You won't believe what this customer uncovered regarding Coles ‘specials’!

When it comes to shopping, everyone loves a good deal. But what if the 'specials' you're seeing aren't as budget-friendly as they seem?

That's the question being asked by Coles customers, who have recently uncovered a potentially deceptive pricing practice at the popular supermarket chain.

Rowan Element, a vigilant shopper from Canberra, has blown the whistle on a pricing discrepancy she discovered at her local Coles in Tuggeranong.

She noticed that the special price on a pack of sliced mushrooms was actually higher than the original price tag hidden behind it.

Screenshot 2024-01-08 092303.png
A Coles shopper reported to the supermarket manager a ‘deceptive advertising’ of a mushroom product. Image: Facebook/@Rowan Element

'I bought this humble pack of sliced mushrooms, they were on special “two for $6.50” or $4 for one. When I moved the specials tag, the price was $3.50...It is the first time that I’ve noticed something like this,' she told a news source.

'Clearly, Coles put the price up to make the “special” look better but forgot to take off the original price ticket.'

When she confronted the store manager about the 'deceptive advertising', she was refunded and allowed to keep the mushrooms. The staff then hurriedly removed the misleading tag from the shelf.

But this isn't just about a 50-cent discrepancy on a pack of mushrooms. Element believes this incident points to a larger issue of corporate greed and disregard for customers.

'Sadly, I think it's what we've come to expect from large corporations determined to make massive profits at the expense of their customers. There's [a] total disregard for [the] morality of their behaviour...It's dead dodgy,' she said.

Element's experience has resonated with many Australians, who have shared their own stories of similar pricing discrepancies at Coles.

Social media is rife with examples of 'specials' that are anything but, with some price differences being even more significant.

In one instance, a six-pack of mini tarts was marked at $15 on the specials tag, only for the original tag to reveal its true original price before it was $9.50.

This comes at a time when Coles and Woolworths are under investigation for alleged price gouging during the current cost of living crisis. You can read more about this story here.

Coles has confirmed that the price tag in question at the Tuggeranong store has been 'corrected'. However, they did not respond to accusations that this was a deliberate strategy.

'Coles takes clear and accurate pricing information on tickets very seriously,' a spokesperson said.

'We always aim to ensure that our specials represent value for our customers and have confirmed that the special tickets were indeed correct in these instances.'

While Coles maintains that this was an isolated incident, it's a good reminder for shoppers to stay vigilant.

Here are some tips to ensure you're getting a real deal:
  • Always check the original price: If the original price is hidden, ask a staff member or check a similar item nearby.
  • Compare prices: Use your smartphone to compare prices with other stores.
  • Know your rights: If you believe you've been misled, don't be afraid to speak up. You have the right to accurate pricing information.
As consumers, we have the power to hold corporations accountable for their actions. By staying informed and vigilant, we can ensure that we're getting the best value for our money.

Key Takeaways
  • A Coles shopper in Canberra found a discrepancy between the special price tag and the original price of a product, suggesting potential deceptive pricing practices.
  • After raising the issue, the shopper was refunded, and the staff removed the misleading price tag from the shelf.
  • The incident has sparked online discussions, with many Aussies sharing similar experiences of price discrepancies at Coles.
  • Coles is under investigation for price gouging, but it maintains that clear and accurate pricing is taken seriously and the specific issue has been corrected.

Have you experienced similar pricing discrepancies at your local supermarket? Share your stories in the comments below.

Sponsored
When it comes to shopping, everyone loves a good deal. But what if the 'specials' you're seeing aren't as budget-friendly as they seem?

That's the question being asked by Coles customers, who have recently uncovered a potentially deceptive pricing practice at the popular supermarket chain.

Rowan Element, a vigilant shopper from Canberra, has blown the whistle on a pricing discrepancy she discovered at her local Coles in Tuggeranong.

She noticed that the special price on a pack of sliced mushrooms was actually higher than the original price tag hidden behind it.

View attachment 38815
A Coles shopper reported to the supermarket manager a ‘deceptive advertising’ of a mushroom product. Image: Facebook/@Rowan Element

'I bought this humble pack of sliced mushrooms, they were on special “two for $6.50” or $4 for one. When I moved the specials tag, the price was $3.50...It is the first time that I’ve noticed something like this,' she told a news source.

'Clearly, Coles put the price up to make the “special” look better but forgot to take off the original price ticket.'

When she confronted the store manager about the 'deceptive advertising', she was refunded and allowed to keep the mushrooms. The staff then hurriedly removed the misleading tag from the shelf.

But this isn't just about a 50-cent discrepancy on a pack of mushrooms. Element believes this incident points to a larger issue of corporate greed and disregard for customers.

'Sadly, I think it's what we've come to expect from large corporations determined to make massive profits at the expense of their customers. There's [a] total disregard for [the] morality of their behaviour...It's dead dodgy,' she said.

Element's experience has resonated with many Australians, who have shared their own stories of similar pricing discrepancies at Coles.

Social media is rife with examples of 'specials' that are anything but, with some price differences being even more significant.

In one instance, a six-pack of mini tarts was marked at $15 on the specials tag, only for the original tag to reveal its true original price before it was $9.50.

This comes at a time when Coles and Woolworths are under investigation for alleged price gouging during the current cost of living crisis. You can read more about this story here.

Coles has confirmed that the price tag in question at the Tuggeranong store has been 'corrected'. However, they did not respond to accusations that this was a deliberate strategy.

'Coles takes clear and accurate pricing information on tickets very seriously,' a spokesperson said.

'We always aim to ensure that our specials represent value for our customers and have confirmed that the special tickets were indeed correct in these instances.'

While Coles maintains that this was an isolated incident, it's a good reminder for shoppers to stay vigilant.

• Always check the original price: If the original price is hidden, ask a staff member or check a similar item nearby.
  • Know your rights: If you believe you've been misled, don't be afraid to speak up. You have the right to accurate pricing information.
As consumers, we have the power to hold corporations accountable for their actions. By staying informed and vigilant, we can ensure that we're getting the best value for our money.

Key Takeaways

• A Coles shopper in Canberra found a discrepancy between the special price tag and the original price of a product, suggesting potential deceptive pricing practices.
  • After raising the issue, the shopper was refunded, and the staff removed the misleading price tag from the shelf.
  • The incident has sparked online discussions, with many Aussies sharing similar experiences of price discrepancies at Coles.
  • Coles is under investigation for price gouging, but it maintains that clear and accurate pricing is taken seriously and the specific issue has been corrected.

Have you experienced similar pricing discrepancies at your local supermarket? Share your stories in the comments below.
This happened quite a few years ago with Woolies. I had been buying box of dry cat food for a certain price. ( can't remember the price ) anyway that price jump up to a price you certainly notice. It stayed like that for about a month. Then all of sudden it dropped back down to the same price as before, it got me so mad that it had a tag that said special. When I spoke to a worker about it, it went through one ear and out the other.
Take care

This is what happens when the majors buy out all of the competition and end up having a monopoly. Because there is little choice the huge supermarkets have all the control. I remember as a kid there were so many different supermarkets all competing against each other, only to be bought out by the majors. It is the same with hardware, Bunnings has taken away all other competition. All the family run stores could not compete. We are told there are better economies of purchase and reduced costs - but when the competition is gone then we have what we have now - control and greed = profits first.

View attachment 38815

Key Takeaways

Since the supply issues post covid, everyone imo have jumped on the bandwagon jacking up prices and driving up inflation, I doubt there are few who are not gouging.

View attachment 38815

Key Takeaways

I have experienced Coles deceptive attitude for months. They put the price of an item up ; as an example.....the price has been $5.50 for a while, then there's a tag offering it at $6.50, on special for $6.00. You are paying more now, and it's supposedly on "special". I have emailed them about their deceptive practices, but no reply.
I used to get surveys, but as I exposed their little game, quite often.....I don't get surveys anymore.
Carsrme.

Not only Cole's

View attachment 38815

Key Takeaways

, Not only Cole's ,I always check behind tags

We noticed this at K marts black Friday sales. Their specials were the same as the price below. We walked out in disgust. Don't try to pretend it is on special when it clearly is not.

I think that would be False advertising. It would be a legal fight though.

View attachment 38815

Key Takeaways

Also happens in any retail store I learner a long time ago look behind sale sign for the original price
You will be in shock at his many stores do this

Reactions: Leodalion63

View attachment 38815

Key Takeaways

My local Woolworths, (Camberwell, Vic) replaces products that are on special but sold out with a different, more expensive product in the space the special is supposed be in.

Never mind Coles price gouging, Kmart is no different. Yesterday I purchased 2x3 pack of ladies full briefs. One pack was marked $11.00 another had a yellow discount sticker for $9.00 over a $13.00, but when each item was scanned the price for both items scanned at $13.00. I notified a supervisor who changed the priced down and apologised. No freebies there only price I disputed.

I would have thought in these economic times we are experiencing that everyone would be diligent and look behind the “special tag”.
I for one am not an overly trusting sole, so when shopping, I always take a look, be it at the supermarket, department store, shoe shop, surprising what is behind those tags!!

View attachment 38815

Key Takeaways

They are thieving bastards customer's and farmer's all for the mighty dollar 💵 all they are worried about is profits 📈 F#ck everyone else price gouging simple mongrels 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

View attachment 38815

Key Takeaways

Easy fix - if the supermarket is being disgraceful/distrustful with their prices on tickets - don't buy the item/s from them go elsewhere.
OR pull them up on it - under the scanning practice code if you go scan it and then complain (go with them so they can not pull one of the tickets off and say it was not there) about the price discrepancy - you should get it free then as it scanned higher than the ticket price (if they are honest they will allow it as the original ticket shows lower). If you complain before the checkout scan they will amend the price and you will pay for it. Mose well punish them no matter how small for the error/deceit.
I used to work on a checkout and these ideas are far from new would see these happen quite often, but every bit helps these days - mose well keep the supermarkets honest.

View attachment 38815

Key Takeaways