Young Australian arrested in Indonesia after ‘drunken, violent rampage’ left locals enraged

Holidays are meant for relaxation, fun, and creating some fond memories to cherish. However, a 23-year-old from Noosa, Queensland, seems to have taken the ‘fun’ aspect of the holidays to an entirely dangerous level.

While on holiday in one of Indonesia’s most conservative islands, Bodhi Mani Risby-Jones allegedly went on a naked rampage, hitting locals who tried to stop him and injuring one of them, which led to his eventual arrest.

The man could face flogging if found guilty of his crimes.

Risby-Jones, who works as a carpenter in Noosa, claimed he had a sunstroke the day before his rampage. According to him, he felt ‘almost possessed’ during the alleged incident, which happened early Thursday morning on Simeulue Island, located within the very conservative province of Aceh off the coast of Sumatra.

Risby-Jones also shared with reporters that he was on a surfing holiday and had ‘one shot of vodka’ prior to the incident.

‘I feel like not myself like almost possessed,’ he said in an interview.

‘It was not a good feeling. I wasn’t myself. Normally I am a very nice guy,’ he continued before adding that he would ‘never want to hurt people’ and that the alleged incident was ‘very out of character’.

indonesia1.jpg
The alleged incident happened on a conservative Indonesian island off the coast of Aceh province.

Risby-Jones also said that he didn’t really remember what happened, including being hit and kicked in the head, nabbed and bashed by local villagers. It was reported that this happened when he allegedly tried to steal one of the local’s motorbikes while naked.

Based on the details of the case, including testimonies from witnesses and police reports, Risby-Jones was allegedly drinking from a bottle of vodka before he emerged from his dwelling in the Moon Beach Resort without any clothes and proceeded to chase and strike people on the main village road.

Shortly after midnight, Risby-Jones attacked a fisherman from the village of Lantik, causing him to suffer an injury to the foot that required 50 stitches on his heel and a broken bone. Local Police Senior Commissioner Jamitko alleged that the man also hit a security guard before leaving the resort.

According to the police, Risby-Jones was ‘enraged’ and ‘caused a scene’.

‘He hit a security guard and walked out of the resort and ran amok with every motorbike rider he encountered.’

It was concluded that the fisherman’s injuries were a result of Risby-Jones hitting him as he passed by on his motorbike and throwing the vehicle onto the fisherman after he fell in a nearby gutter.

indonesia2.jpg
Risby-Jones was interviewed by reporters while under the custody of Indonesian police. Credit: ABC News

Enraged by the tourist’s behaviour, the locals formed a mob and tried to set the resort itself on fire.

‘Knowing it, the people got angry and almost put the resort on fire. Luckily, local police and the village head managed to calm down the mob,’ Senior Commissioner Jamitko said.

The man’s family released a statement on his behalf, claiming that Risby-Jones is now ‘fully aware of his behaviour’ and is disturbed by his actions which he takes ‘full responsibility’ for.

His father told reporters that his son was ‘deeply ashamed of the trauma and ongoing distress he has inflicted upon his family’. He also said his son was acknowledging the waste of resources his actions caused for local police and apologised to the Australian people for ‘embarrassing them’.

Simeulue Police Chief Detective Mayyuhdi said that Risby-Jones faces either two-and-a-half years in prison if the injuries he caused are minor or up to five years in prison if the victim’s injuries are more serious.

Risby-Jones also faces prosecution under Sharia Law, which is a religious law that is deeply ingrained in Islamic tradition. Under this law, drinking alcohol and other so-called morality offences such as premarital sex, adultery, and homosexuality are illegal for both Muslims and non-Muslims.

What is Sharia Law.jpg
What is Sharia Law? Image credit: The Seniors Discount Club

Aceh itself is one of Indonesia’s most conservative provinces where the sale and consumption of alcohol are banned. If found guilty, he will be flogged 40 times.

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade said that the Australian Embassy in Jakarta is working to provide consular assistance.

Indonesian police said Risby-Jones would be detained for up to 20 days while investigations take place.

John McLeod, a Crisis Management Consultant, has previously worked with high-profile Australians who found themselves in similar situations in Indonesia.

Mr McLeod said that the man’s alleged behaviour would be taken as an ‘act of incredible disrespect’.

‘If what we're hearing is true, it's total disrespect for local customs and culture, and to their religious faith,’ he said before adding that the concept of ‘restorative justice’ was highly valued in Indonesia.

‘You pay compensation for the pain and suffering and damage that you've caused to the individuals and throw yourself at the mercy of the local governor for forgiveness for your behaviour. You want to be showing total and utter remorse,’ he said.

Three non-Muslim Indonesian men were given 40 strikes in Banda Aceh in 2021 for drinking alcohol in public.
Key Takeaways

• A young Queensland man, Bodhi Mani Risby-Jones, claims he felt 'almost possessed' during an alleged naked, alcohol-fuelled rampage in Indonesia.
  • The man is now facing the terrifying prospect of spending time in an Indonesian jail and could be sentenced to up to five years in prison if convicted of maltreatment resulting in serious physical injury.
  • He could also face charges under Islamic law, as the consumption and sale of alcohol are banned in Aceh, which could lead to public floggings.
  • The rampage incited anger among locals, who allegedly threatened to burn down a hotel in response.
If any of you have other safety travel tips to offer, please feel free to share them in the comments below.

Sponsored
Do you blame them, look how so many Aussies act when in their country, bloody yobbos.
If you act respectfully in THEIR country you will be treated with friendliness and respect.
WHY do young people think that they can go to Country and trash it like they are at home or beyond their Laws. Do the Crime Pay the Penalty. I have been to a lot of Countries I don't agree with a lot of the Laws, BUT I follow them, Muslim Country, I cover up, it also comes down to respect for others as well. Thailand, Bali, why go, it is not the safest place to be, and also they don't exactly like Australians anyway so WHY give your Cash to them.

Holidays are meant for relaxation, fun, and creating some fond memories to cherish. However, a 23-year-old from Noosa, Queensland, seems to have taken the ‘fun’ aspect of the holidays to an entirely dangerous level.

While on holiday in one of Indonesia’s most conservative islands, Bodhi Mani Risby-Jones allegedly went on a naked rampage, hitting locals who tried to stop him and injuring one of them, which led to his eventual arrest.

Risby-Jones, who works as a carpenter in Noosa, claimed he had a sunstroke the day before his rampage. According to him, he felt ‘almost possessed’ during the alleged incident, which happened early Thursday morning on Simeulue Island, located within the very conservative province of Aceh off the coast of Sumatra.

Risby-Jones also shared with reporters that he was on a surfing holiday and had ‘one shot of vodka’ prior to the incident.

‘It was not a good feeling. I wasn’t myself. Normally I am a very nice guy,’ he continued before adding that he would ‘never want to hurt people’ and that the alleged incident was ‘very out of character’.

View attachment 18805
The alleged incident happened on a conservative Indonesian island off the coast of Aceh province.

Risby-Jones also said that he didn’t really remember what happened, including being hit and kicked in the head, nabbed and bashed by local villagers. It was reported that this happened when he allegedly tried to steal one of the local’s motorbikes while naked.

Based on the details of the case, including testimonies from witnesses and police reports, Risby-Jones was allegedly drinking from a bottle of vodka before he emerged from his dwelling in the Moon Beach Resort without any clothes and proceeded to chase and strike people on the main village road.

Shortly after midnight, Risby-Jones attacked a fisherman from the village of Lantik, causing him to suffer an injury to the foot that required 50 stitches on his heel and a broken bone. Local Police Senior Commissioner Jamitko alleged that the man also hit a security guard before leaving the resort.

‘He hit a security guard and walked out of the resort and ran amok with every motorbike rider he encountered.’

It was concluded that the fisherman’s injuries were a result of Risby-Jones hitting him as he passed by on his motorbike and throwing the vehicle onto the fisherman after he fell in a nearby gutter.

View attachment 18806
Risby-Jones was interviewed by reporters while under the custody of Indonesian police. Credit: ABC News

Enraged by the tourist’s behaviour, the locals formed a mob and tried to set the resort itself on fire.

‘Knowing it, the people got angry and almost put the resort on fire. Luckily, local police and the village head managed to calm down the mob,’ Senior Commissioner Jamitko said.

The man’s family released a statement on his behalf, claiming that Risby-Jones is now ‘fully aware of his behaviour’ and is disturbed by his actions which he takes ‘full responsibility’ for.

His father told reporters that his son was ‘deeply ashamed of the trauma and ongoing distress he has inflicted upon his family’. He also said his son was acknowledging the waste of resources his actions caused for local police and apologised to the Australian people for ‘embarrassing them’.

Simeulue Police Chief Detective Mayyuhdi said that Risby-Jones faces either two-and-a-half years in prison if the injuries he caused are minor or up to five years in prison if the victim’s injuries are more serious.

Risby-Jones also faces prosecution under Sharia Law, which is a religious law that is deeply ingrained in Islamic tradition. Under this law, drinking alcohol and other so-called morality offences such as premarital sex, adultery, and homosexuality are illegal for both Muslims and non-Muslims.

View attachment 18823

Aceh itself is one of Indonesia’s most conservative provinces where the sale and consumption of alcohol are banned. If found guilty, he will be flogged 40 times.

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade said that the Australian Embassy in Jakarta is working to provide consular assistance.

Indonesian police said Risby-Jones would be detained for up to 20 days while investigations take place.

John McLeod, a Crisis Management Consultant, has previously worked with high-profile Australians who found themselves in similar situations in Indonesia.

Mr McLeod said that the man’s alleged behaviour would be taken as an ‘act of incredible disrespect’.

‘If what we're hearing is true, it's total disrespect for local customs and culture, and to their religious faith,’ he said before adding that the concept of ‘restorative justice’ was highly valued in Indonesia.

‘You pay compensation for the pain and suffering and damage that you've caused to the individuals and throw yourself at the mercy of the local governor for forgiveness for your behaviour. You want to be showing total and utter remorse,’ he said.

Three non-Muslim Indonesian men were given 40 strikes in Banda Aceh in 2021 for drinking alcohol in public.
Key Takeaways

• A young Queensland man, Bodhi Mani Risby-Jones, claims he felt 'almost possessed' during an alleged naked, alcohol-fuelled rampage in Indonesia.
  • The man is now facing the terrifying prospect of spending time in an Indonesian jail and could be sentenced to up to five years in prison if convicted of maltreatment resulting in serious physical injury.
  • He could also face charges under Islamic law, as the consumption and sale of alcohol are banned in Aceh, which could lead to public floggings.
  • The rampage incited anger among locals, who allegedly threatened to burn down a hotel in response.
If any of you have other safety travel tips to offer, please feel free to share them in the comments below.
When we visit an other country we a re subject to their laws. If you break them you must suffer the consequences. Although I think Sharia Law is too severe.

I know that a lot of people here have their right to speak which they have done but let us also look at another possibility which happens non-stop around the world and is the likely cause of his erratic behaviour and that is that his drink and/or food were spiked. That his toothpaste was spiked. As many may have read by own comments before I did insurance claims for 35 years and during that period especially later on in my working life it included International Travel claims and people did have their this happen and they were robbed. Someone may have cruelly given him Ice which explains everything. If this young man has never behaved in this way ever before then it gives Just Cause of why he lost control and his inability to stop himself. He wouldn't even know that he drank and or eaten spiked food no person would, even you reading this. This young man could be your son.

Too often people jump to conclusions. This young man went for a holiday and I'm guessing he travelled by himself and there are no friends also being interviewed or on the news. It clearly indicates that he was by himself and therefore for any criminal after his money, his iphone, his credit card, he was an easy target.

Always a good idea to have the facts. The Australian government needs to support him and get him safely home. If he is caned, he can easily die from this or forever be damaged physically for life. He may also loose the ability to have children. He could come back in a coma, be wheelchaired and quadriplegic. Do you really want that?

I have No doubt that his family will let the man he harmed be left financially left out of pocket. If anything, I already get the idea that 'all his family' have all got together and raising for this Indonesian man to have all his medical, loss of income and I dare say a good amount to buy his first home, or an amazing deposit and then progress payments to help pay it off. Wouldn't you Step-Up and if not then maybe go into the bathroom and look at your reflection and really question and ask that mirror image "What sort of person are you really?" A lot of times I think many need to do this. Compare yourself to yourself.

If there is any Questionable Doubt, then there is innocence. I'm already highly convinced that his drink/food was spike in order to steal from him. If people do not think that happens well all I can say is 'Think again and again.' People have murdered people and thought nothing of it. All for their personal gratification.

Last edited:
A few floggings in our Australian schools might solve a few of our own problems with our kids. "Counselling" can be a total waste of time.

You could be right but by his own admission he was drinking vodka in a place where this forbidden.
One he says, so do most people who get picked up for drink driving and then test double times over the limit.
If you can't do without alcohol don't go to a place where it is against their law, whether or not you agree with this law is irrelevant.
I know that a lot of people here have their right to speak which they have done but let us also look at another possibility which happens non-stop around the world and is the likely cause of his erratic behaviour and that is that his drink and/or food were spiked. That his toothpaste was spiked. As many may have read by own comments before I did insurance claims for 35 years and during that period especially later on in my working life it included International Travel claims and people did have their this happen and they were robbed. Someone may have cruelly given him Ice which explains everything. If this young man has never behaved in this way ever before then it gives Just Cause of why he lost control and his inability to stop himself. He wouldn't even know that he drank and or eaten spiked food no person would, even you reading this. This young man could be your son.

Too often people jump to conclusions. This young man went for a holiday and I'm guessing he travelled by himself and there are no friends also being interviewed or on the news. It clearly indicates that he was by himself and therefore for any criminal after his money, his iphone, his credit card, he was an easy target.

Always a good idea to have the facts. The Australian government needs to support him and get him safely home. If he is caned, he can easily die from this or forever be damaged physically for life. He may also loose the ability to have children. He could come back in a coma, be wheelchaired and quadriplegic. Do you really want that?

I have No doubt that his family will let the man he harmed be left financially left out of pocket. If anything, I already get the idea that 'all his family' have all got together and raising for this Indonesian man to have all his medical, loss of income and I dare say a good amount to buy his first home, or an amazing deposit and then progress payments to help pay it off.

If there is any Questionable Doubt, then there is innocence. I highly think that his drink/food was spike in order to steal from him. If people do not think that happens well all I can say is 'Think again and again.' People have murdered people and thought nothing of it. All for their personal gratification.

Reactions: debjoel21

I have No doubt that his family will let the man he harmed be left financially left out of pocket. If anything, I already get the idea that 'all his family' have all got together and raising for this Indonesian man to have all his medical, loss of income and I dare say a good amount to buy his first home, or an amazing deposit and then progress payments to help pay it off. Wouldn't you Step-Up and if not then maybe go into the bathroom and look at your reflection and really question and ask that mirror image "What sort of person are you really?" A lot of times I think many need to do this. Compare yourself to yourself.

If there is any Questionable Doubt, then there is innocence. I'm already highly convinced that his drink/food was spike in order to steal from him. If people do not think that happens well all I can say is 'Think again and again.' People have murdered people and thought nothing of it. All for their personal gratification.
A wise and thoughtful comment.

This is Aceh, not Bali. NOT BALI. Indonesia has so many islands that you couldn't visit one a day in over ten years. But it is the strictest Muslim island and still practises Sharia Law. He sure picked the wrong island to break out...

I don't think it was spiked as it said he was drinking from the bottle he deserves what he gets
Yeh, suppose to be a strict Muslin Island, but alcohol is available????????????, like Dubai, you can certainly find places that sell alcohol there too.

Yeh, suppose to be a strict Muslin Island, but alcohol is available????????????, like Dubai, you can certainly find places that sell alcohol there too.
It used to be against the law many years for our own indigenous people to drink alcohol but unscrupulous white people managed to supply it.
We were no better here, always someone prepared to break the law for a quid.

View attachment 18805

View attachment 18806

View attachment 18823

Key Takeaways

How gross, how disturbing and how infuriating. How is it possible to reach 23 and have so little self- awareness , never mind self-control? Can almost count on it being an Aussie. Leave him in jail for a couple of weeks, and give him that flogging, could be a lesson for life.

Reactions: Ricki
When you're in a foreign country you need to be aware of the laws. Unfortunately this young man, like it or not, may get the lashes.

View attachment 18805

View attachment 18806

View attachment 18823

Key Takeaways

Perhaps these types of punishment should be considered in Australia. Offenders just don't have a fear of consequences here.

Reactions: mylittletibbies
People are always sorry when they’re caught doing the wrong thing………too bad And too late!
They should think before they act!
The funniest excuse he used - sunstroke 🤣🤣🤣
Other people’s culture and laws should be respected!!

I don't think it was spiked as it said he was drinking from the bottle he deserves what he gets
Who knows what might have been spiked? Sunstroke and possibly dehydration the day before followed by vodka next day would not have been the most wise combination in anyone's language.