You won't believe what this mum wore to a wedding after promising not to upstage the bride!

When it comes to weddings, there's an unspoken rule that's as old as time: never upstage the bride. It's a day meant to celebrate the love and union of the happy couple, and traditionally, all eyes should be on them – especially the bride. This rule is particularly pertinent for those closest to the bride, such as her mother. However, in a tale that has since gone viral, one mother-of-the-bride decided to take a rather unconventional approach to her daughter's big day, sparking a flurry of online chatter and divided opinions.

The mother in question is 57-year-old Pauline, who attended the wedding of her daughter, Jin Cheng, a well-known Taiwanese actress. Jin had one simple request for her mother: please don't do anything to draw attention away from the bride and groom. Initially, Pauline had considered wearing a white dress – a major faux pas in wedding etiquette – but after her daughter's plea, she decided against it. Yet, Pauline's desire to stand out didn't stop there.

Instead of the white dress, Pauline arrived at the wedding wearing a blue bikini beneath a sparkly, see-through mesh gown. The outfit, which left little to the imagination, certainly made a statement. Photos of Pauline posing confidently with her daughter and the other wedding guests quickly made their way onto social media, where they became a hot topic of conversation.

IMG_0106.png
Pauline’s outfit on her daughter’s wedding became a hot topic. Credit: Yiping News Network / Youtube

While Jin Cheng herself seemed unbothered by her mother's bold fashion choice, sharing a heartfelt photo of the newlyweds with their mothers and captioning it with a loving message, the online community had mixed reactions. Some labeled Pauline's attire as 'tacky' and 'outrageous,' with one commenter stating, 'I would not have allowed her anywhere near my photographer.' Others expressed that they would be 'fuming' if their mother turned up in such an outfit at their wedding.

The criticism didn't stop there. Accusations of 'attention-seeking' behavior and 'Main Character Syndrome' were thrown around, with many feeling that wearing a bikini to a wedding – regardless of how good one might look – was simply inappropriate. 'Mother or not, you cannot do this and expect people to NOT give you grief over it,' one person remarked.

On the flip side, there were those who defended Pauline's choice, suggesting that if you have the confidence and the physique, why not celebrate it? 'If you've got it, flaunt it,' one supporter commented, while another joked, 'If I looked like that at 57, I might also want to run around mostly naked all the time.'

This incident raises interesting questions about wedding etiquette and the evolving nature of what's considered acceptable at such events. It also highlights the generational differences in attitudes towards self-expression and the importance of adhering to traditions.

For our readers at the Seniors Discount Club, we'd love to hear your thoughts. What's your take on wedding attire etiquette? Should there be a limit to self-expression at such events, or is it time to embrace a more modern, anything-goes approach? Have you ever witnessed a wedding guest who perhaps took the spotlight a little too far? Share your stories and opinions in the comments below – we're all ears!

Key Takeaways
  • A woman's choice of attire for her daughter's wedding has sparked outrage and debate online.
  • The mother-of-the-bride, Pauline, wore a blue bikini under a transparent, sparkly mesh gown despite her daughter's request not to upstage her.
  • Pauline's outfit was met with mixed reactions from wedding guests and social media users, with some calling it 'tacky' and 'inappropriate'.
  • Nonetheless, it appears that the bride, Taiwanese actress Jin Cheng, was not bothered by her mother's bold fashion statement, sharing a happy family photo on social media.

And remember, while fashion and customs may change, the essence of a wedding – celebrating love and family – remains timeless. Whether you're the bride, the groom, or a guest, it's all about contributing to the joy of the occasion. Let's make sure we're all doing our part to keep the focus on the happy couple on their special day.

Sponsored
The sadness of the acceptance of what the Mum was wearing has a lot to do with her body shape. I find it shallow that this woman has been picked out and judged whether her attire was acceptable for her daughter's wedding with her looks being part of the criteria.

And here I am shocked at my sons ex mother inlaw wearing a wedding dress to their wedding.

Is the person in a suit her daughter
My goodness, a mother in law wearing a wedding gown to her own daughter's wedding. You must have got the shock of your life. I don't understand the thinking behind this woman.
I truly don't like to be critical but what my son's mother in law wore to his wedding left a lot to be desired too. A maxi purple off the shoulder ill fitting dress the lady like myself is curvy. It was a dress you might wonder around in on a summers day. The shoes were black chunky healed shoes something you would wear with jeans heavy winter shoes. I was surprised the lady in question didn't have thongs on as l have always seen her in. The brides father wore black slacks runners and white shirt the front tucked half in with the back out. I was a little taken aback.
Anyway what can we say every one to their own. But wedding gear should be respectful whether you are a parent to the bride and groom or a family member or friend.

Kind regards to all Vicki

Don’t they mean the mother of the groom as the mother of the bride is standing next to the bride by the looks of it. And the lady in the see through outfit is standing next to the groom.🤔
And it’s got fake written all over it I don’t believe this story at all.👎

Last edited:
Well that is somebody with a very low self confidence and self esteem. Obviously someone who can't stand not being the centre of attention at all times. Some people were just not meant to have children and she is one of them.