You won't believe what's wrong with this popular fashion item from Kmart! Thousands left embarrassed...

There's no denying the allure of a good bargain, especially when it comes to fashion. We at the Seniors Discount Club are all too familiar with the joy sparked by an affordable and stylish piece of clothing that can make us feel a million dollars. Yet, there are times when these budget purchases can lead to unexpected downfalls, as many Kmart shoppers have recently discovered with one of their popular bestsellers.

Let's dive in deeper and reveal the embarrassing flaw that has left a significant number of Kmart consumers… well, say we say, a little red-cheeked.

Under the spotlight for all the wrong reasons are Kmart's Boot Mid Rise jeans. Sure, they're stylish, your posterior looks nothing short of stunning, and the fit has you doing double-takes in the mirror. But many shoppers have flooded social media platforms to lament a recurrent defect that has them questioning the durability of these fan favourites.

A customer took to a popular Facebook group to voice her dismay after not one, but two pairs of these jeans met an unfortunate end with a rip down the buttocks seam after only a few wears. The frazzled seam split into an inappropriately revealing rip, making for an awkward situation we'd all rather avoid.

3b5e6946b6c4a0abb57fee4fb09d2ec4e09f06e1.jpg
These Kmart jeans ripped in a rather unflattering fashion. Credit: Kmart Hacks & Decor/Facebook

The consequent outpour of solidarity from fellow Kmart shoppers revealed that this was not an isolated incident, but a more common problem than one would expect for a popular clothing item. Some even dared to use the term ‘horror’, which, for a pair of innocuous jeans, seemed quite dramatic yet understandable considering the unexpectedly revealing nature of the defect.

An employee allegedly disclosed that around 15 pairs were returned within one week for the same embarrassing seam split defect, sending a strong signal that there could be a considerable problem to address for the budget retailer. Unfortunately, Kmart has yet to comment on the issue, leaving many customers hanging by a thread (quite literally).

One shopper humorously revealed she was too ‘nervous’ to exchange her defective jeans for a second time, fearing a repeat performance would leave her more than just red-faced. Others expressed their shared sentiment, leaving lighthearted comments about their own unfortunate experiences.

Interestingly, many shoppers admitted to loving the style and fit of the offending jeans, despite the unfortunate flaw. They hoped to find replacements from other sources that offered the same style without the feared seam split.

fa9191901db41f860d6923c25d1208af75d6c84c-161x229-x48y0w1440h2048.jpg
Under Australian consumer law, faulty products can be returned for a refund or replacement. Credit: Kmart Hacks & Decor/Facebook

Some shoppers offered workarounds to circumvent the problem, ranging from upsizing for a more accommodating fit to opting for different style alternatives. These anecdotes offer hope for those who are still hopelessly smitten by these genuine but sadly flawed jeans.

As such, if you're planning to buy online or visit your local Kmart anytime soon, we'd suggest practising the age-old adage of 'buyer beware'. Remember, it's not just the price tag that determines a bargain; quality and durability are equally important.

To those already owning a pair of these notoriously fragile jeans, please don't wait for an embarrassing moment if you find a seam starting to fray. Take them right back to your store for a refund or an exchange. Meanwhile, our SDC community will keep a hopeful eye out for any official response from Kmart on this rather 'cheeky' problem.

Key Takeaways

• Kmart customers have inundated social media with complaints about a flaw in a popular pair of jeans that splits along the buttocks seam after a few uses.
  • One customer revealed that she had purchased two pairs of the Boot Mid Rise jeans, which both frayed and ripped at the same spot.
  • Many other shoppers chimed in, sharing their similar embarrassing experiences with the faulty jeans.
  • The customer who made the original post said it was 'overwhelming' to see how many people had the same problem, expressing her disappointment as a dedicated Kmart jeans lover.
Finally, it’s worth remembering that as an Australian consumer, you have a fair number of rights that protect you in unfortunate situations such as this unfortunate faux pas. The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) guarantees consumers statutory rights under the Australian Consumer Law (ACL) when they purchase goods. You can read more about your rights here.

By the way, we wrote about how best to look after your jeans and maximise their lifespan - take a look.

Have you ever had any wardrobe malfunctions you’d be brave enough to share with the rest of the Club? Let us know in the comments below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
I wonder whether the fashion of wearing "pre-aged" jeans has anything to do with that? Remember when you'd buy a pair of jeans and, each time you'd wash them, some of the "blue" would go down the drain? You could wear a pair of jeans for years, with the colour fading slowly and the wear points slowly becoming more visible as time went by. Now the jeans are subjected to tumbling in a tub with abrasive material to guarantee that you'll look like you've had them for a long time instead of straight off the shelf.

Oh I think these were the jeans you advertised a few weeks back.
Thank you for the update.

My stove is only cooking on high no matter what temperature have it on , the whole four elements are doing it , I'm renovating my kitchen soon and will be buying a new oven so didn't want to get it fixed or buy a new one yet.
So I purchased a hotplate with 2 elements from kmart , great to cook omelettes, mushrooms, meat patties , soup but forget cooking steak and I tried cooking chips and 1 hour and 15 minutes later they still were not cooked and because temperature of oil would not get high enough the chips would have been filled of oil .
I cook my chips in the airfryer but hubby and one son wants them fried

Reactions: Granny*Deb
Most products we buy - not just clothing - are made overseas, unfortunately in third world countries with those employees receiving third world wages and having to work long hours just so they can keep themselves and their families alive. The raw materials are of lower quality. Having said that, if everything is made here we won’t be able to afford to buy anything as our wages will send the cost sky-high (people are already complaining they cannot afford food so where will clothes feature in our high priced lives).

But - if you buy clothes one or two sizes too small you get what you deserve e.g. split clothing and wasted money.

There's no denying the allure of a good bargain, especially when it comes to fashion. We at the Seniors Discount Club are all too familiar with the joy sparked by an affordable and stylish piece of clothing that can make us feel a million dollars. Yet, there are times when these budget purchases can lead to unexpected downfalls, as many Kmart shoppers have recently discovered with one of their popular bestsellers.

Let's dive in deeper and reveal the embarrassing flaw that has left a significant number of Kmart consumers… well, say we say, a little red-cheeked.

Under the spotlight for all the wrong reasons are Kmart's Boot Mid Rise jeans. Sure, they're stylish, your posterior looks nothing short of stunning, and the fit has you doing double-takes in the mirror. But many shoppers have flooded social media platforms to lament a recurrent defect that has them questioning the durability of these fan favourites.

A customer took to a popular Facebook group to voice her dismay after not one, but two pairs of these jeans met an unfortunate end with a rip down the buttocks seam after only a few wears. The frazzled seam split into an inappropriately revealing rip, making for an awkward situation we'd all rather avoid.

View attachment 25889
These Kmart jeans ripped in a rather unflattering fashion. Credit: Kmart Hacks & Decor/Facebook

The consequent outpour of solidarity from fellow Kmart shoppers revealed that this was not an isolated incident, but a more common problem than one would expect for a popular clothing item. Some even dared to use the term ‘horror’, which, for a pair of innocuous jeans, seemed quite dramatic yet understandable considering the unexpectedly revealing nature of the defect.

An employee allegedly disclosed that around 15 pairs were returned within one week for the same embarrassing seam split defect, sending a strong signal that there could be a considerable problem to address for the budget retailer. Unfortunately, Kmart has yet to comment on the issue, leaving many customers hanging by a thread (quite literally).

One shopper humorously revealed she was too ‘nervous’ to exchange her defective jeans for a second time, fearing a repeat performance would leave her more than just red-faced. Others expressed their shared sentiment, leaving lighthearted comments about their own unfortunate experiences.

Interestingly, many shoppers admitted to loving the style and fit of the offending jeans, despite the unfortunate flaw. They hoped to find replacements from other sources that offered the same style without the feared seam split.

View attachment 25890
Under Australian consumer law, faulty products can be returned for a refund or replacement. Credit: Kmart Hacks & Decor/Facebook

Some shoppers offered workarounds to circumvent the problem, ranging from upsizing for a more accommodating fit to opting for different style alternatives. These anecdotes offer hope for those who are still hopelessly smitten by these genuine but sadly flawed jeans.

As such, if you're planning to buy online or visit your local Kmart anytime soon, we'd suggest practising the age-old adage of 'buyer beware'. Remember, it's not just the price tag that determines a bargain; quality and durability are equally important.

To those already owning a pair of these notoriously fragile jeans, please don't wait for an embarrassing moment if you find a seam starting to fray. Take them right back to your store for a refund or an exchange. Meanwhile, our SDC community will keep a hopeful eye out for any official response from Kmart on this rather 'cheeky' problem.

Key Takeaways

• Kmart customers have inundated social media with complaints about a flaw in a popular pair of jeans that splits along the buttocks seam after a few uses.
  • One customer revealed that she had purchased two pairs of the Boot Mid Rise jeans, which both frayed and ripped at the same spot.
  • Many other shoppers chimed in, sharing their similar embarrassing experiences with the faulty jeans.
  • The customer who made the original post said it was 'overwhelming' to see how many people had the same problem, expressing her disappointment as a dedicated Kmart jeans lover.
Finally, it’s worth remembering that as an Australian consumer, you have a fair number of rights that protect you in unfortunate situations such as this unfortunate faux pas. The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) guarantees consumers statutory rights under the Australian Consumer Law (ACL) when they purchase goods. You can read more about your rights here.

By the way, we wrote about how best to look after your jeans and maximise their lifespan - take a look.

Have you ever had any wardrobe malfunctions you’d be brave enough to share with the rest of the Club? Let us know in the comments below!
Due to putting a quart into a pint pot

View attachment 25889

View attachment 25890

Key Takeaways

Don't forget Kmart items are not Australian made, hence the cheaper prices, hence questionable quality. I shop there but I keep that in mind.

I have, on several occasions, bought jeans from Jeans West, where the side leg seams , as they go down your leg, end up in the middle of the leg.
Have other people struck this problem. So annoying as I live in the country and then have to return them
This happens because they are trying to save wastage on fabric and they are cut the wrong way.
Can understand cheap KMart jeans having problems, but expect better when paying $60 or $70.

I have, on several occasions, bought jeans from Jeans West, where the side leg seams , as they go down your leg, end up in the middle of the leg.
Have other people struck this problem. So annoying as I live in the country and then have to return them
This happens because they are trying to save wastage on fabric and they are cut the wrong way.
Can understand cheap KMart jeans having problems, but expect better when paying $60 or $70.
Jeans west jeans have been like that for over 20 years there horrible👎I don’t shop there anymore everything’s crap🙀

Reactions: Gaena
It's not on;y Kmart clothing, last year I brought from W Lane 2 Pairs of Linen pants and I wore 1 to go out to speacial outing, when I got home and I noticed the seams on both legs and back and front came apart from the seam also. I took them back and I was lucky I got my money back. the clothes are made overseas and they are not sewn properly, now I look at what I buy from stores,and look at the seams etc

View attachment 25889

View attachment 25890

Key Takeaways

It’s not necessarily a problem caused by cheap clothing or materials but it’ll be caused by the material being sewn on the very edge and not say, half centermetre from the edge. I’ve had this occur in expensive, cheap and homemade clothing. The material just pulls away from where it’s been stitched. Probably a batch problem and Kmart can sort out with manufacturer. Remember Kmart sells these jeans nationwide and it’s not obviously happening in all pairs or shops. You do need to return them or Kmart doesn’t know and therefore the problem can’t be solved.

I wonder whether the fashion of wearing "pre-aged" jeans has anything to do with that? Remember when you'd buy a pair of jeans and, each time you'd wash them, some of the "blue" would go down the drain? You could wear a pair of jeans for years, with the colour fading slowly and the wear points slowly becoming more visible as time went by. Now the jeans are subjected to tumbling in a tub with abrasive material to guarantee that you'll look like you've had them for a long time instead of straight off the shelf.
No its the seam allowances made by the manufacturers to save money, very unfortunate and time Kmart smartened up on that point. I you or I made the jeans we would have more than a millimetre in the seam, the fabric hasnt been caught properly and so the 'tear' happens.

It’s not necessarily a problem caused by cheap clothing or materials but it’ll be caused by the material being sewn on the very edge and not say, half centermetre from the edge. I’ve had this occur in expensive, cheap and homemade clothing. The material just pulls away from where it’s been stitched. Probably a batch problem and Kmart can sort out with manufacturer. Remember Kmart sells these jeans nationwide and it’s not obviously happening in all pairs or shops. You do need to return them or Kmart doesn’t know and therefore the problem can’t be solved.
exactly!

It is a pity that all or most of our clothes are made overseas now. I remember the days when Rivers clothing was all made here and there only shop was in Ballarat in a beautiful old heritage building. Then when they began to open new stores all over Melbourne etc that's when their clothing started being made overseas. I also remember when my sister worked at Quicksilver in Torquay many years ago,the clothing was all made locally at the Quicksilver factory/warehouse there. Then as it's popularity grew it was sent offshore. I remember the labels use to say something like "Designed in Australia,Cut and Assembled in New Zealand or New Delhi,or somewhere like that. And I remember my sister telling us that it caused uproar at the factory and everyone was very upset. Can anyone please tell me and this may sound a bit naive of me,but why don't we make our clothing,shoes etc,etc here in Australia. Wouldn't it help our economy?And wouldn't it create jobs here?🤔

Reactions: SandyM and Marj53