You won't believe what this Australia Post worker did: Queensland woman outraged by 'unacceptable' parking act

How many times have you seen a car parked in a disabled parking space without a valid permit and without any regard for people with disabilities? A local woman from Queensland has come forward and shared her experience, hoping to raise awareness and enforcement of disabled parking spaces.

1682302075604.png
Should the misuse of disabled parking be reprimanded more? Image source: Shutterstock.

In a Facebook post, Lisa Callahan exposed an Australia Post driver who was captured parking in a disabled space at a chemist in the Ipswich suburb of Karalee, southwest of Brisbane.

The Australia Post driver had no disability permit displayed on their car, and to make matters even worse, Lisa Callahan even witnessed an older woman with a disabled permit struggling to find a parking space elsewhere.

She wrote on Facebook: '(The) driver’s laziness led to (an) elderly lady WITH a permit having to park opposite and hobble across the road.' As a result, Lisa decided to lodge a complaint with Australia Post.

An Australia Post spokesperson spoke to 7NEWS.com.au about the incident: 'We sincerely apologise for the actions of this delivery contractor and any inconvenience caused. This lapse in judgement falls well below the high standards we expect of our team members.'

'It’s especially disappointing given Australia Post prides itself on its commitment to inclusion and diversity, both across our workforce and within our communities. We’ve spoken to the contractor and taken steps to ensure this doesn’t happen again.'

The post sparked outrage from the online community, and rightly so, with many people pointing out that disability parking spaces are for disabled people only.

‘There are NO excuses or policies to say otherwise. If they are not disabled, displaying a permit, they can (f*** off),’ one person said.

Another Facebook user said parking in the spaces reserved for those with a disability permit ‘is wrong and this is definitely inexcusable.’

According to regulatory standards legislated in 2011, the parking spaces are there: 'To ensure that dignified, equitable, cost-effective and reasonably achievable access to buildings, and facilities and services within buildings, is provided for people with disability.'

Unfortunately, it’s not the first time Ms Callahan has reported a car illegally parked in a disability space. Back in 2021, Lisa caught another driver parking in a disability space without a permit. She shared that a Queensland Police officer also saw the driver illegally parked in the spot and the officer asked if she would be willing to take the offender to court.

After much deliberation, the offender was given a fine of several thousand dollars, which included court costs and a higher fine for taking it to court.

‘(He) asked if I would be prepared to go to court? Of course, I said I would and started to tell him how frustrating it was.’

‘He said: “It’s OK, you don’t have to justify it”.’

Ms Callahan explained that Queensland Police attended the man’s residence to issue a fine, which was later disputed and escalated to court.

‘I had to wait outside with the officer involved while the alleged offender was in the courtroom. The prosecutor came out and told us he finally admitted to the charge, after using every excuse in the book.’

Thankfully, the judge reprimanded the man.

‘Instead of the original fine of several hundred dollars, he ended up with (a fine of) several thousand, which included court costs and a higher fine for taking it to court,’ Ms Callahan said.

‘Justice well and truly prevailed.’

With all of this in mind, members, it is important for us to educate ourselves and our loved ones about the crucial importance of disabled parking spaces. Please make sure you abide by the laws and respect the rights of those who truly need them.

If you have any thoughts, opinions, or stories of your own to share about disabled parking space laws, please let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
I have a Disability Parking permit and it is almost every time that I drive somewhere that the Disability space is taken by drivers who are not displaying a permit. One time I was threatened with assault for speaking to one such driver. Supermarkets are very regular as they are near the front door and drivers grab them.

I have a Disability Parking permit and it is almost every time that I drive somewhere that the Disability space is taken by drivers who are not displaying a permit. One time I was threatened with assault for speaking to one such driver. Supermarkets are very regular as they are near the front door and drivers grab them.
I hear you John - I drive for my mother and my mother-in-law, who both have disability permits and do not drive themselves, and I have experienced the same problem repeatedly. I would say about 90% of the time. On one occasion, the security guard at our local shopping centre and I both saw a seemingly able-bodied person without a permit park in a disability bay when there were many empty bays a short distance away. Too bloody lazy to walk a few extra metres. When I complained to the guard, he stated that the shopping centre had instructed him to ignore it, allegedly because they don't want to alienate those customers.

When you are unjustly treated, yes I would take anyone to court. 100% within my rights to get these selfish people pay for their error (errors)
My cleaning business was told by a real estate agent that the Bond money was wholly returned to their client, having been told the home had been cleaned. For that massive clean up, my cost was $1800, took all day, staff of three and I said "You are going to court" He said "We'll see about that"
After days of photos, paperwork, time sheets and witnesses from neighbours, I did what I said and WON!!
Got re-imbursed with honors. Don't ever cross me!

How many times have you seen a car parked in a disabled parking space without a valid permit and without any regard for people with disabilities? A local woman from Queensland has come forward and shared her experience, hoping to raise awareness and enforcement of disabled parking spaces.

View attachment 18122
Should the misuse of disabled parking be reprimanded more? Image source: Shutterstock.

In a Facebook post, Lisa Callahan exposed an Australia Post driver who was captured parking in a disabled space at a chemist in the Ipswich suburb of Karalee, southwest of Brisbane.

The Australia Post driver had no disability permit displayed on their car, and to make matters even worse, Lisa Callahan even witnessed an older woman with a disabled permit struggling to find a parking space elsewhere.

She wrote on Facebook: '(The) driver’s laziness led to (an) elderly lady WITH a permit having to park opposite and hobble across the road.' As a result, Lisa decided to lodge a complaint with Australia Post.

An Australia Post spokesperson spoke to 7NEWS.com.au about the incident: 'We sincerely apologise for the actions of this delivery contractor and any inconvenience caused. This lapse in judgement falls well below the high standards we expect of our team members.'

'It’s especially disappointing given Australia Post prides itself on its commitment to inclusion and diversity, both across our workforce and within our communities. We’ve spoken to the contractor and taken steps to ensure this doesn’t happen again.'

The post sparked outrage from the online community, and rightly so, with many people pointing out that disability parking spaces are for disabled people only.

‘There are NO excuses or policies to say otherwise. If they are not disabled, displaying a permit, they can (f*** off),’ one person said.

Another Facebook user said parking in the spaces reserved for those with a disability permit ‘is wrong and this is definitely inexcusable.’

According to regulatory standards legislated in 2011, the parking spaces are there: 'To ensure that dignified, equitable, cost-effective and reasonably achievable access to buildings, and facilities and services within buildings, is provided for people with disability.'

Unfortunately, it’s not the first time Ms Callahan has reported a car illegally parked in a disability space. Back in 2021, Lisa caught another driver parking in a disability space without a permit. She shared that a Queensland Police officer also saw the driver illegally parked in the spot and the officer asked if she would be willing to take the offender to court.

After much deliberation, the offender was given a fine of several thousand dollars, which included court costs and a higher fine for taking it to court.

‘(He) asked if I would be prepared to go to court? Of course, I said I would and started to tell him how frustrating it was.’

Ms Callahan explained that Queensland Police attended the man’s residence to issue a fine, which was later disputed and escalated to court.

‘I had to wait outside with the officer involved while the alleged offender was in the courtroom. The prosecutor came out and told us he finally admitted to the charge, after using every excuse in the book.’

‘Instead of the original fine of several hundred dollars, he ended up with (a fine of) several thousand, which included court costs and a higher fine for taking it to court,’ Ms Callahan said.

With all of this in mind, members, it is important for us to educate ourselves and our loved ones about the crucial importance of disabled parking spaces. Please make sure you abide by the laws and respect the rights of those who truly need them.

If you have any thoughts, opinions, or stories of your own to share about disabled parking space laws, please let us know in the comments below!
same here in VIC, at our local shopping centers there two, is impossible to get a disable spot due to people picking up takeaway and from 6pm onwards every spot is filled by vehicles without stickers, also noticed those that have them most are way out of date, they need to update sticker design. Council will do nothing about disable parking, don’t get me started about bunnings very few disable spots and nearly always tradies

i once parked without my disability card and when i returned to the car i had a ticket of $280???.I rushed to the police station with my card in hand and very apologetic and got off. this was all due to my partner not displaying my card and i did not realise. He had a thing about displaying it but now has a different view.

My daughter drives me everywhere and it is increasingly harder to get a Disability Parking spot. What really upsets me is the judgemental people who don't realise that disabilities present differently. Not everybody has a limb missing.. I have Parkinson's Disease as well as waiting on two surgeries so I use a wheelchair. People have called me lazy and other unrepeatable names as well as heaping a lot of abuse on my daughter. A police officer told us not to worry, take their details and share with the police service. I'd love to be healthy and able to park at the rear of car parks.

That is absolutely normal outside my Woolworths and Coles. Seniors, Disability and Mothers with Children spaces constantly filled with cars/ SUVs/utes from perfectly fit people of any age and with no kids and who couldn't give a damn. The security people are more interested in chatting with mates than even thinking about it.

But that's Australia.

same here in VIC, at our local shopping centers there two, is impossible to get a disable spot due to people picking up takeaway and from 6pm onwards every spot is filled by vehicles without stickers, also noticed those that have them most are way out of date, they need to update sticker design. Council will do nothing about disable parking, don’t get me started about bunnings very few disable spots and nearly always tradies
People picking up take-away are a real problem, particularly after 6:00 p.m. Believe it or not, in many places, such as the city, disability bays may not be free. They are fee payable, just like regular bays. And just like regular bays, there are often signs that say "Fee Payable 8.00 a.m. to 6.00 p.m." So people think that after 6:00 p.m. they cease being disability bays and anyone can park there. I know someone who is a parking inspector and he frequently has parking violators point out to him that it is after 6:00 p.m. and he asks them if they think disabled people don't go out after 6:00 p.m. He then has to explain to them that the disability bays are ALWAYS disability bays - the sign just indicates when you have to pay and when you don't.

Letting the tyres down sounds like good punishment but you don’t want to be caught doing it!! Could face some violence, and we all know if the offending parking person can park in a disability place then they will also not stop at violence against anyone.

View attachment 18122

I agree that the law should be upheld but this ‘becoming of the disabled parking police’ is twisted also!
Does this women have nothing to do or why so much anger to offload???
Just take care of yourself and family, if you have one!
Too much!!! Too far!

View attachment 18122

I think all disable parking should be monitored everyday. My daughter takes me shopping and sometimes we can't find a parking cos a car was parked in the disable parking without a permit it's so annoying 😒

Reactions: Jarred Santos
That is absolutely normal outside my Woolworths and Coles. Seniors, Disability and Mothers with Children spaces constantly filled with cars/ SUVs/utes from perfectly fit people of any age and with no kids and who couldn't give a damn. The security people are more interested in chatting with mates than even thinking about it.

But that's Australia.
I am all about getting those using disabled parking spots getting their just dues, but I get very annoyed by spaces near shopping centres reserved for mothers with prams. These are not illegal for others to park in but why does a young (usually) person with a pram get priority. They are not carrying their child and they dont need large spaces to get them out, but often to park their great big cars. It is to get the shoppers in and these are the ones they target mostly.

Last edited:
I have two Bunnings opposite sides of city where I am, and there are NO disabled spots.