You won't believe what this Aussie tourist asked for in a Chinese toilet

Embarking on an international adventure often comes with its fair share of cultural surprises, from unfamiliar traditions to eating unusual and exotic foods.

But for one Australian tourist, the challenge wasn't in the language or the cuisine—it was an unexpected struggle that captured the hearts and laughter of millions online.

For one Australian tourist, Samantha Harrison, her recent trip to Beijing, China, turned into a comical journey as she attempted to master the art of using a squat toilet.

Unfamiliar with the proper technique and keen to avoid messy mishaps, Samantha and her friend sought assistance.

The duo's quest for toilet training turned into a sensation when they enlisted the help of a local woman, who happened to be cleaning the facilities at the restaurant where they were dining.

compressed-shutterstock_2332995675.jpeg
Squat toilets are a common sight in many parts of Asia, Africa, and the Middle East. Image Source: Shutterstock / SutidaS

Language barriers can often be a hurdle while travelling, but in this case, it only added to the hilarity.

With words failing them, they resorted to a universal form of communication—demonstration and laughter.

Harrison said, ‘We were trying to ask by using actions how she uses the toilet.’

‘And so we brought her into the toilet cubicle with us and were showing her how we could hold a squat, and asked if we were doing it right.'

'She was like, “No, no” and was [showing us how to] squat but with her knees together. It was so funny because I can't squat like she can, apparently, the way we were squatting was wrong.’

Harrison's video shows the three women in fits of laughter as the local cleaner attempts to instruct them on the correct squatting posture, knees together, to avoid the dreaded ‘backsplash.’

‘We couldn't figure out how to squat without getting it all over the floor.’

The video, showcasing this impromptu ‘tutorial’, has since amassed over five million views, turning a simple toilet trip into an international comedy hit.

Harrison expressed her surprise at the video's success, noting the power of laughter as a universal language that transcends cultural differences.

She said, ‘I feel like laughter is the universal language. Everyone's laughing and can relate.’

‘You can really hear the happiness and the laughter from [the local woman]. It feels like a wholesome video.’

The video's comments section became a confessional of sorts, with many travellers sharing their struggles with adapting to squat toilets.

One commenter said, ‘[Oh my God], this was SO HARD when I was in China.’

Another shared, ‘I stopped wearing pants altogether because I couldn't understand how they peed with their pants down and it not going all over their jeans.’

Source: TikTok / @samharrisonnnnn

Most commenters, however, simply noted the genuine laughter in the video.

One user said, ‘The way they laugh at each other is like they have known each other a long time.’

Another user added, ‘My new goal in life is to make someone laugh this hard when we don't even speak the same language.’

This light-hearted encounter serves as a reminder of the joy and connection that can be found in the most unexpected places, even in the confines of a toilet cubicle.

It's a testament to the fact that, sometimes, the most memorable travel experiences come from the simplest human interactions.

For seasoned travellers, this story might bring back memories of their travel escapades and the challenges of navigating new customs.

It's a humorous nod to the adaptability and open-mindedness required when stepping out of our comfort zones and into the wider world.

Are you curious about what foreigners find to be new and exciting experiences in Land Down Under? An American tourist shared their Australian adventure here.
Key Takeaways

• An Australian tourist in China had a humorous experience learning how to use squat toilets and shared the encounter on social media.
  • Samantha Harrison found the tutorial on using the facilities so amusing that her video amassed over five million views.
  • The Queensland business owner and her friend sought help from a local cleaner due to challenges with the toilet method and the language barrier.
  • Many people related to the video in the comments, sharing their own travel toilet troubles and praising the genuine laughter shared across cultural divides.
We'd love to hear about your travel tales and the funny, perplexing, or endearing cultural lessons you've learned. Have you ever faced a similar situation while abroad? Tell your stories in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sponsored
I was thinking about taking a trip to China next year. Now I don't know. I can't squat. Are there english toilets over there?

Reactions: Dynamo and Gsr
Yep, definitely need some English style toilets, there would be many many tourists who wouldn’t be able to squat anymore to use a toilet. There are obviously some tourists who visit australia who still squat on the English style toilets we have. When we travelled through Victoria and Tasmania a lot of toilets in tourist stops had a picture in them showing how to sit on the toilet and a picture showing a figure squatting on a toilet with a cross through it showing it was the wrong way to use the toilet.

Back in the 1960s, we lived in Belgium. The first time my mother visited a public toilet, she was horrified as they were unisex. If there were cubicles with doors, fine, but there were also urinals being used by gentlemen, in full view of everyone. Mum always made sure there was nobody in the loos before she would use them 🤣🤣

This article reminded me of two female friends of my mother's who were visiting Israel in the 70s.
When they had finished using the public toilets during a long hot outing they complimented the guide on what a wonderfully caring country it is, having basins in the ablutions to cool and wash your feet.
They all cracked up laughing hysterically when the blushing guide told them it was the men's urinal!

1990- France- countryside, coaches stopped a t a loo in the park. When the door was opened there wasn't even a pan like the one in the video above. It was a slightly sunken floor with a drain along the back .

2007- India is the same. In a group of toilets rather than a stand alone, they usually had a western toilet. We were lucky the accomodation our friend living over there booked us a room with a western toilet, but all paper went into an open basket next to it. Stand alone no paper! But a n old rusty tin with a tap above it to wash your hand.

2009- Egypt- western toilets like the ones used at events, but a guy stood outside and rolled off some paper from his roll and handed to the person as you went in. Needless to say we had our own wipes/tissues and antiseptic.

Reactions: Ezzy
1990- France- countryside, coaches stopped a t a loo in the park. When the door was opened there wasn't even a pan like the one in the video above. It was a slightly sunken floor with a drain along the back .

2007- India is the same. In a group of toilets rather than a stand alone, they usually had a western toilet. We were lucky the accomodation our friend living over there booked us a room with a western toilet, but all paper went into an open basket next to it. Stand alone no paper! But a n old rusty tin with a tap above it to wash your hand.

2009- Egypt- western toilets like the ones used at events, but a guy stood outside and rolled off some paper from his roll and handed to the person as you went in. Needless to say we had our own wipes/tissues and antiseptic.
1992 - India on the River Ganges. People doing their business from both orifices while people were washing their hair 10 metres downstream. What a bunch of uncivilised chumps!

• Wow
Reactions: DLHM and Ezzy
1992 - India on the River Ganges. People doing their business from both orifices while people were washing their hair 10 metres downstream. What a bunch of uncivilised chumps!
too right and in the street. We saw this in Rishikesh along the Ganges as well. Stop wherever you are apparently. in the street, against a wall.....

Sounds like the toilet blocks @ the Railway Workshops where l did my apprenticeship 1968 - 1972 in W.A.. Someone sat in a room as you entered the block & we quoted our time check number which he wrote down with our arrival time while you reeled some paper from the roll, tore it off & went looking for an empty cubicle. Though never strictly timed we were generally allowed 8 minutes. The guy never wrote down the time we exited & if you timed it right, the guy in this block could be sleeping with the blind down & didn't take your number down. This meant an opportunity to go to another block later in the day or return there with reading material. (I really hated that job & the foreman).

On one occasion at this block while quietly doing my business the door suddenly flew open & the guy from the room started to hose the floor around me. Not funny Dave!

• Wow
Reactions: Jennylolo and DLHM
too right and in the street. We saw this in Rishikesh along the Ganges as well. Stop wherever you are apparently. in the street, against a wall.....
I don't whether it's the same anymore but once you got away from the tourist areas in Singapore it's the same as everywhere else in Singapore Piss and shite everywhere?

Reactions: Ezzy and Jennylolo