount to lose! AI can probably hack your face using a photo (and let's face it [see what I did there! 😂] we all have pics of ourselves on the socials somewhere!) But what if facial recignition was via video? That would be better. Even better is video with voice recognition! One thing they can't hack is your fingerprint. Unless you have been in jail that is.
Good luck everyone! And stay cyber safe!
Re your comment
"One thing they can't hack is your fingerprint."
Look at this bit of AI Technology
1699753702050.jpeg

HONG KONG (South China Morning Post): The first live birth of a chimeric monkey with a high proportion of cells derived from a stem cell line was reported by researchers in China who see opportunities to study human diseases and create interspecies chimeras to pass on endangered DNA.

The monkey was born with cells derived from two genetically distinct cynomolgus monkeys – also known as crab-eating macaques – a monkey used in many biomedical studies.

Monkey with Green eyes and hand with fingerprints ???
and you still trust the government

You got it right there.....Another way of weaselling their way into CONTROL is by letting you think they are doing us a favour...bloody government
Yea I agree with you
Bring back writing correspondence at least we were safe with that. It will also create more employment.

Reactions: Abby2 and IAN3005
Yea I agree with you
Bring back writing correspondence at least we were safe with that. It will also create more employment.
Fat chance..... they will push ahead regardless... global agenda!!!! Everyone has been brainwashed. Except a few whose lives will be made miserable.

View attachment 34317

Key Takeaways

I think finger print is a good way to go

Reactions: IAN3005