You won't believe what this dog did in a Guzman y Gomez that has Aussie diners outraged – see the 'gross' act now!

In the land down under, where the love for our four-legged friends runs deep, nearly half of all Australian households boast a furry companion. Dogs are not just pets; they're part of the family. But how far should this familial bond stretch when it comes to public spaces and eateries? This question has been thrust into the limelight following a recent incident at a Guzman y Gomez restaurant in the bustling inner west suburb of Newtown, Sydney.

It was just another day at the popular Mexican eatery until a Sydney couple decided to share more than just their company with their canine companion. As they savored their flavorful dishes, their small dog was given a front-row seat to the feast, quite literally, as it sat perched atop the table. This sight was enough to make another diner's fork drop, as they were appalled to see the pooch positioned 'on a counter where people eat.' A snapshot was taken and, as expected, it wasn't long before social media was set ablaze with reactions.

The 'gross' act, as it was dubbed, sparked a heated debate among Aussie diners. While some shrugged off the incident, claiming they 'personally wouldn’t give it a second thought,' others were quick to lament the normalization of what they considered 'sh***y behaviour.' The divide was clear, with comments ranging from understanding nods to outright disgust. 'I love dogs, but what kind of an idiot puts their dog on a table where people eat!' exclaimed one exasperated social media user.

1720498500158.png
Couple at Sydney Guzman y Gomez let their dog sit on a table, upsetting other diners. Credit: Reddit

The conversation soon turned to a broader issue: the increasing trend of dog owners 'sneaking' their pets into public spaces. It seems that the lines are being blurred between pet-friendly areas and those that are strictly human-only. This has left many Australians feeling frustrated, as they witness more and more dogs in places they perhaps shouldn't be.

Guzman y Gomez, for their part, expressed disappointment over the incident. A spokesperson for the chain clarified that while assistance dogs are welcome indoors, no live animals are allowed in areas where food is handled. The restaurant's team acted in accordance with policy, promptly asking the dog-owning diners to remove their pet from the premises. 'It's disappointing that a guest chose to do this, however the team at Guzman y Gomez followed our policies as soon as they were aware,' the spokesperson stated.

This incident raises important questions about the etiquette and rules governing pets in public eateries. It's a reminder that while our love for our pets is vast, there are boundaries that need to be respected for the comfort and health of all patrons. It also highlights the need for clear communication of pet policies by establishments to ensure all guests are on the same page.

So, dear readers, where do you stand on this furry fiasco? Should dogs be allowed to join their owners at the table in restaurants, or should there be a strict pets-on-the-floor policy? Have you encountered similar situations in your local eateries? Share your thoughts and experiences with us – we're all ears (and paws).

Key Takeaways
  • A couple in a Sydney Guzman y Gomez restaurant allowed their dog to sit on a table, prompting negative reactions from fellow diners.
  • A photo of the dog on the table circulated on social media, with many Australians calling the behaviour 'disgusting' and 'gross.'
  • Guzman y Gomez spokesperson stated that only assistance dogs are allowed inside their restaurants and took prompt action as per their policies when they were made aware of the dog on the table.
  • Customers are disappointed with the blurring of boundaries regarding pets in public spaces, as more dogs are being brought into areas where food is handled.

And remember, if you're ever unsure about the pet policy of a restaurant or public space, it's always best to ask ahead of time. That way, you can enjoy your meal with peace of mind, and perhaps your furry friend can too, in a way that's considerate of everyone involved.

Sponsored
Some people beggar belief, what sort of ferals are they to do this in a public eatery. Cute dog though.
I love my two little pooches to bits, they sit on my lounge, sleep on my bed on their own blankets, in fact they are spoilt rotten.
But, never, never will they sit on my table, benches, etc or anywhere else where food is prepared or eaten.
Same

The dog seems to have better manners than some humans - leave him where he is!
Being a madly devoted animal lover... he is the cutest ever and VERY well behaved, as I would say "edible" (no pun intended),
However, sit him on a chair, ok - but the table, sorry NO WAY!!!! :love::confused:o_O

I think it’s definitely not on to push the rules by having a dog on the table. I love dogs but not on the table (or cats). Typical some people go too far often reducing the rules to disallowing dogs completely 👎👎👎

Reactions: mOiOz
I was under the impression that dogs were not allowed anywhere where food was sold,
including supermarkets.

I regularly see dogs outside my local Dome Restaurant with their owners, who have placed a bowl of water down for them. This area can be quite chilly @ times but owners never bring pets inside, nor would l expect them to.

The young people in this story are absolutely disgusting, have no scruples & should be living in a tent (if they don't already do so).

Last edited:
Reactions: Ingot and DLHM
Again l am an absolute animal lover, but l don't want to go to an eatery and have a dog on a table. I totally get assistance dogs. Take a blanket and put the dog at your feet on the blanket.
Really manners have just up and gone in so many ways.
This is not right. I have said it so many times there is a time and place for our pets.
It could cost business to eatery establishments because people would be put off due to a lack of hygiene or fear of dogs and so on.
Kind regards to all Vicki
I totally agree with you BellaB

Reactions: relljube and Ezzy
Any truth to the rumours that the dog had Bird Flu, Covid, Dystemper, worms, Monkey Pox and fleas?
Personally I don't believe it.

I would disregard rumours that it was licking it's @!$e as well.
People will say anything to get a clean, well-behaved dog banned from a posh eating establishment! :rolleyes::cautious::sleep:
I would say until they are able to use toilet paper and stop licking their private parts they should be banned in eateries. People who talk like they are their offspring may think what female dogs are called

Reactions: Ezzy
Any truth to the rumours that the dog had Bird Flu, Covid, Dystemper, worms, Monkey Pox and fleas?
Personally I don't believe it.

I would disregard rumours that it was licking it's @!$e as well.
People will say anything to get a clean, well-behaved dog banned from a posh eating establishment! :rolleyes::cautious::sleep:
It shouldnt be there in the first place