You won't believe what this scammer confessed when confronted by a savvy Aussie!

Online scams have become a scourge of our times. As we grow increasingly dependent on internet services and digital platforms, online fraudsters are seizing the opportunities for illicit gain. But consider this: what happens when the tables turn on these crafty schemers?

In a unique and surprising turn of events, an Aussie gave us a hint. They not only exposed an ongoing scam but wrangled a shocking confession out of the scammer.

But first, who are these scammers? What do we actually know about who is behind the deception?

According to cybersecurity experts, a typical online scammer often covers their tracks very effectively. They can be anyone, anywhere in the world—from teenagers operating out of their bedrooms to organised criminal groups.

hacker-gae83205d1_1280 (1).jpeg
Scammers are often lurking on online marketplaces. Image by Mohamed_hassan from Pixabay

The key is—they thrive on anonymity. The strategic play is generally to earn your trust by building a plausible backstory.

Such was the case for one scammer, who thought they were closing in on a victim. A poster shared on Reddit how criminals have resorted to posing as legitimate buyers on platforms like Facebook Marketplace to trick online sellers out of their money. The poster shared a screenshot of a conversation as an example.

'Actually, I'm not available in town right now but I could tell my Daughter to help me pick it up if you don't mind!' the scammer wrote.

The conman (or woman) then attempts to secure bank details under the guise of arranging payment—a classic scam strategy.

After a short reply of ‘sure’ from the seller, the fake buyer replied: ‘Do you have payid (payment identification) so I can make payment to you cause my daughter doesn't have bank account for me to make payment to her.'

'Does this scam actually work lol,' the seller responded, taking the scammer head on.

'Do people really fall for this s***,' he continued, following it with a crying emoji.

Surprisingly, the swindler confessed, 'Yes. I just smashed an i***t over $2k.’

Screen Shot 2023-08-03 at 11.06.31 am.png
The scammer’s confession. Image Credit: Facebook

‘The post garnered a bunch of responses, with several users sharing their insights.

‘Many scams are done by 14-16 year old Aussie kids', said one commenter.

‘You'd be surprised how many sit on hacking forums determining how to scam the Aussie public.'

Anotheragreed: 'Yeah the wording of that reply doesn't scream Nigerian prince to me, it screams bogan.’

But the truth remains elusive.

Key Takeaways
  • An online scammer admitted to successfully swindling over $2k from a fraud victim in Australia.
  • The scam involved the fraudster pretending to transfer money to a seller and then asking for an 'account upgrade fee' to release the funds.
  • The scammer responded frankly when the targeted individual questioned the legitimacy of the transaction.
  • Netizens suggested that such scams could originate from various sources, including overseas or from young Australian hackers. They advised victims or targeted individuals to report scams to the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation (ASIO).

Remember, if you suspect something fishy, report it immediately to the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation (ASIO) or ScamWatch. We can hopefully prompt hard-hitting platforms like Facebook to pull up their socks and enforce stricter security measures.

In the meantime, hone your scam-dodging skills with these tips:

- STOP: If you're in doubt, withhold your money and personal details. Scammers are exceptional actors, don't fall for the performance.

- THINK: Make it a habit to question the authenticity of the message or call received. Your best bet is to contact businesses directly on their official website or through secure apps.

- PROTECT: Trust your gut feeling. If something appears off, take immediate action.

By pooling our information and staying on guard, we can help each other avoid these deceptions. You can find the latest posts and information on our very own Scam Watch forum here.

Stay cyber-safe, members!

Sponsored
never understand why sellers on these sites are not required to provide the equivalent of 100 point ID before they can go live. But having said that, (quote attribued to Barnum but no record of him actually saying) there's a sucker born every minute.

Reactions: Jennie and Leenie
Online scams have become a scourge of our times. As we grow increasingly dependent on internet services and digital platforms, online fraudsters are seizing the opportunities for illicit gain. But consider this: what happens when the tables turn on these crafty schemers?

In a unique and surprising turn of events, an Aussie gave us a hint. They not only exposed an ongoing scam but wrangled a shocking confession out of the scammer.

But first, who are these scammers? What do we actually know about who is behind the deception?

According to cybersecurity experts, a typical online scammer often covers their tracks very effectively. They can be anyone, anywhere in the world—from teenagers operating out of their bedrooms to organised criminal groups.

View attachment 26582
Scammers are often lurking on online marketplaces. Image by Mohamed_hassan from Pixabay

The key is—they thrive on anonymity. The strategic play is generally to earn your trust by building a plausible backstory.

Such was the case for one scammer, who thought they were closing in on a victim. A poster shared on Reddit how criminals have resorted to posing as legitimate buyers on platforms like Facebook Marketplace to trick online sellers out of their money. The poster shared a screenshot of a conversation as an example.

'Actually, I'm not available in town right now but I could tell my Daughter to help me pick it up if you don't mind!' the scammer wrote.

The conman (or woman) then attempts to secure bank details under the guise of arranging payment—a classic scam strategy.

After a short reply of ‘sure’ from the seller, the fake buyer replied: ‘Do you have payid (payment identification) so I can make payment to you cause my daughter doesn't have bank account for me to make payment to her.'

'Does this scam actually work lol,' the seller responded, taking the scammer head on.

'Do people really fall for this s***,' he continued, following it with a crying emoji.

View attachment 26583

‘The post garnered a bunch of responses, with several users sharing their insights.

‘You'd be surprised how many sit on hacking forums determining how to scam the Aussie public.'

Anotheragreed: 'Yeah the wording of that reply doesn't scream Nigerian prince to me, it screams bogan.’

Key Takeaways

• An online scammer admitted to successfully swindling over $2k from a fraud victim in Australia.
  • The scam involved the fraudster pretending to transfer money to a seller and then asking for an 'account upgrade fee' to release the funds.
  • The scammer responded frankly when the targeted individual questioned the legitimacy of the transaction.
  • Netizens suggested that such scams could originate from various sources, including overseas or from young Australian hackers. They advised victims or targeted individuals to report scams to the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation (ASIO).

Remember, if you suspect something fishy, report it immediately to the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation (ASIO) or ScamWatch. We can hopefully prompt hard-hitting platforms like Facebook to pull up their socks and enforce stricter security measures.

- STOP: If you're in doubt, withhold your money and personal details. Scammers are exceptional actors, don't fall for the performance.

- THINK: Make it a habit to question the authenticity of the message or call received. Your best bet is to contact businesses directly on their official website or through secure apps.

- PROTECT: Trust your gut feeling. If something appears off, take immediate action.

By pooling our information and staying on guard, we can help each other avoid these deceptions. You can find the latest posts and information on our very own Scam Watch forum here.

We were almost caught with this scam a few months ago. They ALWAYS say that a friend or relative will collect the item. We've experienced it several times since, always on Facebook Marketplace.

Hubby now reels them in and is super friendly and helpful. Then they ask for the bank details and hubby texts back: 'Oh didn't I mention that in the ad? It's strictly cash on pick up.' Funnily enough, he never hears from them again.

Reactions: Leenie

View attachment 26582

View attachment 26583

Key Takeaways

I have had many scammers try and scam me on the market place however I confront them right away as soon as they ask if I have paypal or pay id and I do not hold back with telling them off, and if many are these are teenagers and are truly Aussie then I am ashamed of them and disgusted as a true blue Aussie and their parents for not keeping an eye out on what they are doing on line, these people should be held accountable, I know it is hard to find out whom is doing these scams HOWEVER KARAMA finds away

Reactions: terri and Leenie
I got a text message awhile ago that said "Hi mum, left my home at your place, then asked me to click onto What's App etc....you know the rest.
For a start I don't have children but knew it was a scam anyway.
I texted back....
Dear son, you left your phone at my place when you visited. Drop by and pick it up.
Then I left them with....gotcha!!!🤣🤣🤣🤣👍🏽

View attachment 26582

View attachment 26583

Key Takeaways

Yep unfortunately I got scammed last week in the Marketplace had a relapse in judgement or a brain implosion I never give out bank details but everything looked legit even the auspost site. Thankfully for an alert bank he didn’t get a dime of my hard-earned cash but all the red flags were there I just didn’t think. Very clever and sophisticated they groom you into believing they’re like their own family. One thing struck me as odd. My bank advised the safest ways of receiving payment online and one was PayID which requires the seller only giving a mobile number or email address especially if you don’t want to do bank deposit so I’m not sure why this person although he already knew he was a scammer would have had a problem with that payment …my scammer said he paid by auspost and I had to give them my bank details in order to be paid via a link. That should have been enough for me to know it was a scam lucky my bank alerted me immediately and held the funds until I rang them at almost midnight. Banks have 24/7 scam team that protect your accounts I was one of the lucky ones be safe out there fellow SC’s

View attachment 26582

View attachment 26583

Key Takeaways

I had this last week. Almost the same words. However, I had asked for cash and just replied " tell the person coming to bring cash." Heard no more from them. I won`t bite unless they pay cash.

I have had it so many time and as others have said as soon as you say cash on pick up you don't hear from them again
I’m too trusting it’s part of my nature to help people I’ve sold in market place for years and never had a problem usually it’s pickup only but if people live far away I’ll help them … it’s been a lesson but I was one of the lucky ones.
Once bitten….

Reactions: Jersey Girl

View attachment 26582

View attachment 26583

Key Takeaways

I've bought of market place text to meet and greet pay cash 💲 after examining the item 🙃 no bank account details ever simple 👍

Reactions: Jennylolo
Rule Number One - Never conduct ANY transaction AT ALL online.

Rule Number Two - Refer to Rule Number One.

The only two online transactions I have ever done was nearly 20 years ago, before measly scammers infected the Internet.

Reactions: Jennylolo