You won't believe what this snake catcher found in a toilet and his hilarious response!

With many of us here in Australia on the lookout for the occasional surprise snake on our property, it's unlikely that anybody would be able to even think of something that could shock a professional snake catcher like Rolly.

Having been in the business for more than five decades, it's fair to say that he's seen it all – from questionable whips and chains to bizarre finds in someone’s old shed – but one story from his past month of work has been even more unusual than, well, the usual stuff he sees while on the job.

Meet Rolly, a wildlife expert from Snake Catchers Adelaide with over 50 years of experience under his belt.

While his day-to-day work involves safely catching and relocating venomous snakes, it's the unexpected glimpses into other people's lives often provide the most surprises.

‘I’ve seen everything,’ Rolly shared in an interview with reporters.

snake1.jpg
A snake catcher revealed what he found in one client’s home. Credit: Petr Ganaj/Pexels

‘From whips and chains in the cellar to dope crops in a shed,’ he continued.

However, one hilarious incident involving a panic-stricken resident and a peculiar discovery in her toilet had Rolly laughing even more than the whips and chains.

After receiving a frantic phone call, Rolly was asked to help retrieve a snake from the resident's toilet.

‘As snake catchers, we do quite often get unusual phone calls and findings - so this one we just add to the list….’ The wildlife expert wrote on social media.

snake2.jpg
The snake catcher shared the photo on social media. Credit: Snake Catchers Adelaide/Facebook

The unsuspecting woman sent him a picture of her discovery, and upon seeing the image, Rolly rang the resident back immediately.

To her horror, Rolly responded: ‘Look, it's not a snake, it's some type of tapeworm...And it's probably come out of your bum.’

‘I think you need to go to a chemist,’ he recalled himself saying.

‘I was going to ask her if she wanted to go fishing, and she could have stood next to me and supplied the worms,’ he jokingly added.

Social media users were also quick to comment on Rolly’s post.

‘Looks like someone has worms,’ one joked.

‘Um, the snakes are inside you,’ another replied.

While one inquired: ‘Wouldn’t you just flush it?’

‘At least the toilet is clean!’ Someone else wrote.

‘I would have died of embarrassment if I was the caller,’ one more responded.

As funny as this scenario is, it turns out this scenario is actually pretty common.

Approximately 3.5 billion people are actually affected by intestinal worms each year, according to the National Institutes of Health.

Additionally, there are many kinds of worms that can affect humans. Thankfully, most are not a problem in Australia because of the climate and the country’s good standard of sanitation.

The most common worm infestation encountered here is threadworm, which typically affects children but can also be transmitted to adults.

Other common types of worms that affect humans are roundworms, which can cause vomiting, fever, and general body pain.

To prevent these parasites from infecting humans, it is important to maintain good hygiene, use properly cooked food, and drink safe water.

Of course, the resident who found the worm in her toilet didn't provide Rolly with any updates on her trip to the chemist.

But upon further inspection, the worm found in the woman’s toilet wasn’t actually a tapeworm.

After sending the accompanying image to various worm experts, Professor of Parasitology Malcolm Jones identified the creature as an earthworm.

‘Looking at the worm, I note that it is red in colour. Usually, intestinal parasites are white or cream,’ the professor explained.

‘It could be from a backflow in the toilet or something that fell off the person’s clothing as they sat on the toilet.’

The discovery was backed up by Professor Andrew Thompson from Murdoch University, who said that the creature was, indeed, an earthworm.

So, while the good news is that this Adelaide resident didn't have an intestinal worm problem, the unusual encounter certainly gave Rolly a memorable story to share and perhaps even provided some amusement for everyone involved.

Key Takeaways
  • An Adelaide snake catcher named Rolly was called to help a resident who claimed to have found a snake in her toilet.
  • Upon receiving an image of the creature, Rolly informed the resident that it was not a snake but a type of tapeworm and advised her to consult a chemist.
  • While worm infestations are rare in Australia, around 3.5 billion people are affected by intestinal worms annually worldwide, according to the National Institutes of Health.
  • The worm was later identified by Professor Malcolm Jones as an earthworm, not an intestinal worm, possibly resulting from backflow in the toilet or having fallen off the person's clothing.
Do you have any similar stories or bizarre encounters with wildlife in your home? Feel free to send them our way and share your experiences in the comments below!

Sponsored
A few years back when my kids were still kids, my youngest daughter was sleeping in my bed when at around 12.30am, I went into the ensuite bathroom, only to notice a snake peeping out from behind the toilet.

Generally, I'm not scared of snakes, but I'm also not a superhero and worst of all, as we had emigrated six years earlier, I was still unfamiliar with identifying the species... something I had learned well when living in South Africa.

Obviously, I called a snake catcher, but was most fearful that it may sneak out of the bathroom into the bed. So, I kept a strict eye on it for a full hour and a half, until the snake catcher arrived.

He approached it cautiously, then burst out laughing after he pulled it out and showed me it was a legless lizard...!

• Haha
Reactions: Sethia Soliman
My loo fright was when I was just married and moved to live in the country home with a new septic tank system in a new bathroom I opened the loo lid to see a huge bright green fog staring at me. Needless to say, I did not use the loo ( there was another in the home) nor would I flush it, so left it to my farmer husband who said it was not unusual, then fished out the poor frog and took him outside near the water tank area where frogs lived. How did it get in there? still do not know 60 years later. I can still see that frog's expression.

• Haha
Reactions: mOiOz
That's hilarious.
Just goes to show how modern living changes the way we view things. Something that is not in a cage, call the animal catcher. Reminds me of the time I was taking little toddlers for a drive and pointed out the cows in the field. They said "they are not cows". Why, because they were brown and not black and white like the milk cartons. Pretty much says it all.
We are not country folk, but did grow up next to the bush that was our gigantic playground. We used to go tadpole catching then watch them grow to frogs. Saw lost of critters like lizards, koalas, various bird species, tortoises, goannas, and other nameless bush inhabitants. In all those years, never one snake. They are mostly too scared to show themselves.
I know the only tiny snake I might ever encounter would be a baby one, and pretty sure sea snakes don't live in the loo.
I can't believe the snake catcher was called.

This story was hilarious.
I've never had a snake in my house but threatened to get one if hubby didn't work out how mice were coming in.

I hate rodents and we had lifted old carpet and polished the floor boards what the company forgot to do was put quarter wood around and that's how the mice were coming in from time to time .
Thank goodness the quarter wood was done and no need for me to carry a broom around and to wear big boots

I was told by neighbours that there was a snake in my front garden. I phoned the ranger to please come, but he wouldn't. We had always been told to phone the range if something like this happened and not try to kill the snake. He said that it would be a tree snake. I don't kno0w how he would know that wihout seeing it. I didn't know as I hadn't seen it It went under some timber behind a vine. I was not game enough to go out our front door for a couple of weeks until someone came and moved the timber to find that the snake was not there any more. Why would they suggest that we should phone the local Ranger if he won't come.